Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    Goodness, I need to reread these posts. I could learn a lot about these bushes you are discussing. I hope you find a fast growing option Anne. Better to annoy Harry and to keep you safe.

The sun is out! 🌞 Happy, happy, happy. I have been out on the deck and looked over my plants. They are looking quite bedraggled right now. Hoping the sunshine and warm temperatures will perk them up again. Meanwhile, here are some of the tomatoes left from before the deluges.

owxtdoqvf9fo.jpeg

There are many black cherry tomatoes out there. Some ripening and lots more green. The larger tomatoes look to be pretty much done. The continued rain of the past week caused the skins to break on every green tomato. I am guessing unless they can do a great job of healing, they will rot. Pleasant yes? 🤣😂

Here’s another little quirky thing. One of the puzzles I opened had a card in the box. I went to the website and entered the number on the card. Here is my gift.

sr3mq0o56xho.jpeg

We are having an Arts Festival online this morning. I have looked over the vendors and it seems interesting. Need to fit that in without missing church.

Barbie, I have been reading many articles on air quality along the West Coast. Take good care of yourself. My friend near Portland says the air quality is so bad they have to stay indoors for the most part. Especially yesterday afternoon according to her. She is dancing and playing with her dog indoors. I understand Jake is staying indoors but I hope your lungs stay clear and healthy.

Jackie, I am amazed that you ordered something with glass parts included and it arrived in good condition. Wonderful. I hope the assembly is going well. And the plasterer arrived on time. Looking forward to hearing more. As you have uncovered more interesting traces of the past, it must be a bit frustrating that things cannot be put back. But very interesting to have seen these things. Do you know when your house was constructed? I love following along. And to respond to your question, yes, the puzzle is Inuit art. I find the style attractive.

Bob, more great stuff in your post! Stupendous photo. Wahoo. Looking great. And thanks for the sunrise. We finally got one here. Although it started out a bit foggy today. Sorry to hear that wonderfully interesting Halloween event has been cancelled. It does sound loin lots o’ fun.

Sandy, a quiet day. Yep, sounds familiar. I didn’t speak with anyone yesterday until I went to the mailbox last night. Some neighbors were out and I spoke to the mom of the family who is doing a job as elementary school librarian half time. Sounds quite difficult since she has to help with lunch duty. The kids have to stay in their room all the time, they eat their not lunch at their desk, and must be reminded to put the mask on again after eating. Odd times.

Patsy, hope you are well. And staying indoors. Thinking of you. ❤️❤️

Buzz, with so much going on, I have lost track of the storm season other than they are running out of letters in the alphabet for naming storms. I assume you are fine and the storms have been tracking elsewhere. Maybe it has been rainy there as well? Sending long distance hugs.

Hello Jeri and Diane.

All best wishes. ❤️❤️

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Ahh Lin, lovely tomatoes, well done you! We know the black variety as Black Russian... you have to wonder why the Ruskies get their name on everything dark!! That’s probably not a PC comment! My understanding is that tomatoes split when watering becomes intermittent and mine do it during rainy
    seasons so I’m guessing falling rain water isn’t sufficient. My rather tragic plants are struggling with the tiniest tomatoes but the seeds were a variety with the word tiny attached!
    htlbw2mw6lmw.jpeg

Is that a key ring you won? How smart and certainly appropriate. 😁

The plasterer duly arrived and was very honest about what’s required. Basically the outside of the damp wall needs sand blasting then a sealant before painting and he works on a basis of a wall drying out an inch a month. Mine are 18” thick so easy to work the maths out! 😳🥴. I’m sure he’s telling the truth because he said it would be easy to agree to plaster the wall, take the money and walk away but he doesn’t work that way. Back to the drawing board while I continue to live in a mess! Looking at it as a positive, vacuuming and dusting isn’t nearly so important at the moment. 😜

Finished my first cuppa of the afternoon so will do some gentle gardening then finish the tv stand this evening. It is almost complete.

Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Options
    PS. Lin, my cottage was constructed in the 1840’s I would say because it wasn’t here for our 1841 census but family including wife who I take to be ghost Violet, were settled in by 1851.
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Very impressed with your tomatoes Lin!
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) The sun is shining, what a beautiful day!! I have a zoom call with family after the football game ( I am in a pool with bad numbers) will ride my bike and then go see Joe. Funny how the sun can change your mood and bring happiness into our lives.

