Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for the birthday wishes, you can tell I've said goodbye to the housework today, I keep appearing here!
    However, that is about to change. Jilly needs a walk, and my family are about to show up. We have 3 days of "Indian summer" and then all will change and Jilly in her orange coat, and me in my red parka will be a sight for sore eyes.
    Thank YOU guys. I've had a wonderful 2 .5 years so far with you all, and I've learnt a tremendous lot! You've all enhanced my life.
    Anne
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Yea! Hooray! The weather forecast has downgraded the storm forecast to strong winds and heavy rains. I think we can easily deal with that. Gusts to 65 but not sustained winds! Thankfully some of the power of the storm blew out to sea. Ships are still lined up along Astoria waterfront. Not sure about the Columbis bar status. Yesterday was too weird. A tornado tore up a sweet little beach town down the road from us. It dropped right down on the Main Street and just went down main tearing up all the cute little shops.

So ...soup perking along on the stove. We had several birds banging on the window. That always disturbs me. Wild birds need to be outdoors. I guess we need to put up some bird houses. John is planning a construction project this winter in preparation. Remember that Alfred Hitchcock movie? "The birds" We do have a huge flock of noisy crows. A huge one sits on the gate and watches us have coffee.

I am so relieved that we will not have to deal with a hurricane. I am a wimp. I will try to do whatever I can to keep home and hearth safe. But it does scare me. We went through a really big event about 7 or 8 years ago. I don't think I am over it yet!

Again! Happy birthday to our Anne. In truth, you are a pretty lady and your little friend is darling. But then, you already knew that.
    Patsy, wet and windy but okay!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Doing laundry, then packing and then to Church. Not much time for posting as I fooled around on my computer all morning playing games. Love the new profile picture Anne, such a beautiful smile deserves to be shared. And of course without saying we love seeing Jilly.
    Patsy, glad the weather calmed down. I texted my son and he lost power for a few minutes but it came back. Lots of rain and wind but at least not a hurricane. I can only handle one per family in one year.
    Have a great day and weekend. I will be leaving tomorrow morning and returning Tuesday night. Behave yourselves and stay out of trouble.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Anne
    zd71p1ds57xa.jpg

I've loved getting to know you special lady and hope you thoroughly enjoy your day.
    <3 Jackie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Jake and Anne!! Many more wonderful years to come.

Barbie - I see the stitches are out, now the mending begins. Feel better soon!

I didn't get to everyone's posts, too many to read but browsed through a few.

We had a wonderful trip to New York City and taking the train was the way to go. Very relaxing!
    This time of year was perfect for touring and walking.

We covered a lot of territory: Times Square-show tickets, Hounds Tooth Pub- saw Annie Golden from
    Orange is the New Black, Rickshaw ride through Central Park and lunch at Tavern On the Green, Ferry ride to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, double-decker ride all around Manhatten, Battery Park, Top of the Rock and finally shopping at Macey's which is 9 floors high. We didn't get to Ground Zero which will be the next time.

Tavern on the Green - Central Park
    odyc0eqe2li4.jpg

Shirley
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Marie, hope you are doing well
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Wow, you had a wonderful time in New York SHIRLEY! Thanks for the birthday wishes.
    And thank you as well fellow Brit and once Canadian JACKIE. Love the card. I've Loved getting to know YOU as well.
    I wish I could save or print the greetings and cards. It's such a shame that soon they will be in a past section. At least the old fashioned postal way we could keep the lovely, (well) keepsakes, but then we all would never have met and seen how the other half of us lives!
    I'm so glad you and yours are okay PATSY and whilst it's not exactly a "storm in a teacup" much downgraded.
    You too BUZZ and Mike.
    These weather patterns are becoming increasingly frightening. In the past we would watch on the tv or listen to the radio, but now, with internet friends it becomes much more intimate and close to home as we realize people we now know are actually experiencing these sometimes awful conditions. Helpless too, not being able to help. People often 'knock" all this new knowledge but I think it's a good thing for the human race to now be more in touch with each other and walk in each other's shoes.
    Golly I must be boring you all silly. Put it down to yet another mile on the clock!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,133 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Good afternoon

Busy day. Made a trip to Trader Joe's. A busy Saturday morning there. Home to put things away and then a trip to the library to pick up another haul of books on hold. I returned the Joanne Fluke book (a very quick read) and am now starting "Crepe Factor" by Laura Childs. The rest of the day has been cooking, cleaning vegetables, paying bills and starting to clean out newspapers and stuff from my magazine rack. I have things lined up for church tomorrow, steps and flights of stairs taken care of for the day. And there's a stack of things to tackle next week.

