Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Busy weekend, and go figure why my weight goes up and down 3 pounds every weekend! So I figured to heck with it and accepted an invitation to lunch at a Chinese restaurant, which I really enjoyed. Came back to learn they were showing "Lion" in our auditorium, so even though I missed part of the beginning, I truly enjoyed watching this film. True story and thank goodness I had enough Kleenex! And as long as I had those with me, I stopped at our beautiful memory garden to mist a bit over the brick I had engraved to Mike's memory. I know he's not under it, but somehow, I feel connected! I think perhaps I will attend tonight's movie as well with a name like Arrival or similar about space ships arriving here not to conquer but to learn about us. I'll sit near the back just in case! I'll grab a bite and better run or I'll be late.
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited May 2017
    A gorgeous day and I even managed to eat breakfast in my garden before 8 am!! George and I walked through the woods and across fields to the river then strolled back, me for my coffee and George for his lamb and chicken brunch. It clouded over yesterday so no chance to inspect my bee hive but today looks far more promising so I will at least prepare all I need ready to go around midday when the ladies will hopefully be too busy collecting pollen to notice their roof has been removed!! We did visit the allotment and spent a couple of hours weeding.... me in the strawberry bed and my neighbour strengthening the raised beds with plenty of new screws and wedges! It's all looking good so now we just need some decent weather to last more than a day or so.

Lin ~ At the moment a highly scented azalea is in full bloom close to where I hang my washing so I'm hoping they'll pick up some of that as well as fresh air! A few weeks ago I found the biggest queen wasp crawling on the inside of my garage door that turned out to be something out of a horror movie because however many times I stamped on, crushed, squeezed and jumped up and down on it wrapped in an old cloth it crawled out to wave its antennae at me. You know I hate killing anything but didn't want her building a nest in my garage so in the end, with a lot of regret I managed to kill her. Some creatures you just don't want to share space with!

Sandy ~ Brilliant that you managed your gas tank with just a look at you tube and you should feel proud! At the moment I'm struggling to find a carpet in the colour I have in my head for my bedroom so am resorting to ebay which means waiting for a couple of samples to make sure it is at it looks on my screen. Then I'll have to seek out a fitter but meanwhile continue to sort through boxes and containers and throw out anything that's not on my must keep list. After all that you'll get a photo! I tried to use that other icon to post a picture but it kept telling me I hadn't selected a photo from my file when I had. At the fourth attempt I gave up!!

Anne ~ Another really cute photo of Jilly with her precious bone! Indeed poor Mark but hopefully those stones will soon dissolve.

Buzz ~ I'd fear for any aliens attempting to make a friendly visit to our planet so look forward to reading how badly the humans behave in last night's movie!

Lots to do so will get outside and start. Have a good Monday everyone.
    Jackie

• pinkperil
    2fd2o6d7kjib.jpg

Well that worked! Tulip bulbs given to me at Christmas and the flowers suddenly burst open today.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,362 Member
    Hello, of course, behind schedule already. Need to get going for a doctor's appointment and must not drag my heels as a big rain storm is moving in and traffic will likely snarl.

Jackie, what a lovely day you're having with George but you write a startling story about that wasp. I didn't know wasps had queens. Perhaps that was what was crawling about on my screen the other day. I will keep my eye out for nests. Oh yes, scented laundry would be nice. I wonder if that is possible.

Buzz, I got the DVD of Lion at the library. I enjoyed the movie very much. I have heard of the other movie you mentioned but haven't tried to reserve it.

Anne, what a cutie. Did the Bean and Anne get a nap? I got an email from a friend letting me know she won't be around at the usual activities this week. She and her hubby were out camping when she got ill and was in the emergency room of a hospital all day yesterday. She is having kidney stones zapped this morning. I would dear why some people are towait it out and others have this procedure to try to break them up?

Oops, I am really late now.

Hugs.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Beautiful tulips Jackie!!
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited May 2017
    Well, the Bean and I are just having a rest because we've been moving furniture around to give her a bigger play area. Me huffing and puffing and tugging, her leaping excitedly around supervising. This entailed moving my big clumsy coffee table into the back room via the kitchen and bringing up from the basement my dainty and in very good condition but much smaller Ercol beech wood table which has been hidden for far too long.

