Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Raynn1!!! We are all in this together, girlfriend!!!! We all feel the exact same as you do! I don't think many of us doing the reset have lost inches. I KNOW mine are up. I just refuse to measure them again until July 25th (the end of week 8). I also know my weight is likely up from last week, but I refuse to give in to the mental game like I did last Friday. It was awful! The way I look at it, if this doesn't work I haven't lost anything but a few weeks. BUT... if it DOES work...OMG! For the first time EVER I will be able to lose weight AND eat! I am SOOOOO over starving myself in order to lose weight. I am 49 and I've only lost weight starving and exercising like a fiend for 30+ years. I'm over it!!

I've lived half my life already. It's time for me to LIVE in all aspects of being healthy. Will I ever be a beach babe? NO! Was I ever? NO! So, I'm okay with it. It's about being healthy ... not a string bean. When I was uber thin my life was miserable! It does not bring happiness.

You know everything I'm saying. We all do. Hang in there 8 weeks with us. If we give up early we will never know... ((((HUGS))))

Becky

Thanks Becky et all above...
    I hit the wall hard today and basically panicked over it.. Ive been so focused on just coasting along and getting things done, that I think my mental state finally caught up to me. Im scared to death of this not working, and then Im no better off when I was eating pretty much nothing. That the last 4 months will be for nothing and then Im back to square one again, you know?

Sigh.. I guess we all have moments like this where we think things are just absolutely and completely the wrong way of thinking... even when we know it isnt..
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I am somewhere in my 3rd week of the reset. I had to gradually increase my calories to get to the right amount. I still feel like I am overeating at times, but no where near as disgusted by food as in the beginning of this process which shows improvement. I have gained about 3 lbs from the start of my reset and am pretty much maintaining that it seems which as I understand is also good.

Anyway, I don't have any eat more to weigh less friends and wouldn't mind some input and words of encouragement as well as share stories. If anybody is interested friend me :)
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks Raynn1 that is what i suspected thanks :)
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    HI guys,
    I decided yesterday to do a full reset and to monitor everything for later encouragement for others. So I will weigh myself daily (which I started today) and see what happens over time.
    I am so curious and also a bit anxious but I'll do it and hope to find support every now and then here!
    Speak soon to you all again!!
    D
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I've been toying with the idea of upping calories again for several weeks. I think I might still be slightly under my TDEE. I've been at 2500 and I've still seen a slight downward trend. Yes, I've had a few days where I've been short of 2500, but there's also been quite a few days where I was way over TDEE (as in close to 3000 calorie days!!). So I'm thinking I'm not yet at my true TDEE. So I've upped to 2600. Interestingly when I put my numbers into the fat2fit site and just enter my current weight for goal weight, it gives me the amount of 2658. So that number seems closer to what I've been suspecting for weeks - that 2500 is not quite my TDEE.

Can you tell that I just want to be able to eat as much food as possible when I go to my cut number? This whole eating thing kind of grows on you once the appetite kicks in! When I do get to cut, I'm starting with a small one and will work my way to the 15% gradually I think!
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    @Rayann - how are you feeling today? I think we all have battled that inner voice that says "what the heck are you thinking!" BUT I try to remember what Lucia said about building strong muscles & then once you begin your cut they will be revealed (love the angels singing; doves flying down from heaven reference).

Also try to remember that how quickly 4 weeks pass - stick with the full 8 because you shouldn't sacrifice all your hard work & dedication thus far. We got this!

@Sweatpants - I am totally there with you about wanting to eat as much as I can. I had originally signed up to do the reset for 4 weeks but now am thinking about doing the full 8 and going through the summer...it has been so much fun to go eat :). I am going to start with a 10% cut and then go to 15% and then back to TDEE just to keep doing small resets.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Carriea67 - Im doing a bit better this morning. I had a stiff drink last night after putting the kids to bed and just rested. I had a good cry and that helped too...Im still playing things week by week right now. I think I might at least go to 6 weeks and then decide there. I think this panic attack was enough to convince me that 4 weeks isnt enough time for me mentally.
    God I hope things change physically when the but hits.. I feel like Im on a hamster wheel, doing all this work and getting nowhere, somedays.. Im working so hard with the weights and back to running again, but nothing is showing..

