Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• random_20
    random_20 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    hi all,

just a quick question, when do you know when to start the cut if you've been eating at tdee. my weights stayed the same for a couple of weeks now and i'm thinking at the end of next week i might start the 15% cut. any thoughts?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    hi all,

just a quick question, when do you know when to start the cut if you've been eating at tdee. my weights stayed the same for a couple of weeks now and i'm thinking at the end of next week i might start the 15% cut. any thoughts?

<as it been 8wks?
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Entering 2 weeks on reset and I am still on a plateau. Or Im guessing it is a plateau, shrug. I keep hovering at 120-121 lbs, depending on the time of day I weigh myself. But I have been at this weight for around 2 months now.

I don't know what to do, maybe I should just not worry about losing more weight and accept that I wont go any lower than 120. =(
    I could eat cleaner but I don't feel like it to be honest, the only thing I started doing yesterday was drinking protein shakes so I can start meeting my protein macro. Which by the way, I have such a hard time meeting 30%, so I lowered to 25 % today and will try to go over it. I hate that you cant input a number but have to do a %. 30% for me is 128 g of protein which seemed kinda high since I don't lift heavy, I am only starting to lift weights. I would like to do about 110g. So 25% is 106g on mfp for me at the moment, so choosing that one and will try to be "over" a bit.

I'll stick around a few more weeks with the 1700 calorie goal I guess.

I was wondering though, if by any chance I start exercising more and I start having to eat back my exercise calories back more often to meet BMR, should I increase my calorie goal? Would I have to restart the "reset" then and eat that new number for 8 weeks? Or just adjust and keep going on this timeline (2wks in)?
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Lucia, thanks for posting another great video! It's a great reminder that if you increase your exercise, you NEED to increase your calorie intake. I look forward to other videos!
  • random_20
    random_20 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    hi all,

<as it been 8wks?

ok so you go by the timeline. I thought because people do their full tdde for different amounts of time before they start there cut that maybe there were some symptoms your body shows to indicate your metabolism has reset and is ready for the cut.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I decided yesterday that I need the full reset. I wish I would have jumped in from the beginning, but it sounded like too much for me, and I was just hoping that a different number would work. I am a guy with a measured bmr of just over 2150 calories. I increased from 1600 before exercise calories to 2400 plus exercise calories about 5 weeks ago (I think).

I am very active, but my weeks can change dramatically as far as calorie burns, so I decided to figure out my TDEE based on what I burn just going to and from work (not working out). I know this isn't the recommended way for everyone, but my calorie burns week to week can change by 3000 or 4000 calories easily. So, I think I should be at about 3000 calories without any exercise outside of my normal work day. That is a lot of calories to eat, but I am eating them.

Today, I ate 3000 calories, did not work out, and am still hungry, haha. That seems wild to me considering just a couple months ago I was eating this much only if I went and played basketball for a long time.

Anyway, I'm sure I will increase (weight) again over the next week or more, but I think my body will be happy. I stabilized after upping my calories but did not really start losing, just fluctuated slightly. I'm ready, and I'm all in now.

Just wanted to get that all out of my head and on (virtual) paper.

Welcome to the club! I've now got myself up to 2900 a day. I could have eaten more last night.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hey guys here is the video I mentioned that I thought you guys should watch...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktemRvtJ3UA
    Lucia

Watched it, loved it, get it!!!:heart:

Thank you so much! :flowerforyou:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    hi all,

<as it been 8wks?

ok so you go by the timeline. I thought because people do their full tdde for different amounts of time before they start there cut that maybe there were some symptoms your body shows to indicate your metabolism has reset and is ready for the cut.

I think its up to you to choose. It also depends on how much you have to lose. So if you are pretty close to goal or at goal I believe you would choose the lesser weeks. I am choosing to just do the full 8 because while I am in my normal BMI and even though right now I am only looking to get into a comfortable size 7 (I am a 9) but I really want to do this right. Now I see the damage I have been doing to my body for many many years. I have been doing it most of my life, not just a few months or a year. Then I will cut at 10% and see how that goes, then probably go back up to TDEE for a week at 6wks. I think a lot of it is playing around with it and seeing what works for you.

