• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    He's growing fast Shirley! Cute!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,725 Member
    Options
    Shirley - what a great picture - love Gma! lucky baby!

Amy - sorry you are struggling right now - I know how hard it can be. I struggle with depression and anxiety as well. Am glad you are keeping your appointment - and wish you the best in feeling better. Push on - HUGS!

Jenny - Just think you are another closer to your retirement. I think Rory was only a sophomore when we first started chatting on this thread - and now he's more than half through college and I have a high schooler. what the what? So hot this week. Close to 100 plus a heat index - it's miserable. Warnings for animals, etc - the shop at work is an oven. God bless all these production workers at any of the plants. It's horrible.

Caleb went to the Missoula Children's theatre auditions and got a speaking roll. I think they 'cast' anyone who auditions but 'troll 2' has several separate lines. So happy for him. They rehearse all week and do two shows on Saturday. Sleeping Beauty. Zach has golf and weights and then leaves to be a 'helper' at a His Kids (special needs) camp retreat at Camp Luther on Wednesday. So excited for him to do this experience. I think it will be really good for him to do this - maybe take an edge off some of they typical teenage selfishness and really show him how blessed he is and all the possibilities of how he can really use his gifts. Fingers crossed. I think school starts the week of August 11th - holy crack.

gotta run - still here!!! wishing you on!!!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I can't believe school is starting already. Where is the summer going. I know ours is packed and it is wigging me out.
    A nice Yoga Retreat is what the doctor ordered. Some peace and not so much running around.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Hot here too. My office space has AC but the school hallways, work room, where we eat, bathrooms do not. Makes me tired by the end of the day. Most of my families have AC on at least so far.

Congrats to Caleb for getting a speaking part in the play. How cool is that? Nice Zach gets to work with the kids at camp too. That assists in teens growing up and learning not to take things for granted.

Shirley- you are busy. We like our Gentle Stretch Yoga class. Only two more classes but we will sign up again.

Have to run. Our last play, The Music Man, is tonight. I need to get home and change clothes.

More tomorrow,
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Jenny - The Music Man sounds like a fun. At least a night out and you don't have to worry about AC or work.

I decided to leave tonight for my daugther's and stay overnight so we can get a good start in the morning.
    We have to drive to Kingston, ON and then get on a ferry over to Wolfe Island for the retreat. I just looked at the
    pictures again and it looks so peaceful. Vegetarian food will be served all weekend and there will be a cooking class
    on making vegetarian dishes. They also have their own cookbook. Yoga and meditation will also be part of the weekend.
    They also have kayaking.

Yesterday we signed all the papers with the bank, we were there for 2 1/2 hours. Now we are consolidating all monies
    with one bank for Dave's pensions, RRSP's and such. I will still use my bank TD Bank for my every month deposits of my
    pensions. My RRSP's and any extra money will be sent to the CIBC Bank with the rest of our money. We had to tell
    our current financial guy that we changed. He is a one man show, unlike the bank who have teams of people working
    for them.

Well have to get my walk in and then the hairdresser.

See you when I get back.

Shirley
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Been awhile since I've been on here. I feel like I'm neglecting this site in general and in working out and in eating right. How I lost weight with the way I've been eating is beyond me!

Work is going great. I am so loving what I am doing. The only irritating thing is trying to correct previous people's mistakes they made. This past week the other girl that works in the "office pool" where I am is on vacation. They brought back the girl I replaced for the week. One day this week as I was working on something, and trying to correct it, I muttered how I wanted to clobber some people. She heard me and mentioned it was a little harsh. I didn't say a word to her that she was one of the people that I wanted to clobber! When I've talked to the two lawyers about the things I have found that I needed to correct that she did, they told they didn't need to know, they already knew that and believed me.

