Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends
    First off belated happy birthday to Anne. Sorry I missed your special day.
    Barbie, you sound like you are mending well. Resting and walking short walks are the way I mended after my back surgeries. I am hoping you heal soon.

We have been having rain every night lately and more in the next week. I am going to a quilting retreat Thursday thru Sunday with my daughter and hoping to finish lots of projects. There is no service in the mountains there so I will read posts on Monday.

Marie hope you get your computer fixed soon.
    To all of you have a wonderful week.
    Chris
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Anne - Happy Belated Birthday!
    Marcella
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thank you Marcella. Anne.
    Thank you Chris. Anne.
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    We still have a bit of the storm lingering around. Thunderstorms today and rain, of course and winds. I need to get out of the house! I am going stir-crazy. Cabin fever, as we calłed it inAlaska. I am not sure why it effects us more in bad weather.

One of the things that is so interesting is how unevenly we all age. John has always had that male thing of selective memory. He can remember enormous lists of things but then there are times when that ability just drops away. I remember people things, not machine things. I can hear just fine. John can hear amazing things relating to machines, some music, irritating puppy sounds. But I often have to repeat myself several times to get through to his brain. It is part of our amazing differences. Both of us are so clumsy. We are scary. I can see an accident like Buzz and Mike had, happening around here.

Jackie: your walks with dear little George are wonderful. Katie's exercise is more or less constant. She can go into the huge fenced area anytime and she does. She brings in muddy sticks and stones for us to deal with. The there is the morning game of ball and the evening game of tag and another ball game. She seems to have one speed...FAST! I guess this is a lab trait. And chewing! Anyone thinking of a lab or a labradoodle should be ready for a total life change.

Shirley: are like like our son with his boat? Putting it up for the winter is a really sad thing. He hates to do that and goes through a lot of indecision. Can I leave it in the water one more weekend? His crew often have social things on the boat while it stays in the slip. It serves as a sort of vacation cabin in the water.

Anne: remember life without sweet little Jilly? Thank goodness you decided to adopted your little bean.

Lin: air conditioning? That is just wrong in October and nearing November. However, ice and snow aren't all that great either. I think your various activities are very interesting. Something I should look into. Our library isn't very active in community activities.
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,146 Member
    Options
    Came home for lunch and surprise no telephone, no cable TV, no Internet. I am on a 3G tablet. Nice to read your posts but extremely difficult to reply! Facebook is next to impossible. Hope they fix this today. Off for more errands soon.

Lin
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Well Lin, I was wondering about your dodgy internet service and if it was better this year. I may have jinxed it! Many people are saying it is the drawback of leaving the traditional land line service, cable is unstable.. heehee, rhymed!!
    It's nice to read that Some people have rain. It isn't us. Our yard looks like desert. Dried crunchy brown nothing. Today is Oct 17, and we left home on Oct 1. Three trips to California. Now we are home until Nov 1. The time will fly. We will vote this week and see our dentist on Wednesday. Saturday, Oct 29 and 30, we will attend the air show that rained out last year. Everything else is just household stuff.
    Buzz, I know it must have hurt when you got bumped, but I hope you will not be in pain. You've got enough on your plate!
    Marie, I guess we'll see you sometime!
    Hi Marcella, I'm glad you popped in.
    Jackie, thanks for the Cohen video. It's my favorite song. Beautiful music, lyrics are amazing.
    And Lin, thanks to you mentioning Amazon Prime music, I have been listening to the Essential album. IMHO, he doesn't seem to be able to throw out any songs, no matter the content..but he should have, lol. I skipped several. Hmm, I don't see him as sad. His music and lyrics have a thoughtfulness missing in a lot of songs these days.
    Thank you both!
    I've had my feet up for about 30 minutes now. Time to finish putting away groceries. Beginning laundry too, I don't want to have so much to do later in the week.
    Hugs to all, pups too.
    Sandy enjoy your trip.
    Chris, be safe on your quilting holiday.
    Phoebe
  • linder4866
    Options
    No data left on my tablet. Rats. Some provider laying cable apparently damaged the feed out here. I drove by this afternoon. So many guys standing around and seemingly nothing being accomplished. So will see you when I can as it looks like a major problem.

So Phoebe a new problem!!! Faulty cable contractors!!! Growl!!