Love all the photos. More please!!

Shirley, glad you are home and had such a great time.

Sandy, see you Tuesday.

Jackie and Patsy, hope you are both okay.

Marie, where are you?? Hope we hear from you soon.

Going to read, color and watch TV tonight.

Lin

g9olp5vadpbp.jpg

Fronts of the 3 cards we made last night.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :) Brandy's walking friends (two women and a dog) came to the house for a visit this morning. She had already met up with them on her walk....she was ecstatic. She has missed them so much since Jake has been walking her because he doesn't get up early enough.

:) So far the storm hasn't been too big here. It has been windy and rainy and a lot of branches landed on our roof and deck this afternoon, but no damage, just messy.

:) Another day in a nightgown, jacket, and lap blanket, walking in 5 minute segments in the house. A line dance friend called and then stopped by to drop off homemade carrot soup and apple pie--a perfect meal to eat after our three hour afternoon nap.

<3 Barbie from beautiful stormy NW Washington t110011.gif
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Dear ANNE, not all at one sitting!
    ag17fnrhtlps.png
    My bad, ANNE, but after all, on a birthday, we can misbehave a trifle! Love your picture!
    JACKIE, I guess I don't get it, as I was not enamoured of LC's video, but thank you for introducing me! I guess Perry Como, Frank Sinatra (took me awhile!) and the Beatles are still amongst my faves! There were others, but my faded memory seems gone altogether tonight!
    Great posts today, but I'm still shaken by our after-dinner scenario ---Mike left the table for the men's room after we ate in the main dining room, while I joined some friends for chatting. After too long, I decided to check and opened the door to the men's room and called in and heard a muffled answer. Since no one else was there, I went in and heard him say "Help me find the way out". I saw the handicapped door was open though perhaps half hidden by another open stall door and as I approached, I could see fear and something else on his face as he steered his wheelchair into the door frame. I suggested he come through the door instead of going into the frame, and he said, "I can't see it"! So from my chair, I navigated his chair through the doors and out, where he said he could see a little better! I learned later that when he runs out of oxygen, as he had, his eyesight can be as affected as his thinking! He'll have to use the old tanks instead of his new oxygen concentrator as it does not appear to be charging properly. How frightening for both of us!
    I hope that storm stays far from all of you in the northwest, and you be safe from its effects!
    PHOEBE, SANDY, BARBIE, SHIRLEY, PATSY, LIN, DIANE, NANCELA, CHRIS, MARIE, please know that you are all in my foggy thoughts, but I'm falling asleep, which gets dangerous!
    OOPS, did I wish JAKE a HAPPY BIRTHDAY?
    <3 Buzz

• Jacean2016
    Options
    Dear BUZZ, thank you so much for the greetings and for thinking of me when you have so much on your mind and so much worry to contend with. Poor Mike. The only good news appears to be that you both are in a safe place. My thoughts, (and thoughts aren't much help) are always with you and my two old friends here who are both in nursing homes and having lost their partners don't have a loving person like you to keep an eye on them. God bless you and Mike during this difficult time and keep you safe.
    JAKE, did I forget to wish my fellow Libra (and BARBIE) belated birthday wishes for a pain free and happy new year? I suspect I did, so better late than never.
    I must say I thoroughly enjoyed my birthday, a glorious warm, warm autumn day with the trees turning gold and red and the flowers, - honeysuckle, geraniums, snapdragons etc - in full bloom. Lots of neighbours to chat to before winter drives us indoors, and my little family showing up. Purrrrrrrfect as Brady would say, JACKIE.
    Hope you all have an equally glorious Sunday, all you Sneaker friends,
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    edited October 2016
    Options
    A chilly start for our walk but once we got to the top of the moors the sun was out and we soon warmed up. There were quite a few Sunday morning dog walkers with a variety of pooches so we took a little longer than normal to get round. A pot of coffee is now on the go while I plan my day, starting with cleaning out the henhouse..... don't I lead an exciting life!

