Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Plugging along here... managing so far to eat my cals and do my normal thing. I havent peeked on the scale even though it is killing me to have a look.. but I promised.. not until next week:)
    Today is a NROL day and I have a kid home with the chicken pox, so hopefully we can make it through the rest of hte week and weekend without too much trouble..

The more the days go by, the more I know this is the right thing to do.. As much as it pains me to not be losing weight over this period, I know in the long run it will serve me better.

It's good to hear an uplift in your post today, with or without something to give you a boost in that direction....you've been so frustrated. :smile: When we get to a point of pushing through, and finding peace in the situation no matter what happens, that is a good place to be! I hope you are getting closer and closer to that point!
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    Eating at TDEE/Metabolism Reset Start Date - 5/8/12 (without realizing it) I thought I was eating at my 15% cut.. long story :( but I'm halfway done!

How long do you plan to eat at TDEE? - 4 weeks almost done, 4 more weeks (EKKKKK! :) )

Describe your reasons for doing a metabolism reset. - To fix my metabolic damage :( It sucks big time, but I know after that I'll be able to feel better. I pray this is the answer. Math make sense, so I'm IN!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I guess this may be what I have been missing and I just stumbled across it today. I am doing Stronglifts and I feel my strength growing, but the scale doesn't move (I know, chunk it!) or yoyo's between 160-163. What I am concerned with is that I had calculated my TDEE at Fat2Fit at one point and it came up to 2525 so I had been going at -20%. Today, I went to the following three sites:

Fat2Fit (again) = 2173??
    Scoopy calculator = 2331
    Fitfrog=1805!!

These are obviously big differences. Granted, when I first calculated I was doing P90X so my activity level was different so that would explain the big difference, I guess. But you can see where I am very much confused :( I have a caliper and since starting stronglifts, my BF% has gone from 24% to 21%, so that is awesome.

What number do I go with? Do I finally splurge on the Fitbit I have been debating on so I can get an accurate TDEE to start from? Any help would be great!!

Weight: 160
    Height: 5'8"
    Stronglifts - 3 days a week.
  • jmmscccslp
    jmmscccslp Posts: 42
    Options
    I am amending what I posted earlier. I watched Kiki's video on metabolism reset. She mentioned that you can do it for 4, 6, 8, or more weeks. I think I'm going to start with 4 weeks. That will put me at TDEE for vacation and back to cut the week after vacation. I feel like that is good timing. Also, I'm not entirely sure I need a reset but am going to give it a try. I have actually been eating closer to TDEE-10% so I will only be upping my cals for the reset by about 250. Anyway, just wanted to amend my estimated time on the reset so I don't look like a quitter :wink:
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another board, but think this might be the more appropriate place for this question:

Trying to figure out my best mode of action.....we have 2 sons playing baseball one of whom plays for 2 separate teams. often my days are filled with 1 if not 2 ball games. plus I work full time and I'm trying to maintain a good marriage.... I started with em2wl at my t d e e minus 15 percent.in my research I have found that I should have started at tdee....so I have reset my cals for maintenance to do the reset. It feels like it's the right thing to do for the next month or so. that way during baseball when my life is so crazy I can relax and try to reset well not going crazy about calories. anyone have an opinion?
    my stats:
    cw-214
    age 38
    bmr 1707
    tdee 2347 (I actually set just a little lower ;) )
    I was eating at -15% which was roughly 2000 cal/day,
    I am now set at 2250.

Does this make sense? Even though i was doing the tdee - 15%? Any help appreciated!!!
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another board, but think this might be the more appropriate place for this question:

Trying to figure out my best mode of action.....we have 2 sons playing baseball one of whom plays for 2 separate teams. often my days are filled with 1 if not 2 ball games. plus I work full time and I'm trying to maintain a good marriage.... I started with em2wl at my t d e e minus 15 percent.in my research I have found that I should have started at tdee....so I have reset my cals for maintenance to do the reset. It feels like it's the right thing to do for the next month or so. that way during baseball when my life is so crazy I can relax and try to reset well not going crazy about calories. anyone have an opinion?
    my stats:
    cw-214
    age 38
    bmr 1707
    I am now set at 2250.

Does this make sense? Even though i was doing the tdee - 15%? Any help appreciated!!!
    Hello and WELCOME!
    IMO, if your TDEE is 2347 and you really want to do a full reset, then eat 2347 each and every day! So, come on in...the water's fine!:flowerforyou:
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm on day 3 at full TDEE and while the first day was tough, the second was MUCH better because I ate more earlier in the day and cut down on high-volume veggies. Also, my clothes are actually fitting a little better! My weigh-in day is Friday and I fully expect to see a gain of some sort. The beautiful part, though, is that I'm really okay with that! Yippee for each and every one of us!! Here's to actually living life to its fullest!

You are all FABULOUS!! :flowerforyou:
  • ChrisNewmark
    Options
    how do you know if you need to do a metabolism reset?? My BMR is 1428 and my TDEE - 15% is 1881....so I've been eating 1881 calories unless I dont hit my bmr on workout days and then I eat back what I need to to get to the 1428... is this correct? i'm only on week 2.... cant tell if my weight is going up, down or holding steady as I'm not getting on the scale much. I hear alot of people talking about doing a reset and dont understand what it is, why you are doing it and when you need to do it... I also hear people talking about doing an "off" week.. what is that? thanks for your help.. sorry about all the ?'s, I'm a newbie :) lol
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I'm really considering this metabolism reset.. haven't heard about it til a few days ago and think it may be something I should give a try. What do I have to lose? Nothing really because I've been on a plateau for months losing and gaining the same few lbs (which are most likely water weight anyways). Just thinking of doing this for 8 weeks sounds kind of scary though lol. Maybe I'll give it 4 weeks and try and keep on til week 8, HELP!! :tongue: Would love the support and would love to have new EMTWL buddies.. FEEL FREE TO ADD ME!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    Options
    day 4 of metabolism reset...no longer want to throw up every time I see, smell or think of food :tongue: Excited I am getting a body media fit LINK in a few days hopefully that takes the guess work out and I can get the last 30 pounds off (after not loosing anything for the past 6 months :indifferent: )
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Ok people, I am scared as hell, but I'm in! After everything I've read, I see that I need this reset.

