Tour De France Challenge - 21 Days in July

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
Thought I'd flag this one up early - I don’t want to hijack anyone elses challenge, and am happy for this to run in parallel with any other stuff going on, but I just thought it was a interesting twist…

What I propose is that as a team of 9 riders we try and ride between us a distance each day equal to or greater than the distance of that day’s stage in the Tour De France. The person in the team who rides the largest total km’s gets the Maillot Jaune, the person achieving the fastest average speed overall gets the Maillot Vert (green sprinters jersey) and the person who posts the highest total ascent figure in metres gets the Maillot à pois rouges (Polka Dot King of the Mountains jersey) – we could even have a GP Henri Desgranges for the person who posts the highest ascent in a single ride!

The stages for this race, and distances involved are as follows…

P Saturday 30 June Liège > Liège 6.4 km
1 Sunday 1 July Liège > Seraing 198 km
2 Monday 2 July Visé > Tournai 207.5 km
3 Tuesday 3 July Orchies > Boulogne-sur-Mer 197 km
4 Wednesday 4 July Abbeville > Rouen 214.5 km
5 Thursday 5 July Rouen > Saint-Quentin 196.5 km
6 Friday 6 July Épernay > Metz 207.5 km
7 Saturday 7 July Tomblaine > La Planche des Belles Filles 199 km
8 Sunday 8 July Belfort > Porrentruy 157.5 km
9 Monday 9 July Arc-et-Senans > Besançon 41.5 km
10 Wed. 11 July Mâcon > Bellegarde-sur-Valserine 194.5 km
11 Thursday 12 July Albertville > La Toussuire - Les Sybelles 148 km
12 Friday 13 July Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Annonay Davézieux 226 km
13 Saturday 14 July Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux > Le Cap d’Agde 217 km
14 Sunday 15 July Limoux > Foix 191 km
15 Monday 16 July Samatan > Pau 158.5 km
16 Wed. 18 July Pau > Bagnères-de-Luchon 197 km
17 Thursday 19 July Bagnères-de-Luchon > Peyragudes 143.5 km
18 Friday 20 July Blagnac > Brive-la-Gaillarde 222.5 km
19 Saturday 21 July Bonneval > Chartres 53.5 km
20 Sunday 22 July Rambouillet > Paris Champs-Élysées 120 km

Total distance 3496.9km (call it 2172 miles - or just over 100 miles a day on average...)

To verify the distances/speeds/ascents rides would ideally need to be logged via some form of GPS and posted to appropriate websites, e.g. Strava / Garmin Connect / Endomondo. As I’d be looking at average speeds and climbs, I think that it’s only appropriate to restrict this challenge to outdoor mileage only.

So – anyone up for a challenge ??

Hopefully I've given enough time for people to see this, and sign up - who knows - we might even have enough people for more than one team...

Replies

• sethotto
    sethotto Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm totally up for it!!!
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I won't have much in the way of climbs, or average speed though. As you know, I'm still pulling too much weight to get going to fast, and I don't have much access to hills around here. But, I can provide distance.
  • RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun! I'm in! If nothing else, it'll get me thinking about distance in terms of KM, not Miles...something I need to do anyway. I'll use Strava.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Lets hope the weather has improved by then!
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I would like to try it although there are a couple of days in which I won't be able to ride at all do to other commitments some of which are noted below. Let me know if this disqualifies me (like the real riders who have to complete the stages and meet time limits!):

