Stage 1

Options

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    What is everyone's hardest exercise?

Mine are the squats. I'm only doing 50 lbs (I think its 25 lbs plus the bar I use, which I think is 25lbs) because they don't have a squat rack. But the real reason I hate them is I can NOT squat to parallel. If I have no weight and put my arms out (or have dumbells and hold them straight out) I can balance to get all the way down but with weight on my back or even nothing without putting my arms forward I just can't do it. I feel like I have started getting a bit lower but no where near good form.

Squats were/are my hardest too. It's easier doing them with the weight in front (like in stage 2 or with dumbbells) BUT I did realize that it's more of a balance/flexibility thing than a strength thing. I had to suck it up and unload some weight because I wanted to get my *kitten* as low as possible. I figured out (for me) my back was too straight -- which came from a history of squatting with a smith machine. I have to force my chest down more and it's a little easier.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I did WO1A yesterday (and half of WO1B) yesterday and I can't freaking walk! :) Yipee!

I went through the workouts with a trainer as I have a lower back weakness/injury that I would like to not re-injure. She advised that I do hamstring curls instead of the deadlift. At least for right now. Maybe that helps.

Can't you just do lower weight on the deadlifts? It's SUCH a great lift and you'll be missing the benefits if you're just doing hamstring curls. Part of the difficulty with the DL (for me since I'm Mrs. Weakarms) is balancing and holding THAT much weight. It's great for the entire upper body too. You also may want to look at the dumbell single-leg Romanian deadlift in Stage 2. You still work the same muscles but it's WAY less weight.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

Mine are the squats. I'm only doing 50 lbs (I think its 25 lbs plus the bar I use, which I think is 25lbs) because they don't have a squat rack. But the real reason I hate them is I can NOT squat to parallel. If I have no weight and put my arms out (or have dumbells and hold them straight out) I can balance to get all the way down but with weight on my back or even nothing without putting my arms forward I just can't do it. I feel like I have started getting a bit lower but no where near good form.

I'm on stage 1 and I think so far its the lunges as my grip strength is letting me down, 2x 10KG DBs is my limit at the moment after a set it feels like my arms are going to fall off but no struggle on my legs :/ have to keep working on this to improve
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I did WO1A yesterday (and half of WO1B) yesterday and I can't freaking walk! :) Yipee!

I went through the workouts with a trainer as I have a lower back weakness/injury that I would like to not re-injure. She advised that I do hamstring curls instead of the deadlift. At least for right now. Maybe that helps.

Can't you just do lower weight on the deadlifts? It's SUCH a great lift and you'll be missing the benefits if you're just doing hamstring curls. Part of the difficulty with the DL (for me since I'm Mrs. Weakarms) is balancing and holding THAT much weight. It's great for the entire upper body too. You also may want to look at the dumbell single-leg Romanian deadlift in Stage 2. You still work the same muscles but it's WAY less weight.

Good points. I thought I was supposed to do the straight leg deadlift. Those are ouchy. I am going to try the deadlifts (bent legs) next workout and see how it goes. Thank you!
  • TheGsMama
    Options
    I would say the lunges and step-ups have been been my hardest so far (3 workouts in to Stage 1) for the same reason. My arms can't hold all that weight. I did step-ups with 20#DBs this morning and my arms KILL.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I did work out B today. This was my 6th workout in Phase 1. It wasn't as challenging as workout A I must be getting used to the workout. This must be a sign that I need to increase my weights. I think I tweaked my kneck doing squats with the bar the other day. Does anyone else have a recommendation for an alternative way? I must not have been holding the bar correctly.
  • SweetSapphire
    SweetSapphire Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    mariepaul, I believe an olympic bar would be 20kgs. That's some major lifting you're doing!

I am doing 4A today and am planning on pushing myself a little more. I think I underestimate what I can do. Been a victim of the "Barbie" weights too long.
    My stats from workout 3 last week:
    Squats: 45lbs
    Seated rows: 80lbs
    Push-ups: a few real ones, the rest from the weight bench
    Step-ups: 40lbs(20 each hand)
    Prone Jackknife: These are getting easy and I'm actually starting to like them.

Deadlift: 85lbs
    Dumbell shoulder press: 17.5lbs
    Wide Lat Pull Down: 90lbs
    Lunges: 40lbs (20 in each hand)
    Swiss Ball crunches: 10lb plate

How many of you do cardio on your off days? I wasn't planning on it, but I've found I have more energy now. I'm just worried about how that will affect my calories? Do you eat back your exercise calories when you do cardio?

Turns out I haven't been lifting as much as I thought! :laugh: Having had a discussion with one of the men, the weight displayed is not per side of bar but the total! I've got a long way to go until i'm lifting like Hercules! However, today I upped all my weights considerably. So long as I am improving, I'm happy :)
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would say the lunges and step-ups have been been my hardest so far (3 workouts in to Stage 1) for the same reason. My arms can't hold all that weight. I did step-ups with 20#DBs this morning and my arms KILL.

Same here!! I tried doing shoulder presses with 20 lbs too and only managed to do 5 of them and had to go back down to 15. I always feel like I'm going to drop the 20 lb. weights when I'm doing lunges or step-ups but I feel good and strong afterwards!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

The hardest for me is lunges. I've had to go the bar instead of the DBs because I can't grip that much weight, like TheGsMama said. They make my booty, hamstrings, and quads BURN!

