Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    5 more days!!!!!!!

I jumped on the scale today for my weekly weigh in and Damn... the scale jumped almost 3 pounds!!!.. I know I didnt gain 3 pounds in 3 days, so water retention is definitely playing in here.. but boy did that number hurt to see.. 5 more days until my cut begins.. Im actually hold off the urge to cut now.. I really want to get it going, especially since Im so close to the end!:)

Did my HIIT yesterday in the heat.. probably not the smartest thing to do, but I finished it. Rest day today and back at NROL tomorrow:)
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Originally, I was perfectly happy to do my reset for a full 8 weeks. I hit a few speedbumps this weekend and didn't have much of an appetite, and seemed to have averaged right around my 10% cut level. So - I'll stick with it. Especially since I'm down a full pound after only 4 days. Yahoo!!

NIce loss to begin terri!!!
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Originally, I was perfectly happy to do my reset for a full 8 weeks. I hit a few speedbumps this weekend and didn't have much of an appetite, and seemed to have averaged right around my 10% cut level. So - I'll stick with it. Especially since I'm down a full pound after only 4 days. Yahoo!!

Terri,

Come on over to the cut thread!! Congrats on the loss!! Yippee!!
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    Ok so I thought, (from reading ya'lls whines ;P) that I was going to feel GROSS and yukky from being bloated and that it was going to be hard to hit my TDEE (granted mines not very high due to my stature) but
    1) I am not having a hard time even when I am home with the "better" food (still working on eating great, 6 boys and one husband make this hard cause they can eat anything they want....and older boys can buy whatever they want.....) but some good news is that a few of my kids will try to eat what I am eating....and like it (for insance, red bell peppers today were a hit for my youngest tomato lover! He is one omy twins and is 5...great NSV in my book!)
    2) I thought I would be fighitng bloat more, I mean I get gassy and feel yuk in teh tummy area but its not horrible, and I wake up with my stomach feeing like a million bucks...even after two meals at McDonals yesterday >.<

Is it okay that I am able (mentally even) to deal with all this food and if Im not feel terribly yukky does it mean possibly that I havent figured out my true TDEE? I mean I am still on week one so I dont even know what my weight is doing which doesnt really bother me either I just want to feel good, tired of feeling weak during workouts or having a hard time sleeping, I could care less if I am a size 10 (at 4'11" thats big which Im a size 12 currntly) but if I look good in that size 10 then thats what matters. I have always been a muscuar person, putting muscle on is easy peasy...and thats something I have had a hard time with mentally (in the past) because it meant the scale is never as low as Id like it to be, I just didnt know much about eating right to look good when I had all that musle before...Im rambling.
    But really Im second guessing IF I figured out what my TDEE should be if Im not having such a hard time, I guess I should wait and see what weigh in is like on Wed...because I know I gained from last wed to last saturday, but then again...I was gaining and losing the same few pounds trying to eat as low cal as I could...which is what brought me here in the first place.
    I guess Im just confused, except that I know I want to eat and am happy eating. :)

I was similar to you. I am taller though and was born muscular so I do add it on easy-ish which can be a good and bad thing. I Especially get bulky in my legs!:ohwell:

I had zero problem jumping up from about 1400-1500 to 2700 in one day and while I did bloat some, I was in the beginnings of TOM territory so who knows. But in the middle of week 5 it really hit me hard. I felt fat and bloated and had a real hard time mentally until about the start of week 7. I have yet to step on the scale. I too have always weighed high but seeing it go even higher....I just didn't think I could handle that. If you weigh, they say wait 4 weeks before you make any changes. Most of us seemed to have gained some on the scale, but the idea is that it should hold fairly steady after a few weeks. maybe if you are losing scale weight after two weeks maybe add some more calories. If you are hungry you could add 100 to your day and it shouldn't affect anything.

Its more about being consistent and better to be a tad over than under. So by adding more, the worst that will happen is you will gain more.

