Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Talk about a crazy mixed up frame of mind...I agree with Anne about cars, pollution, lack of exercise that is common these days. BUT I really enjoy our day trips. We take Katie with us and enjoy everything from a frozen yoghurt to whale watching and visit the mooring basin with a huge "flotilla" of sea lions. I guess the lesson here would be moderation. I admit...I am not too good at moderation!

I am so grateful for you Sneakers and the encouragement and support concerning Anne and my writing. I have always felt that most creative efforts are not really complete until it is shared. Every creative effort needs someone to hear or see the message. Children's stories have a clear message, even if it is simple joy or the encouragement of humor.

I have been dealing with a vicious sciatic episode. What a misery! The takeaway is that exercise, stretches and strength building exercises is the only medicine! We all need to take heed. Our bodies need to move and move a lot. I am so glad that you all try to maintain your personal health in your own way.
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    LIN, you inspired me to track down the book by PATSY and JOHN Wubben!!! I could not open it, but this is the lovely painting by our own PATSY, published 2008

ttxuzdx1f4mw.jpg

SANDY, you are correct about Mae recounting having used the Voice to Text program. Connie had messaged me about it as well...I think! I'm grateful to both, as well as to you for trying to keep me straightened out! By the way, you sure made the right decision when you became independent. If Babe hadn't realized your capabilities after all your years together, he really couldn't appreciate losing his treasure!!! :'(

"Dine Around the World" dinner tonight is in Thailand. Should I attempt to wear an exotic caftan or dress like normal people? Such problems, huh?

Hands really burning today and it's been pouring so it may be weather related, but I just cannot type. Hugs to you all, and at least I read and enjoy all your posts!
    <3 Buzz
    .................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!!!..................

• jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Well we did our long walk, and Jilly got two more before Mike took off for home, which has given me, for the very first time in ages a chance to READ my book. Jilly is sprawled out in deep slumber. We have actually worn the little girl out! I've started calling her Jilly Jean. The name seems to suit her which got me thinking about my own name. Anne does not suit me. For a start it means graceful. I am not graceful! AND I was born on a Tuesday which means full of grace. A double whammy! Anne's are to my mind elegant, with finely boned features and tameable blonde smooth hair. Does anyone else feel misnamed? But what do I replace it with if I could? I've tried Annie, but everyone reverts back to Anne. Maybe Molly, maybe Katie? Are you all happy with the name bestowed on yourselves at birth? My aunt Alice hated her name but I liked it!
    Just idly musing here while Jilly Jean twitches her paws in sleep. I don't often have time to muse. It was nice getting rid of Anne 56 years ago with two new souls at least and replacing Anne with mom and later Gran.

She who shall not be named!
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Where is Marie located in the state of Texas ? Very concerned about the hurricane going on there and hope that she will be out of harms way. As for me I am nursing a thumb injuried 10 wks ago by closing it in a car door. Slow process trying to heal it; after my appt yesterday my orthopedist decided I needed to have my whole thumb nail removed. So it was done as an out patient today and I am in the numb stage.....only 6 months more to grow back a whole nail. Trust me you do not want to do what I did. Be safe everyone....
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Oh dear, been there done that and it hurts like heck! Feel better , DD!
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sorry I didn't check in yesterday but it flew away with me looking after neighbours cats while they attend the wedding of a favourite niece, a long, long walk on the moors where the sun shone brightly and a gentle breeze only just kept us cool then in the afternoon the first of the garden room companies reps visited to work out a quote for me. By holding out on signing any agreement he dropped the price considerably overnight. They can do the whole project from start to finish including pulling down the old conservatory and since George seemed to take to him too he's in the running. Another rep this afternoon if he can work his way through horrendous Bank Holiday traffic!

A lovely read through everyone's posts and so exciting about new creative projects, Buzz's latest purchase and Sandy's DIY project at Babe's that shows you are just as energetic as the rest of us sweetheart! :)

Anne ~ Apparently my mother read Jane Eyre during her pregnancy with me and wanted to call me Jane but father thought it boring! At school I always hated my long full name because when learning to write I was struggling long after the Anns, Marys, Susans and Lindas had finished spelling theirs and the teacher was never sympathetic!! I think we grow into our names and I changed mine to Jackie just as soon as I could so in the end my father was the only one who used it! My brother's now ex is Ann without an 'E', perhaps that was an omen!!

