Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited February 2020
    It’s bedtime, gone midnight, and there seems to have been MFP maintenance stopping me getting into the site until now. Quite a busy day gone by starting with a muddy walk on the moors that required George being taken straight to the shower when we got home. He’s now looking very fluffy in his Winter coat. As we walked we crossed paths with a lady and her 2 dogs I hadn’t seen in months and it turns out her husband died last August after a short battle with cancer. It was obvious she is shell shocked and feeling completely lost so I wanted to give her a big hug but could tell there would be floods of tears if I did. As it was she suddenly turned and walked on so I let her go. After George had been showered and rubbed down I phoned the local hardware shop to check if they had a couple of items I needed... of course they did as it’s one of those stores that has boxes on shelves stacked to the ceiling but the shopkeeper can still put his hand on what’s needed immediately!
    Tomorrow (now today!) I am driving to Plymouth to visit a car dealership in order to test drive the new Citroen C3 so I thought it best to take my current car to the car wash then vacuum Betty’s shedded fur out of the vehicle as best I could. I use car seat covers that have been given a cycle in the washing machine but still her loose hairs were everywhere!
    I do believe we might see some sunshine in the afternoon... now that will be a miracle although yet more rain over the already flooded areas of England and Wales. Green shoots popping up around my garden and Crocuses already flowering so yes, Spring is just round the corner. 🌷🌻🌾

The Great British Bake Off Patsy if those cakes were being baked in a marquee. It always amazes me what wonders the amateur contestants create each week. I’d be double my size if I possessed their talent!!

Sandy you can have your glass of wine at Clovelly so long as the sun is past the yardarm! 🙃😛

Well past my bedtime!
    Jackie
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    LOST ANOTHER POST😪. Too late to dribble my nothings. Feeling much better
    <3 Buzz
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    We got up late to daylight! So more later.
    I like that show The Great British Bake off! The contestants are usually very clever! And sometimes we see old favourites.
    Not a sniff of a daffodil tip showing through the snow and soil here! It's a cold, cold day but will warm up a bit on Saturday. However spring must be in sight because the Beans fur is in balls of fluff everywhere!
    I couldn't get on this site yesterday either. Presumably maintenance.
    More later, must leap into the shower.

Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,366 Member
    Super cold here this morning but tomorrow should be much nicer. I am off to meet the former library ladies this morning. Hoping for some conversation not directly related to politics. I may leave early if that is the case.

I was in the midst of the book club yesterday when I received a text message. Quite a few followed. A lady that is a part of the monthly day long paper crafting sessions and various other activities died suddenly of heart failure. No funeral but a memorial service sometime in the spring. She was 51 with no diagnosis of heart disease. I was just gutted. Many text messages have flown since then, memories of getting together, her talent, etc. We were only in touch at the library events or when we ran into each other in various craft stores in the area. And we did! ❤️❤️

Repeating, life is short, grab on to friends, family, happy times and be kind to others. That is what I will continue to try to do.

Anne, Nothing is signaling spring here either but maybe it will suddenly arrive without warning. A friend told me she saw her first robin early this week. ❣️❣️

Jackie, oooooh wow, checking out a new car. I hope it is just what you are looking for!

Sandy, busy calendar lady. Did you win at bingo?

Buzz, darn, lost posts, always a problem.

Patsy, good morning to you. And Katie. And John.

Must zip along to make my tea.

But now in this teapot. Silver dragon teapot....hundreds of years old according to the person who posted it on Facebook.

ap9ilqx3e9zq.jpeg

Hugs.

Lin
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Another dry sunny but cold day here. After so many days of rain, this is a true blessing. We saw many, many daffodils and also several rhododendrons in full bloom. These were the early whitish ones. Also spotted a blooming camellia Bush. Yea! Spring is here along with baby fawns and new lambs in the pastures along our road. There were times this winter when I was convinced we would never see the sun again.

Sadly we have had so many disappointing lunches and dinners out that we are current avoiding our local cafes and restaurants. Bad service along with lackluster food AND cold to Luke warm coffee. So I am chief menu planner and cook. It has been my job forever but with frequent dinners and lunches out. Hope this is only an odd blip in the scheme of things.

Our Portland PBS station depends on British programming a good deal, lots of series and informational programs. That baking show is popular. It is scary for me to watch. Lots of sugar and butter flying around. Oh glory be!