Thanks Triple your comments helped me look into the future, to have soemthing to look out for, I appreciate it lots. I was just feeling like it was way to easy compared to what everyone else was saying so I must have been doing something wrong LOL but now I know to keep treking and soon enough I will be on here whinning about bloat ;P
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks Triple your comments helped me look into the future, to have soemthing to look out for, I appreciate it lots. I was just feeling like it was way to easy compared to what everyone else was saying so I must have been doing something wrong LOL but now I know to keep treking and soon enough I will be on here whinning about bloat ;P
    [/quote]

Thats funny because I felt the same way when I started! I thought maybe I was enjoying it too much and I had to be doing something wrong! I am an over-thinker and I was actually going to just give it all up until I found EM2WL. I really just opened my mind and let them fill it and not think twice. Everything I had been doing hadn't worked for over 2 years so apparently I knew nothing :laugh: Anytime doubt crept in I reminded myself of how I used to eat and work out and not lose or gain, then see how much I was eating and hadn't really gained. I know I have gained more now but about 4 weeks into reset I kept eating over TDEE and now in my last week of reset and on a full rest, I am still eating over some days!

just hope I can knock that off starting Sunday:frown:
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    Because I am so excited about my cut starting Sunday, I decided to run my numbers through Scooby ust to see what I will be dropping to. I haven't weighed myself yet, I am saving that little gem for Sunday, but I took a stab and guessed a 5 pound gain (One can only hope, right?) At a 10% cut on moderate I will be eating at 2411. Currently I am using my starting weight for my TDEE since I never stepped on the scale this whole time. Currently my TDEE is 2371.

So obviously I need to step on the scale tomorrow. So should I just start my cut tomorrow instead of Sunday if these numbers are correct?

Now I have admitted before that I tend to eat over, and I have had a bad habit for almost a week now to let my self go over thinking well, I'll be at cut soon and have to be serious so get it out of my system now. Bad thinking, I know. I just know I have the wiggle room now since I am not worried about losing but I will lose that wiggle room once I cut to 10% since I want to lose inches!

I am on the fence about this....like I am cheating if I cut tomorrow instead of Sunday. Now I see why I should have braved the scale at least half way through!

Any input is appreciated!
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Because I am so excited about my cut starting Sunday, I decided to run my numbers through Scooby ust to see what I will be dropping to. I haven't weighed myself yet, I am saving that little gem for Sunday, but I took a stab and guessed a 5 pound gain (One can only hope, right?) At a 10% cut on moderate I will be eating at 2411. Currently I am using my starting weight for my TDEE since I never stepped on the scale this whole time. Currently my TDEE is 2371.

So obviously I need to step on the scale tomorrow. So should I just start my cut tomorrow instead of Sunday if these numbers are correct?

Now I have admitted before that I tend to eat over, and I have had a bad habit for almost a week now to let my self go over thinking well, I'll be at cut soon and have to be serious so get it out of my system now. Bad thinking, I know. I just know I have the wiggle room now since I am not worried about losing but I will lose that wiggle room once I cut to 10% since I want to lose inches!

I am on the fence about this....like I am cheating if I cut tomorrow instead of Sunday. Now I see why I should have braved the scale at least half way through!

I think we all have days where we think like that... Ive gone over, or picked the wrong things to eat just because I know Im at cut.. Silly, but I have. I know I cant do that on a regular basis.

I really want to cut now, only because I am SOOOOOOO close to the end, but I will stick to my last day on Sunday. I will step on the scale again on monday morning and get my new numbers from there.:)
  • jmletavec
    jmletavec Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a reset question. Are we essentially teaching our bodies to eat at the higher calorie level?

Scooby set me in the moderate activity level and 2391 calories. I got a BodyMedia Fit core and my average burn is in the 2200s. If i continue to eat 2391 will I increase my metabolism to burn up to the 2391 or will I just gain weight?
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

What difference would a couple of days make?

The "Queen of Stay Off the Scale" stepped on it the other day and had a full-fledged panic attack. Luckily I came right here and got the support I needed to "talk me down"!

MY reason for getting on that d@#m thing was because I was/am under the impression that the way to tell that your particular Reset is over is when your weight gain stabilizes, making periodic weigh-ins a necessity.

I'm thinking you kind of HAVE to get on the scale before you Cut, right? Prepare yourself for the worst and hope for the best.:noway:

And we'll be right here for you..........:heart:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

I totally used that exact logic to have a second bowl of ice cream yesterday. Seriously. It's hard to stay with healthy food choices when you know you've got the room for junk!

I'm sticking it out until Sunday. Why not stick it out and cut with those of us who are starting our cut on Sunday? :D

So three more days of TDEE and then CUT. Woot! I'm over the moon excited to resume the weight loss journey!
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    Thanks ladies!

I don't think I worded my last post right. I had originally thought that my cut at a higher weight was higher than my current TDEE but I did get on the scale and take measurements today. I put in my numbers and I was comparing the wrong boxes yesterday!