Jackie, I forgot about Violet, is she complaining with all the changes you are doing?? I am amazed a service man came on a Sunday. So are you saying you have to wait 18 months before plastering the walls? Will that make it really cold in the winter?? Couldn't you just insulate and drywall? I know nothing about walls so just curious??

Lin, cute key ring especially since you are the puzzle wizard. Your crops look good to me even though I am not a big tomato fan. Did you find anything interesting at the Festival???

Anne, I do agree that Harry is just being rude. I hope you can figure out a way to block him from your view and still enjoy something beautiful as those flowers.

Barbie, please be careful with the smoke situation, what a horrible time adding to the pandemic. So sorry.

Buzz, I too, am glad to read your are walking daily. It would be great if you got back into your own apartment again but please don't rush in doing so.

Bob, beautiful sunrise, thanks for sharing. I know you mentioned it but how long have you and Jean been married? My anniversary is tomorrow, if we weren't separated for 8 years it would be 29 years and the 13 before we got married would make it 42. Oh well, life goes on and we make the best of what God's plan is for us.

I better get my shower done if I want to look decent in a video call. lol Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    A mostly cloudy day with a couple showers. It reminded me of the quote: “... millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Managed to get into an online discussion with a family member about Netflix film 'Cuties' – I think the film is inappropriate for a host of reasons.

Did my workout and then we went to the Lenox Outlet store in Destiny USA; going out-of-business with “no hold-backs” with most items 60/70 % off. Picked up items for the family Christmas “steal-a-gift”, a First Communion etc. I’m still apprehensive about Destiny USA opening “Sip Sip Hooray” this month with over 1,000 choices of wine and liquor…its not like there have never been attacks, suicides, fights, knives, small gangs etc. – There are times we avoid it.

Speaking of avoidance – yes, I am avoiding photo editing – just not in the mood. LOL

Jackie – I might have to check out that Adele documentary. I was surprised she rec’d so much backlash after losing a 100 pounds…it seems some people take it as a “body acceptance” betrayal of sorts. I just love her singing and if the weight loss makes her happy and healthy then I say “kudos Adele.”

I copied the section of your post about the “ham” as a reminder to play around a bit – again, Jean would likely side with the viewers that thought the “work” wasn’t worth all the effort…where I (like you stated) get pleasure from the preparation. And finally – yes, I lose myself in everything photography – when I am doing it for “fun” vs. “a job.” In addition to creating things, I enjoy the occasion photo restoration. Here is Jean at communion and a few others.

xox70cpmj5j2.jpg

ncev7zzx9cwx.jpg

Lin - I am pretty sure you would have liked a lot of the decorative china that was selling like hot cakes. Glad you are getting some sunshine. Love the tomatoes… sad to say our “red” tomatoes are all gone… all that is left are green ones…I suppose I will find a stewing or low carb recipe to use a few up. As for the sunrise – some people think if you have seen one sunrise/sunset you have seen them all – not my thinking at all. The Halloween event will be missed. We have the usual “package” ready for the grandkids (tee-shirts, nominal fun things, trick-or-treat bags etc. – but don’t think there will be much trick or treating this year.

Sandy – Gotta love a sunrise. Jean and I will be married 23 years in just a few weeks. Jean and I met in our mid-40’s. Jean’s 1st marriage and my second. I was only 18 the 1st time… (when I look at relatives 17-18 I realize just how young I was) it was a complex time - graduating high school, mother dying and many other things. The long and short of it is – at this stage of life, we all get along, celebrate holidays, school events etc. and the grandchildren love us all. As you said “God’s plan.”

Have a great Sunday evening! Bob
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello! The latest news is that conditions are better here concerning the wildfires. People currently under level one are told that we are no longer under that designation. We are to stay alert for changes. The air is too awful to breathe. It is so smoky! We quickly let Katie out for her “business” trips and she dashes back inside. We are doing okay. My knee is less painful. I fell last week and crinked it. What time to be limping around!

We are watching old TV series and let me say, the choices are few and far between. I am back to my project and while it may take all my time, in this lifetime, so what? I am enjoying the whole process. Learning new things and how to do it is life affirming. I am not very good with technology but I am fearless.