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Well, JACKIE, "Hello Again"! Did I ever mention my eldest DD many moons ago (She just turned 67) was going "steady" with a sweet young musician in Neil Diamond's band, so we knew Neil, his then wife Caroline, and sweet Caroline, his baby daughter! He may not be a great musician, but we have a soft spot for Neil! You're right about the leg, and it keeps running down through the huge bandage, so what a mess! Legs up again!
    CHRIS, have a great retreat in those mountains. Sounds very special!
    PATSY, I must have missed that you once lived in Alaska! Sounds so courageous! I agree men seem to have selective memories as well as hearing! Stupendous filters! Others tell me Mike continuously tells them he is so grateful he has me, but he has never verbalized it to me. Today, the Chaplain told him to practice saying it to me! However, his wife has the same yearning to hear it straight from her husband's mouth! His wife is really a saint, right there for everyone all the time.
    LIN, we also have "bundled" service and once our modem is out, we lose internet, phone, TV... but landlines seem to be dinosaur items where I live. I don't think they are offered at all! Hope you get your service back pronto, luv...
    PHOEBE (the poet!) ...hard to realize your area is so dry. We have some sort of rain daily. I'll have to listen to LC again. Maybe I'll hear things I missed?
    Must get through my emails quickly so I can crawl into bed early. I finally fell asleep around 6 AM this morning, and I keep dozing off in embarrassing places .
    Will try to sign off seamlessly...
    <3 Buzz
    g9y62a7x6fji.jpg
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning. TV came on last night and then Internet in and off but right now everything is ON!! Happy to be here.

Buzz, I love the graphic at the end of your post. I am so sorry your legs are worse after being bashed. I hope that never happens again.

It is Mah Jong morning. Yippee!! Then perhaps I may finish the errands I didn't get to yesterday.

Hugs to all the Sneakers.

Lin
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    We are having a warm spell here too but rain is coming tonight. I had my cortisone shot yesterday in my hand and it is some sore today. I can type after taking some Advil, but when I was grocery shopping
    it really hurt to lift the bags. My hand actually bruised at the shot sight, hopefully tomorrow is better.

Dave is at the boat draining the engine for winter and still has to put the frame up for the tarp,but its
    much too windy today to that, plus he caught a cold and is not feeling great. I hope I don't catch it because I see Isaac in 2 weeks for a 4 day visit. I can hardly wait, we skyped yesterday and he is getting so cute. He loves to dance to records so he was performing for us.

Marie - How are you doing today?

Lin - Hope you get back your internet soon. We are in the process of changing to Magic Jack from
    our original phone service from Bell Canada. We will still have hand-held phones and have taken
    all our other phones away.

I want to get my walk in before it rains.

Shirley
  • linder4866
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Not much Sneaker activity today. Excitement for me this morning---a Maj!!!!! Wahoo!! Excitement and we were down to the last 3 tiles in that game.

Finished my Monday errands on the way home and have booked a haircut for next week. Tomorrow is the last vegetable box from my CSA. I guess that really makes fall official.

Going to Qigong/Tai Chi in the morning. May stop by a new coloring session at a library on my way home. A stop at health market discount day and then home. Time to start on the stack of "things to do this week"! Haaaaa.

The TV show Miranda is leaving Acorn soon and although I have watched it all in the past it had been a long time so I decided to watch the first season again. I was quite surprised that "Gary" on that show is the actor who is currently playing the Devil on the show Lucifer. Interesting.

Take care.

Lin
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Shirley, how long does it take to get to Isaac's home? It will be a long two weeks. I imagine there are children who now Skype on a regular basis, and I never have!! That shot in your hand sounds painful. Does it hurt to type? That reminds me, I think Jeri had some problems with her hands. Hope she is OK.

Marie, we sure miss you!

Lin, I don't know what you won, but it must be a good thing so congratulations. Are you going to a different library for the new coloring class? I used to think our local library was pretty nice, it had been in a much smaller building in town and this one was built new for them. When I went to the library in another county to get a card, I was shocked at the size of it. Upstairs downstairs lots of meeting facilities. I love it there.