Last Saturday I got a last minute ride to go strawberry picking! Literally last minute. I had to change my plans rather quickly, but I wasn't turning down a chance for a ride. I had to make my jam this year! I got lots picked and it only cost me $20.50. Would have cost me over $60 if I got that much in store! I spent Saturday night to Tuesday night making jam. I did two batches on Sunday and neither one of them set!!! I had to re-do them on Monday night. Thankfully that time they set. I ended up with 12 jars. However, one jar is currently making it's way to a certain young man in my life. :) He doesn't know it's coming. It's a surprise. I do need to get more strawberries though. I want enough to give me about a little over a jar a month. (I eat a lot of pb&j). There is someone who sells them (for cheaper then the store) at a corner at the end of my street. I hope they are still there when I get home from work tomorrow. I got home a little later and they were packing up and leaving today when I got home. The best part of the jam was that I found light certo and used that. It takes more strawberries and less sugar then the original certo. When I put the recipe in MFP and calculated out an average of how many servings I should get, it says that it works out to only THREE calories per serving!

I haven't been running all week because I've been making the jam. I should have tonight but I wasn't motivated to go out. One would think that my new sneakers would be motivation but apparently it wasn't. I need to get out tomorrow. I need the motivation and drive to get out and run! Maybe I should lay out all my running clothes before leaving for work, and I should put them on my chair in my living room so I go right there when I get home! Maybe that will motivate me to get out and run!

• mizpaden74
    Options
    yum - strawberry jam - greatness
    the yoga retreat sounds really awesome Shirley - enjoy!

how was the musical Jenny? Caleb's play is tomorrow - he is having such fun - so glad. We pick Zach up sometime tomorrow afternoon as well. It is so hot - I'm sure they're fine - but the mama always has to worry about something.

Work is ugh. Stressful, busy, irritating. You know. work.

My folks might be up for the show so will have to be ready to entertain them and the house is a pit and I haven't been shopping - uck

Caleb is supposed to wear jeans and white t-shirt for the play and none fit last night. It was awful. Well one pair that was Zachs from before Zach slimmed down this spring and they are a 32/32 - Caleb was really upset because obviously he does not have the height for 32 inseam - and the waist barely fits - I knew this was coming and have been trying to get Bernie to help but sigggghhhhh - I think I am going to order a new george foreman (or something similar) to help get protein cooked more quickly in the evenings. I am so tired when I get home and they are always ready to eat immediately maybe that will help me stick to trying to get leaner dinners on the table for them. I had one years ago and hated cleaning it - maybe they are better made now. Have a great weekend lovlies!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    The play was wonderful. Very upbeat, fun music and lots of dancing. The cast was amazing, especially the children. I'm always in awe of young children that get on stage, act, sing and dance. The rest of the cast members were all great and they made it look like so much fun to be acting in this play. We got home late so I was pretty tired. Thursday eve we had a double baby shower for two women I work with. I helped with the shower planning, set up and clean up so I was at my friend's house until after 9pm last night cleaning up. We also had a chaotic and frustrating staff meeting yesterday so we were venting about that after everyone went home. Only a few of us stayed late to help with clean up. The two women made quite a haul of clothing, toys, accessories for nursery, etc.

Ang- Your jam sounds wonderful. Is it freezer jam? My mom use to make strawberry freezer jam. I loved it. I really should try making it sometime. Your relationship must be going well if you sent him your homemade jam! Is it too early to tell if this could be the guy for you?

Marla- I hope the play goes well and you figured out Caleb's pants. The heat here is awful and the air feels wet from the dewpoint.

Shirley- Retreat? Sounds wonderful! Enjoy yourself!

Russ and I went to check on Jeff and Iva's house in the city tonight. I watered plants and we made sure Jeff's car in the alley and the house were ok. No broken pipes, windows, or other problems. We went to an authentic Mexican restaurant and then came home. The traffic drives me crazy! I look forward to moving to a smaller town when we retire. Not sure where yet...

One more week of work and then a week off. Love this schedule!

Have a nice night!
    Jenny
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Oh Shirley the picture is a beauty , Lucky you !

