Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,877 Member
    Here I am Sandy! I’m having more problems with my broadband again and also MFP that seems to whirl for an age before letting me in. I will type and hopefully be allowed to post.
    Yesterday was another very hot day which meant an early walk on the moors with George and Betty before gentle gardening. I ran into David up there and gave him a small bag of my homegrown potatoes but I have so few tomatoes I will be keeping them! I bought more paint on the way home so will hopefully finish covering the walls of the snug over the weekend.
    More clouds about today so slightly cooler which was ideal when I met Linda for morning coffee and cake at a garden centre. We sat for a couple of hours, mostly talking about some awful events taking place in our communities. More cheerful was our wander through the dozens of plants for sale, especially when we got to the bargains! I came home with 3 more plants needing a home. I’ve fed them so am sure they will sit up overnight.
    I missed a call from Les but he left a message asking me to phone and sadly his sister passed away last week. I met her a couple of times earlier in the year when she stayed with Les and it was apparent she wasn’t well so she moved into a local care home. Apparently she died in her sleep, which is a comfort for Les but still a shock. I will try to take George and Betty to visit him next week, before the funeral which will be in London. That’s a major journey so I do hope he will be alright.
    We had a drop of rain this evening that barely watered anything so that will be a job for me before bedtime! Fresher air should also help Betty breath as she sleeps tonight because her pug design made her struggle and pant this past week.

Have a fun evening Sandy. I never thought the day would come when I’d struggle to sleep after a late meal but know exactly what you mean!

Lin, that’s good news after a thorough eye test. It sounds like the Eye Infirmary I took Sheila to recently with all the different departments. Super efficient! I love your retro coffee maker. 😁

I’m watching a variety of events at the Olympics but just took delivery of a new rechargeable battery run floor mop so might have to unpack tonight to charge up and have a play before bed!

Take care.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,262 Member
    edited August 3
    Happy Saturday! :) Our girls night out went well and actually slept well even with a late dinner.
    I am trying to get to pool early as Lisa is bringing kids here around 2 so they can spend the night. She said they didn't want to go to pool so I will go for a couple of hours to say happy birthday to one of my pool friends. I am hoping to take the kids to Mass so wish me luck.

Have a good day all.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,354 Member
    edited August 3
    Hi! ‘‘Tis the season for agricultural seminars. I received a link to one of this year’s offerings and it is really long! I was going to take my time to work through them but this year the length of time to access the videos is shorter. So, I need to finish them today and if anything isn’t clear, I can still repeat something tomorrow. I don’t know why they are taking them away. It must cost more to leave them on the hosting site.

Sandy, glad you had a good time last evening and got a good night’s sleep. 🤞🏻🤞🏻 with taking the kids to Mass and all the other activities you have planned.

Jackie, you and Linda always find the most interesting things! The poor plants on sale are lucky you adopt them. 😄 I have watched a few more Olympic events, some bicycle road racing, a bit of women’s Rugby (which was totally new to me) and the equestrian event won by Great Britain.

Well, I had better tackle some of the remaining video and check on the quinoa I am cooking.

Be safe everyone.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

7bbwswla85k9.jpeg

• jacAth3
    Hello! Sheila phoned me at 7.30am to ask if I would be walking on the moors because she was going stir crazy being home so much and we agreed to meet up an hour later. We had a small rain shower in the night so it was cooler so George and Betty were happy to run about while we strolled for over an hour. Her back is holding out after the injection a couple of months ago so it did her good! Just as I was about to get back in my car I saw George’s groomer Debbie with her husband and a dog they are currently fostering for a charity that takes in pets from domestic violence situations. Lola is a Dog de Bordeaux and incredibly friendly so even George didn’t grumble at her!
    The rest of my day was spent painting more walls and watching some Olympics, mostly swimming and Athletics. I hope to finish painting tomorrow so that I can concentrate on my garden.

Take care.
    Jackie 🥰
  • jacAth3
    edited August 4
    Cooler today so off to the moors I went with George and Betty. George was in one of his stubborn moods so kept ignoring my calls and disappearing into dense bracken until I decided it would be best to clip his lead on his collar! We only stayed half an hour by which time the sun was shining and temperature rising so I’ve ignored painting and instead spent a few hours outside weeding and potting on recently acquired plants. Linda dropped in halfway through the day with fresh Kohlrabi leaves for the hens and we shared a pot of coffee before she went home.
    I’ve missed today’s Olympic events but know I can catch up tomorrow when highlights are shown.
    It might rain in the morning which will encourage me to carry out well needed housework and will also phone Les to arrange a convenient time to see him, hopefully with George and Betty.

Time for bed.
    Jackie 😴
  • linder4866
    edited August 4
    Hello. I did go to online church this morning, did lots of cardio and worked on fiddly stuff relating to my updated credit card. I have it authorized with Amazon and PayPal again

I spent many hours trying to get a VSP account and failed over and over. (That’s for vision benefits.) I also could not get any information on how to use my benefit with Costco’s optical department. I will just have to trot out there and see if someone can help me.