Gathering trash together. Tomorrow is trash day. John needs to take a load of cardboard to recycle. We are staying busy, therefore avoiding news and views.
    Patsy☘️
  • pinkperil
    A busy, busy time but things are coming together. Phone calls from a joinery company that will replace my old staircase to include a handrail (to stop friends nagging me about falling down and breaking my neck!) and I've purchased a car much smaller than the model I had in mind but once up close I had to ask myself why would I want to go back to driving a tank. This one has a small engine and few enough techi bits up front not to be annoying. I certainly dont want to hear warning beeps every time the car thinks I'm drifting because you can imagine how often I have to drive round a sheep or horse on the side of the road! An amazing deal on price too so I couldn't really not buy it and the saving will pay for my stairs!
    nsbfqb2vw1rj.jpg

My neighbour who's a teacher so on half term break came with me and it turned out the salesman was an ex pupil and he admitted although he initially recognised her voice he remembered more that she used to shout at him a lot!! Maths wasnt his subject apparently. :D
    A couple of purchases at the hardware store then home in time for a very late toasted bagel for lunch and now contemplating lighting the fire because although it's a lot brighter than first thing, it's chilly.

Lin, Another amazing teapot although having to clean and polish it was the first thing that came to mind because ornate silver is never easy! That's sad your paper craft friend passed away so suddenly but I do so agree, each day is precious and we must make the most as well as let those around us know we care. SO, dear sneaker friends, I care about you all!! <3<3

Fire to be lit and another cup of tea orgnanised so I wish you all a happy Thursday.
    Jackie

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,274 Member
    Happy Thursday! :) I am not going to my meeting today as Lisa needs me to sit for Max and Charlie so she and Robby can go for eye exams. Should be a short day and if possible I might be meeting up with friends after sitting. I did win $50 at bingo so a win is a win.
    It is very cold outside today but it looks like they are saying 50 degrees for Sunday.

Jackie, love the new car although I don't know the brand. Did you take it with you today?
    Did you do a trade-in on your old car?? I really want a new car but just afraid I can't afford the payments. Trying to save up some money for a bigger down payment. When will the new staircase be installed? I know I rely on my bannister especially when I have groceries to carry.

Patsy, I prefer to eat at home but I get a lot of invitations to go out and eat. The week I stayed in and cooked for myself and exercised is when I lost some weight. It is too bad the service, food and coffee is under par, it is nice to go out once in a while.

Lin, I too, am so sorry about your friend. That is why I try to live one day at a time, because you never know when it will be your last. The teapot is beautiful but just for show. lol

Anne, I hope Jilly is right in predicting spring with her loss of winter hair, I am so ready for warm weather.

Buzz, really is sad that you keep losing posts so maybe just check-in with us and say hello just so we know you are okay.

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    LIN, so sad about your young friend and smart advice for LIVING! That is one gorgeous dragon teapot! What fun the silversmith must have had making it!

PATSY, I watched the debate last night until it put me to sleep. Please tell me I'm not alone! From Bloomberg's responses, I don't see him standing up to the Big Bully since he did not seem to respond to attacks by Warren! So Who can appeal to Americans, challenge Bully Boy, and offer a good plan? I worry we are at a standstill and the NRA will still be in control!

Good morning ANNE, or did it just become afternoon? And I have not had breakfast yet!

JACKIE, wishing you good luck with a new Citroen!! Get brave with color; I always love a red car, especially my little red MG!

We just received a phone call regarding a virus spreading through my community, and they will be delivering meals to our apartment while cancelling all activities! WOW!
    <3 Buzz
    ...........................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen..............................
  • Gawanne35
    That's not good news BUZZ! A virus spreading. Stay safely inside!
    JACKIE, love the new car and a super colour! However, stay clear of bulls in the English countryside! Just kidding. It's gorgeous! Mark installed a hand rail on my basement stairs about a year ago and it's great especially when hauling the laundry basket with one hand.
    PATSY, I don't enjoy eating out anymore either. At least we know what's going into our food when we cook it ourselves. One of the women at my past firm told me that years before her and her husband owned a restaurant and sorry, but this is disgusting, they discovered their chef spat in any food that was sent back, as in undercooked meat when medium was ordered.
    SANDY, still on a winning streak!
    LIN, I'm so sorry you've lost your craft lady and at such a young age. Good advice, our time is indeed very short. I will try hard to copy you in the kindness department.
    And seeing we are into teapots, here's my mediocre ones.
    Anne.
    q1gmgqecs80q.jpg
  • Gawanne35
    Hello. I've just had an article sent to me that states "half the products sold on Amazon, EBay, Walmart, are suspected fakes".https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketplace-counterfeits-fakes-online-shopping-1.5470639
    Interesting article.
  • linder4866
    edited February 2020
    Hello, another sunny, windy day. It is warming up but the wind is keeping things brisk!