Anne: make no mistake about it, your neighbor is thoughtless and has no sense of others rights. I have known people like that. They simply do not see anyone else. You can’t really get even with him. You are way too above him. You are considerate and thoughtful. Concepts that are not present in his world.

Jackie: your remodeling efforts are amazing and beautiful. It seems like there should be a way to dry that wall faster but I must tell you....there are almost no walls here in the US that is 18 inches thick. A 6 inch wall is normal here.

Sandy: football used to be John’s favorite thing on Sunday. He became disillusioned by NFL. He misses it, to be sure.

Anne: dear lady, there you are planting interesting shrubs. Are those the kind with long sharp stickers hidden among reddish foliage?

Lin: ohhhhhhh lovely tomatoes! Love them every possible way. Out of my hand like an Apple. Dad used to pick all his green tomatoes and wrap them in newspaper. He put them in a cool spot in the basement and they actually ripened. I wonder if I remember right on that...it was a long time ago.

Hello to everyone, Bob, Barbie, Diane, dearest Buzz....stay safe. We need you all.
    Patsy☘️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Patsy, a news reporter earlier today echoed your words about difficulty breathing but being cooler due to no sunshine which is making the job of firefighters a bit easier so I did hope he was not too far from you. Not over by a long way but hopefully less dangerous. It’s good you have your project to concentrate on and I bet you are showing that computer programme who’s boss!
    Old cottages like mine were built with granite stone from local quarries, some pieces huge, designed to be cool in the summer and retain heat in the winter. It works! I’m hoping once the outside is sealed it won’t take that long to dry out, just have to be patient.

Sandy, I could insulate and dry wall but that wouldn’t solve the damp problem, just hide it but don’t worry, my log burner throws out lots of heat so I won’t be cold. The asbestos wall lining that’s been removed was hiding the damp issue and the plasterer said today that when the work is finally finished it will be a lovely cottage. I’m going to tidy the mess as best I can, make the rooms cosy and do my best to ignore the rather interesting decor and live surrounded by crumbling plaster which drops bits off when I least expect it.😳 No comments from Violet so I assume she’s pleased to see her old walls uncovered!

What you’ve achieved with those photos is amazing Bob and the patience to fill every little scratch or faded area is certainly not something I’d have. Congratulations on another bargain shopping trip.
    Here’s a link to information about the Adele documentary.
    https://tveveryday.com/adele-in-her-own-words-12-september-2020-1292020-saturday-channel-5/
    A few years ago she would have got a lot of abuse from music executives about being overweight in spite of her talent but thank goodness such pressure is now considered unhealthy. The programme gives a little insight into why she lost the weight she did which was her decision and no one else’s.

Can’t wait to hear if Anne managed to visit the garden centre to buy a prickly Berberis which is a shrub hiding a vicious nature behind its beauty and attractiveness to bees and butterflies. The birds will love its Winter berries and you will enjoy the excitement as Harry gets a bit too close with his boat!

Time for bed.
    Jackie
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hello All, just where does time go. We did get out camping for 5 days. Just so much fun. Let me tell you that we live about 50 minutes away from such a fun and beautiful place. One day we also went into Banff park which is so beautiful as well and about 30 minutes to where we were camping.

One day a good friend came out for lunch and we took her out for a great walk .. cameras in hand. Another day Melanie came out with baby Andrew and 4 year old Maggie. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

It is late so I won’t send individual messages but Buzz so nice you are doing better and Patsy like the others I was worried about you. Jackie every time my check up for cancer follow up comes along i am anxious too. But then it is over until the next one and I can forget about it again.

Here are just a couple of photos and one of me

6fs3lagprh5w.jpeg
    vnmllygpvzpd.jpeg
    s95s09o8ydvw.jpeg

Nite all

Jeri

• fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    26exu68vwzyi.jpeg

Melanie with Maggie and Andrew

Jeri
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Hello everybody. I am being an old misery because I've done something to my right hip and to put it bluntly it hurts like hell. Too bad to hobble over to the window to wave to the Stetson hatted Harry. Maybe I'm being punished for naughty thoughts! However, when its light enough will try to photograph from my room with a view.

Anyway, JERI, beautiful countryside (aren't we blessed) beautiful mom and children and a very trim and beautiful Jeri!