I'm hanging in there ladies it's so busy and so many changes here I really am doing a poor job of keeping up . our company is growing and when I'm in my normal self I still do a poor job keeping up hahaha. they have us collecting insurance and everything with no training so I'm sure I have mucked it up royally this hitch but oh well I gave 100 percent in an environment that needs 200% as in two people so I think it'll be ok.
    I'm sure I told you guys they have extended our services to include a P.A. for seeing sick or injured clients as well as DOT physicals . and they expect me to be the intake for the P.A. as well as taking care my own clients that are scheduled . Theirs are walk-ins of course . I don't think it's working out really well hahaha.

I do several jobs up here that they have staff for in the other offices

front desk employee
    drug testing
    Nurse
    Occupational Health

It's no wonder that I lost it the last two weeks I really think it was just too much .
    I'm on the down slide now with only two nights up here left and I can relax and breath .

I did enjoy reading about you guys while I was losing my mind though .Ha!

Amy

• jrbanta
    Options
    Beautiful weather this weekend. Storm on Friday night but I slept right through it. Temperatures and breeze has been perfect. We bought a pergola with a pull down shade for our deck so we can enjoy it in the evenings. We get the western setting sun from afternoon on and it is way to hot and bright to enjoy the deck. Now it is great! I'll take a picture when I can and post.

We are going to build a fire in our fire table tonight and grill hotdogs and smore's. It's just Russ and I but it will be fun. He will make his wonderful potato salad which we have not had this summer.

Well things to accomplish.
    Amy- glad you get to go home soon. Hang in there!

Jenny
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Jenny - It's cooked jam. The jam I made last Sunday didn't set, so I had to re-do Monday. It set that time! I made another batch today and I seem to be having the same issue. I guess I shouldn't make jam on Sundays! He hasn't got it yet. There was some slight miscommunication with the delivery of it. It's being delivered this week, so he should have it by the end of the week. It is to soon to know if he's the right one.

We got some much needed rain today! I'm glad we did, even if I couldn't get all my walking in today. It's been a good day today. I was in the church nursery tonight. I got to play with a lot of sweet little ones. :) I just hulled and cut some strawberries. My grocery store has them on sale this week for cheaper then the people on the roadside that sell them. (Though it's still more then picking them yourself!) These ones are big ones. I have one box spread out on a baking sheet right now and am freezing them. I have two more boxes in the fridge and want to see if I can pick up 3 more this week. That will give me six boxes (each box is about a quart in size) to put in my freezer. I can have "fresh" local strawberries in the middle of winter!
  • Shirley61
    Options
    I will have to catch up on your lives later. I just got back and have laundry to do.

We got home from the retreat at Shanti Retreat on Wolfe Island in Kingston, ON. It was beautiful there and peaceful. Right on the St. Lawrence River. We arrived on Friday night, we took the 5 pm ferry and wanted the
    2pm but we had some hiccups getting there and I will explain later.

After we arrived on Friday night we had a dinner which was all vegetarian and very delicious. The Nutritionist there is the manager, her name is Lacey and the Yoga and meditation were done by Wendy and Darin the owners.
    We had a meet and greet to get to know the other guests there. We saw a movie on nutrition and Lacey did a talk about that with any questions. Not sure how many people but I would say at least 30 if not more. They had the main house and cabins, two ladies tented, they were sisters I guess to keep the cost down. Saturday morning breakfast was at 7am, a 45 min walk at 8am wit Darin outside the grounds, then Yoga with Wendy. Lunch was after that then a talk on meditation by Darin and a 20 min meditation. We did have some free time in between to do what you wanted. The rooms were nice and large and we had our own bathroom. Another session of Yoga with Darin. We had dinner after that and a workshop with Lacey the Nutritionist. She will be sending me their Newsletter as I gave them my email address. Sunday morning was a light breakfast, meditation walk on the grounds with Darin in a circle. He said this was the largest group they have had. He said we did well, sometimes
    its a train wreck. Yoga with Wendy after that and then a brunch. We didn't stay for the brunch we wanted to
    catch the ferry to get home.