Barbie ~ Sounds like you were both safe and cosy as the wind took those branches off. Great friends popping in too, what more could you want?

Anne ~ Love the recent photo and I'm now convinced you've a mirror in the attic!! Your "little rat" is adorable!

Patsy ~ Thank goodness you weren't all blown away and I hope you're far enough from the coast not to get swamped by floods. We'll have to send Scruff across the pond to train Katie in the art of chasing crows! Of course they tease her and fly low over her head as Scruff becomes a dot on the horizon, barking all the way! When she finally runs back the crows follow discreetly and land on one of the Hurlers rocks before enticing her to chase again. We do laugh at these antics while George watches on in disbelief, never tempted to follow!!

Lin ~ A busy time for you too; I think it's an Autumn thing when like little squirrels we feel the need to tidy and store before Winter! Lovely cards.

Shirley ~ Goodness, didn't you both pack a lot in to your NY visit! I've not been to that city for over 40 years but doubt much of its atmosphere has changed. Welcome home!

Phoebe ~ Are you home safe?

Buzz ~ I think LC is like Marmite, you love him or hate him!! Mike's oxygen does seem to be giving you both more problems than it should and I can imagine just how frightening that must have been. Is the concentrator something you can get checked over because temporary or not you don't want him to go through those side affects again? Not much help but you know I'm thinking of you. <3

I'm planning an early lunch is in order before henhouse duties and possible pruning.
    Enjoy your Sunday.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Off to church now in the heavy fog---but it is getting better bit by bit.

Buzz, that concentrator does not sound as if it is working right. HOW FRIGHTENING! I am sorry for your troubles. Mike is so incredibly fortunate to have you looking out for his best interests.

Jackie, happy pruning!

Anne, happy Sunday to you. I think you should just have a week long birthday celebration!

Hugs. <3

Lin
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Ooh LIN what a lovely idea, but so much to catch up on alas! Anne
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Buzz How frightening for both you and Mike. It seems he needs help to go to the washroom too.
    My thoughts are with you and Mike.
    Barbie That was quite a storm you had I am glad you didn't get any damage to your house.
    Lin Your cards are very different and clever.
    Anne Love your new picture and your beautiful smile. Jilly is so cute, what an insult that man gave you. I would love to hear what you said back. LOL

Tired today and doing some laundry. We did have our last party of the sailing season last night , Tom Turkey, which is a full turkey dinner, always good. We left early and didn't stay for the band still tired from the trip.

Shirley

Lady Liberty
    aw06t4i81f9y.jpg

Options
    I think Marie had problems with her computers, was going to see if Alice could fix it.
    Not home until tomorrow !
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Today his concentrator seemed to be charging properly and lunch/brunch went just fine until he backed up his chair forgetting I was behind him to unplug his oxygen and gashed my shin! Will life ever become normal again? Fortunately, the nurse was there in seconds with all kinds of equipment, and my pants were made of something that did not absorb blood, so all's well again! Loved reading your posts, but too tired to comment so perhaps tomorrow after I take him for flu shots, I will get back here!
    <3 Buzz
  • linder4866
    Options
    Buzz, I am glad the concentrator is working better now.

Patsy, where are you?

It will be hot here today. Unusual for October. Air conditioning is chugging away.

Lots of errands to run today.

Hugs.

Lin
    Options
    Marie is struggling with computer woes, trying to get onto MFP.(from Facebook)
  • pinkperil
    Options
    A mad house here. Swimming with friends first thing followed by lunch and a visit to housebound neighbour between showers but when I then finished a few chores in the garden I noticed George's paws and face covered in mud as he sniffed around the pond. Being so filthy he had to go into the shower and is now racing around the cottage excitedly chasing anything that moves which includes me and Brady although Boris isn't taking much notice!

Finishing a cup of tea and then going to walk a mucky dog on the moors since he only had a short stroll around the village earlier. Blue skies at the moment and I'll just have to risk more showers as we walk.

Buzz ~ That shin is going to be sore so take things steady. It seems Mike's short term memory isn't what it used to be so another concern for you. On the radio Neil Diamond is singing "Hello Again" and I'm wishing I could call you up to say just that!

Cuppa finished so on to the next job.... that walk.
    Jackie