Don't know why I didn't do this years ago, maybe because I didn't want my past kitties sitting on it to stare out the window! We DO adapt for our pets don't we.

Finally, gorgeous, if a little chilly, day. So good to see the blue skies again. Everything outside at its best. Tulips and grape hyacinths etc in full bloom and my apple trees getting ready to show their blossom.

I don't appear to have "that other icon".
    Oh maybe I do, experiment coming up!
    And not! Somehow I got George and Scruff.

Back to the drawing board, Anne.
  • jacean2017
    x8kovhfdwbkj.jpg
    Wow, managed it, but I bet it's big. If so sorry! Anne
  • jacean2017
    o6zocxa93y8c.jpg
    These photos are Mary Jos garden. Spring really has arrived in Canada. Anne
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,271 Member
    Happy Monday! :) Caught up on sleep by going to bed early. The only problem was that I woke with some tummy issues and I was afraid that might happen. I made my low carb dessert last night using almond milk and heavy whipping cream and something told me that they were in my frig too long. I ate one dessert last night and I am convinced one or both were spoiled so I threw everything out this morning. Better to be safe than sorry.
    I am doing laundry, going to lunch with friends later, tomorrow getting new tires, Wednesday boy sitting and bingo, Thursday my meeting. Busy week but at least it keeps me active.

Anne, Mary Jo's garden is beautiful. Do we get a picture of your new arrangement and table?

Lin, good luck at the doctor and I hope you beat the storms. I got a free gift certificate from Comcast to watch a movie so I am going to use it for hidden figures. I have until the end of the month to watch the movie. I am so far behind in my DVR programs but will make time for the movie.

Jackie, will be patient in waiting for the finished product, take your time in picking out the right color carpet. Your description of your walk with George reminded me of a fairy tale:
    Over the stream and through the woods to grandmother's house we go. Hope you didn't encounter any wolves. The tulips are beautiful, color is so pretty.

Buzz, I think we all have that problem of gaining and losing, probably from salt. I haven't heard of the movie Lion but have heard of Arrival which is another I would like to see. The memorial brick for Mike sounds wonderful Buzz. I am sure he is there in spirit while you are missing him. (((hugs))).

I hope my tummy gets better before going to lunch, I should have known better.

Have a good day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• linder4866
    Hello everyone. Just stopping by to report the doctor's visit went as expected. Lots of blood drawn. Lots of lectures about tests I have not been doing that he considers essential. I did finally cave in and take the SECOND pneumonia shot. When I had one at age 60, I was told one and done. Now they have a second shot you are to get a year after the first and now that one combined with the first original shot make the FOREVER shot. Right.

Lots of blood drawn and I was freed. If anything revolting shows up, I am certain they will track me down again. I called my friend whose husband is the hospital adjoining the doctors' offices. She would not leave his room for a cup of coffee or a walk and he requested no visitors so I left and carried on with my errands. Quite boring I suspect but enough to fill the day. I now have the La La Land DVD to watch in the next several weeks.

Anyway, the friend whose hubby is in the hospital is the one who thought the cancer wasn't serious but is Stage 4. He went in for his first chemo treatment last Wednesday and all went wrong and his kidneys shut down. They tried to get then working again and there a bit of hope for a little while. I just got a call, they are moving him to hospice tomorrow and they think he probably has a week or so. Apparently she is upset that he won't come home so she could care for him.

So lots of upset within my church again with this latest news. I met this friend at work shortly after I moved here and we were working at the same company. I lived near then for a few years so stopped over often to give her a ride and would visit with her hubby. And of course we all went to church together and for a while, all sang in the choir together. Lots of sadness.

Tomorrow is Mah Jongg morning and there is coloring at the library in the afternoon. I just wanna have some pleasant distractions.

Wishing everyone the best of health.