I was able to DL 105lbs yesterday- woohoo! I started out with 95lbs for my first set, then thought I'd just try and see if I could do more. Lo and behold, I finished the 2nd set without any trouble. Something about lifting over 100lbs was exciting to me.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I did work out B today. This was my 6th workout in Phase 1. It wasn't as challenging as workout A I must be getting used to the workout. This must be a sign that I need to increase my weights. I think I tweaked my kneck doing squats with the bar the other day. Does anyone else have a recommendation for an alternative way? I must not have been holding the bar correctly.

The first time I did squats with the bar, my neck was ouchy. I realized that instead of resting the bar on the shelf that the muscles of the shoulders/upper back form when I'm holding the bar (like the book said), I was resting it more on my cervical spine area. This link shows the proper placement of the bar: http://trainingtech.org/2012/03/10/muscular-analysis-of-the-box-squat/
    Scroll down to the paragraph titled "Preparation" for a good picture. HTH!
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link!
  • Bluemountain22
    Bluemountain22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I was away from the gym for a week due to lots of overtime at work, and then taking a bit of time off to maintain my sanity. Went back to the gym yesterday and managed to increase weights which was nice.

3a
    Squat -35kg (78lbs)
    Push ups- 30 incline
    Bent over barbell row - 20kg (45lbs)
    Step ups- 3kg Dumbells ( total 13.5lbs) and on weight bench instead of large concrete step outside gym
    Prone jackknife: 6 reps good form

There's so many different ways to do the prone jacknife I was looking on YouTube and the amount of modifications and the basic form seems to vary a lot. Hope everyone else is doing well.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. I'm working out at home. I don't have a squat rack - yet - so I'm doing goblet squats, holding 25 pounds right now, but I'm going to bump the next time, I could do these quite easily.

Here's a facebook picture of Mehdi's back after doing his squats. https://www.facebook.com/stronglifts#!/photo.php?fbid=10150282985550568&set=a.10150141826940568.330066.136073910567&type=1&theater

Clearly the bar shouldn't be up on your neck. He has an awesome video on his stronglifts website showing how to squat.
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/

I went back to 45 degree on pushups because I wasnt doing them with my elbows at my side. That's MUCH more difficult!! But I did them that way today and felt the difference.

I am going to get a larger swiss ball for my prone jackknifes. I did 8 today and had pretty decent control and form, and really felt them in my entire midsection and butt!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Hey all, been a bit rubbish keeping updated, was on holiday beginning of the week, so had a full week off lifting, which was really hard! Was so glad to get back to the gym, the rest week did mean I shifted 2 pounds though!
    Did 6A today, the 3 sets makes a huge difference! Moved to the Smith machine (no squat rack at my gym) for my squats and doubled my weight, worried about losing some form so need to keep an eye on that.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    WOO HOO, have Stage 1 A4 tomorrow and my squat racks have arrived so now I can see just how much I can squat :happy:
  • TheGsMama
    Options
    I did the deadlifts! 45# and my back feels fine today. I got this :). Thanks for the tips ladies.

I haven't been doing the push ups correctly either - I will have to go up in angle most likely.

My trainer (who is also my pilates instructor) gave me some more difficult ab exercises to swap in as my abs are strong (not visible yet, stupid baby pooch!). Instead of the prone jackknife I am using two platforms with rollers on them and doing planks to pikes. Instead of the ball crunches I am doing decline teaser (slow roll up using abs as much as possible).
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    WOO HOO, have Stage 1 A4 tomorrow and my squat racks have arrived so now I can see just how much I can squat :happy:

I'm jealous! I really have to make a decision about that. I know it's crazy but I"m so intimidated at the gym. I think I need to go over there at 5 am when it first opens up and have one of the trainers help me with the rack and seated row machine.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options

I'm jealous! I really have to make a decision about that. I know it's crazy but I"m so intimidated at the gym. I think I need to go over there at 5 am when it first opens up and have one of the trainers help me with the rack and seated row machine.

I was extremely intimidated by the squat rack, but once I got the hang of it, I love it. I think it's a great idea to have a trainer show you how to use it.

I got my lifting gloves today. Woot! I was getting red, ouchy hands from the BB and DB. We'll see if I like using them today. Does anyone else think it's fun when you're the only lady using the weights at the gym? Or you go to use one of the machines and have to double or triple the weights that the last person used? :)
  • Bluemountain22
    Bluemountain22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I was extremely intimidated by the squat rack, but once I got the hang of it, I love it. I think it's a great idea to have a trainer show you how to use it.

I got my lifting gloves today. Woot! I was getting red, ouchy hands from the BB and DB. We'll see if I like using them today. Does anyone else think it's fun when you're the only lady using the weights at the gym? Or you go to use one of the machines and have to double or triple the weights that the last person used? :)

Did 3b today and I think I need to get lifting gloves, my poor hands are already sore from nitrile glove use at work, it was so much harder to grip.

I'm generally the only girl in the gym and today the only one using the barbells which was nice, the new guys were all fighting over the machines and left when it was time for me to do the lat pull.

I normally go to the gym with my guy housemate who's great at pushing me, so while I may sometimes complain about the boys there not too bad even if they smell :p
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I really like the gloves. It took me a few sets to get used to them, but they are great for the hands. I bought the Bionic fitness gloves. Definitely measure and order the size they recommend or even a size up.

Finished 5B today. I'm finding that my form on the lunges hasn't been so great, so I went down on the weights a little to focus on form. I may have gone down a little too much as my legs weren't trembling when I finished :)