Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Ok I just joined the group and I'm confused. What is TDEE? I am eating around 1500 calories a day and just started doing 30 Day Shred today.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Ok I just joined the group and I'm confused. What is TDEE? I am eating around 1500 calories a day and just started doing 30 Day Shred today.

TDEE - total daily energy expenditure. Check out the main discussion group for lots of super helpful topics about upping calories. Look for the sticky topics first.
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just found this thanks to a recipe post on another thread - looks too good not to share. I want to try the nutella protein cookies now. Too bad I'm at work.

http://chockohlawtay.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein-Powder
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    So this is my second day today. I am happy that I hit my numbers yesterday without much of a struggle
    I was a bit bloated though
    But it was easier than I thought it would be.
    Important for me is to start really early in the morning to eat enough food, so I don't need to fill up with empty calories just to hit the numbers at the end of the day.
    It's just a matter of planning :)
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouraging words, guys. I need to see this post about the girl who gained 25 pounds!! I stepped on the scale this morning, naked, and the doctor's scale did not lie when it said 233 yesterday fully clothed. This morning my scale said 230 pounds. I wanted to just crumble into the floor. I feel gross, I have went over my TDEE by a couple hundred twice this week, but the scale has jumped UP five pounds after being pretty steady for the past few weeks at 225-226. I am one unhappy girl this morning. And my back fat seems to have multiplied overnight! Gross. My bra isn't fitting right and I have to keep adjusting it. Not really sure what to do at this point, except keep pushing through. To top it all, I'm hosting a cookout this evening and going to another cookout tomorrow evening. Sigh. Just not in a great mood this morning ... :cry:
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was talking with my husband about this last night. He was saying how we have both gained weight since we've been together. I've been struggling to lose weigh for at least 6 years. I had lost 80 pounds doing crazy amounts of cardio and weights but I don't remember restricting my calories all that much. I didn't journal or track or anything - just ate healthier foods. My husband does not believe I need to eat more to reset my metabolism. He doesn't believe that I could easily burn 2500 calories on a day I work out. I used to wear a bodybugg and it would say 2500 to 3000 burned on days I did work out and he said he didn't feel it was accurate. He doesn't believe I need 2000 calories a day. The calculators online are wrong when determining my calories needs. I can eat more calories during the day when I'm at work and eat a normal dinner so he doesn't realize I'm actually resetting my metabolism. But I'm frustrated that my significant other can't be on board with me on this. I also have New Rules and he says all of that pertains to people who only have a few pounds to lose - not someone like me who has gained back 50 pounds of the 80 I lost.
    I had all the same symptoms - once I stopped doing as much cardio - still a 5-6 days a week but less time - the weight just crept up and up and no matter what I did I couldn't stop it. I would eat a cupcake and be up 2 pounds the next day. Or go out for pizza and again the scale jumps up. I've been working on this for 6 years. I'm glad to have found this group and I hope resetting my metabolism is what I need.

My significant other is the same way. I had been dieting at the 1000 - 1200 mark for months without losing a damn thing, and he insists, even now, that I must be cheating and the way you lose weight is to "just eat less food"! I told him I was upp'ing my calories to 1900 and he pretty much thinks I'm nuts and not dedicated to losing weight. After all the starving and working out I did to hear that, it hurt.

I have now just taken the attitude.. I will prove you wrong. I'm not discussing it with him anymore. I am however even more determined to achieve success with this. Knowing what I've eaten and how my body refused to budge (and at times gained weight to my surprise), I am confident this method is going work out in the end. It just makes sense to me. Once I show I significant loss I'll get on the scale in front of him and let the scale give him a big EFF U!

lol
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Quick clarificaton question (hope it hasn't been answered, although I'm sure it has....somewhere:ohwell: ). Do you know you've hit your magic maintance # WHEN you start seeing a real gain?? I've been a159-162 for 7 months....whether I ate at 1200, tried 1800 and now day 4 of 2288 (my Tdee # from scooby--I don't have fitbit). Do I wait and see for at least a week and then maybe up by 100 a week until I start gaining??? I assume this means I've probably underestimated my activity level. I thinking a fit bit with an instant # is looking better and better... Any ideas my favorite lady friends? Thanks!
    Jamie

Remember the online calculators are just estimates and based off what you say your activity level is. Oh how we love to underestimate our activity level. I've even seen where people up there cardio after calculating tdee because they feel guilty for eating so much. Totally counter productive:frown: Then of course become frustrated because of adverse results.:sad: I absolutely love when someone gets one of the media devices:happy: because I get to sit back and watch as the light bulb goes off as they realize just how much more they are actually burning! :tongue:

So yes go for it. :bigsmile: Take the avg of a week and eat up:drinker:

Lucia
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Just found this thanks to a recipe post on another thread - looks too good not to share. I want to try the nutella protein cookies now. Too bad I'm at work.

http://chockohlawtay.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein-Powder

I want these for breakfast! :love: Yum. Thanks for sharing.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Well, week 1 of reset done. I wasn't going to weigh myself, because I didn't want to stress before my 10k race this AM, but I just had to. I did gain one pound this week.:sad: What's interesting, is that I also measured my bodyfat w/ my Omron handheld device, and in that week BF went from 24.5 to 24.4. Not a big difference, but I'll take it. Of course that pound could disappear, but I'm not a daily weigher. I try only once a week or every couple weeks. I won't be tracking tonight, since I'm doing a ladies-only overnight in Chicago (but I'll have a good burn from the 10k, and maybe the dancing will help burn off the cocktails :laugh: ). Enjoy the weekend!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Almost a full week into reset!

