Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    On our walk just now a rather skinny young fox ran past us with a rabbit in its mouth. Someone's eating breakfast today.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Happy Sunday and/or Father's Day! <3 I have been to my virtual mass this morning and later I will be going to Rob and Lisa's for a cook out with Lisa's parents and Bryanna. We social distance (except for the kiddos) and stay outside. I am looking forward to seeing everyone. The weather is perfect so I hope it remains that way for our Father's Day celebration.

I am not sure I could do the 16/8 fasting but it sounds interesting. It has worked for Bob for sure and I think Jackie did some sort of fasting on and off if I remember. I am sure Bob does some sort of exercise as well correct Bob?

Have a wonderful day and stay safe which is my goal as well.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    A pretty tea set Lin in what I remember as 1950’s colours. Of course saucers were always handy back then to sit a sugar lump on but oh dear, white sugar not allowed now even though people were slimmer in spite of it. Of course they stuck to an everything in moderation rule back then in Britain following rationing!
    Only recently I bought a pack of cauliflower rice to try as an accompaniment and did enjoy it but will make my own next because so called healthy food is always more expensive and the one I purchased would have covered the cost of 3 cauliflowers.
    I enjoyed a 2 mile walk with the dogs across the moors earlier then managed some gardening planting some of the cuttings I’ve collected. Afterwards I drove to the allotment to meet up with my neighbours so we could finish the last weeding jobs and came home with a couple of baby Purple turnips and a beetroot. The weather has cleared to blue skies and warm sunshine which means my longest day can extend into gardening this evening.

Wow Lin, I’m nowhere near finished with my jigsaw because at the moment I only pause briefly as I pass through the conservatory, place a couple of pieces if I’m lucky and move on! Yours is a delightful picture that includes George five in from the left. 😆 Well done so what’s next?

I must finish my cuppa then prepare a haddock fish cake with steamed veggies. Bob’s menus have me thinking I must be more inventive but skipping breakfast won’t work for me as I need my porridge energy to climb the moors!

Have a good Sunday everyone. Stay safe and healthy. Special hugs for Buzz 🥰❤️❤️
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Sandy, I had missed your post over the page. Yes, the 5/2 diet worked for me so 2 days a week I only eat 500 calories. Perhaps I need to get back to it because even maintaining seems a struggle during lockdown. I did manage to avoid the temptation of a chocolate and caramel shortbread talking to me at the farm shop earlier when I stopped for milk!
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,364 Member
    Good afternoon, I have managed some household chores and cleaning and attended online church. I have some worked lined up on my countertop for the 4th of July cards. Need to finish so I can put it away and get my space back.

Jackie, the puzzle will remain out for a few days so I can enjoy it. I am not certain what the next puzzle will be. I am not ready to make a commitment. ☺️ You are a very busy person so a few pieces once in a while sound perfect. I have purchased both riced cauliflower and riced broccoli. But most often I purchase a frozen veggie mix that has riced cauliflower as a main ingredient. I wouldn’t want to chop it or run it through a food processor. Brave woman!

Sandy, what a lovely plan for your day. Enjoy yourself. The movie you watched is one I have heard of but have never watched. I would imagine it was a hit with the kids.

Anne, best wishes with IF. I did that for a while. Ultimately it did not work well for me as my activities changed and I was not home at lunchtime and most mornings included some exercise. Well, what a sight, a fox dragging home breakfast/lunch.

Barbie, Jake likes to cook and making healthy food and talking to Alexa sound engaging. I hope you have the storage situation worked out. I make coffee and tea for myself but never a pot of either beverage. I have a pour over mug for making coffee and it is in the cupboard when I am not using it. My favorite tea mug is always out though. I make cold brew teas, my favorite is Pomegranate and Hibiscus. The other is primarily green tea with a bit of oolong. They both take refrigerator space as I make them in glass bottles. Handy and delicious. I don’t know why I just shared all of that but I do hope your DH gets lots of use from his new system as well as lots of satisfaction in discovering how to use it.

