Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Up in the middle of the night. We are expecting hurricane force winds today. Also a foot of rain and possible local flooding. It is deadly calm right now. Moon is out and I see a few stars! It is to hit us tomorrow around noon. Hope it poops out before gets this far. The mooring basins are full and there are ships stacked up waiting. They closed the Columbia bar and they will close the big bridge from Astoria Oregon to Washington maybe around noon. Everyone is hunkering down. We have food and water and battery lamps. I am sure we will be okay but we are sure to loose power and a lot of trees. Oh well! It goes with the territory I guess. Make sure, everyone, you are safe and prepared for the winter and bad weather. Our emergency kit is in place. There is no chocolate in there! What was I thinking?
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness Patsy, the calm before the storm, how eerie! Please be safe and hold on tight to John and Katie. As you say, it will hopefully lose strength before it reaches you but still, worrying times and without any chocolate too because if ever there was a time for such indulgence it's now!!
    Let us know when all has passed you by. <3
    Jackie
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    PATSY, horrible day for you three, please stay safe, Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,147 Member
    Options
    Oh Patsy, I pray you and your family will be safe. When there is no chocolate how about fashioning something with cocoa powder? I put cocoa powder in my cooked steelcut oatmeal (along with cinnamon and blueberries). It is a nice chocolate flavor.

Hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    A chilly but dry moors walk with thick coat, a hat and gloves although halfway we did warm up and toss our hats! The rain has now arrived and is crashing on to my roof but nothing like a hurricane! Time to cosy down, light the fire and after some housework, catch up with a video or two. It's that sort of day when nothing other than toasted crumpets will do!!

Lin ~ My introduction to Cohen was Suzanne which like you I played over and over! The other was the Sisters of Mercy..... they will not be parted or gone! Happy, upbeat is definitely not in the man's DNA and I'm sure, as Anne suggests his songs could be deemed depressing, in fact I think his first album was referred to as the Suicide Songbook LOL.

Anne ~ Luckily I'm such an optimistic glass half full sort of person I manage to avoid being dragged down by his lyrics.... only just though!! Completely understand people being turned off by his music.

Nancela ~ On You Tube there's a beautiful scene from Scent of a Woman where Al Pacino dances to that song with his companion and I can well imagine it being used as a wedding dance. I'll check out KD Lang's version of Hallelujah.

Anyway enough of the man although I'm going to check if my old album was a first pressing because I only discovered a week or so ago that my Sergeant Pepper copy is which makes it worth about £350. A task one winters evening will be to go through all my old records and wee how much they might be worth.... never know, they might pay for an exotic holiday!

Time for those crumpets as the rain continues to crash down.
    Have a good Saturday everyone.
    Jackie
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Oh girls today I am a remorseful Anne, I was really only teasing, and I love K.D. Langs rendition of hallelujah. My excuse for my bad behaviour, my husband of 20 odd years was taking off with his girlfriend, and they loved Mr. Cohen who was at the height of his popularity in the 70s and one couldn't turn on the radio without him adding to a very depressing time. Life moved happily on for me, but listening to poor Leonard today, and knowing he went through such a terrible time himself when his fortune was stolen by someone he trusted, you can't really blame him for seeing the glass half empty.
    WHITE FLAG, TRUCE, I will try to be a kind, good, thoughtful and loving Anne, from now on. Well like Jilly, for the next day or two.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,099 Member
    Options
    7c5r0wu7w0kc.jpg

Have a wonderful birthday Anne!
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Thank you so much SANDY. Beautiful day here. Anne.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANN without an E. but just for a moment! I love you sweet lady.
    n6n0ze44wtwa.jpg
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Good job Patsy, on preparing for anything! Hold onto Katie. Thank goodness for weather Forecasts!
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Thank you so much PHOEBE! What I'd give for a slice of the beautiful cakes. (Or two!) Anne, or Ann "a rose by any name is still a rose, as they say, although in my case more a shaggy dandelion past it's sell by date!

Our Jill got insulted today. A chap on our walk bent to fondle her, THEN said "I've never seen such a big black, ugly rat before".
    I told Jilly to nip his ankles as if she would!
    THEN he said "I'm just off camping. Can I take her with me, she'd go well with ketchup and mustard".
    Is this pay back time for things I said about a certain elderly singer! I rarely get away with being mean!

I'm doing "nuffin " today, apart from taking the Bean for walks and feeding my face. It feels funny doing "nuffin".
    ANN.
  • linder4866
    Options
    1546944f8b3ulyr2y.gif

Happy birthday to dear Anne! Enjoy 'nuffin' today. And fie on that horrible man for the things he said. He must have thought himself clever. Growl.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Quick before the rains take out our power...a lovely happy birthday dear Anne! You add so much to the sneakers. You are funny and thoughtful and even if you will not own up to it, you are an intellectual. Your birthday is our lucky day. We are all lucky to have you as a sneaker. As a quick side note, there is really no such thing as an ugly dog. They are beautiful creatures...inside and outside, to my mind. Jilly is a delightful little girl giving love to everyone.
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,099 Member
    Options
    Love this picture Anne.....you look younger than in your profile picture....change it!! lol

• OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Leonard Cohen....Never heard of him and I suspected it must of been a English musician. Music started off great, but I tend to agree with Anne on this one.....time to click him off. LOL You ladies are so funny !!
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    No, Canadian from Quebec.
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Leonard Cohen is Canadian.

Speaking of Canadian, it's getting cold here fast. Watch out for Canadian geese heading your way. The temperature has already fallen to 13 C/55F. No snow yet but it is time to get out the old winter boots and mitts.

I did not have a great week food wise. Too many Thanksgiving leftovers. I am now right back on track though, and trying not to get angry with myself for gaining a pound.
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    And noticing that Anne is celebrating a birthday today. Happy Birthday Anne. The Sneakers wouldn't quite be the same without you. So glad that you found us !! Also what a wonderful picture of you and Jilly. Time to change the profile picture. Love it !!
  • linder4866
    Options
    LOVE the photo Anne! You and the Bean are both adorable! <3