I think Violet will be very pleased with your efforts JACKIE! I would use the waiting time to forget about housework. What a marvellous excuse. No, alas I didn't get to a garden centre, but I'm determined to obtain a berberis! They are beautiful despite thorns! Harry is a hunting, fishing type of guy but I wonder if the boat is actually his and he's renting out half his front for winter storage.

PATSY! Dear Patsy a true pioneer, dauntless despite a bad knee! We are told the smoke will eventually reach Ontario! We had a couple of fires up north, but haven't heard much lately so suspect they were put out by the torrential rain from BUZZ's hurricane. Anyway, very relieved you three are home and safe and sincerely hope you stay that way!

The talented Mr BOB!! I have quite a few Victorian/Edwardian era photos of long gone and never met ancestors and wish I had your talent. For instance, my Scottish great grandmama in a black dress and I can see a bit of me in her. You are not alone in marrying the first time too young! I'm so glad you met Jean along life's path.

Well, I should try and crawl off the sofa and remove one small hot furry body from my side. IF I do any housework it will take all day I think. I don't have to cook though. Leftovers from Sundays effort.

Cheers everybody and will be thinking of Jackie tomorrow.

Hi SANDY and BARBIE and LIN.
    Annie. 😳🐶❤️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    A beautiful warm and sunny day. Out early for our walk that took us along a shady path towards the Granite stone quarry. Buzzards flying overhead but otherwise peaceful.
    a8s9fb8hq2xy.jpeg
    3lg30c36uy8l.jpeg
    We bumped into a friend I’ve not seen since lockdown so we had a catch up until we realised the car park was filling and she hadn’t yet walked so agreed to try to meet for a socially distanced walk very soon.

I’ve phoned yet another business, this one carries out sand blasting, and I’ll wait to see what sort of cost it will be to blast my back wall and allow it to breath and dry out. Another Paul so that’s 3 I’m dealing with... this could get confusing!

Only a banana for breakfast and crispbread, Edam and an apple for lunch plus copious cups of black coffee and will now attempt to paint undercoat on a fascia board.

Breathtaking photos Jeri and don’t you look fantastic with your steady weight loss! A perfect place for a camping holiday!

Hello to everyone else. Continue to stay safe Patsy and do let us know how a visit to your apartment goes Buzz.

Happy Monday.
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    edited September 2020
    Options
    As promised on post above JACKIE. My new room with a view to rival Jackie's, lol. The wife's car is missing so you will have to imagine it beyond Harry's. You can just see a twig left from the lilac to the bottom left. Anne.
    xca1t49xvz9f.jpg

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    I have only a teapot photo to offer this morning.

“Nineteenth century Limoges, France”

qvblx383rojj.jpeg

❤️❤️
    Lin
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    427818su42xtrsvb.gif
    I am nearly finished with another blanket for Project Linus
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    A partly sunny / cool breezy morning (low 60’s) with 40 degree night. Summer is over OK – I might be a bit ahead of schedule… All set with my Monday lunch Chicken Breast stuffed spaghetti squash with broccoli and cheddar cheese, Romaine Salad, balsamic spray, tomato, cucumber, tomato, celery and radish.

o0q0i9m6ey7v.jpg

Grandchildren started back to school, but on rotating sched of only 2 days in-class etc. Feel bad for all children and their parents going through so much upheaval. Can only hope for a better 2021.

vo2v0yopi7ts.jpg

Patsy – That’s great news on the wildfires and designation change. Hopefully that nasty smoke will slowly dissipate… such a horrible smell. As for old TV series, sometimes those are better than the new. I miss the old days when a series season was longer with shorter breaks. Heck, I actually watched an old Columbo episode last night. LOL

Jeri – You are looking GREAT! Love the photos and pic of you with camera in hand. Truly a beautiful surrounding. Ps – the kids are adorable….

Annie – Sorry about the right hip pain… pretty sure it wasn’t the “naughty thoughts.” LOL I am fortunate with regards to Jean. It was so much easier later in life. I had 2 main pre-requisites - -a sense of humor and someone who volunteered. I would never last with a negative person and volunteering merely told me the person wouldn’t be completely self-absorbed and cared about others.

Jackie – First Jeri’s pics and then yours – love the buzzard overhead (did I really say that?)

