Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    AND according to Scooby my TDEE is 2512!!!!! Should I go by that or the fitfrog site? Or should I average them? I know consistency is key though, no matter what!

I'm having this same issue! I am getting very different numbers from the different websites :frown:

You are exactly right...consistency IS the key...but in answer to your question as it is...most of us use the scooby one because it goes by hours exercised instead of days...tends to be a little easier to get a more accurate number. I have found that the scooby calc has been close to my Body Media Fit numbers....the difference it is out is more due to me not quite realizing how much activity I do....

All the sites are estimates...but, my recommendation is the scooby one at this time as a good start to your journey. You may need to tweak things down the road, but start somewhere and work with that!
  • ChrisNewmark
    Options
    how do you know if you need to do a metabolism reset?? My BMR is 1428 and my TDEE - 15% is 1881....so I've been eating 1881 calories unless I dont hit my bmr on workout days and then I eat back what I need to to get to the 1428... is this correct? i'm only on week 2.... cant tell if my weight is going up, down or holding steady as I'm not getting on the scale much. I hear alot of people talking about doing a reset and dont understand what it is, why you are doing it and when you need to do it... I also hear people talking about doing an "off" week.. what is that? thanks for your help.. sorry about all the ?'s, I'm a newbie :) lol

I was doing exactly what you are doing, but only maintaining my weight. So I asked the same ?s and was told to do the reset.

Thanks for your reply. I'm wondering how long I should wait (since I've only been doing this EMTLW for not quite 2 weeks) until I try the reset? 4 weeks maybe? I would hope to see results by then. If I only maintain my current weight, then i would want to do a reset? And by a reset, that means eating my TDEE without taking into account the -15%?? What about working out? do I eat back those calories as well?
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    how do you know if you need to do a metabolism reset?? My BMR is 1428 and my TDEE - 15% is 1881....so I've been eating 1881 calories unless I dont hit my bmr on workout days and then I eat back what I need to to get to the 1428... is this correct? i'm only on week 2.... cant tell if my weight is going up, down or holding steady as I'm not getting on the scale much. I hear alot of people talking about doing a reset and dont understand what it is, why you are doing it and when you need to do it... I also hear people talking about doing an "off" week.. what is that? thanks for your help.. sorry about all the ?'s, I'm a newbie :) lol

I was doing exactly what you are doing, but only maintaining my weight. So I asked the same ?s and was told to do the reset.

Thanks for your reply. I'm wondering how long I should wait (since I've only been doing this EMTLW for not quite 2 weeks) until I try the reset? 4 weeks maybe? I would hope to see results by then. If I only maintain my current weight, then i would want to do a reset? And by a reset, that means eating my TDEE without taking into account the -15%?? What about working out? do I eat back those calories as well?

Your TDEE takes into consideration the amount you are currently working out. So you do not have to eat back those calories unless you burn so much that you are netting below your BMR. After eating TDEE for 4-8 weeks, you can then start eating at TDEE - 15% and will see a loss. I am starting mine today. Happy eating!
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add my ?'s.

Do I eat back my workout calories? Whats the difference between doing this for 4 or 8 weeks? I think I'll start at 4, but don't want to cheat myself by not doing 8.

I think this got answered above, but just in case,
    No, just eat at TDEE and don't worry about your exercise calories, they are figured into your TDEE when you selected your activity level. Hopefully you selected the appropriate one.
    Once in a while you may have an unusually high burn day and if so, just check to see that your net is not below BMR. If it is, eat a little to get it over BMR.
    If this happens a lot, then your activity level is probably set too low.

As far as how long to do it? I don't know. Obviously the longer the better chance of resetting the metabolism. I have heard others say the longer your were on vlcd the longer you should reset?

I plan to do at least 4 weeks, probably 6, possibly 8 if that helps.
  • quie618
    quie618 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to figuring this stuff out. Help me out here. These are my numbers according to Scooby:

TDEE: 2433
    TDEE - 15%: 2068
    BMR: 1570

If I'm doing a reset, I eat at TDEE but I don't net below BMR? Or are you netting at TDEE?

So confused and the more I read, the more confused I get! :ohwell:

On a day where there's no exercise you'll end up netting TDEE. But when you have exercise you'll net less than TDEE. As long as you net above BMR on workout days, you're good to go. Does that help?

Yes, thank you. Forgive me in advance if I ask this again. I'm commited and want to do it right the first time.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add my ?'s.