MY INFO

Rachael, 29, turning the dreaded 30 in July! Didn't want to be fat going into my 30's. Married for 10 years, have two girls, ages 8 and 2. I've been skinny my whole life, and fit! After my first pregnancy 8 years ago, I gained 55 lbs, and lost all about 5-7 of it. Worked out, didn't count calories, felt great! Gained a ton of weight with hormone therapy after having endometriosis and surgeries. Gained 60 lbs!!!! After a couple years of WW, working out, and watching what I ate, I lost most of it and got down to around 140 and was happy. Then got preggo again with twins, gained more weight, miscarried! Horrible time in my life, but I pulled it together and stayed healthy and lost that weight too. Now, I get preggo again about a year later and have a successful pregnancy and gained 58 more lbs, to my highest weight ever 205!!!

After having Aubrey, I did WW immediatly and lost about 35 lbs. Now I am at 163 ish. I've been counting calories, quit WW, did VLCD, Upp'd, and now doing the reset. I've tried everything else, so why not?

My goal weight is 130 lbs. I am 5'6. I want this and will work my butt off for it! I work out about 5-6 days per week. I do 2 cardio class days for 45 minutes, and then 3 strength training sessions. I just bought NROLFW and can't wait to start that when it comes in.

My TDEE is 2377 and BMR is 1541.

My start date will be today! Wish me luck!
  • julysbaby
    Options
    AND according to Scooby my TDEE is 2512!!!!! Should I go by that or the fitfrog site? Or should I average them? I know consistency is key though, no matter what!
  • MrsKosal
    Options
    I forgot to add my ?'s.

Do I eat back my workout calories? Whats the difference between doing this for 4 or 8 weeks? I think I'll start at 4, but don't want to cheat myself by not doing 8.
  • MrsKosal
    Options
    how do you know if you need to do a metabolism reset?? My BMR is 1428 and my TDEE - 15% is 1881....so I've been eating 1881 calories unless I dont hit my bmr on workout days and then I eat back what I need to to get to the 1428... is this correct? i'm only on week 2.... cant tell if my weight is going up, down or holding steady as I'm not getting on the scale much. I hear alot of people talking about doing a reset and dont understand what it is, why you are doing it and when you need to do it... I also hear people talking about doing an "off" week.. what is that? thanks for your help.. sorry about all the ?'s, I'm a newbie :) lol

I was doing exactly what you are doing, but only maintaining my weight. So I asked the same ?s and was told to do the reset.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    AND according to Scooby my TDEE is 2512!!!!! Should I go by that or the fitfrog site? Or should I average them? I know consistency is key though, no matter what!

I'm having this same issue! I am getting very different numbers from the different websites :frown:
  • quie618
    quie618 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to figuring this stuff out. Help me out here. These are my numbers according to Scooby:

TDEE: 2433
    TDEE - 15%: 2068
    BMR: 1570

If I'm doing a reset, I eat at TDEE but I don't net below BMR? Or are you netting at TDEE?

So confused and the more I read, the more confused I get! :ohwell:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to figuring this stuff out. Help me out here. These are my numbers according to Scooby:

TDEE: 2433
    TDEE - 15%: 2068
    BMR: 1570

If I'm doing a reset, I eat at TDEE but I don't net below BMR? Or are you netting at TDEE?

So confused and the more I read, the more confused I get! :ohwell:

On a day where there's no exercise you'll end up netting TDEE. But when you have exercise you'll net less than TDEE. As long as you net above BMR on workout days, you're good to go. Does that help?
  • julysbaby
    Options
    This is what I love!!! Your words hit home.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options

my stats:
    cw-214
    age 38
    bmr 1707
    I am now set at 2250.

I think that sounds like a perfect time to do a reset. I wish I had known about this when I was laid up this winter with a broken tailbone. I could have eaten more while I rested, but instead I drastically cut my calories and probably did more damage while losing all my muscle, ugh! Why are you afraid of that last 100 calories, lol?
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I guess this may be what I have been missing and I just stumbled across it today. I am doing Stronglifts and I feel my strength growing, but the scale doesn't move (I know, chunk it!) or yoyo's between 160-163. What I am concerned with is that I had calculated my TDEE at Fat2Fit at one point and it came up to 2525 so I had been going at -20%. Today, I went to the following three sites:

Fat2Fit (again) = 2173??
    Scoopy calculator = 2331
    Fitfrog=1805!!

These are obviously big differences. Granted, when I first calculated I was doing P90X so my activity level was different so that would explain the big difference, I guess. But you can see where I am very much confused :( I have a caliper and since starting stronglifts, my BF% has gone from 24% to 21%, so that is awesome.

What number do I go with? Do I finally splurge on the Fitbit I have been debating on so I can get an accurate TDEE to start from? Any help would be great!!

Weight: 160
    Height: 5'8"
    Stronglifts - 3 days a week.

I always understood fat to fit to base your calorie goals off of your GOAL weight. So it would naturally be lower than the calories based off of your current weight. Go with Scooby. I like the fat to fit site, but it doesn't work for this situation. Not sure why fitfrog is so low???