Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Another beautiful day although it was misty first thing. I went early to the supermarket and apart from the usual fresh salad and veggies I’ve stocked up on things like pasta, rice, olive oil and tinned tuna and mackerel. I can always throw a meal together with those few items should we get locked down again. Our 2nd wave has started for sure and we’ve gone from a couple of hundred new infections to thousands a day which seems to have surprised our politicians because it wasn’t supposed to return until next month... tell that to the virus!

On our walk across the moors we bumped into a couple I often see with their Labrador who told me the production crowd yesterday were working on the start of a new drama for Sky, one of our tv networks. They arrived in the car park later than me and were apparently told they couldn’t park where they intended which is naughty because it’s a council run public area. They said they managed to squeeze in another spot but were miffed. The crew for Doc Martin sometimes films around here and they are all charming and just slot in between us dog walkers so I’m already thinking I’m not going to like this new drama!!

Goodness Lin, your card making task is industrial scale and I’m so impressed.
    I meant to tell you that when I unpacked my new tv stand with 2 glass shelves I was impressed by its packaging. Solid cardboard box within a box, lots of polystyrene blocks around the edges and layered between the glass as well as rigid plastic corners protecting the contents. It wasn’t particularly expensive and think it was made somewhere in Europe although not Ikea. It’s gone together easily and is solid and heavy but is now sitting in my lounge getting in my way. Serves me right for trying to plan ahead!

Hooray for even the smallest amount of rain Patsy and I know you and John will continue to stay alert.
    My not so nice neighbours, the ones with the green van, used to throw unwanted items into a pile on their drive so every time the wind blew I would find myself collecting rubbish that always seemed to head in my direction on our normal south westerlies. They did at some point ask an elderly gent neighbour with only one leg if he could collect it all in his trailer and deliver it to the local tip. He declined!

Anne, it must be a dreadful worry for the Aussies that went through last summer’s fires that destroyed so much wildlife and homes. They should be looking forward to their summer not dreading it.
    I can’t remember if I mentioned the bubble me and my neighbours had created to help each other out during lockdown, although that was more from their side, has now been burst because one is a teacher. My decision to keep my distance but they do understand.
    We all got through the first wave with our common sense and humour intact and I’m sure we can do the same again.

Just spent an hour clearing dust, rubble and old wooden battens from one corner of my dining room and now one hip complaining so as it’s gone 4pm I shall make another cuppa and ease myself on to my swing seat and read my book.

Happy Wednesday. Gosh, halfway through another week!
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Forgot to show you my favourite purchase this morning
    52ptah273j7c.jpeg

I’ll enjoy looking at it sitting on my window sill through the Winter months then plant out in a shady spot next Spring 👩🏼‍🌾
    Jackie
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Very busy morning. Gym at 5am…grocery shopping, banking, mall walk before open, picked up McDonalds for Jean, prepared my own lunch and edited an old family photo from 1990 with all my siblings. Only 4 of us in the photo below are still earth-bound and with some living out of town there aren't a lot of times we were all together.

foeuecsm2faa.jpg

Jackie – The first thing I had to do was Google “What is a Bacon Bap?” Liked the part that said: “to make a traditional British bacon bap, you’ll cook up to four rashers of unsmoked British back bacon in a grill pan, allowing the bacon to cook in their own fat.” Yum! I wasn’t far off on the mark re: Jean’s ill relative. When I returned from my errands, Jean told me he was given the last rites. His siblings are flying to see him. I guess 1 person is allowed to visit at a time.

Patsy – On occasion, Jean eats what I do – but happily get her McDonalds or make her what she likes. She likes the way I make a tuna sandwich with finely minced onion, celery and her fav cheese. Jean is not picky --- but has changed over the years. I always loved great Italian food and now she craves meatballs etc. She is still that Irish meat/potato/veggie kind of person. Since I was the one with the “huge” weight problem…I give her what she likes (she always wants to lose a few pounds but has never been out of control like me). She hates cooking and I love it – so it works out great. We actually laugh whenever she does cook something…It’s like that old Henny Youngman joke:
    I asked my wife, "Where do you want to go for our anniversary?"
    She said, "Somewhere I have never been!"
    I told her, "How about the kitchen?"

