Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    edited June 2020
    (Hi JACKIE, I got up at 5:30 but now I'm under my blankie again. BEAN.)

And I feel like crawling under with her! Should be an interesting day though. Michael might be over and an exciting car ride (for Bean anyway) to the Organic garage. No sign of him going back to work again and Mr Trudeau has extended the monthly benefit for another two months. Goodness knows where all this free (but taxable) cash is coming from! Whatever, I'm enjoying his company and someone to walk with because the Bean is far too busy sniffing every blade of grass for serious conversation.

I wonder what the new plant is Jackie? Be sure to let us know.

We are about to embark on another heatwave but that's okay because I will huddle inside, type, and fill Tony in with some family history he isn't aware of. As he charmingly put it, you're the last of the old crowd and when you fall off the twig it will be lost forever. So I guess I am still of some use! Helen won't remember because she was only four (myself nine) at the time he wants to know about.

I think I've been with this group for nine years now. Maybe more. That's because at the beginning I kept getting in a mess with this iPad and had to keep starting over and over with new names. So I don't really know how many posts I've actually done. Not about to find out because I'm sure to mess things up again and start with yet another new name but I guess you would all recognize Bean.
    BOB, you used to give us interesting breakfast ideas - any more to share?

Off to skip for a shower, tra lah lah.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    edited June 2020
    Happy Thursday! :) Another hot day, but for now I have my windows open. I have my meeting today and then maybe I will take a ride to the bank to deposit my check. I might stop at the post office to ask about returning an item to China which was wrong but they won't give me a refund unless I return it at my own expense which is just wrong. Pay pal said I can claim up to $30 for return postage so if I can send it for that amount I will. The thought of going in the post office scares me but I will wear a mask and stay away from people.

Anne, you should have one of the boys make a video of you talking about the old days. Babe's sister in law did that with his dad and it is such a great memory. Enjoy your day with Michael if he does come, I know that always makes you happy.

Jackie, we all have such exciting days don't we?? You have plenty to keep you busy as long as the weather cooperates.

Barbie, we are grateful you are back with us at least until you are able to dance again.

Bob, I am a slow learner which is why I am here so long. Actually I love our little group and would miss everyone too much if I left MFP. I did not log in continually for ten years but when I miss days I ask for them back. I reached my goal once, but now again 3 pounds away which seems like it is never going to happen especially during a pandemic.

Lin, really love the flowers more than the tea pot but it is a nice pot.

Time to move. Have a wonderful day and stay safe.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    :)Sandy, awhile ago you mentioned that your car insurance company was giving you credit or a refund or something since you're not driving your car as much lately. That inspired me to call our insurance company about that and sure enough, they lowered the premium that is due next month. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

:) Our post office has plexiglass in front of the clerks, marks on the floor telling how far apart to stand in line, and a sign with suggested guidelines about masks and distancing. I go occasionally with a mask, use hand sanitizer when I get back in the car and wash my clothes and shower when I get home. I wear a washable jacket with pockets so I can carry what I need and not carry my purse.

:) Off to work in the yard.

<3 Barbie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,364 Member
    Hello, I made several trips today for curbside pickup and did a bit of extra driving to try to charge up the battery in my Hybrid car. The battery seems low today. Anyway, got my one prescription. No more refills. They want me to come in for a full appointment and blood work. I do not want to go but may be forced to go as I cannot ditch this Rx. I had all of my thyroid removed so must have a replacement med. This afternoon I called the local hardware store and drove over to pick up a few organic plant fertilizer spikes. Those are now in the pots with rain expected.

Bills to pay (from the mail yesterday), still reading that same book slowly and also working on the puzzle a little bit at a time. I am finding making progress on the puzzle is pleasing but no race is necessary. I am in several jigsaw puzzle groups on Facebook. I find there are many people who time themselves with each puzzle they assemble. That is not for me. It amazes me how competitive people are with everything.