I like to think of EM2WL is something anyone can do because you mold it to your lifestyle. With fad diets everyone is suppose to follow the same cookie cutter. Yes, some people it really does work for. I know people who have followed Atkins for years because it works as a lifestyle for them. But it doesn't work for most people because the same rules just don't apply to everyone. With EM2WL everyone eats more and there are cuts and no cuts but the amounts of everything is catered specifically to you which is what makes it so doable.
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Day 14 on reset for me, eating TDEE of just over 2200 calories. I've been focused on doing my normal workouts and eating at or just above my magic TDEE number. After my initial gain of 2 pounds, I seem to have hit my stride. I've been holding steady for over week now. To me, that seems to say that I've found maintenance. Whoo hoo! I have to tell you, that's the part that scares me the most about losing weight, even during my old Weight Watcher days, I know how to lose it . . . but how the heck do I maintain it? I love that with EM2LW I'm starting out at maintenance. I'll know exactly what to do now when my time comes. And, for me, it's easy to do!

I'm happy, eating healthier than I have in a long time (ok, not as healthy as a lot of you rock stars, but I'm trying! LOL) I sleep well, eat well, and am quite happy with the process at the moment. Hope I can keep moving in the right direction.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Day 14 on reset for me, eating TDEE of just over 2200 calories. I've been focused on doing my normal workouts and eating at or just above my magic TDEE number. After my initial gain of 2 pounds, I seem to have hit my stride. I've been holding steady for over week now. To me, that seems to say that I've found maintenance. Whoo hoo! I have to tell you, that's the part that scares me the most about losing weight, even during my old Weight Watcher days, I know how to lose it . . . but how the heck do I maintain it? I love that with EM2LW I'm starting out at maintenance. I'll know exactly what to do now when my time comes. And, for me, it's easy to do!

I'm happy, eating healthier than I have in a long time (ok, not as healthy as a lot of you rock stars, but I'm trying! LOL) I sleep well, eat well, and am quite happy with the process at the moment. Hope I can keep moving in the right direction.

I was just about to post in this thread when yours popped in and it's basically the same results I am having so far.

This is Day 14 of my reset for me as well since starting my reset and after an intial 2 lb gain I've dropped back down to stabilize at a lb gain. This is about 9 weeks into eating more (slowly ramping up and then ate tdee - 15% for a while first) and my total gain so far is about 5 lbs. Not bad for eating 1500 more calories than I used to! LOL... (I eat a tdee of 2584 presently) Only 6 more weeks to go before Cut....

I'm planning to take a full rest break during the last week of my reset. Anyone else thinking of doing that? I figure my body and mind will then be totally and completely ready to work off those pounds once I go into cut. :happy:
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options

I was just about to post in this thread when yours popped in and it's basically the same results I am having so far.

This is Day 14 of my reset for me as well since starting my reset and after an intial 2 lb gain I've dropped back down to stabilize at a lb gain. This is about 9 weeks into eating more (slowly ramping up and then ate tdee - 15% for a while first) and my total gain so far is about 5 lbs. Not bad for eating 1500 more calories than I used to! LOL... (I eat a tdee of 2584 presently) Only 6 more weeks to go before Cut....

I'm planning to take a full rest break during the last week of my reset. Anyone else thinking of doing that? I figure my body and mind will then be totally and completely ready to work off those pounds once I go into cut. :happy:

That's terrific, and i love the idea of taking a complete preparation rest break the last week. Did you reset your ticker to 0 the day you started EM2LW? I've been toying with doing that, but psychologically think I might wait until the day I start my cut. The zero would just freak me out right now! LOL
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi all- 5'10", and joined MFP at 148 pounds trying to get back down to 145. It had me netting 1640 so I'd eat all my exercise cals back. I go to the gym daily and do pretty heavy cardio, so I've been eating anywhere from 2200-2500. Got on the scale Friday morning and I'm up to 153.8 pounds. I found the TDEE thread and went to scooby calculator and figured out my 'stats' - and depending on activity level, my TDEE (with 15% cut) is 2256 with 5-6 hours of exercise and 2485 with 7-21 hours of exercise. When I go to the gym, I usually do 60 minutes on the elliptical (+5 min cooldown) and I occasionally do incline walking on the treadmill.

On the fitness frog site, my TDEE (no cut) for moderate activity is 2385; for heavy it's 2655; and for daily it's 2924. I'm not really sure which category to put myself in - yes, I work out daily, but I work a desk job and am a student, so I'm guessing I'm more on the 'heavy exercise' activity level, meaning my TDEE is 2655 and my cut (-15%) is 2256 (which lines up with the 5-6 hours on the scooby site).