Lin – I go to the gym 7 days a week. Walk every day and do some weights every other day trying to tighten things up and reshape a bit. Today it should hit 79-80, but tomorrow back to highs in the 60’s like yesterday.

Oh well – Jean just called so I guess I need to run.

Take care everyone! Bob

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) Back from the Auto Mechanic who said I didn't need the brake fluid or coolant recommended by Ford. He did say I will need new tires before winter even though my tires are only three years old. My son agrees with him so that will be put on my calendar.
    I am waiting for the email that says my order is ready from Walmart. They were out of three items again but I can live without them until next week. I might also go for my flu shot even though I heard we should wait until October so I might wait. What are the rest of you doing?

Bob, wow, 7 days a week is a lot of exercise besides your walking. I am happy if I get 5 days of my recumbent bike done. Now tell me if I am correct, you are third from the right and Jean is not with you.And is that your mom and dad in the middle? How did I do?

Jackie, a beautiful plant to keep you smiling through winter, lovely!! Well that production crew has a lot of nerve infringing on the local parking lot for dog walkers. Maybe you should sic George and Betty on them.

Anne, we know you don't really have a mean bone in your body, you are too sweet. I am also sorry about your cousin in Australia, I do hope they can enjoy their summer this year.

Lin, I love the card also, but I love funny cards. Babe did call and leave me a voice message when I was babysitting and apologized for not calling on our day. He had called in the morning and I was rather cold to him and told him I was hurt. He said he forgot and I asked when he got my card and it was on our day which you would think would remind him. He was very sincere in his apology although I haven't talked to him in person today since he called when I was getting my oil changed.

So there was a notice on our garages yesterday when I left for sitting. They said to clear everything off our balconies and keep all windows closed because they were going to power wash our building. So last night when I got home I cleared everything because they said they would be here as early as 8am. They said not to put car in garage and away from the building.
    I parked in Joe's driveway and now in a vacant guest spot. Still waiting for them to show up.
    Grocery order is ready, talk to you tomorrow.

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Oh my! Still smoky but not quite as bad. I feel like a smoked ham or sausage. Let me tell you, everyone looks like we have been to a sad movie. Everyone is walking around with red weepy eyes. My mascara was streaking down my cheeks under my mask. Now that is a very unattractive sight.

Today is Costco day for John. We try to keep our supplies replenished so we don’t feel any need to do a big huge shopping trip. We shop every other week. Sending John shopping is interesting. Being the organized guy that he is, he writes his list according to where it is located in the store. Who does that? Anyway, he gets it done and doesn’t bring home anything naughty. If I were along, I can’t say I would follow his good example.

Bob: family photos are such fun. I have tons of them. John has his own big photo project. He is scanning everything and putting together CDs on various groups etc. this concept is scary to me. I would never be able to be that disciplined. It is taking him ages to do this.

Lin: funny cards are so wonderful. I have kept some I have received years and years ago. Of course I seem to keep all cards, really.

Sandy: car repairs and maintenance drives my crazy. I always feel insecure when talking to the mechanics. They speak in another language.

Anne: my love, you are one of those wonderful neighbors who make an effort to keep their areas neat and tidy. Living next to a thoughtless person is extra confounding but when it impacts you quality of life, it is no wonder you feel upset. Plant those thorny vines like in the movie of Snow White.

Buzz: dearest friend, I am worried for you now. Did that awful storm come your way? These natural disasters make all our other little worries seem like child’s play. Stay safe and let us know how you are. What can we do to help? Do you need anything? Chocolate covered strawberries might be hard to find but if you need them, we will conduct a search.

Diane: how are you doing? I think of you all the time and know how terrifying these wildfires are.