Sandy and Barbie, I did not call my insurance company as I am with the same company as you Sandy. I will be pleased with a discount if it materializes. 😃

Barbie, your post office sounds well equipped. That makes a more comfortable atmosphere. A friend of mine has a post office box rather than home delivery. (Not the same post office I go to, she lives in a different suburb). Her late husband insisted on it to keep their mail safe. Anyway, she has been going in for her mail a couple of times a week all through this pandemic. She has also shopped in store at both a grocery store and a drug store weekly and has had all regular service /maintenance in her home performed as usual. Haircut and dentist’s appointment as well. Only once did she seem a bit nervous. A service person called her several days after working on her sump pump. He became ill late in the afternoon on the day her worked in her house. She just checked her temperature more often but did nothing different. She stayed healthy. She never found out if he had covid -19. It was early on and there was hardly any testing or contact tracing.

Well, was not that boring? Sorry. ☺️

Here’s the current state of my puzzle.

yssdqo1s7aqa.jpeg

Anne, tell lots of great store is. You have the knack!

Sandy, I wouldn’t try to pursue the return most likely unless there is a lot of money involved.

Jackie, another day of hard work for you.

Hello to everyone I have missed.

Wishing you another day of health and happiness

Linda 🙋🏼‍♀️

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello dear ones! We have a warm sunny day here. Not a cloud to be seen. Might be able to work on painting yet another deck chair. There are eight in total and a large table. As I said, my hope is to finish before the winter rains come again.

This sheltering in place has put a spotlight on individual personality differences. I really miss seeing people, in person, face to face. I am a true southern belle who has to give friends and family a tight hug and a kiss and pinch on the cheek. Not sure how on earth I am going to change a lifetime habit that runs deep into my DNA. John came from a reserved rather uptight family. Physical displays of affection were rare. WELL! After we got married and he was thoroughly hugged regularly, he is now a hugger just like the rest of my family. He is also anticipating that we all need a vaccine ASAP because He hugs all family just like I do. Otherwise we will all come down with this virus together.

For father’s day, John and I sat down with iPads in hand and he picked out several TV crime fighter series to order. Wow! Car chases and explosions.......I can see that I will be finding other activities while these are going on. What have I done?😝😝😝😝😝😝😝😝😝

Enjoy the day, my lovely friends,
    Patsy☘️

• Gawanne35
    Well I did go to the Organic Garage and found everything I wanted and then the mishap. I'm at the checkout and everyone behind me is keeping their distance in an orderly fashion. I have placed all my groceries on the conveyor belt. I placed one plastic box of blueberries on top of another plastic box of blueberries. The young cashier presses the button for the conveyor to trundle forward but it shoots forward instead and off shoots my blueberries into space. Blueberries everywhere! People are trying to avoid getting squashed blueberries on their shoes. Blueberries are on the plexiglass, blueberries are on me! So much for social distancing! I shouldn't be let out and especially during a pandemic.
    That's it folks, today's mishap.

Bean is all worn out. Lots of walks with Mike have her hiding under her blanket again. Just the occasional yip when a dog walks by.

I shouldn't have to go to the Organic Garage next week. Maybe they will have forgotten me the next time I go. The mask helped!

Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Anne 😂😂🤣🤣
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    😆😆😂 That’s so funny Anne. When I worked at a supermarket years ago I was amazed how many people would stand bottles of wine up on the conveyor belt and then have to try to catch them as they tipped or flew off when the belt moved! 🤭

This morning’s walk was early and in the rain but then the sun came out just as we got home! The oven cleaning man arrived just after 9 and worked miracles. He parked at the end of the footpath and was able to access the kitchen through the back door so no distancing problems. We had an interesting chat while he cleaned and I heard all about his family and why they moved to Cornwall a couple of years ago. Like Patsy commented, it’s the social Interacting I’m missing while shut away as Skype and the phone aren’t quite the same. My next conversation will be a brief one in the Vets’s car park this afternoon when I pick up Betty’s diet kibble although I may talk to my neighbour through the hedge at some point! I’ve mentioned my washing machine problem and she offered the use of theirs so I won’t stress about it even though I’m missing being able to clear laundry with hardly a thought. That goes to prove I shouldn’t take modern conveniences for granted as I remember my mother spending every Monday hand washing, scrubbing, boiling and pushing it all through a wringer!!