Must get on so hello to everyone I've missed and yes, let's hope Marie and everyone in the path of that awful storm keeps safe. I see she lives in a place called Mesquite but don't know if that's' near the coast??

Happy Saturday.
    Jackie

• jacean2017
    Options
    Having lost a big toenail once, plus all the other nails on a seaside rock AND a thumb nail caused by a brick dropped on it sympathies are sent!
    My mother was a Jane JACKIE and I love the name, however an Anne I am and ever more will be so, sigh.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,098 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Woke up too early and couldn't go back to sleep, now I am so tired. I hope I can nap later before Church. Will stop and see Babe and Daisy after Mass but no other plans for today. Tomorrow I am going to Santa's Village with Lisa and the boys. Her brother and his wife will also be there with their kids and possibly Lisa's parents. It will be a long day although it might rain and cut the day short.

Anne, so I have forgotten as usual but where does the your jacean name come from? My grandmother's name was Alexandra so since I was born before my cousin my mother named me Sandra, my cousin was named Alexia. I insisted on being called Sandra when I was a child because there was a girl I didn't like who was called Sandy. I went to Sandy later in life so the only one who called me Sandra was my father.

Jackie, I like that the rep reduced his price but more that George likes him. Good luck with the second estimate and with George liking him. Thanks, I guess I can still do a lot of things my younger friends can't even do, so I hope I stay agile for a long time.

Diane, sorry about your thumb, it sounds very painful. I think Marie is near Dallas and I did see her daughter posted a post on Facebook this morning so I asked about flooding but so far no reply.

Buzz, well did you dress for your Thailand dinner? Sorry your hand is still burning, I do hope the voice control works for you so you can give those hands a rest.

Patsy, I am so sorry about your sciatic, I had a laminectomy to correct mine. Therapy did not work nor did the three shots I had. The pain is awful so I hope it is just a flare up and it settles down for you. I am impressed by you and your husband's book and will try to order one and read in when the weather gets colder.

Lin, you must have another busy day or we are posting at the same time.

Have a good day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Hi Sandy. Where does my post name come from?
    JA - Jane, my mother.
    CE - Cec, my dad. Poor dad, he was named after Cecil Rhodes, founder of Rhodesia who I think was either born or died on the same day.
    AN - yours truly.
    2017 - when I started yet again!
    Have a super day at Santas village, yikes, SANTA.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacean, (now there's a thought!)
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,146 Member
    Options
    Hello friends -

I woke up with a list of things to try to accomplish today. Things have not gone as planned. Hopefully I will get back on track sometime soon. The drain malfunctioned and I had a flood on the basement floor. That took a while to clean-up. Later, if this is not TMI, the toilet seat became detached. It is an odd one and difficult to reattach. Another time sucker. Haaaaa. I have just cut up some tomato and zucchini for breakfast/lunch. Oooh, how chic, I am having brunch! Maybe I will accomplish loads this afternoon. Oh my, I am laughing, loudly.

Diane, I am so sorry to hear about your thumb. How incredibly painful. I slammed my thumb in a car door as a child and lost the nail so I sincerely empathize. Keep it safe for healing. I know it is hard to function without running that tender area into things.

Buzz, I hope your hands are better today. And I guess we are all wondering what did you decide to wear last night. There was "A Summer of Love" party at the Senior Center last night to celebrate 1967. I saw a little video clip and the music they played was way older than 1967 and the dancing was from the '50s. Hummmmm.

Jackie, good start in pricing the work on your house. I hope you find just the right contractors and that George will be okay with the people who show up to do the work.

Anne, I have no opinion regarding names. I may not have been thrilled with my name but never thought of changing mine. I use a shorter version here and some other places in part because other people have called me by nicknames or again a shorter version of my name. Nothing that I encouraged at the time. And maybe because no other name appealed to me more? I do know I have never liked my middle name and try to avoid using it. I am not sure why, it just has always been that way.

