Please join us

Options
Shirley61
Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
Hi ladies,

I hope you found our group and we can get started.
Shirley

Replies

• Shirley61
    Options
    I sent messages to Jenny, Marla, Ang, L, and if I missed someone could you please let them know.
    I think this group will help us stay in contact when MFP decides to make changes again.
    Sorry no icon, I don't know how to do that.
    Shirley
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Found it. Ah. Hope the others find us soon! I found an area that shows all my replies. Some go back as far as August and our old thread is NOT there. Actually any one I commented one that had a thread roll is gone. I think any threads that rolled were deleted with the change.
  • Shirley61
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi Ang

So glad you found us. Such a change I guess we will have to get used to it. Jenny answered my message so she will have to find us too. I will be leaving this morning for Annapolis Maryland to the boat show so I will be back on
    Sunday. I will check in on the News Feed to keep my days, until then see you when I return.

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I found it - hope the others do to - can't believe after all those years they just messed up everything like that boo. Feels like Friday - but it's not. Argued with Zach again this morning about eating something before school (the last time he ended up throwing up and coming back home) - I pray it's not that - but if it is - I think I will stop buying bananas. I know the bananas aren't making him sick - but he will start to associate that food with sick. Jr. Fire Patrol parade tonight. It's a thing area fifth graders can do - so this is Caleb's year. Also will be his year for D.A.R.E. and probably the 'talk' - cripes. How is my baby old enough for all that?
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    oooh we got our 'en masse' Christmas song last night. LUV IT. Baby Boy by Joel Smalbone, arranged by Gary Rhodes. Can't wait. I found the link on line so I can listen to it when I am bored - it has some really challenging syncopated rhythms - woot!
    -
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Thanks to Shirley and Ang I found you. What's with this weird format? Does Amy know where we are? My time to Michigan was great. The color turned more beautiful each day. My friends and I had a lot of laughs and good times. I saw my siblings and niece too. My flights going and coming home were delayed and I spent almost the entire morning and afternoon sitting in airports or planes. I'm now repacked to leave tomorrow for Grand Forks to see Rory. We will be gone until Tuesday. I won't be checking in again until I get back. I hope everyone is in the group by then. I would miss our discussions that all contribute to.

Have a wonderful weekend. I hope you get fall color wherever you are this weekend.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Hey Jenny - safe travels - enjoy seeing your boy. - I hate this format to be honest - it's a pain to navigate - I'll get used to it eventually - but eh. TGIF ya'll. Take care!
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    OMG lADIES ,i SWEAR IT TOOK ME AN HOUR TO FIND IT . i AM VERY MUCH COMPUTER CHALLENGED AHAHA. SEE THE caps . I can't type and look at the screen . I am not kidding .

So happy to find you guys .
    So today I am going for a hike and then off to Target to purchase a Kitchen aid mixer . I have been wanting one for such a long time and just didn't have the courage to spend so much on a kitchen item ahahaha . seriously I have about ten Dooney and Bourke purses ....

So first I need to get my hike on because none of my cloths fit me ,seriously .So funny how easy it is to gain weight . I need to stay focused and work at this like I did last year .

I have been working a lot on my time off and I'm irritated that I seem to not be able to say no . But at least I have 9 out of the next 10 days off . I work on the 16th doing another flu clinic.

I also think I need to make a doctors apointment next week but really don't want to but as a nurse I am concerned about a few symptoms I am having . I am noticing a sugar rush after eating - I have never noticed this before . sometimes I am also noticing a shakiness if I don't eat . I know that this may be normal but the problem is that this is new for me. I haven't been taking my metformin for insulin resistance so that's probably the issue but I have gone without taking it before and I would hate to disregard something that could be serious .

Any how , I'l keep you guys up to date .

Amy
  • angf0679
    Options
    :'( So sad tonight. Our intern left. Sadly they couldn't keep her. I loved having here there and we became friends. I think the part that I am dreading the most if it just being me and FOUR men at the office. I am seriously considering putting a sign in the bathroom "Do NOT forget to put the seat down!" :p
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I am glad you are all here and you found us. :D I think this group will keep us active even if they change things again. I don't quite know how to navigate around yet but I guess it will take time.
    I just got back from 4 days in Annapolis Maryland and the boat show. The weather was not the best but the
    cadets in their uniforms were awesome to see. They also had the Army/Navy football game going on the same
    weekend so it was extremely busy. We did the show on Friday and shopping the Mall and downtown Annapolis on
    Saturday. It was busy but fun, we did see a few our club members there but didn't get together only with one couple on Friday night at the Chart House. A lovely dinner by the water. :D This morning was sunny and cool and a good ride home but the customs bridge was very busy. I have not unpacked and tomorrow is a holiday, Canadian Thanksgiving so I can do that then. So have a good evening and I will comment tomorrow.
    Shirley
  • angf0679
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving Shirley!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    it feels weird telling Shirley and Ang Happy Thanksgiving - but Happy Thanksgiving!