Now I will tell you want happened prior to the retreat.
    I reached Kristina's apt. Thursday night to stay and get a good start on Friday. She was sitting on her steps
    which was unusual. I got out of my car with my bags and proceeded to see her. She had blood on her feet
    and scratches on her arm and a puncture wound on her leg with more scratches. Izzy, her cat, saw another cat
    on the balcony and went crazy and attacked her. It's called REDIRECTED AGGRESSION. Her phone and lap top
    were in the house and Izzy was still hissing with back up. I talked to him threw the screen door so she could
    get her shoes. I got my tablet and she made calls to several organizations to get him out of the apt. she was
    terrified. No luck at all, so we ended at her friend's house and they had company. So the guys went back to
    the apt. with Kristina so she could get her bags, phone and accessories. We later stayed the night at her
    friend's, she was so scared to go back. She had blood on the floor, couch, bathmat, walls etc. Friday morning, we
    took her to the walk in clinic to the doctor and she got antibiotics. So in turn we were late getting the ferry to the
    island but we made it. She did all the activities but by Saturday night her ankle was swollen and red and warm.
    I was concerned but we left it until morning and there was improvement. She skipped Sunday's activity and rested.

So after getting home my husband and our friend Tom, who were up at the cottage fishing, met us at the apt. and got Izzy into the carrier and he is now at the Animal Shelter. He is in quarantine for 10 days and if no rabies, which he was an indoor cat, he can be adopted again. Sad story but had to be done.

On a happier note, she is doing fine now and recuperating. She went to work and cried at the shelter but
    this had to be done. She has also had racoons on the balcony in the past.

Now today I am doing laundry, I had Yoga this morning and trying to catch up on things.

Shirley
  • Shirley61
    Options
    I will read all posts later.

We got home from the retreat at Shanti Retreat on Wolfe Island in Kingston, ON. It was beautiful there and peaceful. Right on the St. Lawrence River. We arrived on Friday night, we took the 5 pm ferry and wanted the
    2pm but we had some hiccups getting there.

After we arrived on Friday night we had a dinner which was all vegetarian and very delicious. The Nutritionist there is the manager, her name is Lacey and the Yoga and meditation were done by Wendy and Darin the owners.
    We had a meet and greet to get to know the other guests there. We saw a movie on nutrition and Lacey did a talk about that with any questions. Not sure how many people but I would say at least 30 if not more. They had the main house and cabins, two ladies tented, they were sisters I guess to keep the cost down. Saturday morning breakfast was at 7am, a 45 min walk at 8am wit Darin outside the grounds, then Yoga with Wendy. Lunch was after that then a talk on meditation by Darin and a 20 min meditation. We did have some free time in between to do what you wanted. The rooms were nice and large and we had our own bathroom. Another session of Yoga with Darin. We had dinner after that and a workshop with Lacey the Nutritionist. She will be sending me their Newsletter as I gave them my email address. Sunday morning was a light breakfast, meditation walk on the grounds with Darin in a circle. He said this was the largest group they have had. He said we did well, sometimes
    its a train wreck. Yoga with Wendy after that and then a brunch. We didn't stay for the brunch we wanted to
    catch the ferry to get home.

Now doing laundry and catching up on things.

Shirley
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Sorry this is on twice, I don't know what happened.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Shirley - sorry about your daughter and having to let go of her cat - sad stuff - I'm sure she will be sad for awhile - but being afraid isn't ok - best wishes and hugs!
    Sounds like your retreat was really nice.

Jenny - The play was wonderful - you would never know they did the auditions on a Monday and the show was Saturday - it was fantastic. Caleb loved the experience and is already talking about next year. Yay!

I did order a griller/griddler thing from Kohls online - it will probably be helpful for Zach too - he announces last night that he is going to eat mainly meat and vegetables and fruit for training purposes. Oy. I better buy a cow. And a pig. I think I am going to have a hard time keeping him fed - with just meat. I also don't think it will last forever - but since it's not an unhealthy goal to eat that way - I will do what I can to support him -

Ang - strawberry jam - yum - we got a jar of raspberry jalepeno in our csa bag - but that doesn't really trip my trigger - just give me strawberry!

