What does your low carb meals look like??

Options

Replies

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Halloumi is a fresh cheese.

And you can fry it? Sounds amazing....I love cheese! I'll have to look for this type.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »

And you can fry it? Sounds amazing....I love cheese! I'll have to look for this type.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2013/10/fried-halloumi-haloumi-cheese-recipe/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-halloumi-cheese-recipe.html

– Halloumi cheese (sometimes called haloumi or halumi) is found in Arabic, Turkish, and Greek markets. I also found some recipes online (below) in case you want to try your hand at making your own.

Related Recipes and Links

Baked Goat Cheese

Creamy Feta-Red Wine Vinegar Salad Dressing

Fried White Beans with Sorrel, Feta and Sumac

Marinated Feta

Cucumber and Feta Salad

8 Tips for Using and Choosing Olive Oil

Grilled Halloumi Cheese Skewers with Mushrooms and Onions (Kalyn’s Kitchen)

Grilled Halloumi with Za’atar and Roasted Red Pepper Coulis (Cook Sister)

Homemade Halloumi (Wholesome Cook)

Haloumi with Cow Milk (Simone’s Kitchen)
  • esaucier17
    Options
    Would really like to see a cup of bulletproof coffee if someone would share!

Here's how I make my bulletproof coffee.
    uzrfu2kjvfsx.jpeg
    Look at that beautiful frothy cream and butter top! This stuff is heaven!
    I go with 1tsp coconut oil, 1tsp butter, 1Tbs heavy cream and 2Tbs sugar free syrup in 12 oz. coffee.

If i don't have an immersion blender do you think I could whip this up in my Nutri Bullet?
  • esaucier17
    Options

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-halloumi-cheese-recipe.html

– Halloumi cheese (sometimes called haloumi or halumi) is found in Arabic, Turkish, and Greek markets. I also found some recipes online (below) in case you want to try your hand at making your own.

Related Recipes and Links

Baked Goat Cheese

Creamy Feta-Red Wine Vinegar Salad Dressing

Fried White Beans with Sorrel, Feta and Sumac

Marinated Feta

Cucumber and Feta Salad

8 Tips for Using and Choosing Olive Oil

Grilled Halloumi Cheese Skewers with Mushrooms and Onions (Kalyn’s Kitchen)

Grilled Halloumi with Za’atar and Roasted Red Pepper Coulis (Cook Sister)

Homemade Halloumi (Wholesome Cook)

Haloumi with Cow Milk (Simone’s Kitchen)

Awesome....thank you so much!
  • esaucier17
    Options
    Would really like to see a cup of bulletproof coffee if someone would share!

Here's how I make my bulletproof coffee.
    uzrfu2kjvfsx.jpeg
    Look at that beautiful frothy cream and butter top! This stuff is heaven!
    I go with 1tsp coconut oil, 1tsp butter, 1Tbs heavy cream and 2Tbs sugar free syrup in 12 oz. coffee.

If i don't have an immersion blender do you think I could whip this up in my Nutri Bullet?

Yes definitely. I had a cheapo single cup blender thingy that I used to use but the plastic cups that came with it would get tiny cracks in them and send hot coffee spewing into my eyeballs every morning so I got this cheapo immersion blender instead since I couldn't find a small blender with glass cups on the cheap.
    Have you guys figured out I'm super cheap yet?
    In other news, my immersion blender wouldn't turn off this morning and I had to pull the cord so I didn't blend up my whole kitchen. :neutral:

LMAO....that is funny about it not shutting off! Hey I'm super cheap too...it's a good thing. I only got a Nutri Bullet because I had a gift card, lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    cj92ipha1vts.jpg
    blackened orange roughy over cajun cauliflower "rice"

0t5vbb7otlwb.jpg
    rack of lamb with mint gremolata and roasted radishes in browned butter

4wx6h9upjcds.jpg
    shirred eggs over creamed peas (reduced heavy cream) topped with bacon & gruyere

9dtbfjpgxj8n.jpg
    baked chiles rellenos (not battered) stuffed with leftover pulled pork or chicken & cheese in a homemade mexi tomato sauce

Last week I bought a three pack of smoked turkey legs from Sams Club & simmered two of them for 30min in broth, pulled it apart & then added a couple bunches of chopped collards with some sauted onion & garlic for another hour. What a great meal that turned out to be...splash of hot sauce & vinegar to complete. So simple, but so much flavor.

Ok. I am going to NEED the rellenos recipe! That's my fav Mexican dish eva!

And I don't know what shirred eggs are and I don't know if I can fit peas into my plan and I also don't know what gruyere is, or how to pronounce it, but this looks good and you said creamed and bacon and totally got my attention.