Patsy, hello. I would imagine you are busy with your special Father’s Day celebration. Enjoy.

Buzz, sending best wishes to you ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

A little wacky thing, one of the groups I follow on Facebook shares weird things they find in secondhand shops. One theme is the hunt for a House Hippo. I have never actually questioned anyone about it but today, I happened to find out. It is the Canadian House Hippo and kind of a cult thing. The Canadian House Hippo was featured in a PSA about not believing everything that you see, etc. so I had to look.

https://youtu.be/NBfi8OEz0rA

Only a short PSA if you are interested. Probably not. 😂🤣😂

Be well, be safe.

Hugs.

Lin
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Anne & Sandy –
    Re: exercise – I walk every single day. Before the virus quarantine I strived for those 10,000 steps (mostly treadmill at gym) and had also gotten into light weight Nautilis (#50 limit per cardiologist b/c of heart issues) – can’t wait to get back. I have been walking out doors daily during “quarantine” but steps are usually about 6000 and almost nothing on my home dumbbells… Very fortunate on my Blink gym…great facility, super clean and I use Silver Sneakers program.

AS for IF -- This is totally FYI just in case you have any interest.
    There is ton of info avail on IF – but I found “something” to take away from each of these -

Intermittent fasting for beginners
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

Dr. Eric Berg DC
    https://www.youtube.com/user/drericberg123/search?query=fasting

Dr. Becky Gillaspy
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDI1UamF_gYPizV-R3LKjtw

Dr. Cywes the #CarbAddictionDoc
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk4Mk7vArjSYBa1VKv9-chA

Dr. Mindy Pelz
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4cNjUPc2gQKucX3hLUayYQ

Health and Wellness with Violet
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWWP3GaAfTcpGX42fankArQ

Off to my daughters for some Fathers day treats! Have a great night! Bob
  • pinkperil
    edited June 2020
    It was a blustery walk on top of the moors this morning but still enjoyable. I wore my summer hat to keep my messy hair out of my face and did laugh when I saw my reflection in the car window.... I look like the old ladies I used to often bump into and chat to when walking before lockdown so that means I've become one myself! :s

I'm sipping my coffee waiting for my washing to finish its cycle in my neighbour's machine. What a relief to at least get one load out of the way but towels and bedding can wait as I have plenty of both to keep changing. The same neighbour suggested I call the shop I bought the washing machine at and ask them to sort out the problem as they have engineers. She said I must put on a helpless senior in lockdown act. Hmmm, we'll see about that!

Lin, I loved Peter Pan you posted but didn't have time to finish so now of course I can't get back in. What I did see was a wonderful production and I was especially fascinated by the acting talents of the dog that played Nana.... definitely the star of the show! The Canadian house hippo gave me a big smile too and I'm thinking of forwarding it to my ex-gardener even though it's aimed at children as she keeps emailing me unwanted nonsense spouted on facebook. :D

George is barking at the wind but I can't be cross because it is rather noisy. Time to pop next door to collect my laundry so see you all later. Have a good Monday whatever plans are afoot and stay safe. <3

Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Early, sleepy good morning hello from me, but I want to thank BOB for the info which I've started to read but will finish later..

You will have to bring out ALL your talents JACKIE to look helpless! Virtually impossible I would think!

I had all the family over yesterday in the garden! Except Bev who was in Ottawa visiting her Dad for Father's Day with her sisters. Derek is creating an interesting looking video game now he is out of work! Oh, and he and Bev are moving back to Oakville which makes granny here VERY happy.

Sandy's daughter has three very small children but she is sewing masks in the evening for a manufacturer. Sandy's agreed to take some of the giant bag of flour in exchange for the seed spuds she sent me. They are peeping through the soil already.

However horrible the coronavirus is, it seems to be having a positive effect on my life.

Must away to shower and NO breakfast BOB. I don't know if I will last longer than a day though. Tum already growling!