I have made a trip to Trader Joe’s where they did not offer me a refund for the package of cucumbers that went moldy. I showed the produce manager the problem with some of the packages as I now recognize the issue. He just said thanks and he would talk to his stockers about being more careful to not put such packages in stock. Ok.

Then I finally got a haircut. My stylist (ha) just got back from Malaysia a couple of weeks ago. He said no discussion there of the virus etc. Most conversation centered around the helicopter crash. Quite a stack of hair on the floor when he finished.

I was going to run another errand but decided to just come home. Never do today what you can do tomorrow. Haaaaa.

Jackie, I love the new car! Wahoo. What a coincidence, my friends picked up their new vehicle yesterday as well. A red, not bright red, Nissan SUV. They are thrilled to move away from the minivan to the SUV. Apparently they no longer have a need to pack up lots of things as they are no longer showing dogs or hauling around agility equipment. So two friends with new vehicles and both red! Wahoo!

Buzz, I hope the virus quarantine is over soon but thank heavens for an abundance of caution. Hope you are feeling well and that you haberdashery everything you need delivered to you.

Anne, nice teapots! None of the photos I posted were of my own teapots. Just lovely things that are far too grand for me. Hope your grocery order is just what you ordered and nothing spoiled! Enjoy your day. And by the way, Amazon lets all sorts of sellers onto their platform, they give you no assurance of what those people are selling to you. I try to find Amazon items so I can complain if things don’t seem right, harder all the time!

Sandy, Thursday sounded like a nice planned day. Hope all went well. What’s up today? How is the puppy by the way? All grown up now?

Patsy, ooooh, signs of spring in your area. Brings hope to all of us.

Judy, are you okay?

Hello Diane, Karen, Marcella, and the rest of our Sneakers.

Hugs.

Lin

• linder4866
    jrdw7tui01c1.jpeg

Sorry, just cannot stop. ❤️❤️
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,274 Member
    Happy Friday! :) Lots of sunshine today while I am doing laundry, going to pay some bills and basically get caught up on computer. I am sitting for Charlie later as the parents and the boys are going to a school dance from Robby's preschool. Should be cute. <3

Anne, I wouldn't buy a high end product from any of those sites. I buy mostly toys and my over the counter pills with an occasionally item of clothing, like the $10 swimdress I just bought. Also I bought my George Foreman grills from Amazon but if they are knock offs I really don't care because they work for me. Is there anything honest in this world? I still look for the good in everyone which probably makes me naive.

Lin, Ewok the puppy is still a wild thing. lol He is getting better but still needs work on his manners and jumping on people. I think when they go to Florida he will be put back in bootcamp to get some more training. He is getting big now but oh so cute!!

Buzz, yes, please stay in your apartment and order in everything you need. Hopefully taking the precautions will help everyone stay well.

Have a great day everyone, I hope the sun is shining.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    Another busy day but satisfying. It began with one of my long walks with the pooches to the top moor in a freezing and strong wind. Halfway I almost turned back I was so cold but George and Betty were having such a great time chasing about I kept going. Glad I did because the exercise definitely did me some good after all the short walks during our recent stormy weather. The chicken house motor that wasn’t working has been dismantled and replaced with one that operates via a light sensor. It certainly worked fine when I tested it but I’ll go out and check it has closed once dark. I then attempted to replace the calor gas regulator but found the old one had seized up and no amount of force would move it. Luckily my neighbour came round to help and chose science over muscle by heating the bolt with my hairdryer to expand the metal and that worked a treat! My feet are blocks of ice having been outside so long but a cup of tea and roaring fire will soon warm them.