I have seen so many foods that I am not familiar with since being in the group and I think that's awesome! I'm not a "cook from a recipe" person exactly because I usually just go for quick, simple and I know what the ingredients actually are kinda thing. lol But, sometimes I really want to go for it and try something just because I'm not familiar with it.
  • esaucier17
    Options
    cj92ipha1vts.jpg
    blackened orange roughy over cajun cauliflower "rice"

0t5vbb7otlwb.jpg
    rack of lamb with mint gremolata and roasted radishes in browned butter

4wx6h9upjcds.jpg
    shirred eggs over creamed peas (reduced heavy cream) topped with bacon & gruyere

9dtbfjpgxj8n.jpg
    baked chiles rellenos (not battered) stuffed with leftover pulled pork or chicken & cheese in a homemade mexi tomato sauce

Last week I bought a three pack of smoked turkey legs from Sams Club & simmered two of them for 30min in broth, pulled it apart & then added a couple bunches of chopped collards with some sauted onion & garlic for another hour. What a great meal that turned out to be...splash of hot sauce & vinegar to complete. So simple, but so much flavor.

Ok. I am going to NEED the rellenos recipe! That's my fav Mexican dish eva!

And I don't know what shirred eggs are and I don't know if I can fit peas into my plan and I also don't know what gruyere is, or how to pronounce it, but this looks good and you said creamed and bacon and totally got my attention.

I have seen so many foods that I am not familiar with since being in the group and I think that's awesome! I'm not a "cook from a recipe" person exactly because I usually just go for quick, simple and I know what the ingredients actually are kinda thing. lol But, sometimes I really want to go for it and try something just because I'm not familiar with it.

I also need that Rellenos recipe! The pea recipe look delicious too....I know gruyere is a cheese like swiss but I don't know what shirred eggs are either!
  • esaucier17
    Options
    I kinda throw my recipes together. Shirred eggs are just baked eggs, usually in cream/butter or a sauce like the creamed peas...just bake until eggs are set. I reduce heavy cream on the stove until it thickens to my liking, (reduce by half) & season w/ fresh nutmeg, white pepper, thyme (fresh & ground), salt. That's the base for my creamed peas, spinach or even better, kale. Just stir in leaves that have been wilted & drained. I also saute shallots & add to that as well. I cook for two of us & only make enough for each meal, I don't really have measurements.

Yeah, gruyere is a type of hard swiss, awesome melted on ham too!

Chiles Rellenos:

4-6 Large Poblano Peppers
    Monterey Jack Cheese – shredded
    Chicken or Pork – cooked, pulled, diced, leftovers, whatevs (meat is optional, usually made with cheese only)
    Cilantro, Green Onion, Jalapeno – chopped

Roast peppers over a flame, either stovetop or grill until completely charred, place in bag & allow to steam for 10-15 minutes. Peel/clean the skins from the peppers, taking care not to tear them. I will run them under water to help rinse off the char. These can also be stuffed w/o charring/peeling if the skin does not bother you, will take a little longer in oven.

Mix equal parts cheese and meat, add cilantro/onion/peno to taste. Carefully make a cut down side of pepper & stuff with meat/cheese mixture.

Pour sauce below (or salsa seasoned with a pinch of cinnamon) into an iron skillet or baking dish, 1-2 cups, enough to cover bottom of pan. Place stuffed peppers in pan on top of sauce, cut-side up. Sprinkle more shredded cheese over top. Bake in pre-heated 400f oven for 10-15 min or until bubbly.

Mexican Tomato Sauce for the Chiles Rellenos (super easy to make if you have a blender):

• 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped (or canned whole peeled tomatoes, drained)
    • 1/4 medium yellow onion
    • 6 cloves garlic
    • 5 sprigs fresh cilantro
    • 1 jalapeno (with seeds)
    • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (preferably Mexican)

In a blender, combine all the ingredients and puree until smooth.
    Transfer the tomato puree to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until slightly thick, about 10 minutes.

This sauce is incredible if you have the time to make it. I make it in large amounts and can it in pint jars, perfect amount per meal.

Yield: about 3 cups

Thank you so much! I will be trying both of these.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I made low carb mozzarella cheese sticks last night to go with my hamburger patty YUM :)
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

(...)

A comparable cheese is Finnish "leipäjuusto": grill it, toast it, fry it, bake it, and in Finland they dunk it in coffee.

Also does well as desert, served with berries

It is fairly easy to make yourself if you can't get hold of it in a shop.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2790.0.html
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    No
    7qqv57t9u1ew.jpeg

Bacon and cheese double cheeseburger from Steak and Shake with no bun, on top of a side salad instead of fries. Tossed out the croutons and shredded carrots. And ranch dressing drizzled on top. Yummy!!

Now we're talking!! Lol
  • esaucier17
    Options
    No
    7qqv57t9u1ew.jpeg

Bacon and cheese double cheeseburger from Steak and Shake with no bun, on top of a side salad instead of fries. Tossed out the croutons and shredded carrots. And ranch dressing drizzled on top. Yummy!!

Now we're talking!! Lol

I know......YUMMY!!!! There is a Steak and Shake right down the street from me and I want to go there after work for dinner now...LOL