Well, I wonder if the fence folks will show up here tomorrow. I guess I will find out then.

Jackie, I watched a bit of the Olympics this morning but then dropped out as I got busy with other tasks. Maybe I can catch up on a few things tomorrow. We may get a bit of rain tomorrow morning too.

Sandy, did the kids behave well last evening?

Be safe everyone.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

kco4097xsgok.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    Happy Sunday! 😀 I have had no internet or TV since yesterday afternoon when Ron dropped off the kids. We went to Church and yes they were well behaved. Then to Mc donald and then to park. Still no TV so we played a game. It wasn’t horrible but wasn’t the best since we wanted to watch a movie. This morning was a little hectic until their meds kicked in. Lisa came and we all went to AlAnon picnic. It was fun but hot! Time to relax and watch some TV. When I got home gr picnic everything was working.

Hope you had a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,128 Member
    Jake is in the hospital. His defibrillator fired about 9 PM Friday. I called 911 and four hunky guys showed up and did an EKG and talked to him then loaded him into the ambulance and took him to the ER at our local hospital about 15 miles away. I couldn't go because of the dogs. By midnight they had decided to keep him and send him to the bigger hospital about 60 miles away where his cardiologist is. I drove over early in the morning with Annie in the back seat and delivered some clothes and necessities and his phone charger. It wasn't until 9 PM on Saturday that they finally transported him to the other hospital. They had given him a special med IV at the direction of his cardiologist and monitored him well but he was in the ER the whole time. Now he is at the other hospital in a lovely room and has had an echocardiogram and some other tests and visits from the hospital cardio doctors. I am good at turning all the big stuff over to higher power but I was a bit concerned about how he would get home and trusted that an answer would show up when I needed it. Jake called both of his kids and talked them down from driving up here immediately. They both called me and I said take it one day at a time. While I was walking Annie yesterday afternoon, our across the street neighbor pulled up next to us in his car and asked how Jake was (he had seen the ambulance from his front window the night before). The conversation ended with him saying that he was available to drive over and pick Jake up when it was time for him to come home. This morning my Sunday walking friend said that she could drive over and pick Jake up and then later my next door neighbor who had seen the ambulance stopped me to ask if there was anything she could do and I told her that I had someone to pick Jake up at the hospital but if that fell through, that's the help I needed and she said she'd could easily do that for me. Jake sounds good on the phone and will see the cardiologist tomorrow and have more information. I am keeping busy with the dogs who are understandably missing their dad. I can't leave Annie in the house alone so she goes everywhere with me. There is one neighbor who loves Annie and Annie loves her and she offered to walk Annie for me when they first met, so I called her and asked her if she could come over and stay with the dogs tomorrow when I have a dental cleaning appointment and Tuesday when I have my annual visit to the dermatologist. She was happy to do that but she said, that she might want to keep Annie after spending so much time with her.

<3 Barbie
  • Sandydur
    edited August 5
    Barbie, so sorry Jake is in the hospital.what an ordeal you must be going through. I do hope th cardiologist has good news for him. Glad you have neighbors to help you.

I came home from picnic and my internet and TV were working again so I cancelled appointment for today especially since they changed it to between 1-3 and I have an eye appointment at 3:40. I woke up this morning and no internet. I am so frustrated. Now they say it is an outage in my area. I am going to shop around for new service because I hate Comcast and their high prices.

Th picnic was great, very hot but great. The kids had so much fun as did the adults who ran the games, including me.

Thank goodness for cell phones so I can at least connect to my sites from my data.

Have a good day all.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited August 6
    Good evening. Another hectic day here. No way to explain it all.

Barbie, I hope Jake is doing well and will be able to come home soon. It is wonderful that you have so many people willing to help out. ❤️❤️ Thinking of you my friend. Be a good dog Annie.

Sandy, I am glad you had a good time at the picnic. Also sorry you are having problems with your Comcast service. It is frustrating isn’t it.

Jackie, did you catch up on the Olympics? I did not. Darn.

Anne, I hope you and Jilly are happy.

Take care everyone.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

vk61qf9aorca.jpeg

• jacAth3
    Good morning! The promised rain arrived yesterday but I managed to walk George and Betty when it paused mid morning. Our usual local stroll that holds little interest for either of them but we did meet Lin with her rescue black Labrador Pip. He thought it a good idea to lunge at George in a playful way but Mr Grumpy was having none of it so we stood talking for a while in the hope they will get accustomed to each other.

Lots of housework achieved, plus some research into an acrylic painting I brought home from Canada over 40 years ago by a young artist, originally from Finland. He was taking his finished art work around office buildings and business’s reception areas to raise funds towards his travels and when I took it off the wall yesterday so I could finish decorating, I noticed for the first time his name, ESA Nieminen, and a number written on the back of the canvas. Not really believing I would find him, I did a Google search and there he is with his own website and a bit of history! It all corresponds with my meeting him and chatting in the mid 70’s. I chose one of a winter scene in north Ontario where I used to go with my partner John which is probably why I’ve kept it. I’ve cleaned it gently with an Eco spray so it’s looking as bright as the day I purchased it.