I will stick it out until Sunday though:wink: I have gained about 10lbs. Not great but not terrible, its a number I've seen before.:ohwell:

I did drop 100 cals off my goals to help ease into my lower calories today. I just want to get my head into the right mindset, that this is game time! Then on Sunday when I drop to full cut it won't seem quite so bad:tongue:

We are so close!
  • Raynn1
    Options
    I have a reset question. Are we essentially teaching our bodies to eat at the higher calorie level?

Scooby set me in the moderate activity level and 2391 calories. I got a BodyMedia Fit core and my average burn is in the 2200s. If i continue to eat 2391 will I increase my metabolism to burn up to the 2391 or will I just gain weight?

If you have a BMF I would go by what that says and not Scooby. The website is just a guesstimate.. the BMF is more accurate.

I know Kiki did an experiment with increasing her cals to increase her metabolism, but she went very slowly and said it was only to be done if you had no issues with seeing the scale raise.. so I wouldnt recommend just for the sake of eating an extra 100 or so cals:)
  • Raynn1
    Options
    I am dying to cut... especially when the scale jumped up huge on me this past few days.. If I were to cut today, my total gain would be 8 pounds.
    My inches are incredibly disheartening.. my waist alone is up almost 3 inches.. Could still be a bit of retention in there, but still.. 3 inches????

Ugh.... I really just need it to be cut time!!:)
    4 more days... 4 more days
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    After much research and pulling of hair, I've decided that eating too little is causing me some problems. My journey has taken years and I've probably been netting under BMR for a lot of it. My problem is that when I try adding more calories, I immediately gain weight and freak out (a story I'm sure most of you can relate to) so I don't stick with it. After gaining and losing the same 5 pounds since Christmas with a lifting program, the completion of C25K and a decent amount of cycling, I'm ready to bite the bullet and try something different.

Just want to check in and get some advice on the numbers:

I'm 37F, 5'8" and 158

I've had MFP set to 1300 and generally eat almost all of my exercise calories back (which I measure with a Polar FT4 HRM). I've /gained/ 3 pounds in the last 7 months and haven't lost inches or clothing sizes, despite eating very well and exercising religiously. I'm apple shaped and while I'm getting to be ok with my arms and legs, I have a lot of fat in my midsection, so there's definitely at least 15 pounds left to go.

I lift weights MWF for about 45min, go on a brisk walk every night after dinner, and usually ride my bike 10-15 miles a couple times a week. Assuming my exercise level is "moderate", Scooby is giving me these numbers:

BMR: 1481
    TDEE: 2295
    15% reduction: 1951

If I plug in "light" for exercise they change to:

Recommendations of where to start? I was thinking 1900...is that still not enough to reset? Also, do you guys suggest adding calories slowly (say 100 per week), or just doing it all at once?

Tips, tricks, support, etc welcome. Thanks everyone :)
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    After much research and pulling of hair, I've decided that eating too little is causing me some problems. My journey has taken years and I've probably been netting under BMR for a lot of it. My problem is that when I try adding more calories, I immediately gain weight and freak out (a story I'm sure most of you can relate to) so I don't stick with it. After gaining and losing the same 5 pounds since Christmas with a lifting program, the completion of C25K and a decent amount of cycling, I'm ready to bite the bullet and try something different.

Just want to check in and get some advice on the numbers:

I'm 37F, 5'8" and 158

I've had MFP set to 1300 and generally eat almost all of my exercise calories back (which I measure with a Polar FT4 HRM). I've /gained/ 3 pounds in the last 7 months and haven't lost inches or clothing sizes, despite eating very well and exercising religiously. I'm apple shaped and while I'm getting to be ok with my arms and legs, I have a lot of fat in my midsection, so there's definitely at least 15 pounds left to go.

I lift weights MWF for about 45min, go on a brisk walk every night after dinner, and usually ride my bike 10-15 miles a couple times a week. Assuming my exercise level is "moderate", Scooby is giving me these numbers:

BMR: 1481
    TDEE: 2295
    15% reduction: 1951

If I plug in "light" for exercise they change to:

Recommendations of where to start? I was thinking 1900...is that still not enough to reset? Also, do you guys suggest adding calories slowly (say 100 per week), or just doing it all at once?

Tips, tricks, support, etc welcome. Thanks everyone :)

Good for you for doing your research and wanting to take back your health! Welcome! :flowerforyou:

I think you are definitely in the moderate activity category. Go all the way to 2295...really, just make it 2300 if you want a nice round number- the extra 5 calories won't make a difference. ;) You could start with a lower number, but I'm starting to see a trend here with people who start their numbers too low and then give up when this doesn't work. If you've really come to the conclusion that this is what you need, might as well go all in. You've been at this for seven months - a bit of time for a reset is nothing in the long-term.
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    Thanks!!