Able to Ride? - Stage - Date - Route - Distance
    No - P Saturday 30 June Liège > Liège 6.4 km
    Yes - 1 Sunday 1 July Liège > Seraing 198 km
    Yes - 2 Monday 2 July Visé > Tournai 207.5 km
    Yes - 3 Tuesday 3 July Orchies > Boulogne-sur-Mer 197 km
    No - 4 Wednesday 4 July Abbeville > Rouen 214.5 km
    Yes - 5 Thursday 5 July Rouen > Saint-Quentin 196.5 km
    Yes - 6 Friday 6 July Épernay > Metz 207.5 km
    Yes - 7 Saturday 7 July Tomblaine > La Planche des Belles Filles 199 km
    No - 8 Sunday 8 July Belfort > Porrentruy 157.5 km
    No - 9 Monday 9 July Arc-et-Senans > Besançon 41.5 km
    ? - 10 Wed. 11 July Mâcon > Bellegarde-sur-Valserine 194.5 km
    Yes - 11 Thursday 12 July Albertville > La Toussuire - Les Sybelles 148 km
    Yes - 12 Friday 13 July Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Annonay Davézieux 226 km
    No - 13 Saturday 14 July Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux > Le Cap d’Agde 217 km
    No - 14 Sunday 15 July Limoux > Foix 191 km
    Yes - 15 Monday 16 July Samatan > Pau 158.5 km
    Yes - 16 Wed. 18 July Pau > Bagnères-de-Luchon 197 km
    Yes - 17 Thursday 19 July Bagnères-de-Luchon > Peyragudes 143.5 km
    Yes - 18 Friday 20 July Blagnac > Brive-la-Gaillarde 222.5 km
    Yes but slow* - 19 Saturday 21 July Bonneval > Chartres 53.5 km
    No - 20 Sunday 22 July Rambouillet > Paris Champs-Élysées 120 km
  • momocurti
    momocurti Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This sounds fun! I wish I could sign on, but we'll be traveling hither and yon and I have no clue when/where I'll be able to ride. Plus, only taking MTB with us, not road bike :(

I'll be interested to see how it all pans out though! Great challenge!
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Reminder that I am in for the challenge
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I would like to try it although there are a couple of days in which I won't be able to ride at all do to other commitments some of which are noted below. Let me know if this disqualifies me (like the real riders who have to complete the stages and meet time limits!):

Don't worry about "needing to ride all the days" - I tend to ride on a 3 on - 1 off pattern myself, all we're trying to do is knock in a couple of hundred km's a day between 9 people - I'm fairly sure that we'll end up hitting nearer 250 a day, provided one or two of the groups "Rouleurs" join. :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    the more the merrier - if we get 9 riders for a "team" that's cool - if there's enough for 2 or more teams all the better...
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I would like to be on one of the teams, I will be away for a few of the days but will try to use the stationary bike at the resort to get a few km's, and yippee a challenge with kilometers, so much easier for me to understand. Miles are kinda foreign to me.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I need a challenge. Baring injury or sick, yeah. Wednesdays are somewhat iffy for me, though. Just haven't gone farther than 64km since I started riding again. . .last month.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Team Kit has just arrived...

7163136043_9ba168ea08.jpg
  • twinkietigress
    twinkietigress Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am in! I don't head out on Vacation until July 25th so I shouldn't have any other commitments. I'm usually logging 12 -16 miles a day. Can switch to KM's on Strava so no problem but when you assign teams consider me your gap girl. I'll try in fill in those few missing miles!

Yay

TT
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Oops - wrong kit - that ^^^ was the first version

7163437865_b5c2fc76d8.jpg

I was toying with the idea of a half-eaten Baguette in the back pocket, but Garmin-Chipotle got there first...
  • RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ I would most definitely buy this jersey! Nicely done!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I was bored, it was raining, and I just spent 10 minutes messing about with the online kit designer at www.flamecycling.com. Add in a bit of Photoshop magic swapping colours in the logo's to the "team colours" and it was dead easy :laugh:
  • twinkietigress
    twinkietigress Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yep, we need the Jersey's! Yay :)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Sadly I never saved the layout... I've still got the logo's but to be honest, if we were going to get them made up, it'd have to change quite substantially, as there are a couple of logo's that not only are we not allowed to "just use", but would probably see my *kitten* sued from here to breakfast-time!
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I would be game to join the challenge. I don't have a smart phone (still stuck in the dark ages) so I can give you is the miles and time from the rides.

I am doing RAGBRAI the last full week of the month which is supposed to be 471 miles (I hope for more though with the century loops).
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I am doing RAGBRAI the last full week of the month which is supposed to be 471 miles (I hope for more though with the century loops).

:sad: Shame the race is the first 22 days of July really... those miles would have come in handy for the challenge. At least the first day will count...
This discussion has been closed.