Amy - please do make your appointment - I know none of us ever want to contemplate hearing something we don't want to hear - but getting in front of it is best

Ang - sorry you lost your intern - boo

Shirley - sounds a very nice time - yay

Jenny - how is Rory? Hope your ND trip is going well.

Looked at fridges and stoves this weekend and thought I was all set and ready to pull the trigger but am frozen with cold feet (again) this morning. The hubs had spent almost a week being unusually helpful and in a good mood - Sunday we argued about a party for Zach (he wants the boys from his class to sleepover for his 14th) - I said fine as long as hubs would help keep them under a little control - hubs said no. I'm like what? There is only five if they all show up - and it's his last one - Bernie is always ragging that Zach doesn't want to do anything - um hello he wants to do something and you say what? So - yep - helpful hubs is gone - I knew it wouldn't last - I said don't worry - I'll take care of it - Even though I'll be working all weekend - grrrrrrr - I hate sleepovers too - but this one is a big deal - again - grrrr -
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Marla - Sorry about the sleepover help from hubs. It was good while it lasted. I too was upset with my hubs this weekend. My friend and I were shopping at the Mall because it rained and the downtown area was in and out of
    stores so we started there. Anyway, when 4 oclock rolled around and we had no lunch we just split a scone I was
    starving. So I wanted to eat something before dinner and I got the rolled eyes and he didn't wanted to comply.
    Then I found out him and Paul had French fries at 3 PM. Okay for one but one okay for the other. Really?

Jenny - Enjoy your time with Rory. Also your ND trip. What are going there again I forget?

ANG - Happy Thanksgiving to you too. I hope you got lots of turkey.

I got everything put away from the weekend. Dave was invited to an NFL hockey game this
    afternoon so I am on the computer now. I am doing some laundry and wanted to start cleaning
    up the gardens outside but it has been pouring rain most of the day. It finally stopped but now
    everything is too wet. Tomorrow is another day.

Shirley

• angf0679
    Options
    I stuffed myself like a turkey yesterday. The only thing I ate yesterday was turkey dinner and I still still over my calorie goal for the day! :p However, all that turkey, potato, sweet potato, corn. carrot, cucumber, dinner rolls, pumpkin pie with cool whip and apple pie with ice cream, was worth every bite!!

Today is the first day of no intern. :( Going to need a lot of patience!
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Ang - So sorry your intern is gone. What happened exactly?
    -
    I got up early this morning and got groceries since we had very little since we were gone. Now all stocked up again.
    Another glorious day, temps at 76F and they are saying rain by tomorrow. So I got myself going in the garden
    and did the Fall clean up. Dumped all flowers and cut back all bushes and flowers that come up every year.
    I also took down all my chimes from the patio. Only thing left is the grass in the pots and some lights and our
    lighted palm tree on the patio. That will be Dave's job.

I am tired now and now finishing up laundry to put away. A very productive day!!

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    We are back from North Dakota. Rory goes to school at the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks. We went up to visit him since he hadn't been home since he left in August. We were able to see his apartment, take him out for good food, shop for some clothes and shoes he needed, and fit in time to chat and do things together. He is majoring in Biology-fisheries and wildlife. I was looking at the visitor's guide in our hotel room and saw that there was a state park about 19 miles west of Grand Forks. It was a beautiful, sunny day but very windy. We decided to drive and see what a state park in ND looks like. The terrain around Grand Forks is very flat prairie land. Not beautiful prairie as you see in South Dakota and Nebraska. We drove to the park and it was like entering an oasis amongst brown, dirt plowed fields. Rolling hills, river and ponds, tall trees, etc. We stopped at the visitor center to use the restrooms and get park info. The ranger behind the desk was friendly and wanted to talk with us. He asked Rory what he was majoring in and Rory told him. He proceeded to tell Rory about a winter ranger job available and he should apply for experience. He said they also work with the university to provide internships for fish and wildlife students. They hire summer interns, pay them and give them a free cabin to live in. Rory was psyched since he has been researching internships and looking for a higher paying job at school. He plans to apply for the winter job. We'll see what shakes out as a result.