Do I eat back my workout calories? Whats the difference between doing this for 4 or 8 weeks? I think I'll start at 4, but don't want to cheat myself by not doing 8.

I think this got answered above, but just in case,
    No, just eat at TDEE and don't worry about your exercise calories, they are figured into your TDEE when you selected your activity level. Hopefully you selected the appropriate one.
    Once in a while you may have an unusually high burn day and if so, just check to see that your net is not below BMR. If it is, eat a little to get it over BMR.
    If this happens a lot, then your activity level is probably set too low.

As far as how long to do it? I don't know. Obviously the longer the better chance of resetting the metabolism. I have heard others say the longer your were on vlcd the longer you should reset?

I plan to do at least 4 weeks, probably 6, possibly 8 if that helps.

Thank you! I ended up answering my own ? by reading a little further into these threads. I am going to commit to 4 weeks and see how it goes. I didn't do a VLCD for very long, so I don't think I did too much damage, but definitely need a do over and want to get this all in check.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I guess this may be what I have been missing and I just stumbled across it today. I am doing Stronglifts and I feel my strength growing, but the scale doesn't move (I know, chunk it!) or yoyo's between 160-163. What I am concerned with is that I had calculated my TDEE at Fat2Fit at one point and it came up to 2525 so I had been going at -20%. Today, I went to the following three sites:

Fat2Fit (again) = 2173??
    Scoopy calculator = 2331
    Fitfrog=1805!!

These are obviously big differences. Granted, when I first calculated I was doing P90X so my activity level was different so that would explain the big difference, I guess. But you can see where I am very much confused :( I have a caliper and since starting stronglifts, my BF% has gone from 24% to 21%, so that is awesome.

What number do I go with? Do I finally splurge on the Fitbit I have been debating on so I can get an accurate TDEE to start from? Any help would be great!!

Weight: 160
    Height: 5'8"
    Stronglifts - 3 days a week.

I always understood fat to fit to base your calorie goals off of your GOAL weight. So it would naturally be lower than the calories based off of your current weight. Go with Scooby. I like the fat to fit site, but it doesn't work for this situation. Not sure why fitfrog is so low???

Thank you! I will see how this goes then! :smile:
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Gosh I feel like such an idiot when it comes to figuring this stuff out. Help me out here. These are my numbers according to Scooby:

If I'm doing a reset, I eat at TDEE but I don't net below BMR? Or are you netting at TDEE?

On a day where there's no exercise you'll end up netting TDEE. But when you have exercise you'll net less than TDEE. As long as you net above BMR on workout days, you're good to go. Does that help?

Wait, I thought this was clarified for me yesterday. You still eat your TDEE, even during workout days, and you should be netting your TDEE since exercise has been factored in already, hence TDEE. That is why some people choose not to log workouts, or only log 1 calorie per workout, so they can see the number they are at at a glance. Only concern is, if you cant meet your tdee for whatever reason, at least make sure that you are meeting your BMR.

Like me yesterday, I have 1700 tdee, set at goal, i worked out and burned 211 calories, net was 1675 because I didnt eat last 25 calories, but I still have to eat TDEE for reset.

Have I not understood this yet? lol :sad:
  • quie618
    quie618 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Wait, I thought this was clarified for me yesterday. You still eat your TDEE, even during workout days, and you should be netting your TDEE since exercise has been factored in already, hence TDEE. That is why some people choose not to log workouts, or only log 1 calorie per workout, so they can see the number they are at at a glance. Only concern is, if you cant meet your tdee for whatever reason, at least make sure that you are meeting your BMR.

Like me yesterday, I have 1700 tdee, set at goal, i worked out and burned 211 calories, net was 1675 because I didnt eat last 25 calories, but I still have to eat TDEE for reset.

Oy, I just need someone to bring me the food I should eat already measured out. That would make it simple!
  • dlf820
    dlf820 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm having second thought about eating at TDEE. I'm going back and forth between doing it for just a week, going back to TDEE -15%, or just eating a flat 1750 cals daily. My weight started creeping up at least a week before I started a heavy lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5), and I weighed myself on Tuesday morning because a lot of my small clothes are getting tight (and these were clothes I bought fairly recently). I measure myself once a month, and from April 28th - May 29th I went up 1" in my belly, 2" in my hips, and almost 2" in my breasts.