The day is getting ahead of me. Veggie burgers and hummus with bell pepper strips for dipping for dinner. Ice water with blackberries floating on top. Sounds odd but is tastes super to me.
    Patsy☘️
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    PATSY, as I look at our smoky grey sky I'm thinking Patsy is floating up there. Well your breath anyway. Confession coming up, John isn't alone, that's how I shop my lists. Even when I order from Grocery Gateway. It does stop me looking at naughty things I might fancy otherwise!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    Good evening. Another day gone! Lots of veggies cleaned (and some consumed). I spent the rest of the day working on cards. Total for the week: 10 Snarky cards, 13 Halloween cards, 6 Birthday card (fronts), 20 cards fronts which will now likely be for Thanksgiving with more stamping and work on the inside of each card, and 6 Fall cards with 4 addressed to be mailed tomorrow. I need more general Fall cards for the next few weeks. And that is the state of affairs in my amateur card factory. 😂🤣😂

Patsy, when I make a list for the health food store, that is how I approach it, pretty much the same as John. By department from entrance to checkout. All the other online orders, it doesn’t matter. I hope John gets all your supplies. That you make progress on your projects and that Katie is happy.

Sandy, good thing you are able to get a second opinion on car service. I would likely have done whatever was indicated by the mileage on the vehicle. That is always more cautious as well as costly. Happy tire shopping. I hope you find a deal. I am glad that Babe at least did make an attempt to talk to you. Lots of folks are confused about what day of the week it is. He could have had that problem. I don’t know.

Bob, lovely family photo and I see some resemblance among a number of the people on the photo. Now are you going to let us know who is who? Busy day every day in your world, especially with going to the gym 7 days a week. You are a dedicated guy. I use to spend all my time cooking. Now I am lots more like Jean. I am good with a package of vegetables or a bowl of lettuce. The most time I spend on something to munch lately is when I want a nice big salad and I chop up lots of things. One thing I do not care for these days is radishes. Won’t find one in my house. But then I always have sprouts now. Eating up onion sprouts right now and growing broccoli sprouts. At least those do not have to be delivered or chopped up.

Jackie, love your new plant. It is blooming nicely and looks quite healthy. I ordered potting soil today for delivery. Getting started early for next year. ☺️ Your description of the packing of your stand sounds ultra good. No wonder the glass arrived unscathed. Speaking of stocking up, I looked over my bean selection today. I have lots of dried beans to cook this winter but would like to have a few cans of already cooked beans and other than garbanzo beans and one can of black eyed peas, I don’t seem to have my favorite black beans or pinto beans. I plan to order some of those. I only purchase organic unsalted beans so it may be a hunt. And the hunt continues for other items. Finding the yogurt I like which is basically a 2 ingredient product—organic unsweetened almond yogurt, is becoming a pipe dream. There is none. Same with organic unsweetened and unsalted peanut butter (ingredients: peanuts). Will do my best, always has to be Gluten Free as well. I am picky.

Anne, I hope your neighbor behaves. He would drive me around the bend. Do you think behaving is possible for him? I hope tomorrow your back will not cause you such incredible pain. 🤞🏻🤞🏻 Are you having seasonable weather? We are having ok weather but tomorrow we may have more haze from smoke moving in from the west. I have been meaning to ask how your potato plants are coming along. Are the tops dying back? I have just one plant and it went in late so it still blooms once in a while I don’t think I will be seeing any spuds. How are your sons getting along? Are you upping your grocery orders to weekly now? Ok, no more questions.

I have a lot of bills to pay. They sure pile up quickly. Maybe in the morning. Don’t feel like it now but must get my insurance payment in the post tomorrow.