Buzz, hope you don't have trouble with your leg pain. I think the part where men sing your praises to everyone but you is a universal men thing! So glad you have some good hearted people there.
    Hope Sandy had a safe and fun trip.
    I've been seeing photos of snow on Facebook. Out west I think. Around Reno, or Lake Tahoe. Sigh, it will come. We are still very warm here for two more days. And just like that, it's gone. 85-90, then on Friday, a high in the 60's, low in the 40's. A whisper of rain but not a certainty.
    I took it easy today, doing laundry. My new glasses are ready, prescriptions ready, ill get them Thursday I think. Tomorrow we'll be going to the dentist. Talk to you on Thursday.
    Phoebe
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Quick Hi! Off to bed since my sleep is so erratic I get too little.
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    A quieter day today after yesterday's visit from Scruff while her mum went to the city of Truro to meet friends for lunch. A lot got crammed into one day for me because after our usual walk and then getting Scruff settled (for her that means constantly chasing whatever gets thrown for her, anything from a tennis ball to a rubber hedgehog!) I had a hair appointment in a town about 10 miles away that is currently in chaos while all main roads are closed due to a cycle route being created through the middle! Now I'm all for green projects that might help the planet but this idea is crazy because the town isn't bypassed so bikes will be competing with heavy traffic. Meanwhile I followed my nose through back streets to find a car park relatively close to the salon then walked the rest of the way. Home again for a cup of tea and then off to my first yoga class being held in the local community hall. It's not easy for me to lie on my back on a hard floor due to years of low back pain but did my best while muscles screamed at me and then after an hour did feel the benefits of all that stretching so will definitely persevere and also practice at home when I find a moment to chill.

Buzz ~ Hopefully you're still snoozing as I type. Do take care of that injury to your leg and ensure it's kept clean and covered until it heals and I suppose it's stating the obvious to say please don't take risks getting too close to Mike's chair if his driving is becoming erratic. No, you hadn't mentioned yours and your DD's association with Neil Diamond and although I agree he's not the best musician he certainly has a knack to write and produce popular music. He wasn't someone I particularly appreciated until I watched a BBC live concert of his a few years ago and recognised just how many songs of his I knew so well..... probably a bit of nostalgia taking over!!

Phoebe ~ Welcome home for what must seem to you a lovely long break even if you have to fill your days with mundane visits to optician and dentist! Delighted to re-introduce you to Cohen and agree, there are some of his songs that should have been dropped along the way. I've a double CD set of his London concert that I often have on as background music and there's definitely moments when I'm happy to switch on the hoover or pop out to feed the chooks!!

Lin ~ Is that a US Miranda or our British comedienne's show? I adore to read that you have so many hobbies and pastimes now and although it was obviously so sad for you to lose your dad I'm happier to hear about and see your magical colourings or Tai chi classes than the horrors of those dreadful winter journeys you had to make. There's a contentment about you I love!

Shirley ~ I hope your hand is feeling less uncomfortable today although imagine the bruising will take time to go since you can't easily stop using it. You'll have to keep your distance from Dave so you get to see Isaac. ;)

Patsy ~ You have the ideal arrangement for Katie to burn off her energy and who knows, maybe in 5 years she might have calmed down just a little!! A friend was telling me last week that a farming friend she knows who breeds all varieties of puppies has a litter of Labradoodles that are "just so cute"!! I'm thinking that because a Border Collie they rescued a few years ago is getting on in years they might be thinking of buying one but we've already had the conversation about just how crazy the breed is. Patch her collie has lived outside in a barn because she came off a farm where she never went inside the home so hated to be indoors and I'm thinking a bundle of fluff and fun like your Katie will be a shock to the system!! I'll keep you up to date!

Marie ~ We're all missing you so hopefully your computer problems will be sorted soon.

Nearly lunchtime and hooray, the sun is doing its best to sneak a look so I'll get moving and hopefully do a couple hours of gardening this afternoon.

Happy Wednesday to all.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Good day, time to get moving but sipping a bit of coffee right now.

Jackie, what a frantically busy day you had!! I was driving through some different streets the other day and they had ADDED a bike lane to all of them. Friends, there is no room for a bike lane and they did not eliminate the street parking. I see no advantage for the bikers, they could always be on the streets and they will still need to cope with the cars. So I agree, planners are crazy!!

I hope your back is okay. Lying in a hard flat surface has never been something I want to do for long. And yes, Miranda is your show. I think most things on Acorn TV are not shows from the U.S. I was somewhat confusing I suppose because my reference to Lucifer was for the current U.S. Show. Anyway, I am getting a kick out of watching them again.

Phoebe, a Maj is a winning tile combination when playing Mah Jong. Most often it seems there is no winner, the tiles are expended and that is that. I think some people call that a win for the wall.

And I am very fortunate to live in a suburb with some adult programming at the library but within easy driving distance of two others with good programming in fact one is excellent. There are two more suburban libraries in other suburbs but so far I have not ventured to them as both are long drives.

I adore the senior center I go to but heard yesterday that the director who is a force of nature my friends, is retiring at the end of the year. Many are fearful that the excellent programming will not be maintained. We will see I guess.