Anne.
  • linder4866
    Hello, Royal Albert today.

sjzssc9bsop8.jpeg

❤️❤️
  • linder4866
    Back again. The service appointment for my heating/cooling system is over. He was here an hour and a half checking everything out but cannot find why there is a squeak once in a while. He said it may be a bearing but it is not a consistent issue so must just wait for it to get worse. At that point the the unit will register error codes. I have sprayed and wiped things down. Now I could use a new can of Lysol which is impossible to find.

We had about 1.5 inches of rain last night and a bit of hail. There are shredded bits of tomato leaves on the deck and my best and tallest tomato plant took a direct hit and lost its top. The damaged top was hanging by a bit of stem this morning. 🥺

Jackie, it is great that you were able to get a load of laundry done at your neighbor’s home. It would be better for someone to come to service your washer. Warranty is great but people need to be available to take care of problems. And I am sorry you weren’t able to watch all of Peter Pan. I agree, the dog was great. Unfortunately the dog’s part was not large enough to suit me. 😁

Anne, wow, what a gathering you had yesterday. Must have been fun. And wahoo, Derek coming back to Oakville. Yippee! Wishing him well on the video game.

Bob, I hope you had a happy time at your daughter’s home. 😄

Buzz, good morning ❤️❤️❤️

Barbie, hope you are having nice weather today.

Sandy, waving hello. We have more rain on the way. It is very overcast now. Is it coming your way?

Patsy, how did the celebration go yesterday?

Jeanne, where are you??

Waving to Jeri and Diane and all our other Sneakers.

Best wishes for health and happiness.

Long distance hugs.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Happy Monday! :) I just erased my post by clicking on one of Bob's links, thanks Bob. (jk)
    I am being lazy today as I had so much fun at my son's yesterday for Father's Day. Good food, good company and good conversations. I ate like a horse and lost weight today which makes me think I am not eating enough carbs. I will have to check this out to see if I am doing something wrong by counting calories and carbs. We move into phase 4 on Friday but I doubt I will change anything. Our meeting is talking about meeting in person but a lot of us still want zoom as the rules are very strict. I am comfortable with what I am doing now and will continue until I really feel safe.

Lin, no storms for us last night but rain is predicted for today and the next couple of days. right now the sun is shining. I have an eye appointment on Friday and hoping that wearing a mask will protect me. I also have a Comcast tech coming next week which is still making me nervous about someone in my house. Some day I hope to be comfortable again with some sort of normal. Loved the house hippo, so funny.

Anne, I am glad you had a great Father's Day with family. I presume your Father's Day is the same day as ours? You almost confused me when you started with Sandy has three young children. lol

Jackie, I agree with your neighbor, I use the I am a senior card a lot. It doesn't always work but worth the try. lol

Bob, I envy the people who love to walk, not my thing. I have my fitbit set for 5000 steps and I am lucky if I do that, which is why I ride my recumbent bike.

Hello to everyone else, I really have to do something besides sitting at my computer. Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • NikonPal
    Lin / Sandy – Had a great time with the grandkids…I was given some presents and broke out the painting rock kit. All 7 of us joined in. I know lots of grandparents say this – but the 3 grandchildren and their parents are amazing. The love, kindness and respect they show each other just blows us away with each passing year. They do so much as a family…tons of outdoor activities from hiking to swimming to a zillion games. I could go on for pages but will spare you. It was great to be “in person” vs. the ZOOM birthday and holiday parties. We couldn’t attend one granddaughters dance recital on the weekend because of restrictions. Our grandsons play was cancelled after months of practice. Today was “graduation” for the youngest granddaughter who was moving from pre-school to kindergarten… it was a “drive-thru” ceremony and again…it could only be parent and child. I saw a pic and it was funny. Can’t wait til this is over.