Hello Barbie, Diane, Jeri and Buzz. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

All best wishes.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
  • linder4866
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Good morning, a hazy and a bit chillier than yesterday. Here’s a morning teapot for your examination. 😃

“Wood & Sons earthenware, 6 cup octagonal teapot decorated with Frederick Rhead's 'Alva' design. The date range is between 1922 and 1939.”

ahc8w8ytk4fo.jpeg

❤️❤️
    Lin
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Typed the longest post with photos as I sat outside eating lunch but whoosh, my iPhone ran out of juice so I lost the lot! 😩
    Now on my iPad as the phone charges but see I’ve only 8% power left on this so will return when everything is charged, I’ve carried out some chores and my crossness has dissipated! No one to blame but myself. 😤
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Good morning Sneakers. I have a conundrum. I have decided my bad back is connected to both my mattresses, main bedroom and guest bedroom. So I've been looking up the cost of a decent mattress. Wow, they can be expensive! Meanwhile the vet has sent me an email that the Bean is due for a complete check up and shots. Us pet lovers know that vet bills and new mattresses are about equal in cost. The pain of my hip and leg was such that poor Jilly Bean didn't get her morning walks.

Now, I have, or so it seems, one bushy tailed, bright eyed, very loud, full of fun, eating well, healthy small dog as opposed to one very dodgy back. So........
    Does the Bean get subjected to pokes and prods, the indignity of having her poop examined, needles, mouth prised open to examine very white teeth, or..........
    Does Anne get a new mattress and thus pain free - the Bean gets long walks again!

I suppose in the end both will win because I love my back AND the Bean. And as we all know, we can't take our cash with us, not even the all powerful.

LIN, the potatoes have been a memory for a month now. Not as big a yield as the previous year because of lack of rain. I did water. Yes, I am putting in a weekly order these days just in case I get shut out again if another lockdown occurs. Numbers are rising at an alarming rate here, mainly the under forties and the partying young. Our Ontario premier is threatening shut down and huge fines for the miscreants. One young man has been fined $10,000 for having over 150 people at hs party.

Between vet bills and mattresses I won't be having the local seniors over for a carefree night of chucking the walkers aside to do the tango etc.

Well that's me for now,
    Love to all
    Anne and the vocal Bean. 🙃🐶❤️🍷

Hi JACKIE, you beat me to it again. Sorry about your lost post though.
    My crossness dissipated as well, I love all today! Yes even the little love next door!

• linder4866
    Options
    Back again, steam coming from my ears. I tried a little grocery order and took the time to specify any acceptable substitutions. Well it arrived and supposedly only 2 items unavailable. But 5, count them, 5 incorrect items. The receipt says I got my specified items but I certainly did not. I put in one if the automated problems with an order.

Apparently the best I can hope for is a credit to my InstaCart account, not to the charge card I use for my orders. Can you see my displeasure?

I put a note out on the neighborhood group offering up the unusable items. I am sure there will be no takers.

Growl. ☹️

Anne, you need to get a new mattress for yourself so that Jilly can have her Anne able to take good care of her. The vet can be put off for a while maybe?

Jackie, sorry for the lost post. I hope we will hear some of your news when you are recharged. 🙃

I am off to get something to drink and back to carding. 😂🤣😂

Lin
  • pinkperil
    Options
    I finished painting the fascia board, put about 6 loads of timber taken off my walls into the back of my garage for kindling once cut and chopped then got my electric strimmer out and worked my way along the communal path. that word communal? We are supposed to share the maintenance but if I don't tidy it no one else will so I wait for the day I'm too old and decrepit to see who bothers!

Anne, a decent mattress is one of the most important pieces of furniture to my mind because if you either can't get a good night sleep or wake up in pain it's not good for physical or mental health. When I couldn't get George in to the vet for his check and boosters back in April's lockdown I was told my the practice nurse that it was fine to wait 15 months and in fact it was longer than that before they agreed to see him so when it suits they don't put pressure on. As far as I can tell from what you've said in the past, Jilly doesn't mix closely with other dogs, doesn't have Betty's filty habits and doesn't have an opportunity to eat wildlife so she should be fine.
    It really is worth paying for a decent mattress rather than cheap and I would suggest one of your boys takes you to a store to test their firmness.
    I don't know if you've heard of Louis Theroux who makes documentaries on a variety of subjects; well he is currently going back over old stories, one of which was about addiction and he showed some of the original interviews then contacted those people to see how they are now getting on. Some very heartwarming stories, especially for a few addicted to prescribed opiates who are now off the drug. When it came to gambling he went to Las Vegas and followed a Canadian from Toronto spending tens of thousands of dollars a night at the tables and it turned out he had a big mattress business in Canada. When he tried to find him for an update the only lead was to an Uber driver with same name and photo so you can imagine I thought of the wonderful house near to you that is up for sale.... perhaps his wife the mattress lady?

