Low-Carb hostility on MFP

Options

Replies

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    "A 17 year old "fitness expert" " Thanks for making me smile today.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    I'm very happy I found this group. I agree: MFP forums can be very hostile toward us low-carbers. None of them, of course, want to read any of the research done about the bad effect of the carbohydrates, they all read Health magazine (which promotes high-carb, low-fat eating) and listen to what Dr. Oz has to say or what's written on the cereal box (yeah, the lies about the cholesterol). Sick and tired of those brainwashed, blind people. Somebody even said recently that I have a carbophobia. LOL!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Amen Chokis!

try being a personal trainer and fitness instructor at a hospital based health and fitness center.... talk about negativity. I'm the only lean one there. Everyone else is out of shape, flabby, has a ton of body fat, and overtrains the wrong types of exercises. I'm so happy to be out of that wrong mindset!

I have to say, my classes are packed and I get so much personal training business and nutrition/exercise set up consultations I am envied by my coworkers. How do I get the work? My great looks, energy and referrals all thanks to my low carb diet!!!

me and my size 2 booty.
    283677_429954537025223_1749269254_n.jpg
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Gotta tell you.. I work with well over 300+ physicians and all the documentation that comes to my desk for review, I see many patients are being recommended to watch their carbohydrate intake, ease up on the 'white' family normally associated with poor carbohydrates - concentrate on more vegetables, concentrate on low glycemic fruits to an absolute minimum of two per day, incorporate exercise, etc....

Moderation doesnt always apply in some cases (including mine) where medical conditions warrant a total elimination until the weight comes down and then learn to adapt proper eating habits and balancing.

In my case, Im more than likely going to be a forever total-elimination. I never want to go to the hospital again for near insulin-shock.. Im telling you its not fun at all to be in that kind of pain... its horrifying....

Laura_beau and I were excited about MFP having the opportunity to build Groups... OHHHH, and as I said before: if Low Carb intakes are so bad, then why is MFP allowing it? hint-hint-nudge-nudge-wink-wink...

8-D
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    May be late to the party on this but found this interesting article last week...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/06/01/high-protein-low-carb-diet-safe-for-kidneys/
  • mariaj1979
    mariaj1979 Posts: 31
    Options
    Before I started low carbs I was a Weight Watchers devotee I had lost 70lbs with that plan but after a while my body wouldn't play ball with th program I have always stayed within 14lbs of my target weight. I tried the old points plan and the new pro points plan and scoffed at the idea of low carbs diet. I always though low carb was some kind of sorcery, I consulted a few fitnes instructor friends and they totally reccomend this plan because they follow it.

The hostility probably comes from the lack of information on the plans we are on, if they actually looked into it they may change their minds.
  • rxwoman
    rxwoman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but I used to be one of those people . . . and now I'm eating my words! I have had the greatest improvements and weight loss since going low carb and eliminating most processed foods and grains.

My interest started after reading "Wheat Belly" by William Davis. Everything in this book resonated with me. The science made sense. I am a pharmacist so I had always been taught low fat/whole grains so I struggled with this new information. So I kept searching and I found book after book and source after source that supports low carb dieting! I had lost 25-30 lbs with weight watchers about 8 years ago but it was slow process and I was always hungry. After having 2 kids I found I was struggling again with slow inconsistent weight loss and hunger. Since going low carb I feel so great! I have lost 7 lbs in 6 weeks! The best part is that I'm not hungry and I don't feel deprived!!

Those with negative views about low carb are not educated about the science of it.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I know... I just. Started this site and have been amazed at how many people started bashing my posts when I didn't even say anything back they kept bashing me... What the heck???.,, I'm glad I found some peeps that understand
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Exactly!!!!
    RANT AHEAD

I'm actually starting to find that it's not worth me reading anything other than the Success threads. Yesterday I came across a thread where someone asks what to say to a colleague who's trying to steal her weightloss thunder. The poster is losing weight what she calls "the right way" (low cal and exercise, I suppose), but this nasty colleague is low carbing and losing weight faster than she is.

The thread is PAGES long and full of people offering mean things to say to the low-carb woman, catty remarks and put-downs. Loads of stuff on how she's on a "fad diet" that "won't last" and she'll "gain it all back".

Then there's this rant thread where a guy goes on about how people losing weight should eat "normally". His point is that people can eat whatever they want in moderation and shouldn't listen to people who tell them to "eat clean". There follows a slew of responses saying yeah, I eat fries and pizza and milkshakes and ice cream and still lose weight, and stopping eating them is unnatural and unsustainable and blah blah blah. All I see is a bunch of sugar addicts defending their habit- that was me less than a year ago! Can't live without ice cream. Any diet that cuts out a food group is unhealthy (as if sugar is a food group!). Ugh. When did we decide that food made in a factory out of manmade chemicals is natural and OK? Weird. Depressing.

I feel more and more like an outlier on MFP. It now seems patently obvious to me that this way of eating is, for a lot of people, the best, easiest, and most painless way to lose weight and get healthy. I don't WANT to eat pizza and doughnuts anymore, and I was the pizza queen before. I don't feel deprived, and I certainly don't feel hungry. I realise I will have to stay moderately low carb forever to maintain the weight loss, and I'm perfectly fine with that. Does anyone on any diet really think they can just go back to how they ate before and be OK?