My daughter asked what kind of desert I wanted for Fathers Day… I told her I had wanted to try Rebel Ice Cream “Rebel Ice Cream is the lowest net carb ice cream on the market. Its healthy fats and zero sugars will allow you to indulge in creamy, full-fat ice cream without the negative impacts of sugar.”
    It was delicious.
    kzns7v5mg1gu.jpg

Sandy – Go figure – I can last about 15 minutes tops on a bike etc and that’s about it. It is like they say… you have to find what works for you as an individual and will stick with. I don’t even look at the clock. I put my headset on and count the number of songs not minutes. I listen to a wide variety…it can be Queen/Rolling Stones one minute, George Strait/Glenn Campbell, then Johnny Mathis/Righteous Brothers, the Mavericks and much more. I lose myself and time completely in the music and set my tempo accordingly. Sorry about the link LOL.
    Off to do a few things before bed. Bob

• NikonPal
    Lin / Sandy - I was just signing off and saw a pic from last month… there was a car caravan birthday celebration for the youngest grandchild turning 5. It was “May” and it actually snowed! Love them! They don't post on pics on FB etc but I feel ok with this one. LOL They are a ton of fun. a7dfiekep9cp.jpg
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    My posts keep disappearing. My iPad? MFP? Eclipse? Tomorrow....
    Patsy☘️
  • Gawanne35
    Me as well! Gremlins are back? A.
  • pinkperil
    edited June 2020
    Been shopping after a short walk so again stocked up ready for anything! Still avoiding meat after my 2 new cow friends headed for the abattoir a few months ago and feeling a lot healthier for it. Cauliflowers were small and expensive so I indulged in the packs I mentioned. Also received order of organic soya mince, enough to last to the end of time!!
    nd0zb053ip8l.jpg

The local electrical store was extremely helpful and they've booked an engineer to visit my washing machine Thursday morning. Didn't have to try the vulnerable senior in lockdown card as he jumped right in before I finished explaining my problems contacting Bosch saying that as a dealer they were there to help. 😁

Need to sit in sunshine with my coffee but hopefully back later.
    Have a good day and stay safe.
    Jackie
  • NikonPal
    Glorious morning! At 5am already was in the 70’s and got my walk done. Might do a 2nd one.

HAPPY 67th Birthday Cindi Lauper (Cynthia Ann Stephanie Lauper)! Years ago I took these photos of Cindi (not exactly the best). The guy with the sax is Eddie Money… he died last year. I wanted to get her autograph and knew sending to a fan club would be useless. So I sent them to her actor husband to pass along etc. with no expectations. Then… a long time later I went to the mailbox & there they were…each one autographed. I sent a thank you.

Today I plan to cook some steaks on the grill…whatever I do will be before 2pm… then crash for the day. HAPPY TUESDAY TO ALL and Stay cool!

Jackie – I must say I love riced cauliflower and have it several times a week incorporating and seasoning it into many recipes! Yum!
    eqz5fz5dttny.jpg
  • Gawanne35
    I've never seen riced veggies in the stores here! Maybe not looking for them though seeing I had never heard of them! Mikes friend who works for the surgeon thinks we should stock up on food before the winter and the next shut in! Hope she's being pessimistic! Anne.
  • linder4866
    Good morning.

Jackie, I have never seen riced sweet potatoes. Just the cauliflower and broccoli. Hummmm if I ever get back into grocery stores again, I will look. I have never really taken to the vegan meat substitutes. My favorite is firm sprouted tofu. Let us know how you like the crumbles.

Bob, wahoo, love the Cindy Lauper autograph story as well as the photos. 🙌🏻 I remember Eddie Money as well. Enjoy the steak. Now did the ice cream live up to expectations? Or simply did you like it? I found some vegan ice cream that I like but the ingredients are not the best so I hope to not order it often. 😄. Beautiful May photo. Really? Snow? Yipes. Love the cute pink tights, gloves, and hat on the birthday girl.

Anne, yes, I have heard the same thing. Stock up a bit. But who knows. I sure do not.

Hugs all round.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Morning teapot, a highly colorful choice!

iuzffx6146el.jpeg

❤️❤️