What was your fasting BG today?

Options

Replies

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    83 at 814am today.
    Also hit my 50-pounds-lost milestone today.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    83 at 814am today.
    Also hit my 50-pounds-lost milestone today.
    Sweet!!! That is 2 things to celebrate - and the 50 pound milestone is huge! Congrats and keep it up!

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    @jburke141 and @zcb94 why do you get so concerned about lower sugar? In other words, I thought sugar in the 80s is excellent, but you seem concerned when you have that, am I missing something?

Mine 101 today!

@BarneyRubbleMD excellent. you're killing it!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    @jburke141 and @zcb94 why do you get so concerned about lower sugar? In other words, I thought sugar in the 80s is excellent, but you seem concerned when you have that, am I missing something?

Mine 101 today!

I'm not concerned, it's just new to me because, while sick, I wasn't even allowed to drink water without "the shot of shame" before and after. Now, I have scary-good control and might get to throw away my leftover "shots of shame!"
    91 right now. :)
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »

Mine 101 today!

I'm not concerned, it's just new to me because, while sick, I wasn't even allowed to drink water without "the shot of shame" before and after. Now, I have scary-good control and might get to throw away my leftover "shots of shame!"

LOL--if by "shots of shame" you mean insulin injections, I think I'll adopt that name for them too for assisting me in keeping with my plan to get off of all insulin injections. A few years ago I could not deal with the concept of sticking myself with a needle and it took some time (& a lot of lancet pricks) before I was willing to do the injection thing due to my high blood sugar levels (around 250 mg/dL). Now, I don't even give it a 2nd thought! It's like taking a vitamin--I should be much more concerned than that!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options

Mine 101 today!

LOL--if by "shots of shame" you mean insulin injections, I think I'll adopt that name for them too for assisting me in keeping with my plan to get off of all insulin injections. A few years ago I could not deal with the concept of sticking myself with a needle and it took some time (& a lot of lancet pricks) before I was willing to do the injection thing due to my high blood sugar levels (around 250 mg/dL). Now, I don't even give it a 2nd thought! It's like taking a vitamin--I should be much more concerned than that!
    That is indeed what I meant. Fortunately, I never had to use them on myself, although we thought I did (accidentally taking blood thinner instead). My sugars were about that high all the time due to infection. Fortunately, I can't feel much below the waist, so I was able to make the CNA aim for "ye ol' dunlap" or don't bother giving the shot. Please be careful with insulin lest your sugar stays dangerously low, though!
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @snha I am having a horrible time with my sugars going too low in the morning. When I see my sugars this low it usually means a "rough" morning. This morning not too bad, although last week I have had to carry my glucose tablets everywhere with me. I have great readings in the afternoon though, I have discussed this with my doctor and diabetic nurse, they told me it's normal, and was most likely my activity catching up to me at that time of day. I guess it makes sense...maybe I should learn to sit down more often lol! I also have learned I have to eat more calories in the morning. It's a fine balancing act lately.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    107 :)
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    jburke141 wrote: »
    @snha I am having a horrible time with my sugars going too low in the morning. When I see my sugars this low it usually means a "rough" morning. This morning not too bad, although last week I have had to carry my glucose tablets everywhere with me. I have great readings in the afternoon though, I have discussed this with my doctor and diabetic nurse, they told me it's normal, and was most likely my activity catching up to me at that time of day. I guess it makes sense...maybe I should learn to sit down more often lol! I also have learned I have to eat more calories in the morning. It's a fine balancing act lately.

If my blood sugars were to get too low after a morning fasting blood sugar measurement (right after my alarm clock forces me out of bed), I'd probably have my breakfast right then rather than wait 2 hours like I typically do before having breakfast. It is definitely a fine balancing act to keep from going too low or too high (especially after meals).
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    edited October 2015
    Options

Mine 101 today!

That is indeed what I meant. Fortunately, I never had to use them on myself, although we thought I did (accidentally taking blood thinner instead). My sugars were about that high all the time due to infection. Fortunately, I can't feel much below the waist, so I was able to make the CNA aim for "ye ol' dunlap" or don't bother giving the shot. Please be careful with insulin lest your sugar stays dangerously low, though!

Yep, I am & will continue to be careful with my fast-acting insulin (Humalog) dosages since not doing so can be very dangerous. My doctor allows me to adjust my fast-acting insulin (Humalog) dosages as needed based on what I'm eating & how much (specifically carbs/sugars) & what my pre-meal blood sugar reading was as well as what my pre-meal & post-meal blood sugar readings were the previous day when I had the same meal (i.e. I tend to eat the same thing for several days in a row).

When I was starting out back in February2015, my insulin (Humalog) dosage got gradually increased up to about 25 units/meal and 15 units/snack (3 meals & 3 snacks per day). Over time (several weeks) those dosages needed to be decreased to keep my post-meal blood sugars from going too low. Eventually, I was able to eliminate my insulin (Humalog) injection at breakfast and almost eliminate my insulin (Humalog) injection at lunch (only needing 0 to 4 units) with my dinner insulin (Humalog) injection coming in at about 6 units for a total of about 10 units (sometimes less) of fast-acting insulin (Humalog) per day depending on what & how much I ate. Without being able to make those adjustments, I would have definitely had my post-meal blood sugars get too low as my body (i.e. pancreas) started "recovering" & could supply more of its own insulin as I continued to follow a much better "diabetic diet".

• BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    90 at 605am today.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    113. I trust it will be consistently below 100 in a month or two !!!! Here is to wishful thinking :smile:

Excellent numbers @BarneyRubbleMD
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    86 this morning! Happy with that. @BarneyRubbleMD great number! Pretty soon that Humalog will be toast! @snha just keep plugging away at it! It will come down, it just takes time!
  • mrron2u
    Options
    94 today.
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    112 :)
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    edited October 2015
    Options
    jburke141 wrote: »
    86 this morning! Happy with that. @BarneyRubbleMD great number! Pretty soon that Humalog will be toast! @snha just keep plugging away at it! It will come down, it just takes time!

Thanks! My 90 mg/dL number was disappointing--today was supposed to be my 3rd day in a row of fasting blood sugars under 90 mg/dL, which means I would have been able to reduce my nighttime insulin (Levemir) dosage by 3 units (from 38 down to 35). Now since I didn't make that, I'll have to start over on that 3-day "count down" of consecutive fasting blood sugar numbers < 90 mg/dL before getting another chance to lower my nighttime insulin dosage. I've been stuck at this 38 units of Levemir dosage for about 3 weeks now & eager to see it start moving down again.

;) In hindsight, I should have remembered that I have more fingers and continued testing my blood sugars this morning (on other fingers) until I got a reading under 90 !

...and to make this morning even more disappointing--I gained 1.6 pounds since yesterday!
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    103 :)
  • mrron2u
    Options
    80 today!
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    79 at 646am--I don't know where that one came from but I'll take it!
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I missed a few days after going to hospital, but I'm back at home going slow. Good news, my FBS at the hospital was 98 Monday, 94 Tuesday and 98 yesterday. It's never been below 100. Today was 108. I'm going to check my meter to see if it registers high today.