We drove back roads up to ND and back. The fall color was beautiful and we saw parts of MN we had never seen before. Lots of cute small towns on or near lakes, nice people, etc. We are scoping where we want to retire when we are done working. We definitely want to leave the metro area and live a slower, quieter life in a beautiful setting. So far we are considering MN, WI, and MI. I would want to rent a condo in a Gulf State for a month in the coldest part of winter if we could afford it. The big IF...

Sorry you lost your intern Ang :'(
    Shirley, sounds like you had a nice time in Annapolis. What was the result of Dave's MRI? Do you know yet?
    Amy, I'm glad you found us.
    Has L checked in yet?
    Marla, hang in there. Sometimes husbands are not too swift in how they view their role and how they think.

I should be getting things done but still tired from being on the road for 9 days and sleeping in other beds than my own.

Happy Tuesday!
    Jenny
  • lcrockett
    lcrockett Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. I've found y'all, but just haven't had a chance to catch up on the posts. Hopefully Thursday I'll have a few minutes. Just wanted to say hello and wish everyone health and happiness.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Jenny - it sounds the like the trip went really well - glad to hear. Awesome to hear that Rory has a strong lead on some good (and paid) experience. Double bonus points! I love the colors this time of year as well. It is starting to get a bit pretty here. The corn and beans are coming out and leaves are turning - my very favorite are those burning bushes that turn red. I planted one first thing at this house but it has never really taken off. It's alive and turns red - but it's so little - most of the mature ones I see are nice and big. Sniff. I am so not a gardener.

The neighbors directly to the east of us - built a brand new house less than three years ago and are having to move - the wife is always chatting with Bernie and had told him several times how this was her dream house and she didn't want anything more - unfortunately the husband lost his job in August and at his level (he was a plant manager) he will probably be relocating. Sad stuff. Manufacturing is a tough industry - all jobs are continuously tenuous it's a stressful way to live - you can be making a good salary and working like a dog and then somebody has to take the bullet for whatever bad decision and your life poops out. Been there done that - twice already. Yet another reason I am hesistant on the appliances - yes I have the money - but what if I need it for.... sigh.

Shirley, L, Amy, Ang - HI!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Marla, we also had a burning bush at our last house. It never turned to the bright red that we hoped for. Never planted another one at this current house. Those bushes were gorgeous in northern MN.

Sad about your neighbor losing his job and now their home. It's happened to so many people in the last years during the unstable economy. Hopefully your job is secure and you don't have to pay the price for someone else's bad decisions.

Beautiful here today. I've watched the news, had coffee, vacuumed the house, made breakfast, and am waiting to go get my hair cut. My friend and I go to a play at the Guthrie Theater tonight. Our first of the season. I need to figure out where we will eat before the play. She always leaves it up to me. Says I know downtown better than her.... I just search on the internet.

Well have a wonderful day!

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Jenny - What a wonderful trip you had even though ND was not the ideal place to be. At least Rory found some
    - good news for a winter job. Dave goes Thursday night for his MRI results from our doctor. FINALLY!
    -
    Marla - Sorry about your neighbor having to move. You have to go where the jobs are these days. That is why
    my kids are in the Toronto area working and living. Nothing in our area for them. :(

My youngest Kathy called us when we were in Annapolis and told us they bought a house. They put an offer in
    and it was accepted. They will be 2 hours away from us. Not any closer. :( I will have to stay overnight to
    spend time with my grandchild when it arrives. She is due April 8th and we have to change our Jamaica plans
    because we were going that week. I want to be in the area when that baby comes. :D

I just got back from Yoga Class and I am liking it more every week. I really don't know many of the ladies
    in the class but that is okay. I am there to feel better and fit not to socialize. Every week is different and
    today we did meditation. Nice to be just be in the moment. Since all of us are always on the go.
    I stopped to see my MIL for a chat and get caught up on all the family news. Now getting my lunch ready
    and then I don't know yet what I will do. Isn't retirement lovely ;)

Enjoy the day, its a cloudy day here and our temp yesterday was 76F and now it is dropping.

Shirley