Shirley, I hope you stay well and that your hand is feeling better.

Buzz, I hope you do not read this for a long time as you are getting much needed rest.

Anne, where are you hiding?

Marie, MISS YOU!!

Sandy, Jeri, Diane, Gayla, Marcella, Barbie, Patsy, and so many more, wishing you a good day.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Not hiding LIN, life's getting in the way, or rather diminishing hours in the day, or so it would seem. It didn't help that I got a book for my birthday and I've had my nose stuck in that. A first thriller novel from Paula Hawkins, "The girl on the train". I did guess correctly half way through who "done it" but that didn't stop me enjoying it immensely, hope she writes more!

Then I've done a lot of letter writing, or rather email writing.
    My poor cousin in Australia is in a lot of pain from knee surgery years ago after a car accident. She was in the passenger seat and as the car sped along out of control she was flung out, seat belt still attached to her AND the seat and she was dragged along on her knees on the gravelly road. I so wish I could hop over there and help for a while but I am 7 years older and don't think I dare travel that far on my own! Not to mention Jilly Bean. The leaving of!

Talking of the Bean she had a bad day on Sunday. For starters she barfed all over the carpet after our walk. This was a first for her after our talk about Katie etc. Anyway the little monkey must have chewed and swallowed something green and plastic because that's what ended up on my carpet. On our next walk, someone petted her, and she squirmed and wriggled with such joy that she got her head out of her harness and into the tight back piece. Rush into the house to cut tight harness off of her windpipe and prevent her choking. She shaking like a leaf. Finally, evening walk, her and nice dog Molly sniffing noses when great galumphing Rheilly flew over from nowhere it seemed dragging owner behind him. He snarled at poor little Molly and tangled himself up in Jillys leash and I'm not sure if he stepped on her or not, but she's yelping. Owner just stands there saying "oh he's protecting Jilly" (like before!) I carry my little shivering pup home, Rheillys owner giggling and saying, "you're not carrying her home are you? You better believe I am!
    The moral of this story, never take Jilly out again at times that coincide with the carthorses walks and his clueless owner.

And THATS why I haven't been around for a couple of days, not wanting to bore you all.

Alls been peaceful ever since! Just by changing our time and route.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,098 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) I am back, broke, tired and fat! We had a great time and now it is time to start eating right and exercising. We are going back in March for my "big" birthday so no traveling for me until then. Robby is sick with croup and a bad ear infection. I am glad Lisa took him to the doctor because he wasn't acting sick but had a temperature. She said he is a very good patient. As sick as he is, he sang a song even if he looks pitiful.
    https://youtu.be/rM6vMt5dkhs

I am staying home today, not even going to bingo. I need to recoup from my trip. Sorry Marie having computer problems. I read all the posts but much too tired to reply.

Have a good day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    ThANKS PHOEBE YOU've How long ave we been onlines friends always watch out for me.THANKS thanks Phoebe for letting the group know I was having problems. Alice seems to have taken care of it.I think at least 14 years. By now. I remembeer you thought you were too young to be a Senior. We let you grow into it. Gayla another long time friend. Lots of facebook friends from the Lighten up group. By the way Gayla how is neil doing?

MArie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Good to hear from you Marie, I see your computer problems are solved by Alice, your loving daughter.

My hand is doing better today, still a little stiff but the pain is getting better. I hope to do some cleaning today, its good to keep it moving. I think this shot hurt the worst I just hope it helps my finger from hurting because that was the purpose of the shot.

Lin You have such a nice library and so many activities for people to do. I wish ours was proactive but not so. I wanted the DVD the African Queen, Katherine Hebbourn, and never received the call when it was in. I called back after a few weeks and they said it still wasn't returned. First of all they never called like they said they would. Its a small town and a small library I guess that's expected.

[bSandy[/b] Welcome home, rest up. I couldn't see the video, it said removed by owner.

Anne You sure are having problems with your Jilly walks, maybe a change in route is for the best.
    How is Jilly doing? Is she feeling better?

Phoebe Isaac is about 2 1/2 hours from us so our visits are few. We almost got there for babysitting today, but Dave has caught a cold and Kathy thought it best not to come. They all just got over colds just recently. They were going to a Blue Jays game tonight but Kathy will stay home instead. :( My shot was very painful, more so than other ones I have had in the past. It is getting better today and can move it more without pain.

Buzz I hope you are feeling better and your leg is healing from the accident.

Shirley
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,098 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Couldn't get the sound to work so deleted it and fixed it!

https://youtu.be/aP-w4u66S4k