Stage 1

Options

Replies

• jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I'm about to start NROL (not 4W though) because a friend lent me this book and instead of buying the one 4W I decided to just go ahead and use this one. I think the exercises are the same though so I was wondering if I could participate in this group. (I had to join in order to post this).

I'm trying to figure out the weights from early though and for this first stage I'm to do a Close-Grip Lat Pulldown. If you've done this before, what weight did you start out using? I've basically figured out for the rest of the exercises in this stage because I did P90X right before this. Any help would be really appreciated.
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did my first AMRAP workout today. I know a lot of people here skip them but I was curious to see how many reps I'd be able to pull off. I decided to use my Workout 2A/2B numbers because I totally guessed weights in 1A/1B and I often felt like I could have done more than 15. I hadn't totally maxed out with the 2A/2B weights, but it was closer.

It was so fun, you guys.

I did 50 squats, 50 pushups (I feel like I'm terrible at pushups and I couldn't believe it when the first 20 -- at the 6th Smith machine peg-- were done with hardly any effort), 65 step-ups (I did 10 per side then switched so I wouldn't get worn out on one side and not be able to do the other side. So it was 65 per side and I felt like I might have been able to do 5-10 more but it was getting ridiculous), 30 seated rows, and 20 prone jackknives.

I don't have my worksheets on me, but I think my 2A to 8A numbers are:
    Squats: 55 - 95 (I finally got to put the 25 lb weights on the Oly bar!)
    Push-ups: 6th Smith peg to 3rd
    Seated rows: 40 lbs - 70 lbs
    Step-ups: 15 lbs per side with 3 risers -> 35 lbs per side with 4 risers
    Prone jackknive: body weight then and now
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I'm about to start NROL (not 4W though) because a friend lent me this book and instead of buying the one 4W I decided to just go ahead and use this one. I think the exercises are the same though so I was wondering if I could participate in this group. (I had to join in order to post this).

I'm trying to figure out the weights from early though and for this first stage I'm to do a Close-Grip Lat Pulldown. If you've done this before, what weight did you start out using? I've basically figured out for the rest of the exercises in this stage because I did P90X right before this. Any help would be really appreciated.

The 1st stage for women calls for the wide grip but I think the numbers may be similar. I'd start with 50, do a rep, and adjust up or down from there. Good luck!
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

The 1st stage for women calls for the wide grip but I think the numbers may be similar. I'd start with 50, do a rep, and adjust up or down from there. Good luck!

Thank you so much!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I did my first AMRAP workout today. I know a lot of people here skip them but I was curious to see how many reps I'd be able to pull off. I decided to use my Workout 2A/2B numbers because I totally guessed weights in 1A/1B and I often felt like I could have done more than 15. I hadn't totally maxed out with the 2A/2B weights, but it was closer.

It was so fun, you guys.

I did 50 squats, 50 pushups (I feel like I'm terrible at pushups and I couldn't believe it when the first 20 -- at the 6th Smith machine peg-- were done with hardly any effort), 65 step-ups (I did 10 per side then switched so I wouldn't get worn out on one side and not be able to do the other side. So it was 65 per side and I felt like I might have been able to do 5-10 more but it was getting ridiculous), 30 seated rows, and 20 prone jackknives.

SERIOUSLY AWESOME! WTG!
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options

It was so fun, you guys.

SERIOUSLY AWESOME! WTG!

Thanks!!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I haven't done AMRAP yet, but I wanted to share my Workout A progress, since I did A8 this morning. I'm thrilled with my changes!

SQUAT: Smith Bar Only --> 75 lb. squat rack

PUSHUP: 45-60 degree incline --> 30-45 degree incline.

*It's hard for me to tell what degree I'm at, but I started with a bar just below chest level, and I ended up using the Smith Machine bar about half-way through. On Workout A5, I was on the 8th peg up from the bottom, and today I did 2 sets on the 6th peg from the bottom, and one set on the 5th peg from the bottom.

SEATED ROW: 40 lb. --> 105 lb.

STEP-UP: 40 lb. (20 lb. in each hand on aerobic step with 2 risers) --> 55 lb. (27.5 lb. in each hand on a FreeMotion Step platform set to the 3rd peg from the top).

PRONE JACKKNIFE: 11/12 reps --> 15 reps

*On these, that during my first Workout A, I didn't know I was only supposed to try for 8, so I tried for 15 like everything else that day. I felt like an idiot getting onto the ball, and while I was doing them, I fell off in my first set after 12, and my 2nd set after only 11. In retrospect, I guess it was good that I did more than 8 on both sets, but today I pretty easily completed 3 sets of 15. =)

Not bad for a fat girl venturing into free weights for the first time ever, if I do say so myself. And even though the scale hasn't moved much (I was 190 when I started, and waver bet. 188.5-193 now), I've gone from wearing size 18 jeans to size 14. =)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Not bad for a fat girl venturing into free weights for the first time ever, if I do say so myself. And even though the scale hasn't moved much (I was 190 when I started, and waver bet. 188.5-193 now), I've gone from wearing size 18 jeans to size 14. =)

That's pretty awesome. I'll be pleased if I even -loosen- these pants let alone 2 sizes! GO YOU.
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    And even though the scale hasn't moved much (I was 190 when I started, and waver bet. 188.5-193 now), I've gone from wearing size 18 jeans to size 14. =)

Love this!!! :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm done! Finished stage 1. You can read all about it on my blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cirka2002/view/finished-stage-1-263160

But here it is in a nutshell:

Workout A
    Squats - BW > 100lbs (my goal was 100! YAY!)
    Push Ups - almost waist high boxing ring > knee high bench (These sucked and I didn't progress as much as I would have liked. I really wanted to be able to do the last ones on the floor.)
    Dumbell Bent over Row - 2/5lb dumbells >Seated Row on machine - 70lbs
    Step Ups - 2/5lb dumbells and 12" step > 2/25lb dumbells and 15" step (I had done 2/30lb dumbells and the same 12" step, but for my last workout I went up to the 15", so I went down a bit in weight.)
    Prone Jacknife - waaay too difficult! > better, but not as good as I wanted ( I could only stay on the ball for about 8-10 reps before I fell off.)