The whole journey has been more like 5 years. The plateau has been 7 months ;)

2300...I really can't even wrap my head around a number like that. All I see is weight piling on. Right now if I have a fun weekend and go 1000/2000 over 1300 for one DAY the scale is up 3 pounds the entire next week. I shudder to think what might happen if I stick to that for a couple months. How the hell do you let go of the fear?

P.S. MFP is telling me that maintenance for my age/height/weight is 1820. Why such a big disparity between here and what Scooby's calculator is telling me? Anyone have any experience with using one set of numbers vs the other?
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    Well, I'm starting my life today, I guess. I reset my mfp calorie goals from a ridiculously low amount to my TDEE (averaged from a few different web sites). I'm going to work on my netting at least my BMR over the next couple of weeks, as well. I'm anticipating a slow process as I'm coming from a place of negative net and extreme caloric restriction. But, I tell ya', looking at my diary today.... I keep feeling almost.... shocked... THERE'S SO MUCH FOOD!

Yeah, going to be slow and tough. But I'm committed to eating what my body needs and right now I'm trying to only think of that benefit, not even trying to see the potential weight loss down the road.

Anyway, I guess I was just looking for a place to voice this. To say hey, I'm starting. Now. A wee bit of out-in-the-open goal setting never hurt, right?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Thanks!!

The whole journey has been more like 5 years. The plateau has been 7 months ;)

2300...I really can't even wrap my head around a number like that. All I see is weight piling on. Right now if I have a fun weekend and go 1000/2000 over 1300 for one DAY the scale is up 3 pounds the entire next week. I shudder to think what might happen if I stick to that for a couple months. How the hell do you let go of the fear?

P.S. MFP is telling me that maintenance for my age/height/weight is 1820. Why such a big disparity between here and what Scooby's calculator is telling me? Anyone have any experience with using one set of numbers vs the other?

It is hard to to imagine at first. When I was eating 1500ish calories a day and found this philosophy I went all the way up to 2300 (that was my cut value). Now I'm eating 2600 on maintenance. I had the same fears. You will very likely see a gain, maybe even for several weeks. This is a HUGE test of patience and faith that this is the right way to go. The best thing you can do is read through the information until the logic clicks and you truly feel that this is the best way for you to go. Stick around this thread. Everyone is super supportive.

As far as the discrepancy, there's different calculation methods out there. Personally I don't trust MFP's numbers as it tells me I should be gaining weight when I manually enter my calorie goal. You will find a bit of difference between various online calculators. The best thing to do is just to pick one and stick to it. Consistency is key!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Well, I'm starting my life today, I guess. I reset my mfp calorie goals from a ridiculously low amount to my TDEE (averaged from a few different web sites). I'm going to work on my netting at least my BMR over the next couple of weeks, as well. I'm anticipating a slow process as I'm coming from a place of negative net and extreme caloric restriction. But, I tell ya', looking at my diary today.... I keep feeling almost.... shocked... THERE'S SO MUCH FOOD!

Yeah, going to be slow and tough. But I'm committed to eating what my body needs and right now I'm trying to only think of that benefit, not even trying to see the potential weight loss down the road.

Anyway, I guess I was just looking for a place to voice this. To say hey, I'm starting. Now. A wee bit of out-in-the-open goal setting never hurt, right?

Welcome! :flowerforyou: It feels nice being able to eat once you get used to it. Hurray for you for your commitment to give your body what it needs!
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options

[/quote]

Thats funny because I felt the same way when I started! I thought maybe I was enjoying it too much and I had to be doing something wrong! I am an over-thinker and I was actually going to just give it all up until I found EM2WL. I really just opened my mind and let them fill it and not think twice. Everything I had been doing hadn't worked for over 2 years so apparently I knew nothing :laugh: Anytime doubt crept in I reminded myself of how I used to eat and work out and not lose or gain, then see how much I was eating and hadn't really gained. I know I have gained more now but about 4 weeks into reset I kept eating over TDEE and now in my last week of reset and on a full rest, I am still eating over some days!

just hope I can knock that off starting Sunday:frown:
    [/quote]

Is a full rest reccommended on yoru last week of reset?

and Im sending you a friend request, I like your tought proccesses (sp) and it will be nice to have a friend that eats ;)
    Even though, I missed my goal yesterday by about 185 calories (about lol...more like exactly) and today Im struggle but I only walked today so Im not hungry