Introduce Yourself!

Options

Replies

• Obreezes
    Obreezes Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi Katie! Congrats on your fabulous weight loss so far! I did Kaiser too with the Options program. It seemed like such a long wait for the actual surgery, but I can see where the Options program was really beneficial. Welcome!
  • Katiegirl713
    Options
    Hi Obreezes.....

I agree, after realizing so many don't have the education before VSG surgery and have a much harder time acclimating. I pretty much knew what to expect, and glad I had the nutrional information to help guide me.

How are you doing? When did you have your surgery?
  • Obreezes
    Options
    Hi Katie

I had my surgery in September of last year. Lost 50 and then stopped dead in my tracks. It's my own fault that I haven't lost more and I'm working hard on getting myself back on track. That's why I joined MFP - I need motivation and ideas!
  • BebeKate
    BebeKate Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello:

I had my vertical sleeve 11 months ago. I have lost 125 lbs so far and more to go. I have also just joined this site to better track my calories and exercise. The past few months my weight loss has slowed down. I need to keep a closer track on everything. I am starting to get hungry and have started snacking more, but I count my calories. My surgery was the best thing I have done for myself. I am so glad that I did this. I have not had any complications and have felt good every day since day one of my surgery.
  • genara12
    genara12 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! I am new to MFP and found this group. I am scheduled for my sleeve surgery on June 21st. I am currently doing the 2 week preop diet and am really struggling with hunger, headaches, and nausea. Can't seem to make myself drink these protein shakes and am not supposed to have anything solid ( although I've been having salad with grilled chicken at night). I am supposed to have1200 cal a day but am only getting about 600 since I'm not drinking as many shakes as I'm supposed too. I have lost 8 lbs so far and need to lose 20-30 lbs by surgery day so I guess that's good but 11 days seems like forever away. Any help or advise on getting through this phase would be great?
    so looking forward to being part of this group as a Vs ger!!
  • Obreezes
    Options
    Hi Genara

Have you tried the Premier Protein Shakes? They are ready made and are delicious. I had an awful time trying to find a protein shake I liked in the beginning and this was the only one I could really tolerate. If you can find it, give it a try. Here in Southern Calif, the only place I have been able to find them is at Sam's Club, but some people have been able to find them at Costco as well.

Good luck!
  • genara12
    genara12 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks! I will definately look for those. We have Costco and Sam's here in Texas so I should have some luck. :)

I'm currently on day 6 and have lost another 5 lbs!! At this point, I'm starting to believe I can do this and don't feel as hungry as I did a couple of days ago.

Thanks for the tip!
  • Obreezes
    Options
    That's great! Keep up the great work!
  • beachmom24
    Options
    Hi all....
    Just wanted to check in and say my surgery took place last week (6/5/12) and I am starting to feel like myself again! Hardest thing is trying to get in the 40 grams of protein they want me to shoot for now...cannot imagine getting in the 60 they REALLY want down the road:), but I'm sure I'll get there. So happy to have the surgery over and all feeling great...
  • Moniachell
    Options
    I had my surgery on may 22 2012 Im 3 weeks post op I'm looking for support on this journey
  • ordinarybeauty
    Options
    Hi,
    My surgery is scheduled for September 27th, 2012. I am using the time between then and now to lose weight (13 pounds so far), up my exercise, eliminate processed sugar, white bread, (have actually already eliminated those plus coffee, alcohol and pop), develop the habit of chewing 20 times per bite, develop the habit not drinking with my meals, develop the habit of logging my food and my exercise and learning new meals to make. I am grateful for the time between then and now as I have the luxuary of using it to be really informed and prepared and to teach myself new ways of living. :smile:
  • ownkindofbeauty
    ownkindofbeauty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I had VSG , Aug 30 2011. I have lost 100 lbs to date. I am starting to waffle - seemed to have lost the drive.....but working on getting it back!
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi! welcome to the "club" so to speak! :)
    I found another shake I really like -- it is a powder called Body Fortress. Here in Alabama, they have it at Wal-Mart and Publix. (I keep forgetting to check Kroger.) I prefer the Chocolate the best. I LOVE peanut butter, but to me the Choc PB tastes more like coffee. I mix this with milk. Also at Wal-Mart, I bought a Blender Bottle for like $7 - you shake it.. It has a mixing stainless steel ball in it. With the milk, it seems to hold me better than the others and my nutritionist said I need to get approx 16 oz of milk a day. Now, for the all day, I would mix it up so to speak..some of the Premier Protein and some of the Body Fortress. I think it will work for you.

Good luck and fee free to friend me if you are looking for peeps!
  • Moniachell
    Options
    Hi I had my surgery may 22nd 2012 my surgeon is Dr Suh , I haven't weighed since my check up and I was down 35lbs. I see my surgeon on may 28th. I'm very excited to see how much I have lost. All of my clothes are too big which is a good feeling!
  • itsanewdaycassandra
    itsanewdaycassandra Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’m new here. I am a 44 year old woman from Columbia MD who had the vertical sleeve WLS December 1st 2011 at Johns Hopkins Bayview in Baltimore MD by Dr. Kimberly Steele. I am happy with my progress I am down 70 post op and 86 from my highest. So far for me the sleeve is a wonderful tool, but it will not fix everything. So I am on here to stay accountable and to focus on my food intake and exercise! My goal is to be health, mind, body and spirit and to stay focused on reaching these goals always. I would like to be in a healthy BMI by December 2012 so the highest would be 160.00 I am 5'7, and once I get there I will see if I want to continue losing but again I want to stay focused on total health and not just a number. I try to weigh in once a week because I can become a bit obsessive with the scale. My main concern post op is H2O and taking my vitamins everyday. I look forward to connecting with you all.

Cassandra
  • actg95
    Options
    Welcome Cassandra! It is a great group!
  • cajunlady1029
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I had revision surgery from lapband to VSG April 16, 2012. I had some pretty severe complications, so I'm just now able to start my weight loss journey fully. On day of surgery I was at 291, today I'm at 267 and my goal is 145. I see this as a life long journey not a race. I'm more than willing to offer support or lend an understanding ear to anyone needing it. Good luck to each of you on your way to a healthier you!
  • ky_girl_34
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm new here, today actually! I'm scheduled for VSG on July 10th. I'm excited and nervous too. I've been on low sugar protein shakes for almost a week now, my dr asked me to lose 20 by the 10th!!
  • actg95
    Options
    Welcome! It will surprise you how much you lose with those shakes! Hang in there and good luck!
    Also want to welcome Cajunlady1029!
  • charlami
    charlami Posts: 31
    Options
    Wanted to introduce myself. I'm Char and from Greensboro. I had a revision to my original WLS from 2001. My surgeon kept the plumbing the way the other surgeon had but resleeved my stomach. It was open. No lap for me :( I am a week post op today. I was done on 07/09/12. My starting weight before surgery is 370 which is down from the 515 I started with in 01. I popped up to 382 in the hospital due to fluid retention. I havent been on a scale since I got out because I just don't want to be disappointed. I used to watch the scale daily but I can't do that anymore. I am on full liquids but had a bad episode yesterday with some creamed soup so I am going back to clears for a day or 2 before trying again. I saw some other people giving their surgron. Mine is Dr. Paul Enochs in Raleigh, NC. His website is www.surgerync.com. My husband is going to be sleeved soon too. He still has psych and nutrition. His surgeron will be Dr Tyner with the same practice but through their Alamance office in Burlington, NC. I could really use a good support group to help me along.

Char