Hugs.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Awesome flower photos Anne! <3
  • delraybuzz
    edited May 2017
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/11/18/all_your_arrival_plot_questions_explained.html

Just lost my explanation for the link above, but I'd better try to explain if you watch ARRIVAL, and don't resent a "spoiler", the article that link will take you to might help you understand ARRIVAL better than most of us watching last night were able to! If you feel an explanation of the movie would spoil it for you, I will simply say try to imagine time not being in a set line; the future may have been brushed in the past, or the present or future may appear as "flashbacks"...or perhaps "flash-forwards" ! In my own past years I had an intense interest in Science Fiction and always wondered how prepared we would be if ever visited by "other beings from outer space"! This non-violent picture did not disappoint nor frighten me, and I was prepared for certain reactions that were unfortunately , not a surprise. Please let me know your reactions to this rather cerebral film, which I might view again now that I have a bit more insight! I don't recall if I mentioned another film I just viewed Friday named TANNA; nominated as a 2017 Oscar best foreign film. Concerns a young girl in an indigenous tribe on an isolated Pacific Island who defies traditions for arranged marriages and amazed me with the reactions I did not expect from such "unsophisticated" civilizations! You will need subtitles for this one. I could not believe someone behind me in the auditorium shouted "Make it louder" as the staff person was leaving! Could it be she understands the Yakel language?
    JACKIE and ANNE, your tulips and other gems are just breathtaking! Thank you for sharing!
    SANDY, my page has turned and I don't want to lose this again, but I think you mentioned the salt weight coming and going, and despite my Chinese meal yesterday, I was down 3 pounds this morning! Go figure! Sounds as though your busy week is one you are looking forward to so I know you'll enjoy it!
    LIN, so sorry about the sadness you share with your friends. From my experience, she could never duplicate what hospice will accomplish for him without tearing her emotions apart. I have seen people survive much longer than anyone predicted, and having the support of such a wonderful group at this time is so excellent. Let her know hospice is there for her, as well, so she has support to help her deal with both the physical and emotional pain now and long after he passes. I do hope she will use the help and not feel it shows weakness! And she is fortunate indeed to have you as a friend! JACKIE, I can only imagine your feelings as you tackled that queen wasp! We imagine we will always be the stronger being against the world's creatures, but this old gal really gave you a tough struggle! Are hornets and wasps the same?
    I must try to get better bedtime hours so my face stops looking such a fright! I wish my facial skin would retain the weight instead of my stomach!
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    Something happened to our sunny weather so today not only cloudy but a cold north easterly wind. The climate seems to be having a joke with us all because certainly by now my greenhouse should be full of seedlings popping up to greet me but some trays remain sadly empty! Yesterday afternoon I visited a small carpet shop in our town expecting to come away with a few samples but instead splashed out on one twice the price I planned but it will be added to my "see me out" list!! I took a sample of wallpaper and splash of paint colour with me and this one does seem perfect.... we'll see! It should be fitted on Friday around the same time as George's groomer is here so I'll be juggling my attention to whoever needs me the most!

Lin ~ That's so sad about your friends but Buzz's succinct comments are all and more I could ever suggest. Hospice care is definitely the best they could ever want to support both of them.

Buzz ~ You made me laugh out loud at the "make it louder" person!! I saw a review on tv of Tanna around the time of the Oscar nominations and you've reminded me to look out for it as it did look fascinating. I'll click on your link about Arrival once I finish here. Hornets and wasps look similar although in the UK a wasp is generally smaller and hornets more vicious if that's possible. At a recent apiary meeting I was told all about the Asian Hornet that's found its way to Europe and now across the English Channel into England and they apparently eat honey bees and destroy hives in no time so I'm hoping not to ever be confronted with one of those! A friend who lives in France gave up beekeeping after losing all his bees to such a monster.

Anne ~ Beautiful photos.... someone has got green fingers!

Sandy ~ On yesterday's walk we did encounter a couple of mad Husky dogs that could be mistaken for wolves from a distance but up close they are soft as butter so even George likes them! Hope you're tummy is more settled today. You did the right thing to throw out what might have caused it. Hmmm, didn't take your advice to take my time over the carpet but I don't think I'll regret my choice. :/

After a visit with my housebound neighbour and now a coffee break it's almost lunchtime for me so I'll think of a snack to eat and then get on with clearing the shower room out ready for the plumber tomorrow and then try to get outside even if I have to wrap up!