Sandy, my new car has to be transferred from another dealer because there aren’t an awful lot in this country, especially the red I chose, so they get moved around as and when needed. I hope to pick it up March 1st or 2nd. Yes, I will definitely be trading in my old car because there is a current offer of £5000 discount if I do plus it’s value, although that isn’t much because it’s so old but it all helps. They also offered to pay 1 year road tax as well as a year’s breakdown recovery and a full tank of fuel and it all added up to about 1/3rd discount! It could be that European manufacturers are trying to sell as many as possible before higher tariffs come into effect when we finally leave the EU. Whatever the reason, I’m delighted! 😄

Nearly dark outside so I will go and see if the hens’ new door has shut.
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    P.S. I meant to ask Buzz to please take great care and do as asked to avoid whatever that virus is. ❤️❤️
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    The light sensor automatic door worked a treat so whoopee, hopefully no more sliding down my currently muddy garden early in the morning! 🐓🐓

I promised I wouldn’t bang on about Amazon but have to tell you the gas regulator I purchased at the hardware store was half the cost of the one I was about to buy listed on Amazon until I saw that tv documentary about them. It also came with a big smile, some social chat and plenty of advice on keeping the new piece in good order... a great reminder of what’s important to me.

I’m sure I can hear something moving in the dogs’ toy basket. Hopefully nothing on 4 legs brought in by Brady!! 😧😮😲
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Wow Lin, a coffee set to make your head spin! Incredible nonetheless so keep them coming. 😉
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello dear ones! A sunny but cold day. I am thrilled to see the sun. Things are popping up everywhere. I see more wild daffodils and (gasp!) a dandelion. Youve got to love those hardy little weeds. If only things that I plant were even half as reliable. As a kid, my mom used to put some young dandelion greens in spring salads. She also put a blossom right in the middle of our Sunday pancakes. I thought they looked so wonderful, but actually didn’t taste all that good.

Today I will try to do a bit more spring cleaning. Still taking down lace curtains and washing them. That is done window at a time because I use that opportunity to wash inside window and wax the windowsills. Spring does something to us all. We want to clean out and rearrange and begin fresh. How great is that? Also I want to spend a bit of time in the dungeon this evening. John will protest, I know, but I am not up for watching another movie with car chases and explosions, Johns favorite kind.
    Scallops on angel hair pasta and mixed greens salad for dinner.

Still doing my exercises in my dungeon using the ballet bar as support. My dungeon is such a mess but houses a collection of things I like. I clear out debris regularly but somehow things never really get neater or better organized.

Jackie: John said he really liked your new car. Great styling. He said he didn’t know much about French cars but their styling is superior. So glad you chose that red! There really is no other choice. It is important to make a fashion statement where ever possible! George and Betty will look very grand riding in that car.

Lin: your teapots are so much fun. I am going to try to show you some of my teapots. I have more than any one person should have. And I rarely drink tea.

Buzz: stay away from those evil viruses. Great music, pbs programs, phone calls, play games, crossword puzzles on line, order stuff you have been thinking about! Anything to keep those viruses away from you. We don’t want you to get sick. I still have confidence in Bloomberg. No, he doesnt have a warm and fuzzy personality but he is incredibly philanthropic.

Anne: I think eBay, Amazon etc are okay. The onerous ones are the people who put knockoffs for sale through these markets. We are supposed to do our own research and as the Greeks said, only in Latin...let the buyer beware!

Our sun just disappeared behind high thin clouds. Katie wants in after a romp in the back yard and she has a huge stick in her mouth, muddy feet and dirt on her nose. As so goes life here in our neck of the woods...
    Patsy☘️

• delraybuzz
    Bump, bump, bump~ No, I did not escape, nor did many other people, but after a vicious 2.5 hours starting around 7 AM, I dragged myself back to bed, where I slept ALL DAY!!! Nurse left me bottles of ginger ale, Gatorade Bananas, saltines, etc. but mostly I slept through everything . Everything I drank at supper time I just gave up! I will go to bed dreaming of JACKIE'S new RED CITROEN!
    <3 Buzz
    ...........................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen.............................<
  • pinkperil
    Oh no Buzz! Something you eat do you think or a real virus? I suppose after what you’ve just been through identifying the culprit is the least thing on your mind. Sleep tight lovely lady and please feel a whole lot better when you awake. I’m waving my magic wand! ❤️🧚🏻‍♂️🧚🏻❤️

A narrow window of dry weather and we’ve walked on the muddy moors so both pooches required a session in their Ikea baby bath, I’ve had a coffee and piece of Kitkat to aid my diet (huh!) and am now going to muck out the hen house. Their door was open before I got up this morning so wonderfuI, I don’t have to drag myself down the garden at the crack of dawn.

Happy Saturday everyone.
    Jackie