I did post it somewhere, but it bears repeating: increasingly, I feel like it is impossible to explain to people who don't need this kind of diet just what a miracle it is for those who do need it. My partner has not gained or lost a pound in 20 years. He can eat mounds of mashed potato washed down with ginger soda or beer. He will never understand what it is to be carb sensitive, to blow up like a whale when you so much as look at sugar, and he certainly will never know the happiness that I feel now I'm off the sugar rollercoaster. That's why I don't argue back on MFP- some people will never get it. In my opinion, they should just be thankful they don't *need* to get it, and shut up. :)
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What I just LOVE are the people who ask if we've got some medical condition that requires us to restrict our carbs, as if that's the only acceptable reason.

This is my favorite one and it comes up EVERY EFFING TIME.

Grains make me feel like *kitten*. I don't need a note from my doctor or a pubmed study to justify why I don't eat them. Drives me up the wall.

It's a lifestyle choice, so what?

I started to tell people that I have food allergies. Sugar makes be break out in fat.
  • LaJaunaF
    Options
    May be late to the party on this but found this interesting article last week...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/06/01/high-protein-low-carb-diet-safe-for-kidneys/

My sister is a kidney recipient...(froma live donor/family member) over 25 yrs post-op. Her nephrologist (kidney doctor) placed her on a low carb diet to help her not gain weight from her steroids she has to take every day. Being overweight is the cause of kidney failure, which is actually caused by high blood pressure, caused by being obese.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    I've newish to the message boards, and it has been a bit of a shock to see the backlash against low carb dieting. Apparently anyone who does LC has to defend their choice and even come up with a medical justification for it. I *do* have a medical reason for it (PCOS), but why should I have to defend it at all? Lots of wrong information is being thrown around about LC as if it is fact.

I don't really have a question here, just happy to see there is a supportive group.

i always laugh when someone disses low carb.. they are generally mouth-breathers anyway.
  • LaJaunaF
    Options
    Exactly!!!!
    RANT AHEAD

I'm actually starting to find that it's not worth me reading anything other than the Success threads. Yesterday I came across a thread where someone asks what to say to a colleague who's trying to steal her weightloss thunder. The poster is losing weight what she calls "the right way" (low cal and exercise, I suppose), but this nasty colleague is low carbing and losing weight faster than she is.

The thread is PAGES long and full of people offering mean things to say to the low-carb woman, catty remarks and put-downs. Loads of stuff on how she's on a "fad diet" that "won't last" and she'll "gain it all back".

Then there's this rant thread where a guy goes on about how people losing weight should eat "normally". His point is that people can eat whatever they want in moderation and shouldn't listen to people who tell them to "eat clean". There follows a slew of responses saying yeah, I eat fries and pizza and milkshakes and ice cream and still lose weight, and stopping eating them is unnatural and unsustainable and blah blah blah. All I see is a bunch of sugar addicts defending their habit- that was me less than a year ago! Can't live without ice cream. Any diet that cuts out a food group is unhealthy (as if sugar is a food group!). Ugh. When did we decide that food made in a factory out of manmade chemicals is natural and OK? Weird. Depressing.

I feel more and more like an outlier on MFP. It now seems patently obvious to me that this way of eating is, for a lot of people, the best, easiest, and most painless way to lose weight and get healthy. I don't WANT to eat pizza and doughnuts anymore, and I was the pizza queen before. I don't feel deprived, and I certainly don't feel hungry. I realise I will have to stay moderately low carb forever to maintain the weight loss, and I'm perfectly fine with that. Does anyone on any diet really think they can just go back to how they ate before and be OK?

I did post it somewhere, but it bears repeating: increasingly, I feel like it is impossible to explain to people who don't need this kind of diet just what a miracle it is for those who do need it. My partner has not gained or lost a pound in 20 years. He can eat mounds of mashed potato washed down with ginger soda or beer. He will never understand what it is to be carb sensitive, to blow up like a whale when you so much as look at sugar, and he certainly will never know the happiness that I feel now I'm off the sugar rollercoaster. That's why I don't argue back on MFP- some people will never get it. In my opinion, they should just be thankful they don't *need* to get it, and shut up. :)

IF you are a the queen of Pizza, have you tried the low carb Deep Dish Pizza Quiche? Oh My Gravy! It is so good, I don't miss the high carbage version any more!
  • LaJaunaF
    Options
    i couldn't have said it better myself. When i went to see my gynecologist and she told me i was overweight and that was contributing to my PCOS and that i had to diet she suggested Atkins or South Beach. That's the only time any doctor since has suggested low carb. I happened to mention this is a post on another thread and was told how i was "killing myself by deprivation of essential nutrients" it peeves me off when people don't do their research and just "ASSume" that i'm kiling myself and that low carb is bad. I have a lot of trouble finding low carb friends as well. No one else will admit that it can work!

All they need to do is educate themselves about PCOS/D. The number one treatment is to lower your carbohydrates! Duh.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hey all y'all. I've low carbed for years. Successfully. When I don't, I gain weight. I'm hypoglycemic, and do so much better with a low-carb lifestyle. I don't even bother defending it anymore, I just do it for me and let the others rant all they want. Glad to see everyone here!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Next time someone says low-carb isn't good for you yada yada give them this cite to a VERY new study that shows low-carb is GOOD!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/opinion/sunday/what-really-makes-us-fat.html?src=me&ref=general
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I started to tell people that I have food allergies. Sugar makes be break out in fat.

This needs to be part of the LC bible.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you all!
    My favorite LC myth I've seen around here is that LC makes you tired and sick. How stupid. When I did even EXTREME low carb, I felt absolutely fine, in fact I felt better than usual. I am an avid exerciser, and I was able to work out with no problem whatsoever. What a stupid load of crap.

I envy you. I'm in week #2 and I don't feel like boo boo like I did week #1.... but I feel so so tired all the time.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi and save this thread for later! I just started following a lower carb diet (The Metabolism Miracle) and I don't dare post on the forums about it.