Brenda's Maintenance Journal Year 1

Brendalea69
Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
edited June 2018 in Social Groups
Height: 5'2"
Highest Weight.........194 on 9/06/2016
1st Goal Weight........130 on 5/27/2017 (-64 LBs)
2nd Goal Weight.......125 on 1/20/2018 (-69 LBs)
Lowest Weight..........122 on 3/31/2018
Total Weight Lost......-72 Pounds
How long in maintenance: 1 Year :)
Maintenance Weight Range: 120's

Average weight recorded for Month of:
June............129
July..............130
August.........129
September...129
October........129
November....129
December....128
January........127
February.......126
March...........125
April..............123
May...............124 :) 1 Year <3

Eating Plan...
OMAD As Needed

194/130/125
ccil5koadkh5.jpg

Replies

• wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Yay, looking forward to your maintenance posts. I see you lost another pound. That's great! Will you be trying to up your calories on non-OMAD days? 1600 seems awfully low for maintenance calories.
  • Brendalea69
    edited June 2017
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Yay, looking forward to your maintenance posts. I see you lost another pound. That's great! Will you be trying to up your calories on non-OMAD days? 1600 seems awfully low for maintenance calories.

The less you weigh the less you get to eat :(
    I didn't account for my exercise calories so next week I get to eat 1843 calories on my feasting days :smile:
  • wsandy8512
    Gotcha, and how nice you get 1853 next week! Only curious so I'll know what to expect when I reach my goal of 130. Are we around same height and age? I'm 5'5" and 47.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    @brendagaudette
    You may even be able to eat more than the 1843 if you have a a deficit on your OMAD days. You should also be able to eat back your deficits from your OMAD days.
  • Brendalea69
    edited June 2017
    Gotcha, and how nice you get 1853 next week! Only curious so I'll know what to expect when I reach my goal of 130. Are we around same height and age? I'm 5'5" and 47.

I'm 5'3" and 48 (on the 22nd) :smile:
  • Brendalea69
    edited June 2017
    blambo61 wrote: »
    @brendagaudette
    You may even be able to eat more than the 1843 if you have a a deficit on your OMAD days. You should also be able to eat back your deficits from your OMAD days.

Does that mean I get to eat more calories if I burn more calories than I eat? Yesterday I ate 300 calories and I burned them all off :smile:
  • wsandy8512
    Do you plug your calories into MFP? On mine, say I get 1500 calories. If I exercise 300 calories worth, it will give me a 300 deficit and 300 calories more to eat. I should think it'd be the same for maintenance? But most people don't trust calculations for how much burned so they will eat back 50-75% of the deficit. Maintenance is the perfect time for you to see if you can trust the calories burned, especially after losing another pound. Maybe start eating back 50%? If you lose, shoot for 75% and see how that goes.
  • Brendalea69
    I'm using the 5:2 calculator and those 1800 calories are with my exercise already included...my BMR for my weight and height is 1189 calories daily which I think is low but then again at least I can eat more if I exercise :smile:
  • wsandy8512
    Thank you, kind lady! :) Still learning here. Lol
  • Brendalea69
    Thank you, kind lady! :) Still learning here. Lol

You're welcome and I'm still learning too :p
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    Awesome Brenda! I am right now almost where you started your journey(around 190 lbs) and your journey keeps me so motivated. :smiley:
  • blambo61

I didn't account for my exercise calories so next week I get to eat 1843 calories on my feasting days :smile:

I read above as you get 1800 on your "fasting" days and not "feasting" days. Man was I ever confused!

I'm still not sure I'm following. If your BMR is 1200 and you exersise 300, you should get to eat at least 1500 cals (not counting additional steps you might do).

how many cals do you eat on fasting days and non-fasting days? How many cals of exercise and steps do you get on each of those days?
  • blambo61
    edited June 2017
    Brenda,

Here is my weight chart. The last 5-months I have been able to stay pretty steady without a big gain like I did twice before. The key for me was when I ate more meals to eat them very low carb. I don't limit the evening meal in carbs except to not eat a ton of sugary stuff (most of the time). I also don't try to do accurate calorie counting but I will sometimes try to figure it out in my mind and may make some adjustments due to that. Most of the time, I just eat tell full and that is why I lose slow, but I've maintained successfully for a long time because the style I described is sustainable for me! You can see all the splurge day up-tics in the chart! I'm hoping to start losing some more now.