So 6 weeks at least, then Ill reevaluate again.. Least this is longr than I originally was going to do... so thats a plus:)
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Raynn1, you have impressed me so much. You are not alone. I, too, have had moments where my head catches up. You are doing all the right things and you don't ever want to do this again so hang in there!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You are so in this with all of us, Raynn1.

It's hard to force yourself to maintain, but you just have to keep telling yourself that 4 (more) weeks is NOTHING compared to a lifestime of health. Day to day is really tough on this (harder than I thought it would be, for sure) but it will be worth it in the long term.
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Checking in:

I'm finishing up the third week of my reset. I've done a little better with getting more calories in this past week. However, still not really hitting my TDEE of 2464. I've gained 4 lbs total since I started and have not really leveled off yet. I also still feel a lot of bloating around my middle.
    I've decided to stay off the scale until I start my cut. It is too depressing. I might give it the full 8 weeks, haven't really decided yet but I do know my body is really loving the extra food.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I finished my third week of reset today and I am feeling great.
    I did not gain any more weight (6-8lbs depending on the time of weighing)

My clothes are all fitting ok, so I am not bothered by that.

I got a FitBit yesterday and I am tracking my TDEE now. I was anxious that it might be higher than the 2400 I am taking in and seems I am right. it has only been the first day and it is not over yet, but we are already at 2600kcal as of 9pm.

Other than that-all is good.
    Hope you guys are all doing well and staying strong

~Evelyn
  • cca1229
    cca1229 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Morning Everyone!!!

So I have a question....any one struggling to get 25-30grams of fiber with reduced carbs (40%)? I used to hit 30grams easily and now I rarely do. Just curious how you do it without going over carbs and if its effecting bodily functions if your not.
    Thanks!!
    Kate

I have to watch fiber closely too although I like to get it through food its crucial for me so I take psyllium capsules, they are very cheap and can be found in all grocery stores.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Im on day 2 of my reset so very much so a newbie at this :) I was super impressed last night that i didnt even think about eating after dinner (one of the areas i have struggled) ... i did jump on the scales....was up 300 grams....so neither here nor there...but ive got it thru my head not to expect a loss over the next 8 weeks and ill possibly gain as much as 5 kilos....im okay with that knowing its short term...altho i do have the same fears of "what if this doesnt work for me"...fingers crossed for continued stable mental side for me that will be my biggest battle! :)
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    today's my second day 2100 cals a day and I really find it hard to get all that food in!! but I feel good and started monitoring my weight, which (as exspected) is flucuating quite a bit: yesterday morning 134 lbs, today 130! I decided I really want to see those numbers to FINALLY convince myself that the scale never shows you the whole story and to learn not to take it that serious anymore!
    BTW I noticed that even though I am drinking a lot of water, I am constantly thirsty! (Sodium intake is quite low though) Anyone experienced the same thing?
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question about tdee, my bmr is 1267 and I think my tdee based on fat2fit's calulations should be 2,357 calories to maintain my weight which is what I want to do, but for three days this week I was eating 1,800-2,050(as I'm trying to bump up slowly), but thursday-today I have eaten 2,400, maybe more, maybe slightly less but it wouldn't be that much less if at all, but I haven't gained any weight.

I don't know whether because I ate lower for a few days, then higher it leveled out, or whether my tdee is higher? Could someone help me out please, I'm really confused.
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question about tdee, my bmr is 1267 and I think my tdee based on fat2fit's calulations should be 2,357 calories to maintain my weight which is what I want to do, but for three days this week I was eating 1,800-2,050(as I'm trying to bump up slowly), but thursday-today I have eaten 2,400, maybe more, maybe slightly less but it wouldn't be that much less if at all, but I haven't gained any weight.

I don't know whether because I ate lower for a few days, then higher it leveled out, or whether my tdee is higher? Could someone help me out please, I'm really confused.

Give it time Pink :) And keep in mind that if you purge after you eat, you aren't letting the calories enter your system. It's going to take some time for you to actually reach your TDEE calorie goal if you purge what you consume. Take it one day at a time.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You are so in this with all of us, Raynn1.

It's hard to force yourself to maintain, but you just have to keep telling yourself that 4 (more) weeks is NOTHING compared to a lifestime of health. Day to day is really tough on this (harder than I thought it would be, for sure) but it will be worth it in the long term.

This! I'm surprised by how hard it is to stick to maintenance!

Kazzsjourney - hang in there! I think so many of us have those feelings of "what if this doesn't work for me?", "what if I'm the exception to the rule?", etc...I wonder if it's because so many of us have tried so many things that have clearly not worked in the long-term. We're used to things that don't work. It's hard to think that this could be IT!

Desmonema - I feel like I went through a thirsty phase. I remember just guzzling and guzzling and guzzling water like it was going out of style. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced that? But it seems to have passed.

I upped my calories by 168 as I was still trending downward at the end of week four. So yesterday I didn't make it all the way to my new goal. This morning I had a drop that was lower than any of my lows thus far, so I'm pretty sure that I've made the right decision to increase. The good news is that when I get to my cut I'll likely have a little more calories to play with. Yippee! The whole breastfeeding thing is helping with that I'm sure! So right now my TDEE has gone from 2500 to 2668, but I add in my breastfeeding calories in my food diary. So I'm really going to be eating 2968 with my new TDEE. It's crazy to me to think that I could eat nearly 3000 calories a day and not gain! Woot!

I'm feeling happy that my knee is functioning better. I'm due for a long run tomorrow, so I'm hoping there's not even the slightest hint of anything during or after my run. I'm scheduled to swim today, but I may or may not get it in. We have several family activities planned today.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Today is day number 2 of my reset. After reaching out to the EM2WL group yesterday it was suggested that I give the reset a whirl. I'm trying not to panic about eating so much more but after 5 solid months of trying everything else and having no progress I'm ready to give this a whirl.
    Stats:
    26yo F
    SW: 190
    GW: anywhere from 145-175...I'll figure it out as the weight drops!
    BMR: 1668
    TDEE: 2586
    TDEE -15%: 2198
    I'm going to eat at my TDEE for at least 4 weeks and then reevaluate. Hoping this works! I need something after almost 6 months of no losses!!
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Plugging along today.. nothing much here.. I was planning to cut this coming wed, but I think IM going to go to 6 weeks, and then decide from there. I think after my breakdown this week, I need the extra two weeks to keep going and give my body the chance. I will reevaluate at 6 weeks and decide then whether to cut or go the last 2..

Today is going to be interesting to see if I make it to TDEE without crap.. its already 2pm and I am still needing 1800 cals.. Bah!!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    OK, so yesterday I sat myself down and had a good, long talk with myself. I was thinking about the actual number of calories I was eating each day thought that something just didn't seem right. I was also questioning whether I was still NOT eating enough.

So after a thorough discussion with myself, I decided to do an average of the last 8 weeks that I've been EM2WL and just see where I was coming in each week.

My TDEE= 2245
    My TDEE-15%= 1908
    Calorie Goal = 1900
    The averages:
    Week 1=1692
    Week 2=1861
    Week 3=1833
    Week 4=1844
    Week 5=1812
    Week 6=1692
    Week 7=1778
    Week 8=1704

Does anyone see a "1900" in there?.....Anyone? Let me add that I gained 8 pounds eating like this. (smacking herself in the head)
    I am thinking that I really, really, REALLY should have done and should be doing a RESET since in my thinking, if I'm gaining while eating LESS than my TDEE, my metabolism is not "repaired" yet.

Sheez, I could be on the "classic example of what NOT to do" when starting EM2WL page.

So I am thinking of starting my RESET on Monday at 2245 calories. I LOVED that I had SO much information to use to research my questions and come to what I think is the right conclusion.

Any comments or thoughts appreciated.