I'm just freaking out because it's been over a month and I'm up 6 pounds. I was getting ready to cut calories back even more when I found the TDEE thread yesterday. Since I've been eating closer to 2200-2500 over the past several weeks, have I been eating at TDEE and doing this reset? I'm still pretty fatigued and worn out all the time - and I keep increasing gym time wondering why I've gained all the weight. I feel bloated and my clothes are getting to be uncomfortably tight. Should I up my calories even more and ride it out? How long should I keep doing this if the scale keeps inching up? I had weighed myself two weeks ago and was 152.8 but was on my period so blamed it on water retention. When I got on the scale Friday I was *sure* I'd be back down around where I was... definitely not up a pound. It's so disheartening.

Can someone give me some advice?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am still here and plugging along. I have one more NROL session and I am done Stage 1. Still incredibly disappointed that in 6 weeks there have been no change in inches, even though I have increased my weights almost double on everything. So hopefully once the weight start dropping after reset, then the inches will fly off.

I have booked a trip to Orlando with some GFs at the end of July for a 4 day trip and I would love to be able to not feel so ugly and fat in an airplane seat, or on the rides..

I would bet once you get to your cut it will start to melt off. Hang in there!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I think my TDEE number is probably pretty accurate for me. It seems I keep bouncing around the same few pounds, up then down, up then down. But it's within about 2 pounds, so it seems pretty stable. Now just trying to wait out this reset. I have noticed that I've gone over TDEE (by a pretty significant amount) a couple of times recently. It's weird that I've had days where I can barely get there and days where I blow way past TDEE. I definitely feel like I'm hungrier more the latter half of this week. I admit that I'm getting very anxious to get back to my cut value and see the scale start dropping again. Patience for this process is not always easy!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I've been reading the posted links. My TDEE is 2327 and my BMR is 1923. I want to be sure I've got this right. I need to reset and eat my TDEE 2327 for 6-8 weeks then cut by 15% to start losing (if I should gain weight). Exercise should be light, 30 min. walks etc. I do have to watch my carbs. due to a pre-diabetic scare this past spring. I am reading the posts and feeling excited yet anxious about weight gain. Is there anyone who has been doing this program and not freaked out about the weight gain? My mind understands the concept but like so many...the thought of gaining more weight is overwhelming. Thanks!

I haven't let the gain bother me but I also stay off the scale. I will step on the scale when the reset is done and when I need recalculate my numbers but other than that I focus on how my clothes fit. I don't measure if I feel/look bloated like in the beginning of upping cals or around TOM. I figure whats the point of getting upset over something thats temporary. All my same clothes fit still so I suppose that really helps.

But I focus on all the positives EM2WL has given me. Theres so many...I stopped hating my body. I hated my body for not losing when it was really me who was over exercising and not fueling properly. I can put on a shirt and see past the flaws. Before all I did was nit pick then change 10 times. I eat more than just protein and veggies and actually share meals with my family verses before when they would eat pizza, I sat there and ate chicken with veggies. I feel so normal! The list goes on....

While I have cut back on cardio, I am training for a local run and I am very active. I actually like eating gobs of food (my TDEE is 2643 but I probably eat about 2700 and sometimes more!) so I don't want to cut back cardio too much...but I really am trying to get a full rest day once a week and sit down more during the day even though thats all very hard for me. Once it starts getting too dark and cold to run then I will find different cardio and change my numbers but until then I am completely enjoying myself!

Edit to add: I meant to also say I used to be a huge binger! I would restrict for weeks, step on the scale and see a gain or no lose then lose my mind! I would have crazy binges and whats funny is many times I would step on the scale the next day to access the damage and be 6-8lbs lighter! One binge was so bad that on top of my daily calories and all I had binged on, I ate an entire loaf of chocolate banana bread! The entire thing! It was in the freezer and I didn't even bother to thaw it, I was just so angry and was "punishing" my body. Thats probably the biggest improvement, no binging since I started EM2WL 5 wks ago. Sure I have had a few days where I was hungry and ate over my TDEE, but not like my old angry binges!

I love this and I feel like I"m on a similar journey!