Lin, surely your consumer rights allow you a refund on the items you didn't order rather than credit? They could be doing that to customers dozens of times a day and making lots of profit!! I would make a fuss to get my money back but that's me!

Time to eat again!! A cod fishcake with salad and coleslaw then I'm all ready for tomorrow's weigh in. I'll try to pop back to revisit my original post but can't promise because I must water everything outside and I'm already pooped!

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Was smelling that was burning and realized it was the water I had boiling to make hummingbird food. The empty pan smelled awful, so see Anne you are not alone.
    They finally came about 4:00 pm yesterday to do power wash our building, including my balcony. Lots of paint chips all over and railing in need of painting which should be the next project if their notices are correct. The new floor boards should be put in this month as well.
    We will see if this all happens before the snow comes.

Lin, I am sorry about the steam coming from your ears. Online shopping can be very frustrating. Most of the time I don't allow substitutions because it is never close to what I ordered. I would just notify my credit card company to give me a refund on the wrong items.
    Nice of you to offer the wrong items, you might be able to drop them at a food pantry near you.

Anne, maybe you should think about going to the doctor for that sore back. Or perhaps you could get a foam topper for on your mattress to see if that helps. Jilly needs her physical and shots so the boys might be able to help you do both. Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth. :p

Jackie, sorry about your post once again. Those internet gremlins sure mess with us. Hope to hear from you later.

Must get ready for my meeting since it is on zoom with video. Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Well Mark, he of the very bad back, showed up and agreed with me I've got sciatica. Mark is an expert on bad backs believe me. He showed up to take me to the stores to look at mattresses but I couldn't have walked around a store if I'd tried. It turns out they have a new mattress in their guest room that Mary Jo couldn't sleep on. I have a new mattress in my guest room I couldn't sleep on. So.....we are thinking of doing a swap. My mattress in their guest room, their mattress in my bedroom with my old culprit in my guest room. If this works I will save quite a bit but it all depends if Mike can borrow a van from his workplace.

Mark took one look at an excited Jilly Bean bouncing up and down and grinning at him and wondered why I would need a vet to tell me she's very healthy. This is turning into a day of saving lots of cash! Our vet is extremely expensive, more so than the Toronto vets, but me not having a car I'm forced to use him.
    The vet fits in with Oakville though which again has been voted the richest town in Canada because of all the millionaires cluttering up the lake front.

This does not apply to me and Harry!

The rich have a calendar out for charity of the best looking dogs of Oakville. I've not submitted her photo because she hasn't that haughty afghan hound look and she's far too small to wear my Marks and Spencer fake pearls. Jilly and I are birds of a feather I guess!
    And here's a photo to prove she's no lady. I bet the queens corgis don't sleep like this!
    l61k3adx32oc.jpg

Just taken two Advil so I'll join her in the nap department.
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon sneakers. Another smoky hazy day but there was a shower early this morning. Again, good news for upping the humidity for the firefighters. Cooler temp as well. I wonder when we will come out the other side of these troubles. I know that in the grand design of life, there will always be a hill to climb or a river to forge. In so saying, this year I think we have more than our share of challenges.

Anne: just an idea on Jilly’s vet visit...we often tell our vet clinic when we make appointments, we only want Katie’s booster shots this visit. We will make an appointment later for the physical. It seems no matter what, the vets want yearly health checks and we understand. But the costs are extreme and I feel they are mainly rather perfunctory. I am not sure they could really identify issues any quicker than we can because we live with the little darlings. I love looking at advice from Dr. Andrew Jones on youtube. He is a Canadian holistic vet.