1p7c9s4hhbrl.png
  • Brendalea69
    blambo61 wrote: »

I read above as you get 1800 on your "fasting" days and not "feasting" days. Man was I ever confused!

I'm still not sure I'm following. If your BMR is 1200 and you exersise 300, you should get to eat at least 1500 cals (not counting additional steps you might do).

how many cals do you eat on fasting days and non-fasting days? How many cals of exercise and steps do you get on each of those days?

My BMR is 1189

Fasting days I get 461 calories and I burn 461 calories and if I do this for 2 days then my deficit for the week would be 922 calories right?

Feasting days I get 1843 and I burn 654 calories which equals my BMR.
  • blambo61
    How many calories do you eat each day and how much activity do you do each day, not how much the calculator is telling you to eat? I don't know how the calculator works. I set my mfp goal to maint, then if I do exercise, I can go up to the number that is presented. I don't like how the normal setup does the math. I still can't tell what is going on.

I'm sure you are eating more than 461 cals on your fasting days. I think your saying you do 461 cals of activity and therefore you can eat that back? Sorry, I'm not tracking, I guess I'm kind of dense today.

Bottom line is if your BRM is approx 1200 and you have 400 cals of activity, you can eat at least 1600 cals and not gain weight. Any deficit below that on one day could be applied to the next day so that your have a deficit one day but a surplus the next but both of them average out to being equal to your TDEE.
  • Brendalea69
    edited June 2017
    That is the amount of calories I eat and the amount of calories I burn...Im 48 and 5'3" and 130 pounds and the activity level I set it at is moderate exercise...You would have to see the calculator that I use to understand, it took me a long time but I finally understand it (I think) Below is the calculator I use..

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/#calculator
  • blambo61
    I read the link and think i understand it now.

Sounds like your TDEE is 1843, your BMR is 1189. Your supposed to eat 1843 on non-fast days and your supposed to eat 461 (1843/4) on your two fasting days. I think that is what you have been describing.

If that is the case then on your non-fast days you will not have a deficit on those days if you eat up to 1843 cals (as long as your activity levels don't change also). On your fast days, you will have a total deficit of (1843 - 461) * 2 = 2764 kcals for the week. That also assumes your activity levels are the same on fast days as non-fast days.

If that is all correct, you will lose at least 2764/3500 ~ 0.8=lbs for the week. You will probably lose more though. I find that we lose more than CICO predicts especially if we are fasting and/or are doing any low carb eating due to the inefficiencies of those things in providing calories for the body to use (fasting requires storage of fat while eating and then using it while fasting which is not as efficient as eating straight carbs continuously for the same amount of calories - you have loses in usable calories with fasting - that is my belief anyways).

If you just want to maintain with no calorie deficit for the week, then you could eat up to an additional 2764/5 = 552 kcals on your other five days to not have a deficit for the week. That means you could eat 1843 + 552 = 2395 calories on your other days and shouldn't gain any weight.

There were a lot of assumptions in my reasoning and if your exercise is different or if the 1843 is more than your TDEE, then the numbers would need to be adjusted.

I'm not sure if I were you to go that high of calories but still do your 1843 cals on your eating days and see what happens. I think you will lose more weight.
  • blambo61
    I think below is probably the accurate calculation:

In addition to your BMR, if you burn 462 on fasting days (steps + exercise) and you burn 654 cals on non fasting days (steps + exercise), your weekly deficit will be:

Non-fasting days: 1843 (eating) - 1189 (BMR) - 654 (for activity) = 0
    Fasting days: 461 (eating) - 1189 (BMR) - 461 (activity) = 1189

Weekly deficit will be: 1189 *2 = 2378 kcals

You could then split the 2378 into the other 5-meals (an additional 475) which is 2318/day for the non-fasting days. Bon Appetit!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    I'm using the 5:2 calculator and those 1800 calories are with my exercise already included...my BMR for my weight and height is 1189 calories daily which I think is low but then again at least I can eat more if I exercise :smile:

Yes. You are now at the point where you can start experimenting / pushing your body. Play with the calories a bit and gradually become more active in a way that suits your lifestyle. :-)
  • Brendalea69
    edited June 2017
    Thanks so much for the information blambo61, I could use those extra 2378 calories on Saturday since its my splurge day :smile: