Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    A funny old day weatherwise with one minute drizzle the next warm sunshine. Certainly going to make the grass grow which, with everything else exploding in all directions, is a job I could do without! We walked in the local woods under the canopy of leaves and the dogs rushed to the river as soon as we were close enough to see it, Scruff to chase sticks and George his favourite search for stones which is not easy when the riverbed is covered! My neighbour just popped in to let me know they are back from their canal boat holiday so we had a good catch up and I'm now going to have light lunch and get outside to face that plant explosion.... where to start?

Anne ~ You'll be lost without Jilly Bean I'm sure but suppose it's a good idea for her to get used to other surroundings. The first time I left George with a sitter I worried so much about him and they had 2 dogs of their own but he was fine, it was me that struggled to cope!

Lin ~ A jigsaw puzzle was often on my table for me to stop and search for the right piece but right now I think Kitkat would have the whole thing on the floor in minutes! It is one of the most relaxing pastimes I have to admit.

Patsy ~ These doggy best friends certainly do determine how we live our lives and whatever mess or noise I have to endure I don't know what I'd do without George. Katie has you both wrapped around her paws but you know that and so what?? My tv was on yesterday as those Olympic cyclists hurtled around those rough roads with no time to enjoy the stunning scenery. Some nasty accidents too and I was surprised any of them stood up after such tumbles. It's the girls today and I imagine they'll be a little more careful on those sharp bends!

Anne ~ Bath day for Jilly Bean and I imagine she'll love it. As you know, George gets a warm shower to remove the smell of whatever he's rolled in although when we returned from our woodland walk this morning he was unceremoniously popped into the outdoor paddling pool, now full from Monday's hefty showers, so I could wash his legs and tummy that were covered in composting leaves, twigs and general muck! He doesn't mind at all, in fact rather enjoys it.

Buzz ~ Browsing shops has never been my idea of fun; in with my list, grab what I want and out again, no hanging around!! So good to read Mike still enjoys good food and company which probably takes his mind off day to day frustrations, at least for a while.

Must get on because the sun is shining! Enjoy your Sundays everyone.

Jackie

• Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    We've just been for our long walk around the block and I wish it was the Yorkshire moors and dales. Never mind, it's a beautiful morning with low humidity. The young couple and 2 little girls from across the road have just arrived home after a month in Cambridge and the Lake District. Darren's mom is English and Kate's dad is English, all the grands now living in the UK. They couldn't believe the heat on Friday on their return. Could you live in England I asked, oh yes they said, we are giving it some thought, but housing is SO expensive. They were born here, the little family, so maybe it's a case of "the grass is greener" however they loved the cool nights and pleasant days and GREEN grass, so the grass IS greener across the pond, lol. I think hay is an acquired taste especially with no poppies, buttercups and daisies to brighten it up!

I wonder if Michael will chicken out when it comes to bathing Miss Jilly, will let you know! She doesn't smell quite so doggie today with the decaying mud smell fading. Or maybe it's just me smelling better! I had a lovely bath with my Crabtree and Evelyn rose scented bath oil and soap.
    Have a lovely Sunday sneakers wherever you live on this beautiful planet,
    Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Phone woke me at 8 this morning; my gals were dressed and ready to drive to the airport. As they were walking away, DD said, "Oh, I settled everything at the desk this morning", and when I protested, she reminded me they still have income while we are using savings! I must say I felt both awful and relieved at the same time! It was so wonderful to be able to hug them and catch up with their lives.
    I'm still sitting here in my nightie, having gotten all the forms and papers finally made out for the DMV to say goodbye to us as car owners. I hate legalese, don't you? I couldn't just give my GD the car, I think I had to sell it to her for $1.00 so the tax wouldn't be on her shoulders! Anyway, I'll go visit Mike now,(after dressing) and see what he'd like to have for his lunch. I was so happy with his pleasure last night at our little family dinner!
    <3 Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Happy Sunday! :) Lost my post so trying again. Going to a Schaumburg Boomers Baseball Game with my friend Jen and an English couple. The Boomers are a professional independent team in our local area. We will get something to eat after the game so it should be a fun afternoon.

Went to see Babe and Daisy after Church yesterday. Daisy gets so excited and jumps on me and today I will probably have the bruises to prove how much she loves me. She doesn't realize she is over 90 pounds and has nails on those big paws. lol

Tomorrow I am taking my brother to lunch for his 83rd birthday. I don't see him enough but he doesn't drive and doesn't like to go out much. He has the wet macular degeneration but has had it for too long for them to help him. His daughter will join us so we should have a good time.

Tuesday I am taking Babe to the hospital for a scope of his stomach. I personally think he has a hiatal hernia but as always he thinks the worst. He didn't want his son to take him and asked if I would so I said yes.

Time to jump in the shower, have a great day!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Jackie, something on Facebook. Might be useless, or funny or not. Mentions a chicken whisperer!! Free webinar
    https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1750542733930503171
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Thanks Phoebe, I've registered after running through your 52 states and however many Canadian provinces to end up living in "Other" LOL I've never joined an online seminar before but if I'm home when it's on I'll take a look, especially if there are hints on chicken whispering!!

Anne ~ Your neighbours were visiting one of the most expensive areas for housing due mainly to the astounding scenery so just like Cornwall, any affordable housing is snapped up by the uber-rich as 2nd homes!

Did lots of pruning in the past couple of hours, came in for a cuppa and am now going to use a path clearing chemical to weed around the back of the property and that after lots of hand weeding. Hate using such things but no other way to keep the area tidy. Then it's a lamb burger, home grown salad potatoes and a mixed salad.
    Jackie
  • Jacean2016
    Just letting you all know the news you can't live without, lol. Miss Jilly had her bath, which she enjoyed ! And now smells like a little flower.
    Anne
    Delivered in Alabama. Heading home for tires. However, after one short traffic jam, Jim decides to ditch the freeway for the back roads and definitely the scenic route. Having trouble seeing this route in my mind, i use Google driving map to see the big picture. Wish I hadn't. We are backtracking by who knows how many miles to follow this scenic route. When time is important, I have shown Jim the map of his chosen roads. Not this time. We'll be there when we get there, I'm not driving, and a nap too!!
    Sunday drive!
    Phoebe
    Jackie, had to Google it, there really is a chicken whisperer!
    http://www.chickenwhisperer.com/
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited August 2016
    Here is a picture of Isaac and grandma after our Safari Niagara day and back at our house.

avobdq5jjm9m.jpg

Shirley
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    Delightful photo Shirley. <3

He is so cute but then so are you!!

Lin
    Shirley, Issac is so grown up! Beautiful eyes. You have a great tan by the way. Love this photo
  • Jacean2016
    Beautiful Isaac, beautiful grandma.
    Anne
  • Sandydur
    Love! Love! Love! The picture of Shirley and Isaac! Grandkids are just wonderful!
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    A wonderful photo of a charming grandmother and her beautiful grandson. These are precious moments, these grand baby years. You are doing it right! Enjoying every stage of his growth.
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Happy Monday! :) My brother hurt his leg so instead of going out for lunch we will bring lunch to him. The baseball game was fun and the home team won on the last pitch so that was exciting. Such a busy week again, not sure how people who work have time to do all that needs to be done.

Enjoy your day!!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Sandy - I agree after retiring I am so busy and wonder what I did when I was working. Now that Dave is retired we are so busy but it will tone down after the summer.
    Phoebe - My tan came from all the boating and cottaging this summer. Lots of outside fun.

Thanks for the wonderful comments on our picture. I love that little guy and he got his long eye lashes from his mom.

Kristina and John came for visit yesterday and stayed for lunch. John (Argentina) has his student visa activated now and he is ready for school starting school September 6th. He will be taking a 2 year course for RMT massage therapy.

I am finally getting some things done around the house. Dave has been helping me water my neighbor's
    flowers and plants while they are on vacation. This morning was my hair cut day and then picked up some groceries. After reading The Mayo Clinic Diet I find much more money is involved beside the book. I am still reading to get some ideas but I went back to the South Beach meal plans which is relatively the same but I will be adding more vegetables and fruit throughout the day. Vegetables at least 4 per day and Fruit 3 per day, Fats 3 per day, Protein/dairy 3 per day, Carbohydrates 4 per day.
    These are the food groups according to this diet.

I am making some omelette Fluffins today and my homemade salad dressing.
    Dave is picking up my bike today after having some adjustments made and I will get a ride in later today as it is another hot one today and will be the next few days. The peaches are in season now and he will pick up a basket of peaches also.

Enjoy your day!!

Shirley

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Since our two old English sheepdogs passed away we were very nervous about a new pet. Katie has been so much work for us but she is a real tonic! Now after much discussion and research and multiple chats with the vet as well as information that he provided, Katie goes in to be spayed tomorrow morning. We always had our dogs spayed and but now I feel so hesitant it. I guess it is because we know how heartbreaking it would be to have something happen to her.

I would be a real pest if I had a grandbaby. I would be wanting to see them all the time. Sandy and Shirley you certainly have beautiful grand children. Enjoy and continue to share the photos. They are quite wonderful.

Showers and cloudy today. That's fine, I need to clean out fridge and mop the kitchen. Must carve out regular time in the dungeon now. I have to complete a series before the holidays. Lots of work on this. I will finish up the earth collage to include in them. I have let this experiment linger too long and have some technical problems to overcome.

Have a happy day, dear sneakers.
    Patsy
    Slept in today. Treated myself to dinner out. Then groceries. Jim wanted potato soup and biscuits.
    Now I'm watching 'The Magic of Ordinary Days' on hallmark. I love this movie.
    Marie, hope you're still doing well.
    Phoebe
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    SHIRLEY, Isaac is adorable and I love the way you are wearing your hair! Great photo...
    PHOEBE, being a navigator was not much fun when you know better than a driver who has his own ideas! well just relax and enjoy!
    PATSY, I kind of like rainy days, though I don't use them the way you do any longer. I like to see the pictures in the clouds. And watch lightening if it's on the horizon!
    SANDY, so sorry about your brother (and BABE, too) and I'm sure he appreciated the visit from you immensely.
    LIN, I hope you don't mind that I printed some of your color work to show to the art therapist in Mike's area. I think it would be great for some of the residents up there to get involved in coloring instead of sitting in front of TVs all day! I've heard it's very therapeutic.
    JACKIE, when it comes to large areas that require cleanup, I agree with your solution! I'd love to see more of your grounds. Are they typical English gardens or more practical?
    ANNE, I can just smell Jilly after he bath! WHen I was grooming poodles, Avon had little jars of cream perfume I kept around, and after shampooing the darlings and grooming them, I would rub a drop of that cream on my hands and lightly run it over their backs and behind their ears. Customers told me it lasted a long time and they loved it! But even just fresh shampoo is delicious on pups that love to roll in all sorts of things! Does she behave well during her bath?
    Big day tomorrow as I have a problem with Humana regarding whether Mike is now in long term care or still covered by them! The question has never come up before, and he has no long term care insurance! Ouch! Never a dull moment. I called them to find out why they haven't been covering his oxygen charges ($62 per day) and they informed me skilled nursing facilities are long term care!!!
    I hope I'll make it back tomorrow...
    <3 Buzz