Amy - glad you are going to be off soon - hope things even out soon and you feel better -

it was so awful hot last week - much better right now this week - Caleb is at Camp Luther through Friday - so it seems super quiet at home - this is the first year in awhile that both boys haven't gone - Zach decided he was too old - he did go last week for a few days to be 'buddy' and I think that opened his eyes to some things - but I won't lie I really liked it when they both when to camp at the same time - closest thing to a vacation I would get!

Have a great day ladies!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    This summer is going way too fast. At the end of this week I'm off again for one week. Then July is over! Wow! We are finally getting things done in the yard. Russ has been spreading mulch around the shrubs and perennials, our pergola is up and my deck rug arrived tonight. A nice cozy place to sit outside.

Tonight we bought a new "used" truck. Rory will use it at school for the next two years and then when he graduates it will either become Russ' truck or Rory can buy it off us if he needs a car and can afford to finance it. It's a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado LT Off Road in very good condition. I guess these trucks can run for up to 250,000 miles or more, so it has a lot of miles left to use. The interior is nicer than my car with heated seats, leather interior and lots of storage. It has the back seat so it can be used as a second vehicle if we end up keeping it and Rory doesn't buy it. In a couple of years Russ will be ready to sell his Ford Ranger (small truck) and drive the bigger one.

Shirley- I'm so sorry that Izzy went crazy and attacked Kristina. Scary! I'm very glad you went to the doctor because cat scratches and bites can be very dangerous. They have very dirty mouths. Your retreat sounds wonderful. Are you relaxed?

Ang- I love strawberry jam but haven't made it. Sounds like everything is going well for you.

Marla- Yay Caleb! Do you think he will be involved in theater from now on? My friend's son is getting his bachelor of fine arts degree at Minnesota State University in Mankato. He has been in plays since he was a little boy and was very involved in plays in high school and now college. He is even doing some local theater in Mpls. in the summer. I admire kids that can sing, act, dance on stage. What did Zach think of being a buddy?

Amy- I hope you are home and spending time with hubby. Enjoy your break!

Take Care everyone,
    Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Options
    I took Zach out driving last night. Oy. He did fine. I was a mess - just as I figured. Why do I have to do this? Oh yeah because the hubs won't. Feh. Hopefully I can work myself up to another trip tonight. Caleb comes home tomorrow. Wow has the week gone fast. Miss my little mommas guy though.

That cool you are helping Rory out with the truck Jenny - sounds really nice. It's finally getting closer to time for something different for me - maybe. The Buick is acting up again and I won't put Zach behind the wheel of a problem. But if I were to buy something today I am leaning in the direction of an Escape mostly because of the commercial for being able to power the back hatch up with your foot! Or maybe another Buick - they don't make the Rendezvous anymore but have introduced the Encore which is a lot less expensive than the Enclave - who knows. I like a couple of the Subaru options but there would be no where local for service - so that would be a problem. But whatever it is, whenever it is it will be some sort of crossover/small suv - I have no desire to go back to a low-riding car. I love sitting up a little higher.

hope everyone is doing well and staying cool -
  • Shirley61
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Marla - We have a van and I love driving it because it is up high. I have a 2002 Buick Century which was my Dad's from
    Florida. We had to pay $200 to get it across the border for us to keep. I see the difference when I drive it around.

Jenny - That is awesome you can help Rory out with a vehicle. We had both our girls in university and college and a car
    was not an option but they were okay with that, thus public transportation started. You are finally getting your yard
    together and the summer is passing us by so fast.

We were supposed to have our friends from London, ON for the weekend but they ended up sick so we are making other
    arrangements for another visit. I had Yoga this morning and now we are going to the boat for the weekend at our
    club to rest and relax. We will be bringing our bikes to ride the trails.