Jackie

• jacean2017
    edited May 2017
    I tried to post a SMALL photo of my 60 year old Ercol table SANDY, but as usual it came out huge and I didn't want to bore you all AGAIN, so I deleted it.
    How does everyone else manage to post small?
    Mary Jo does have a green thumb JACKIE. Her garden is beautiful. But it's in her genes. Grandad and dad both owned fruit farms in the past.
    Anne.
  • jacean2017
    One potato sprouting so far and teeny, tiny, beetroot just starting to show! Yeah, yeah, yeah! Must get more compost to fill a third container for 2 or 3 tomato plants. No sign of the carrots yet.
    Anne the ecstatic.
  • linder4866
    Hello Sneakers

Anne, I do not post small photos. They just blast out at whatever size! Glad you have a tiny potato sprout. It is a start. Carrots are always slow here. We planted radish seeds along with carrots to have a place marker. :D

Buzz, I haven't heard of that movie. I will have to look it up. And here when someone talks about hornet nests they are large oval or spherical mud structures often found in trees. Some brave souls go out to harvest them (sans hornets) and turn them into art! Yipes!! I do not know what the technical differences there are between wasps and hornets. Here we also call wasps yellow-jackets. Hornets have a reputation as being very fierce and mean.

Jackie, how wonderful that you found carpet that you liked!! Well done. And just as you were prepared to do a long patient hunt for the right thing! How exciting.

Time to get ready to go on to coloring. By the way, I watched the group play Mah Jongg this morning. My table regulars were not available today. It was interesting to watch several of the players choose what hand to try for.

Be well. Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    My internet is coming and going today, but I have it long enough to discover my son will be in Georgia on Mothers' Day and wants some Facetime. Wish he could just surprise me by showing up! Spent hours on phone with Comcast, and a tech will be here in the morning tomorrow, so I must do some picking-up now! :s Oh, I'm trying hard to not use my walker in the apartment. I really think if I'd lose enough weight, I'd be doing more walking!
    <3 Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,271 Member
    edited May 2017
    Happy Tuesday! :) Busy all day!! Went to have tires put on but someone dropped the ball and they didn't have the tires. The manager was very apologetic and said he would have them there and if I didn't mind coming back he would have them put on in 45 minutes. I went back to my area, went to Walmart and got the call. At home I was trying to put a lantern I bought from LTD together and after many tries finally figured it out. I accidentally bought two and shipping one back wasn't worth the expense so put it together for Lisa. I am exhausted now and it is dinner time.

Sitting for boys at 10 am so Lisa can go to eye doctor!

Will check in tomorrow.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    This morning I've had a Lin experience.... waiting in patiently for plumber and electrician to arrive to install my new shower and 20 minutes after they should have got here I get a call from their office to tell me they won't be coming!! Apparently the electrician let them down so the work is rescheduled for Monday but I've insisted I get more notice than offered today if they change their plans again. The estimate for the work is high but I accepted it thinking that they would at least be efficient..... dream on Jackie because little today is!! Fingers crossed the carpet fitter and dog groomer will arrive when planned on Friday. Tomorrow I'm going to visit a nursery to buy bedding plants so watch it snow!!!
    I collected George from my friend where he'd been staying out of the way of workmen and we then walked across local downs and fields in soaring heat so now the poor boy is flat out on the lounge floor in the cool and I'm going to get some gardening done.

Hopefully everyone's Wednesday will turn out better than mine!
    Jackie
  • jacean2017
    So far so good JACKIE in the better department! Aren't workmen the very devil and it doesn't matter what country you are residing in! Meanwhile, my hot water dribbling from the tap into the bath tub is reduced to a trickle, so to get my morning bath I turn the tap on and disappear to make a cup of tea whilst the tub slowly fills. About quarter hour! No danger of drowning! Every cloud has a silver lining! My landlord is still "with kidney stone" so there's no point in bothering him at the moment!

We've just got back from our morning walk. A rabbit bigger than Jilly shot past us which gave one lady a giggle and Jill was so stunned she didn't bark for once. A bit of excitement yesterday. I was in my back room and heard sirens. Shot to the front to see a woman being loaded into an ambulance. Found out later from Darren, because it was in front of his house, that she had collapsed whilst walking and had called the ambulance herself, our street being fairly quiet and no one around. All like me in the back I expect and alerted by the sirens after the event. I hate modern technology but I guess useful in this case.

Well, my seedlings are still thriving. I've got to keep the squirrels and bunnies out of the containers now. Mesh?

Happy gardening and getting lovely and mucky everyone who can,
    Annie.