Lin, I didn’t catch up with Sunday’s Olympics but yesterday did see Britain loose their women’s hockey match, athletics and rather exciting kayaking. Anything to avoid news of social unrest in our towns and cities!

Sandy, I know from my recent experiences with the internet how annoying it is to loose it. I am going to look into how to stay online without using our expensive broadband because I heard a conversation the other day when someone was saying it’s possible. So long as it isn’t illegal!

Barbie, it does sound as if you have plenty of support while Jake remains in hospital. Our pets are family so must be a main priority and I have similar conversations with Sheila where she says she may not return George and Betty when she dog sits! I do hope your lives get back to normal very soon.

I think we are due a warm and sunny day so I will get on with a few gardening chores before picking up paint pot and brushes. We’ve been on the moors so both dogs are happy to snooze.

Happy Tuesday.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Not so happy morning!! Once again my internet is out and can’t get a technician to come until tomorrow afternoon. I am so frustrated with Comcast!! We were going to Santa’s Village tomorrow but Lisa said we should reschedule so I can get my internet fixed. We will go Saturday instead.

Too hard typing on my phone so I will just say have a better day than me!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,128 Member
    :) Jake is home. We are doing the happy dance.
  • linder4866
    Barbie!!! Wahoo! So happy Jake is home. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Sandy, darn unreliable providers. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I hope they can fix it.

Another day of the fence company guys knocking on my back door many times asking questions. I wonder how I got my original fence when I was not home for a moment of the installation.

And on it goes again tomorrow, if it doesn’t rain.

Be safe everyone. Wishing much happiness all around.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

hqpy2rvhcrem.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    edited August 7
    Still not happy Wednesday! 😣 Still no Internet or TV but they are coming this afternoon between 3-5 to hopefully fix the problem. I went to Walmart yesterday to get new glasses. The prescription was messed up so I paid to have a new exam. Hopefully the new glasses will be better than the old but will see.
    Picking up a prescription from CVS today but other than that just waiting for Comcast.

Glad to hear Jake is home and life can get back to normal.

Hope all is well with Jackie and Lin. I haven’t sent Anne any posts so will write an email to explain.

Have a good day,
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Hello, the fence is finished! And the pile of extra dirt has been removed. Wahoo!! I am so happy. Here are a couple of photos.

q8laxjbphffi.jpeg
    7wzztch9ctf5.jpeg

I have been working to get my reward points from my new credit card authorized for Amazon shopping. I just succeeded.

I hope everyone has had a safe day.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

mx17gjbokfuh.jpeg

• Sandydur
    Happy Thursday! :) Running late, will try to get back later.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    Rained all day so I continued decorating, moving furniture and tidying the mess I created! Nothing else to report.

Wow Lin, now that is solid fencing!

Take care.
    Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    Hello friends. Busy today trying to pay for my fence. I was waiting all afternoon for the owner of the company to pick up a check……received a text late in the afternoon saying he will stop over tomorrow between 11 am and noon. Gosh, I wish I could just send a check. I hope he shows up tomorrow.

We had a bit of rain this morning but the temperatures only got to the mid 70’s F today. Pretty nice.

Jackie, tidying the mess you made is a great accomplishment. The 6’ privacy fence is the most common fence in this suburb. I am used to it. When the old fence was all taken down, I felt exposed!

Sandy, hello.

Take care everyone.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

za7snepurhn5.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    edited August 9
    Happy Friday! :) It is a beautiful day and I am trying to get to the pool. Laundry is going and I fed my friends cat and just trying to catch up on computer.
    I posted this on Facebook yesterday:
    Continuing on the saga of Comcast I had quite a day. I went to the store to try and get a credit and they said they are still working on the lines and to wait until they are finished before asking for a credit. I then told my associate that I wanted to change my package to 300Mpbs for Internet and wanted to get rid of my landline and reduce my TV package as I now found Pluto TV which is free has the game shows I like. My basic package has the normal channels as well as PBS which I watch and I think the History Channel that Laurie Litvin likes to watch when here. Christian quoted me a price of $135 down from$188. I jumped at it and came home only to find an email that said my package would be $180. I drove back to the store to complain and said I want my original package back but Christian said the $135 was correct and printed out the contract. I have 60 days to cancel with no penalty so will wait for my first bill although the next bill will be prorated. Last chance for Comcast before I switch to Wow Internet.

Today my new package has started so I no longer have a landline and I cut down on a lot of channels that I didn't watch. I still have PBS and the history channel so I am fine.
    I watch mostly network channels and have most of the streaming services, a lot through my kids. I have 60 days to decide if I like it and if indeed they quoted me the right price.

I still haven't had time to send Anne our posts but hopefully things will get back to normal soon.

Love your new fence Lin.

Have a good day,
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time