Well, I should get moving. Although something else may go wrong if I dig back into my chore list. Haaaa.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    The last Windows 10 update included something called Windows Ink Workspace, with all kinds of areas for drawing, sticky notes, adding Apps, etc. It's a funny little icon added to your taskbar and if you can figure out what to do with everything, teach me! Meanwhile I cannot open my Humana site until I buy an App at the STORE (?) to open it!
    I did not wear my caftan to Thailand, but it was delightful anyway.
    Nobody commented on PATSY's beautiful ocean painting, so I'm wondering if it got included! It's on my site, but one never knows. I agree with LIN about the powerful strokes it depicts! Well, have a wonderful weekend y'all.
    <3 Buzz
    .................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!!!..................
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Hello from very warm (90s) Oregon today. I continue to fuss with my sciatica. Good grief! Who invented these miseries, anyway? I feel somewhat embarrassed to complain when I think about Texas and all my Texan relatives. That is real misery. We always vacationed on Padre Island on the Texas coast.

Buzz: thank you so much for the mention of our book and my painting. One of the things that keeps us here on the coast is the magnificent Pacific Ocean. The winter storms are like looking into the eye of God. Ocean power humbles you like nothing else can. I think John has photographed this part of the ocean thousands of times. He sees different moods each time. I have been a marine painter for years. I even painted the Gulf of Mexico in Texas as a teenager. The original painting for our book cover was bought by a doctor who retired and moved to Florida. He has come back to the area when I have had a couple of gallery shows. The good looking doc and his trophy wife have bought several of my paintings for their home. Here is something I have noticed. The Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic and the Pacific are the only oceans I have seen. Each have a different color and personality..

Anne: okay, my love...let me tell you I have had many nick names. Most of them I could do without! My cousins had a talent for coming up with the most disgusting nick names ever. I fear some of my nick names have endured through the ages. "Chubs" being my least favorite, but the one that stuck with me the longest as a kid. Patsy is really a sort of southern short for Patricia. My name is Patience, a rather classy name that doesn't fit me but I do like it for those rare "formal" events.
    Patsy, Chubs, Patience
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    PATSY/PATIENCE/PAINTER, you are so right regarding Oceans having their own uniqueness.The waters around Bermuda, which is located in the cold darkness of the Atlantic Ocean, but evidently within the Gulf Stream , are a sparkling magnificent brilliant turquoise, like a gorgeous gemstone! To me, the Pacific tends to have colors much warmer than the Atlantic, and Hawaii has always brought tears to my eyes when I first view the ocean through the red sands coming through the mountain tunnels. Pure Paradise to me, yet I have heard people compare Florida to Hawaii and wonder how they are viewing each! One is a long flat peninsula surrounded on 3 sides by lovely beaches and blue waters, while the other is a group of volcanic islands with almost every possible exciting condition nature can produce, from fiery flowing lava to snow on mountain tops! I think it's exciting to already have a collector following your paintings!
    ANNE, would you believe I've always answered to my given name . Except for a very brief period when (as those romantically involved often do), I was young and fearless and agreed to be called Buzz by my new husband, I have always been Barbara! Interestingly , my first name was supposed to be Diane, and I never understood why it got inverted when my birth certificate was written! I've really never felt one way or the other about my name!