Oh well… can’t avoid editing photos any more … so bye for now. Bob
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    My volunteering days are over,,,,,I think! I used to cook "Meals on Wheels" for the elderly, but I guess it will be my turn now to receive eventually. Then I used to man the desk at the Senior Centre. Impossible now because although I enjoyed the interactions the over 60 group exploded and new premises had to be found and I really am no longer reliable to get there on time, even if I could find a bus in the first place. It was fun the time spent teaching Sunday School at the local corner church, but at the same time a little expensive having to dig into ones pension to buy paper and crayons etc.
    Happy memories so enjoy Bob and Jean.

I'm back in my angelic phase. After all Harry has no idea that his actions can upset others. So, once the creaky back eases I will plant a mallow bush sapling on my side in the same spot as the lilac. I've loads growing in the garden waiting to be weeded so might as well plant one. And they grow very quickly. Mark wants me to wait for the Berberis until spring. Anyway, if I'm still around will get to look at the birds and the bees again in about two years.
    a0m71l6yrvhz.jpg

Anne 😇🐶❤️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    And there was me about to suggest a competition involving inconsiderate neighbours! 😜. Don’t you believe it Anne, some are born to be thoughtless and they know it. Not the most attractive view for you and I can smell that motor from here but a mallow will look a whole lot better then the Berberis can finish the job. Mallows don’t survive winter in my garden so I assume our species is less tolerant than a Canadian variety.
    My neighbours always park opposite my gate even though their door is the far end of their property. I liked to watch the horses in the fields but no more.
    84z6jnn7g9cn.jpeg
    Never mind, as granny used to say, far worse things happen at sea!!

Another blanket Barbie, that’s brilliant.

That tea service is ornate Lin and yet quite attractive.

This will sound like the first line of a kid’s joke Bob but how do you stuff spaghetti squash? Another beautifully creative meal.
    I’m sure our buzzards are much smaller than those in North America so tend to live on mice and bunnies rather than dogs and cats!

Just had a call back from a second sand blaster who sounds more positive and interested than the first so since he is currently working on Lundy Island which is off the coast I’ll happily wait for his return.

Cup of tea time!
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Okay! JACKIE. A competition it is, lol. How about one Christmas and my turn to cook the bird for Christmas dinner. I look out the window and there's a strange car on my drive when I'm expecting my families cars. Out I go and see my neighbours. "Who can have left a car on my drive" I innocently ask."Oh, We know you won't mind" they say, "seeing you don't have a car, but Mom and Dad have come to stay for three days, and with the truck, the wife's car, and the two daughters cars, we can't get any more on our lawn and drive, and we aren't supposed to park on the street without a permit". Mind you maybe you win that one because you have to look at the van permanently whilst mine was only for three days, IF they'd remained.
    I win the nauseating spilt gasoline smell though before Mark and Derek got the a/c out and shut the window.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) Cool but sunny day. Not much going on same as any other day. One of these days I am going to be tempted to try and ride the bike in my garage. I used to love to bike ride in my younger days but now a little afraid of falling.

Jackie, sad when neighbors can't get along but you are right in just letting it go. Too many other problems in this world to let the little things bother us. You have such a beautiful country with places to walk that are amazing.

Anne, I love the flower that you are going to plant, does it grow high? As you can tell I know nothing about flowers or plants. When in the house I only planted annuals. Is Harry friendly to you or is it his nature to be a grumpy old man??

Bob, cute picture of the grandkids masks and all. My grandson is home being taught remotely with his mom as his teacher. She is a preschool special ed teacher so she knows what she is doing but her son doesn't like to cooperate so much. I also did some volunteering in my younger days which was always a wonderful feeling. Many great events for children with disabilities.

Barbie, good for you on the blanket, you are a special lady.

Jeri, you do indeed look wonderful, slim and healthy. You daughter and grandchildren are just beautiful. I am glad you had a good time and stayed safe. The pictures are beautiful.

Patsy, I am glad things are getting better but still be careful with the air outside. I am not a big football watcher just to see the scores and if I win on my pool. lol It seems whenever I watch my hometown team the Bears, they lose when I watch. They were being creamed when I shut the TV off and when I checked the final score they won. Proves my point. lol Of course I know I have no control over the silly game but it makes for a laugh.

Lin, pretty tea set, what's on your agenda today??

Buzz, hello, hope your day is wonderful.

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time