Workout B
    Dead Lift - 55lbs > 95lbs (My goal was 100lbs....so close!)
    Dumbell shoulder press - 2/5lb dumbells > 2/15lb dumbells
    Pullover - 15lb dumbell > wide gap lat pull down - 55lbs
    Lunges - 2/5lb dumbells > 2/15lb dumbells ( I still don't like lunges, but I see the progress they make!)
    Swiss Ball crunch - arms crossed > 35lbs on chest ( I found these waaay to easy, but had trouble when holding weights over my head, so I stuck with heavy weights on my chest.)

weight - 166.5lbs > 162.9lbs
    hips - 43" > 43" (grrrr!)
    thighs - 26" > 25.5"
    narrowest part of waist - 30" > 29"
    BF% (based on my scale which reads LOW) - 27% > 25.8%
    BMI - 24 > 23.5

Keep up the good work everyone! :drinker:
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    OK, I'm done! Finished stage 1. You can read all about it on my blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cirka2002/view/finished-stage-1-263160

Workout A
    Push Ups - almost waist high boxing ring > knee high bench (These sucked and I didn't progress as much as I would have liked. I really wanted to be able to do the last ones on the floor.)
    Step Ups - 2/5lb dumbells and 12" step > 2/25lb dumbells and 15" step (I had done 2/30lb dumbells and the same 12" step, but for my last workout I went up to the 15", so I went down a bit in weight.)
    Prone Jacknife - waaay too difficult! > better, but not as good as I wanted ( I could only stay on the ball for about 8-10 reps before I fell off.)

Workout B
    Lunges - 2/5lb dumbells > 2/15lb dumbells ( I still don't like lunges, but I see the progress they make!)
    Swiss Ball crunch - arms crossed > 35lbs on chest ( I found these waaay to easy, but had trouble when holding weights over my head, so I stuck with heavy weights on my chest.)

thighs - 26" > 25.5"
    BMI - 24 > 23.5

completely awesome!
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    ok. I am going to ask. does anyone else completely suck at this during your TOM? I know I do. (at least, I HOPE it is about the TOM!)

I did 4A yesterday. Went down in ALL my weights and dropped in push ups, only doing 8 full on, full body weight ones.
    Then, I went ahead and run/walk/jogged/wogged for 2 miles. That was stinky too..

The worst part? I'm back at the weight I was May 1st! It's like a whole three weeks of work is out the window.

How do you get thru this?
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Just finished 4B today.. Im half way through and already lifting 95lbs on deadlifts and 90 on seated row and lat pulldowns..

Excited to see where i will be at the end of stage 1..

I do have a hard time keeping my grip through the 2nd set of deadlifts though... my fingers slip and i have to reset.
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Workout A

Workout B

thighs - 26" > 25.5"
    BMI - 24 > 23.5

Great results!!
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Did workout 4A today and totally owned it! Even with bruises from pole and continued DOMS from kettlebells on monday. So pumped for fridays workout. :bigsmile:
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am so pumped!! I am doing the last workou 9B today!!! Then I will be taking some wonderful time off (a week) to let my body rest while I party the weekend away for memorial day on our 10 annual float trip! I will post Stage 1 Results friday morning :)
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Finished Stage 1 today!!!
    I'll post results later when I have a bit more time...

I won't be doing amrap but I can see how that would be fun too. I'm just ready to try the next set of exercises and feel the DOMS!!!
  • stacygb
    stacygb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am so excited! I did the first workout last night after my cardio pump class! I can't wait for tomorrows workout!
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Did 7A today.

Barbells squat 75
    Push ups- ON THE FLOOR!!!!!! I can't believe it. I was struggling at waist height when I started!
    Barbell bent over row- (sub for no row machine) 75lbs
    Dumbell step ups- 15" with 20lb dumbells so 40lbs total- really pushed me today!
    Prone jack knife- did 15 with great control until the 3rd set- then I got through about 10 in really good form and struggled through the last 3.

I can't believe how much stronger I've gotten. I have yet to lose a single pound but I'm down inches and a pants size since starting. I'll post all my stats when I finish stage 1.

keep up the great work everyone!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Finished my last A workout today. Sup wasup!

My squat numbers are a little sketchy. Some workouts there was absolutely no other option but the hack squat machine (twice). It's actually a decent alternative to a regular squat except you're missing the core benefit due to balancing. Plus, even today I just wasn't 100% comfortable (even in the squat rack) going to fatigue. One time I almost didn't make it up and I just didn't want to *actually* not be able to get up. Anyways, went from around 45lbs 15 times to 105lb 8 times. I think I can probably do maybe 120 8 times but I just don't want to risk it.

Seated row 50 -> 70
    Pushups -- all on the floor
    Step ups - 5lb dumbell/hand -> 20 lb dumbell/hand HUGE gain here. It helped getting to do 8 instead of 15.
    Prone jacknife - 2 sets of 8 -> 3 sets of 12. Love these things. They're killer (and I thought they were easy at first. Hmmph).

I lost an inch in my waste and GAINED a half inch on my already gargantuan thighs (those are my thighs in my avatar. From 5 years ago. They're my goal).

Ready for my last B workout and then stage 2. So far I've had huge gains in deadlifts. Started at 60lbs and at 7b did 125lb (I actually did 135lb but could only squeek out 4 of those babies so had the drop the weight back down to finish the set).