Just want to add I went to a very interesting lecture today about the Dead Sea Scrolls. The latest one, added to an amazing collection already on display and under study in their own museum, is more than 7000 years old!!! History is amazing!
    <3 Buzz (lol)
    ................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!!!..................
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Love to read about the various seas and oceans! I love the cold, grey North Sea. Magnificent in storms, I remember the water rushing in, in great waves over the rocks and harbour walls, a dangerous sea. Sometimes in winter storms the Great Lakes remind me of the North Sea and the brave fisherman who sail it, and brave they are in their little boats. All fishermen are brave.
    Busy day and it's my 53 year olds birthday. Oh and the old/new switch for my ancient (modern maid ironically) stove top will be installed on Monday. It's for the front most used and useful burner.
    Nicknames? Bye from Bushy Anne. Maybe Anne ain't so bad after all!
  • jacean2017
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Just a tribute to my Uncle Donald who sailed every Sea on the planet. A merchant navy Sea captain. Before the WW he sailed the china seas and the Indian Ocean, during the war he did the Atlantic run surviving submarine attacks when those around him in convoys didn't. Not only the seas, but he navigated the great man-made canals, suez etc.
    Once a Molotov cocktail landed on the deck as he talked to his first mate. Without thinking, he immediately kicked it overboard where it exploded, thus saving crew and ship. He finally retired at the age of 70 because he needed glasses to read!
    Many connections to family working with things tied to the Sea in my past, alas no longer. My dad worked at a shipyard building trawlers until the depression, at which point, laid off, he acquired a bicycle and repair shop.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,098 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Waiting to find out if we are still going to Santa's Village. They are calling for thundershowers so they are not sure what to do. If it were my choice I would postpone until another day but I will do whatever they decide.
    Today is my mother's birthday, she is gone 25 years but I still miss her every day.

Anne, you have great memories and great stories, you should record them for your children.
    Happy birthday to your son, he shares it with a great lady, my mom.

Buzz, I have been in both Florida and Hawaii and I don't think they compare at all. Hawaii is like paradise although it has been over 50 years since I have been there. My grandson works there with the Salvation Army every summer and he definitely wants to move there when done with college. BTW I do not have that Windows Ink Work space on my task bar but just searched for it on my computer and have it in my programs. I will play with it when I have time and get back to you.

Patsy, you have every right to complain about sciatica, it is so painful. You are indeed a great painter and sorry I didn't mention the cover of your book, it was beautiful!! What a great accomplishment to have your paintings bought by a "good looking" doctor. People who paint amaze me, my ex mother in law took up painting in her 60's or 70's and we have some wonderful paintings to remember her.

Lin, sorry about the flooding and toilet seat, I hope you got it all worked out. What is your given name out of curiosity or would you rather not share?

Time is getting away on me once again, I have to jump in shower just in case we are going.
    Have a great day!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Still no rain in this part of Texas No flooding either. But oh Houston
    Marie
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Great posts, and so glad to hear MARIE is not near Harvey! I think the fingers are beginning to improve, and the burning is not as intense...or I'm getting used to it! SANDY, I totally agree with you re:Hawaii, and what an excuse to spend lots of time there when your son moves there! Mine lived there 37 years and it's easy to understand why! I Ioved visiting though I usually stayed at a B&B since my former DiL was not very gracious about "sharing space"!!! Good luck with the reconstruction, JACKIE.
    <3 Buzz
    ...............Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!!!..................
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Hot day here...remember when I was convinced we were in for an early fall and winter? Well...I've changed my mind. I also remember when my grandfather and my dad would have a Farmers almanac right beside their chair. They were sure the predictions were right on! Aaaaahhhhem...I think that was wishful thinking on their part.

I can't help but look at the devastation in Texas. This is so terrible. I saw a video of people with little kids and babies in a shuttle bus waiting for help. Also older people with their dogs and cats in carriers. The look on their faces were so demoralized. I really need to stop looking at these photos, until there is a plan to send help,in some way. This is Katrina all over again.

My sciatica is a bit better now. Not gone! But I can do a little bit more now and the pain is about 50% gone. The last week or two have not been fun. Still limited in range of motion and strength. I am exercising a couple times a day. I just keep telling myself, "there are people who have real pain and loss. I need to NOT whine. Get after my stretches and exercises."

A good week coming up, dear sneakers. By the way, John and I are replacing the foam in a couple of leather cushions. What a process. Thank God for YouTube. I love that YouTube. They know everything.

Patsy
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,146 Member
    Options
    Good evening, nice to hear from so many Sneakers. Nothing much to offer. Church today including communion preparation again and counting offering afterwards. Checking on a friend who did not show up at church (feeling unwell again) and now an evening of Endeavor.

Hugs.

Lin