For some reason I’m struggling with my new jigsaw and seem to spend an age on one small section but you’re right Lin, there’s no rush. Perhaps Brady has hidden pieces!!

Back to my kitchen where an oven tray has been left in the sink covered with oven cleaner that I now need to clean off. It had been left on the bottom of the oven forgotten until I checked first thing but wasn’t included in the main job so it’s the least I can do, especially as the oven is so sparkling now!

Where has this week gone? Another Friday so have a safe one dear friends. If it remains dry I shall potter in the garden.
    Jackie

• pinkperil
    Oh yes, after reading about Lin’s friend I meant to comment that our dentists were closed during lockdown and now only accept emergencies which entail extractions. There were some horrendous stories about people in so much pain they pulled their own teeth! I missed a check up back in April and think I’ll be lucky to get an appointment this year. Hairdressing is still a no-no too but hopefully mine will be given permission to open her salon early July.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    Hello, teapot once again. The poster had lots to say.

“ Vintage 1980s/90s T.G. Green Cornishware Classic teapot. I have been after a vintage Cornishware teapot for quite a while, they seem to be hard to come by. I already had a new Cornishware 'Small Betty' teapot, but I felt it was a little too small, I like teapots to have a bit of weight behind them, this one certainly has! My camera can't seem to capture the right shade of blue in this shot, just imagine the blue a tad paler if you could please!”

c4xij1neefr0.jpeg

❤️❤️
  • Gawanne35
    Washing machines, ah! My first machine bought in 1959 lasted for 16 years that I know of after my mother inherited it from me on our emigration and my Auntie Kathie inherited it from her. Don't know what happened after her death. My made in China machines over here, well I'm on my fifth! China sure knew what they were doing! Easy money from us "rich" folk in the west! I'm washing my blueberry stained shirt right now! Amongst other things.

Mike is on his way to his dentist for a check up so I guess everything is slowly opening. I need a check up but will leave my teeth alone for now!

Hot, sizzling walk today, but it didn't stop my hunter dog chasing the bunnies in the garden on our return. Same size, the little terror!

Enjoy your A/C today if you need it! Hope mine wasn't made in China. It's an old lady of four years!

Anne.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    :) I got my first washing machine and clothes dryer in 1980 with the small house I bought. This was the first time I'd had a washer and dryer that I didn't have to share with others (dorm, apartment, etc.). I was so grateful to have them. Right away I volunteered to do laundry for my grandmother who was in a nursing home. I did her laundry and visited her twice a week to pick up and deliver until she died in 1986. I have not lost my gratitude for having a washer and dryer in my house. During our RV summers, I was reminded of that when I had to use shared laundry rooms in RV parks. We have never had any that were top of the line and in several cases, they've been the ones that were already in houses we bought. I've loved them all and speak lovingly and kindly to them when I use them.

<3 Barbie
  • linder4866
    edited June 2020
    Hello friends. It was a night of losing sleep last night with much thunder (and rain of course). Earlier, with no storms around, somewhere fireworks were being shot off for quite a long time. It is legal to possess fireworks in this suburb but you are not allowed to set them off in city limits. So either a bunch of lawless citizens or some type of celebration. Anyway, I was not eager to get charging about early this morning.

Before I forget, Anne, although I am not in a store to make a mess, I do so at home more frequently lately. I poured hot coffee on myself last week, yesterday I was going to have a few rice crackers and I had just pulled a few from the tray when the whole tray went flying. Crackers all in bits over the kitchen floor. So, no crackers, just a mess to clean up. That was the end of the package of course. 🤣

This morning I was preparing my pour over coffee cup when I tipped over the top section. Well, there went the carefully measured dry ground coffee. I flipped it back over and quite a mess but luckily it had landed on a towel so I shook out the lost coffee and started over. Darn!