I still feel big and bloated, but last night I went to dinner with some friends and since it turned chilly I threw on some jeans. They weren't tight! In fact, a bit baggy!

I can't imagine I have lost plus I'm getting into TOM territory so I know that is part of it but swim lessons for my daughters start today. I have my youngest in a Mommy and me swim so I have to get into a swim suit:grumble: But really, I don't think I look any worse than last year so I can live with that. For now. I enjoy eating so much but I will be excited in 7 weeks to cut and see if I will start to lose fat.

Hope everyone is doing well :happy:
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if I underestimated my calories burned when I calculated my Tdee. I keep using the 1-3 hrs of activity and this week I see I had 3+ hrs of activity already. I only thought of the time I actually work out at the gym which is usually 2-2.5 in a week, since the drop down menu uses the word "exercise". But I didn't think of cost of living like cleaning, gardening etc.

Although, Monday was not a typical day for me. I spent about 2 hrs strength training, was in pain for days lol.

I have only "reset" for a week now. So it is probably too soon to tell. I'm just worried maybe I'm underestimated my burn and I'm actually not resetting and going on a small cut instead. But then again, I'm afraid to up my calories too much and start gaining lol.

What should I do? :(
  • cazsyl
    cazsyl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if I underestimated my calories burned when I calculated my Tdee. I keep using the 1-3 hrs of activity and this week I see I had 3+ hrs of activity already. I only thought of the time I actually work out at the gym which is usually 2-2.5 in a week, since the drop down menu uses the word "exercise". But I didn't think of cost of living like cleaning, gardening etc.

Although, Monday was not a typical day for me. I spent about 2 hrs strength training, was in pain for days lol.

I have only "reset" for a week now. So it is probably too soon to tell. I'm just worried maybe I'm underestimated my burn and I'm actually not resetting and going on a small cut instead. But then again, I'm afraid to up my calories too much and start gaining lol.

Same thing here - I've stopped doing cardio while I'm resetting as I'm struggling to hit the number most days (thank goodness I've discovered 9 bars) but my fit bit adds exercise calories most days anyway - between 300-400 so I think I've probably underestimated my TDEE :(. I've done 3 weeks at my TDEE and I'm wondering if it's the wrong TDEE and if I have to start again with a higher TDEE?
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be part of the group. I haven't made it to my TDEE yet, because I was so low a week ago. I spent the last week getting my calories above BMR, and today I'm at 20% below TDEE which is 1904.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I am just now discovering this thread!

I am on day 6 of my reset. I have been guilty this week of being about 2-300/day calories under my TDEE. I think I am letting myself get too consumed with going over on fats, sodium or carbs so instead of getting up to my TDEE I just stop so the other numbers won't be in red.

Am I sabotaging myself that way?

So far no change for me it seems in eating more except most nights I have slept better.
  • TripleJ3
    Options

I think you should definitely increase up your TDEE.

I see Lucia repeat it over and over that people underestimate all the time. Right now I have mine set at I believe 5-6 days strenuous but I do go back and forth on if I should go up one more. I am sure I always get 6 hrs a week and maybe more.... but I am also trying to learn to slow down and take a full rest day a week so I hate to jump up just yet.

I think you are burning more with all you do since even though you are not doing deliberate work out such as weights or a DVD, you are still technically getting exercise.
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    I can't believe I am just now discovering this thread!

I am on day 6 of my reset. I have been guilty this week of being about 2-300/day calories under my TDEE. I think I am letting myself get too consumed with going over on fats, sodium or carbs so instead of getting up to my TDEE I just stop so the other numbers won't be in red.

Am I sabotaging myself that way?

So far no change for me it seems in eating more except most nights I have slept better.

I keep reading that its better to be over than under. I hear you, I am the same! My carbs and fat are always over but mostly healthy fats and carbs. I seen Lucia say protein and sodium are the ones to watch and always hit your TDEE mark so now I worry much less and while I definitely keep trying to work on a good balance, I am not making myself crazy trying to hit TDEE and protein w/o going over fats and carbs.
  • dlf820
    dlf820 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am on Day 2 of my metabolism reset!! When I first figured out my numbers on Scoobysworkshop, my TDEE was 2,279. Then someone suggested that knowing your body fat % will get you a more accurate number. I did that on Scoobysworkshop and then selected the Katch-McArdle research model (step 8) and my TDEE came up 1,937. Does anyone know about this? Which number should I follow!!
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Today is day 1 of reset for me. I have been on maintenance for a few weeks, but still want to lose a few more inches/pounds so I am trying this out. I am determined to stick to this for 4 weeks and then go to a cut. Today was unhealthy with a dairy queen blizzard because I realized it was 5pm and I had only eaten 400 calories :(

I did manage to workout for 45 minutes so that was a plus :)

Tomorrow is another day :)
  • macnurseapril
    macnurseapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok Folks, I am at near reset (2900) but on days that were bad at work patient wise, how the hell do I eat that much? I walked 3.3 miles or near 5Km at work today. And that'd be on top of my regular TDEE.

I'd have to eat every hour, and today I barely net my cals. (wine is helping ROFLMAO)

Any other nurses or folks trying to eat 3K in calls?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Day 7 (I think - they all run together) of reset - I made it over my calorie goal today. Woot! I almost didn't make it, but then found some dark chocolate. I usually only eat two squares, but realized I'd be under calorie if I stopped at two. So I ate four...lol. This is going to hurt when I go back to cut! Anyways, I have my 5k tomorrow so I'm kind of happy that I'm eating at TDEE right now - hopefully my body will reward me for all of the fuel its been getting by doing well for me tomorrow!