Yesterday was lunch and shopping with my sister. She said it was since May since we got together. Oops! I didn't realize
    it was so long. We are talking on email to keep in touch. She is getting along with the new boyfriend and going to
    a family reunion with his family. She doesn't do well in crowds so I wonder how that will be.

On Monday and Tuesday we will be going to see Isacc. I can't wait, Kathy and Fraser will be going to dinner so we have
    him to ourselves for a while.

For those asking about my retreat it was wonderful. We had a shaky start but all in all love it!
    We are planning another one Halloween weekend.

Well have to get moving and finish my lunch.

Shirley

• jrbanta
    Options
    I'm here. Busy week and evenings.

We bought a neighbor's used Pontiac Bonneville when Rory began driving himself to school his junior year of high school. The other boys were already off to college or moved out. He took it to college his freshman year since parking at UND was available for students and he could get home when he wanted to. Cheaper than bus or train and he didn't know people when going up to Grand Forks. Now he drives friends back and forth and collects gas money. He took the train up and down one time but it's expensive. The other boys did not take a car to college because they were closer and we could get them. They also knew people at their MN colleges from high school and could get rides. We've always had a 3rd car when the boys were with us so they could get to school and their activities once they could drive themselves. Lots of after school practices, etc. Public transportation here is not so great. We never planned on getting another 3rd vehicle after the Pontiac but it is almost 20 years old and becoming a money pit and unreliable. Rory's state park job is 15 miles west of Grand Forks and he needs a dependable vehicle mechanically and in bad weather. Winters are harsh up there. This truck has 4 wheel drive so it makes me feel he is safer. We always try to have no more than one car payment at at time. We've been lucky for a few years to have none. Russ and I have older cars now and with retirement not too far down the road we need to plan for newer vehicles. I came up with the idea of a nice used truck that Rory could use so we could sell or donate the Pontiac. He will use it for the next two years and hopefully treat it well. At that time Russ' truck will be more of a money pit than it already is and he will assume the bigger truck. When Rory is employed he can apply for an auto loan and begin his self sufficient life if all goes as planned.

Marla- I drive a 2005 CR-V and have loved it! Best car I've ever owned. It's getting to the time to replace it but we need to time the payment so we are done paying by the time I retire. My next car will also be a small SUV because I like all wheel drive and being higher up so I can see the road better. My Honda is in great shape inside and out so resale should be good when we are ready. Only has 152,000 miles on it so lots left for someone that likes Hondas. It's very similar to the Escape.

We had fun last night. Some friends, a couple, from church came over and Russ grilled salmon on cedar planks, roasted vegetables and small potatoes, and the friends brought a yummy salad with tomatoes from their garden. We talked, ate and then they taught us to play the card game Euchre. I hadn't played it since high school or college. Nice evening!

Very hot today so not much ambition to accomplish anything. The house is clean, the yard looks much better and we are lazy.

Sounds like you are all busy and having a great summer. I've run on long enough.

Jenny

• jrbanta
    Options
    Marla- I was able to drive with my middle son but made Russ drive with David and Rory. Jeff was so much more careful and cautious. The other two thought they knew it all and had a lead foot. I could never teach driver's ed.

Yesterday we took a drive into Wisconsin with the dogs. We took them to a state trail and went for a walk and then to an old time drive-in for an early dinner. We were amazed how well they rode for so long in the car and behaved at the drive-in. We sat outside at a table instead of in our car. They didn't bark or pee on anything. So glad! Wisconsin is a very pretty state, especially the further north you drive. Lots of lakes just like Minnesota.

This morning Russ and I went to the farmer's market. We only bought a little bit of veggies and fruit. I will be leaving Tuesday morning for a friend's cabin (knitting group get away) and won't be back until Thursday afternoon. Tonight we are grilling steaks with sauteed mushrooms, eating sweet corn, sliced fresh tomatoes, and musk melon.

Quiet and hot day here so not doing much.

Have a nice day!
    Jenny