Jackie: I love documentaries and DIY programs on TV. However, John is not inclined to enjoy those programs. So I do have my own TV in the dungeon. Which is mainly tuned into PBS programs. We have had many movies made here in our town. After the film companies leave, there are many tales of ruthless disregard for personal property and privacy. Yet we seem to giddily invite film companies coming to the area. $$$$$$$$$$

Sandy: you are right to not expect a timely completion to the maintenance on your condo. I am not sure why but when it comes to construction companies, the rule is, it never starts on time, it takes twice as long as they say, and it costs twice as much and it never looks as good as it should. That’s my experience and everyone I know who has had home maintenance. Do I sound disgruntled? I wish we had some of the tradesmen that Jackie uses.

Looking into getting an air purifier....our air is full of smoke, dust, pollen, mold spores. Do any of you have one? Good idea? Not useful?
    Patsy☘️

• linder4866
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Good morning. A chilly morning here. Last evening was hazy and smelled like smoke. Smoke from the fires on the West Coast we are told. It seems unimaginable that we would receive smoke thousands of miles away that even smells of smoke. How overwhelming it must be on site. It made me think of all of our friends who live in California, Oregon and Washington. Be safe Patsy and Barbie. I watched a friend’s video last night as she works to train her dog indoors. Life is different, a few weeks ago her training video was outdoors.

Well, I am off to pickup lawn waste compost bags this morning I hope. I have a pickup order and included a few other things so I was eligible for free curbside pickup. 🤞🏻 that the bags will be available. You never know these days. I will try a curbside pickup at one of the hardware stores if this doesn’t work. It should be an adventure as the roads are under construction and I have no idea how I will get to that store but I know they are open so there is a way. ☺️

Here is a morning teapot that is definitely representative of the 1970’s. Not elegant, not beautiful but definitely the color of the time.

“Hornsea pottery lasted just over half a century from its founding in the seaside Yorkshire town of Hornsea in 1949 to its demise in 2000. Hornsea added a second factory in Lancaster, Lancashire in 1974.”

6gsed7carwgj.jpeg

Waving 🙋🏼‍♀️

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    Buzz and Barbie

dx3gvrfjsq6c.jpeg

❤️❤️
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Hornsea LIN where my forbears lived and are buried. Actually my great grandfather and five of his sons worked there before it became a pottery and manufactured hand made bricks instead. Three of his boys were killed in the Great War. My grandfather survived because he was lame in one leg and therefore couldn't enlist and the fifth son was too young. Great Aunt Nell his daughter was lovely but I didn't know great Aunt Louise who emigrated to Canada as a young woman. My grandmother also came from just outside Hornsea and her dad ran the post office. Sadly two of her sisters drowned in Hornsea Mere (lake) skating in their teens. Great Aunt Sarah her other sister was a lovely lady. Anyway my dad was born in Hornsea and so I know the town well AND the pottery! Loads of history, originally settled by the Vikings and I better shut up because I could ramble on forever. Oh except to say I last went there 11 years ago on my last visit to the UK and sadly the pottery had gone but great grandads house still exists.
    I've got quite a lot of Hornsea pottery, but mine is more Celtic design and much prettier.
    Thanks for stirring up happy memories of a small town I would like to have lived in..
    Anne. 🙃🐶❤️
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    This is my Hornsea pottery breakfast porridge bowl. Named "Heirloom" and bought in the late 60s when we had no idea we would end up in Canada. Anne.
    4qn97rzwh93w.jpg
  • linder4866
    Options
    Well Anne, that is amazing that one teapot brought forth such interesting stories and family history. I am amazed and will read over your post again. Wonderful! And yes your bowl is much more attractive.

What pulled me to the teapot, other than the creamy brown, without a shining glaze, was the absolute smoothness of the piece, the scale, the size and shape of the handle and it of course put my mind to reminiscing about the ‘70s.

Fantastic my friend.

Lin