Today is day 18 for me, and the extreme bloating of the past few days is going away. I was sooo ready to quit yesterday but I remembered the committment I made to myself and I am determined this time to stick it out. I'm feeling great today, and wearing a skirt that was super tight just a few days ago, and it feels pretty comfy today. The biggest thing for me...I havent binged for like 3 weeks yet. I used to binge 2-3 days a week! Oh and mentally, emotionally, spiritually, I feel so much healthier in my relationship with food.

I got a Body Fit and yesterday was my first day with it. So far it seems like it pretty much lines up with the scooby calculator. Im excited to see my weeks average. If anything it gives me some reassurance that my calorie gooal is pretty accurate. I've been second guessing for so long!
    Have a great day guys!
  • jyska
    Options

That's terrific, and i love the idea of taking a complete preparation rest break the last week. Did you reset your ticker to 0 the day you started EM2LW? I've been toying with doing that, but psychologically think I might wait until the day I start my cut. The zero would just freak me out right now! LOL

No, I didn't reset it. :smile: Your idea is a good one though to reset it to zero for the start of the cut, but I'm not sure yet...I will think about it. I will see what happens first during the reset...
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Thanks, momofmyfiveki! I needed to read about the positives. I love the part about you eating With your family and not having to make separate meals. I am starting my reset today! :bigsmile:
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi all- 5'10", and joined MFP at 148 pounds trying to get back down to 145. It had me netting 1640 so I'd eat all my exercise cals back. I go to the gym daily and do pretty heavy cardio, so I've been eating anywhere from 2200-2500. Got on the scale Friday morning and I'm up to 153.8 pounds. I found the TDEE thread and went to scooby calculator and figured out my 'stats' - and depending on activity level, my TDEE (with 15% cut) is 2256 with 5-6 hours of exercise and 2485 with 7-21 hours of exercise. When I go to the gym, I usually do 60 minutes on the elliptical (+5 min cooldown) and I occasionally do incline walking on the treadmill.

On the fitness frog site, my TDEE (no cut) for moderate activity is 2385; for heavy it's 2655; and for daily it's 2924. I'm not really sure which category to put myself in - yes, I work out daily, but I work a desk job and am a student, so I'm guessing I'm more on the 'heavy exercise' activity level, meaning my TDEE is 2655 and my cut (-15%) is 2256 (which lines up with the 5-6 hours on the scooby site).

I'm just freaking out because it's been over a month and I'm up 6 pounds. I was getting ready to cut calories back even more when I found the TDEE thread yesterday. Since I've been eating closer to 2200-2500 over the past several weeks, have I been eating at TDEE and doing this reset? I'm still pretty fatigued and worn out all the time - and I keep increasing gym time wondering why I've gained all the weight. I feel bloated and my clothes are getting to be uncomfortably tight. Should I up my calories even more and ride it out? How long should I keep doing this if the scale keeps inching up? I had weighed myself two weeks ago and was 152.8 but was on my period so blamed it on water retention. When I got on the scale Friday I was *sure* I'd be back down around where I was... definitely not up a pound. It's so disheartening.

Can anyone please give me any advice?? I'm at a loss here :(
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options

Your answer may be here with a Lucia Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktemRvtJ3UA

let me know if that answers your question....
  • jyska
    Options

I'm sorry for your struggles..there's a lot of info in these forums and it's hard to make sense of it all sometimes.
    Basically, the first thing that strikes me when I read through your post is that you increased your exercise along with your calories...which in essence, just contradicts all your efforts. Choose a moderate activity level...we recommend 2 -3 lift days and 1 - 2 cardio days (this will give you a 3 - 5 day/week workout schedule with rest days (which are VERY important!) You are exhausted because you are working out so much (I'm guessing without rest days) and still not fueling your body enough for those workouts. (I did the exact same thing when I started in this forum, so I do understand! :wink: ) I recommend that you watch this video so that you can understand what I mean by all of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktemRvtJ3UA

Once you get your workouts on a more average level (not busting your butt like crazy every day), chose the appropriate activity level for what you have decided to do. We recommend that you use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to get your numbers.

Then, you have the choice of doing a reset (you can never go wrong with that) or starting out at TDEE - 15%. Because you are so tired right now, I would personally recommend that you do a reset for at least 6 weeks (preferably 8) just to give your body some time to rest and heal and fuel up before you stress it with a cut again. So that means eating your TDEE number (no cut) for 6 - 8 weeks and then dropping down into your cut mode of -15% to start your loss.