My mom always said something like - what a klutz. Does anyone use that word these days? I do things that fit the description.

My current washing machine is the one I got when I purchased this house in 1995. So you see why I am treating it so carefully. The first washing machine I got was when I got married but it was not new, it was a very old Maytag my dad found for a little of nothing. It didn’t last long on the farm but it got us started. I had to go to the laundromat for a few years so I do appreciate having a washing machine.

It is muggy here today but not so hot, only the mid-70’s. More rain is expected on and off for the next few days. Plans for the next few days, work on cards, tidy up a bit, keep on with some cooking and veggie prep, puzzle and reading. I know, so exciting!

Jackie, the oven cleaning sounds wonderful. I just leave mine as is. I use the countertop oven more often, and I do try to clean it up a bit from time to time.

A friend and I have been joking about the our lives. I had been saying I was about 85% feral at this point, but I may have tipped the scale to 100%.

All healthy and happy wishes sent your way.

Lin ❤️🙋🏼‍♀️❤️

• Sandydur
    Happy Friday! :) MFP wouldn't let me type anything this morning thus the late post.
    Hot day again but Friday is laundry day and tonight is movie night in the kiddos backyard.
    Lisa's parents are back from Florida so it will be nice to see them with social distancing.
    Really nothing else exciting going on and it is almost time to ride my bike.
    Have a great day and stay safe.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    I am constantly amazed at the cultural differences between UK and USA. I read with astonishment and envy when you told us about the oven cleaning man. Oh that alone made me want to pack up move next door to you , Jackie! That and the mobile dog groomer, window washers, in home pedicures! In the main, there are some locations with services like that. But they are few and far between. I am stuck doing those things myself and doing a poor job, if truth be told.

I am planning a tiny father’s day celebration for John. He will like it I think....coupled with calls from the family, dinner and a handmade card, his gift of dvds. I need some of Lin’s amazing talent for card designs. Mine is looking rather dodgy. Messy, dopey message and the design looks less than charming. Oh well, giving it a shot, pandemic celebrations aren’t easy to pull off.

This was trash day. Where did all this stuff come from? I guess we are really very trashy people.
    Take care and play nice with others...at least 6 feet away.
    Patsy☘️
  • Gawanne35
    I still miss window cleaners! Actually they were a good source of news, lol. Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Somehow, managed to log in despite no internet! Hi dearest friends; writing from my nursing home bed,where I am dealing with rheumatoid arthritis, gout and several other debilitating conditions .
    Thank you all for your wonderfully welcome cards and wishes.My hands are almost useless so this is truly a miracle.
    Please know I love you! I am in Hospice, which tries to keep me pain free, and mostly is successful!
    Finally got to see my DS today at a visit to a new rheumatologist, where he met me from St Petersburg.
    Once coronavirus allows, my apartment will be permanently changed to my bright new room. The care is excellent.
    My cell is still pretty useless to me, and I'm Struggling to communicate all the business I used to conduct online.
    I'll attempt to pop in again.
    love,
    Buzz
  • pinkperil
    😍😘 Buzz!! Hooray, you've managed to reconnect with us. I can't tell you how delighted I am to see you back with us. Even just a hello to let us know you've popped in is good enough for me for now. 💕💖❤
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Patsy We are very lucky to have a variety of self employed entrepreneurs who spot a market and set themselves up for little finance. Peter the oven cleaner had no more than a hot water heating system in the rear of his van and what he refers to as elbow grease!
    My oven is so spotless and sparkling it acts like a mirror in the kitchen 😁
    egudy4fn68r1.jpg

Back later as must get myself showered and out with the pooches.
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    BUZZ, SO WONDERFUL TO HAVE YOU BACK! Ive so missed your comments! Anne.

JACKIE, do you think Peter the oven man would cross the Atlantic and tackle my 36 year old oven?

Back later, Anne.