I weighed again this morning, because I decided to weigh in daily so that I could understand that daily weight fluctuations are normal.

I think I'm too worried that this won't work--which might be ok if I were to maintain--but I'm scared I'll gain a lot and that I won't be able to fit into ANY of my clothes, and of how long it will take me to get that weight back off. Plus I'm just feeling super bloated, stuffed, and uncomfortable. I pre-logged my after-dnner snack, but I don't want to eat it.

I might stick it out for the rest of this week, but right now I'm very nervous and scared. I've often been the odd one out in these situations--i.e., what seems to work for practically everyone else backfires on me.

I totally understand your worries about being that 'odd person' it doesn't work for. My personal history seems to have written the book on "that works for everyone BUT me". However, as I've pondered this group's philosophy and strategies, I've come to understand something....and it's based on something my husband used to say: "Honey, if a bunch of us got stranded on a desert island with no food, you'd be the last one standing....your body just makes the most of every bit of food it gets."

He said that because he watched me exercise for hours a day for years and eat so little (now I know I was netting around 500 cals or less many days) and I still gained weight (or lost nothing). My body had to be so efficient on so little food and I STILL kept going, and going, and going. I should have dropped like a fly. I wound up on medications so I could sleep (strong ones) and medication for depression, and countless other meds and vitamins for energy, fat loss, etc. My Dr. couldn't find anything wrong with me to explain my symptoms and she could not for the life of her figure out why I couldn't lose weight. So she sent me to a nutritionist/personal trainer/life coach. She got stumped too. And now I know why. Because NOBODY ever asked me what my NET calories were in a day!! All of them believed that the low cal, high exercise diet should work. But my body went into survival mode and it was VERY good at survival mode. Other people's bodies just might not be as efficient as yours and mine at survival mode...thus, they find success in things we couldn't after a while even though they were doing similar things.

I'm a survivor...I know that now-I've proven it...but it's time to get off the island. I want my life back, my body wants food and until I feed it, it's going to remain in survival mode and keep rationing/storing every bit of food it gets for where/when it needs it most. Once I feed it, it will know it's 'off the island' and food is abundant and it will stop storing for emergencies. This process will work because it just makes logical sense.

I love this! It made me laugh because it is soooooo ME!! I would survive the island with you, my body hangs on to everything!!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

I looked back through the posts and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that I said the same thing as the previous person who answered your question - we just worded it differently.

Always eat TDEE . You won't always net TDEE. On workout days your net will end up being under TDEE - you will need to eat more only if net is under BMR. If that's the case you will end up over TDEE for the day when it comes to total calories, but not when it comes to net calories. In this way, your total food intake (as opposed to NET) will always be at TDEE or greater.
  • ChrisNewmark
    Options
    :smile:

Your TDEE takes into consideration the amount you are currently working out. So you do not have to eat back those calories unless you burn so much that you are netting below your BMR. After eating TDEE for 4-8 weeks, you can then start eating at TDEE - 15% and will see a loss. I am starting mine today. Happy eating!

thanks! :smile:
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I'm gonna jump in the deep end, too.

Start Date - 5/25/12 (Start of Memorial Day weekend with no WiFi or Cell = no MFP tracking = eating and drinking mucho, so I'm sure I was at TDEE or over)

Reset Length - 4 weeks, and then evaluate if I need to do longer

Height: 5'6.5"
    Lowest MFP Weight: 144
    After starting EM2WL: 150 (also current weight)
    GW: 135-140
    BMR: 1425
    TDEE: 2210
    Exercise: Run 3x week (training for 2nd half-marathon), Lift 1-2x week (hoping to start NROLFW after my race season winds down, and aim for 3x week lifting)

Brief History:
    Lost about 30ish pounds after being on MFP a year, eating 1400-1500 (always eating exercise calories back, too). At the holidays of 2011 I reached a plateau that lasted until late February. Found this group, and started eating TDEE -15% beginning of March. Ate 1800-1900 calories from March to May, and all I got out of it was an extra 6 pounds. BOOOOOO. No change in measurements or body fat % since end of 2011. Kept reading all these posts that it was water weight that would go, but it never did. Very discouraged to see 150 again.

Question on eating back calories. I know we're supposed to at least net BMR on exercise days, but if the actual food calories is lower than TDEE, we should aim to hit TDEE everyday, right?? For example, today I burned 400ish calories. If I just hit my net BMR of 1425, the actual food calories is around 1900, and still lower than my TDEE of 2210. I should actually eat 2210 in total food calories, right?

Our stats are really similar. I am 26 5 ft 6.5 Lowest weight 143.5 Current 149...150 today! GW 135. I have been aiming for 1800 cals for a month but I keep gaining. I just started NROLFW yesterday and hope to do that 3x and run 2x per week.

Cool. We can check in w/ each other on how it's working. Only, you're 26, so you have youth on your side! :laugh:
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Anybody here consider backing off on their exercise routine?? Last fall I ran my first half-marathon. Up to that point I had been running 3x week, plus doing a bootcamp 2-3x week. After my big race, I took a complete exercise break for two weeks. Quite frankly I was burned out from "having" to work out 5-6 days a week. I actually lost more in those two weeks off than I had at any other time in my weightloss journey. I've read a bit about advantages to diet breaks, and also periodic exercise breaks.

Thoughts?
  • droidrunner
    droidrunner Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2647 and I plan on eating that for four weeks.

I was out of town over the holiday weekend and ate and drank in moderation but knew that I was above the 1200 calories that I had been allowing myself previously. I hope to incorporate exercise back into my routine starting tomorrow and consuming 2647 consistently for four weeks.
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I was out of town over the holiday weekend and ate and drank in moderation but knew that I was above the 1200 calories that I had been allowing myself previously. I hope to incorporate exercise back into my routine starting tomorrow and consuming 2647 consistently for four weeks.
    Ok...I'm jumping in with you!!! Are you nervous too?
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Anybody here consider backing off on their exercise routine?? Last fall I ran my first half-marathon. Up to that point I had been running 3x week, plus doing a bootcamp 2-3x week. After my big race, I took a complete exercise break for two weeks. Quite frankly I was burned out from "having" to work out 5-6 days a week. I actually lost more in those two weeks off than I had at any other time in my weightloss journey. I've read a bit about advantages to diet breaks, and also periodic exercise breaks.

Thoughts?

I am backing off quite a bit. I was killing myself walking, running, HIIT, lifting weights, etc. I thought I had to burn a ton of calories in a day in order to lose weight. I was just messing up my metabolism more. So part of my reset is giving myself a break from the running and HIIT. I still lift weights 3x per week (great time to build muscles with all the fuel) and I still walk with my friend at a comfortable pace (about 3.5mph) 2-4 times per week depending on the week. It has felt amazing to not feel like I HAD to get in more cardio.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

I backed off on the cardio, but added in weights.. So I used to do a one hour step class, a one hour pump class and then running 5k three times a week..
    Now I do 40 mins of NROL4W 3x a week, and two days cardio, either step or running.
  • droidrunner
    droidrunner Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I am an I am not nervous. I think I have been dieting way to much and have become obsessive about it. I was out of town for two days on Sunday and Monday. I didn't eat one home cooked meal and had wine and beer each night and a lot of cashews on the way home. I was thinking that when I stepped on the scale on Tuesday mornin I would see a gain. I was actually down two pounds without any exercise and just relaxing about the whole calorie tracking. I am somewhat excited to relax about this a little more. I think it will help my exercise routine a little more too. When I wasn't seeing results on the scale my reaction was to through in the proverbial towel and just say i'll go tomorrow. It is only a month and I am hopeful that if I do gain it won't be a ridiculous amount. Good luck!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I am an I am not nervous. I think I have been dieting way to much and have become obsessive about it. I was out of town for two days on Sunday and Monday. I didn't eat one home cooked meal and had wine and beer each night and a lot of cashews on the way home. I was thinking that when I stepped on the scale on Tuesday mornin I would see a gain. I was actually down two pounds without any exercise and just relaxing about the whole calorie tracking. I am somewhat excited to relax about this a little more. I think it will help my exercise routine a little more too. When I wasn't seeing results on the scale my reaction was to through in the proverbial towel and just say i'll go tomorrow. It is only a month and I am hopeful that if I do gain it won't be a ridiculous amount. Good luck!

Thats been my kind of thinking this week too. I want to relax my mind to the scale and "dieting" practice and just focus on eating and working out. I was getting too dependant on what the scale said daily as to how my day would actually be. If the scale was up, then my day was shot already, and i HATED that feeling.
    So im hoping after this week I will have a better handle on my mental state and then maybe I can focus more on doing the right thing:)