NSV's = Non-scale Victories

Options

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Fantastic comeback! We oldies rule. I got similar comments from my caridologist who told me I was fit enough to deploy with the military.

You bet we do! And has anyone else had a cortisone shot, this is my second one (first one was in my thumb) and boy is that a miracle drug or what?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I really don't have any NSV to share. I am happy for the rest of you, though !
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good job luluinca.
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have shoulder problems that I think would benefit from a cortisone shot. I benched 185 for 3 sets of 10 today without a problem, if I go heavy, my shoulder hurts. I also have hip issues due to tightness. I am addressing these issues and would rather lose the 30 pounds of fat I am carrying before seeking outside help. Had a conversation with a friend about getting outside help and my answers convinced me that I am doing everything I want to do right now without outside help.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,129 Member
    Options
    Mccmack wrote: »
    I have shoulder problems that I think would benefit from a cortisone shot. I benched 185 for 3 sets of 10 today without a problem, if I go heavy, my shoulder hurts. I also have hip issues due to tightness. I am addressing these issues and would rather lose the 30 pounds of fat I am carrying before seeking outside help. Had a conversation with a friend about getting outside help and my answers convinced me that I am doing everything I want to do right now without outside help.
    It doesn't seem fair that when we're finally getting our heads together, our bodies start giving us trouble!!

I'm doing physiotherapy twice per week (3 visits so far) and I'm actually worse than before... but only because the stretches and exercises he's assigned as homework are working parts of me that would rather stay frozen.

My weight hasn't changed although I've been more active in the past year than anytime in the past two decades. Bodyfat percentage has dropped and I'm seeing the results in muscular definition... but I still want the muffin top gone. The solution is going to be incrementally changing my diet. Slow and steady to win the race of a lifetime.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's maddening. I'm the strongest and fittest I've been since high school, but still fighting the ring 'o belly.
  • clynns54
    clynns54 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    It doesn't seem fair that when we're finally getting our heads together, our bodies start giving us trouble!!

I'm doing physiotherapy twice per week (3 visits so far) and I'm actually worse than before... but only because the stretches and exercises he's assigned as homework are working parts of me that would rather stay frozen.

My weight hasn't changed although I've been more active in the past year than anytime in the past two decades. Bodyfat percentage has dropped and I'm seeing the results in muscular definition... but I still want the muffin top gone. The solution is going to be incrementally changing my diet. Slow and steady to win the race of a lifetime.

I like your last sentence-Slow and steady to win the race of a lifetime.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options

Not sure you're doing the right thing by waiting. Just an observation but that's what I did for 3 months. I just kept working around it, going lighter, doing more stretches etc. until finally it got so bad I could barely get dressed and it was painful 24/7.

That cortisone shot knocked the inflammation down considerably and now I'm able to do more, which means I think it will heal faster. It hasn't even been a week yet but I can tell I already have more range of motion.

For what it's worth!
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Two more dress pants going to Goodwill. I just don't get it - the scale won't budge.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    E_Brault...isn't it interesting how things can just kind of shift around!
    I managed to lose on the scale this month but measurements stayed the same.
    However, my NSV....I wore a pair of leggings (jeggings, whatever) to work and I was feeling a draft. No, there was not a rip in my pants. I suddenly realized I had a thigh gap! I was getting a breeze because nothing was touching!!! I even tried walking funny to see if I could rub my thighs together like "normal". Nope. Knocked knees first....Hahaha!
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    36 days on my journey.... 20 lbs down... I haven't had to take zantac or tumms for better than 2 weeks now... my acid reflux has all but vanished!!!! OH.. i can put my socks on without struggling...if you could only have seen me ..a sad sight indeed
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    These are marvelous NSVs, (there is not a bad one). My kids say I stopped snoring when I lost weight, more of an NSV for them, but still, it must mean I am breathing better.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,129 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    These are marvelous NSVs, (there is not a bad one). My kids say I stopped snoring when I lost weight, more of an NSV for them, but still, it must mean I am breathing better.

Apparently that is a known result... less snoring as well as reduction or even elimination of sleep apnea. Congrats!
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    chamblisk wrote: »
    However, my NSV....I wore a pair of leggings (jeggings, whatever) to work and I was feeling a draft. No, there was not a rip in my pants. I suddenly realized I had a thigh gap! I was getting a breeze because nothing was touching!!! I even tried walking funny to see if I could rub my thighs together like "normal". Nope. Knocked knees first....Hahaha!

It's a great moment indeed!
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    36 days on my journey.... 20 lbs down... I haven't had to take zantac or tumms for better than 2 weeks now... my acid reflux has all but vanished!!!! OH.. i can put my socks on without struggling...if you could only have seen me ..a sad sight indeed

That's awesome. If at some point in the future, you're feeling tempted to return to old ways, remember how amazing you feel right now!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »

And hopefully sleeping better, too!
  • E_Brault
    Options
    chamblisk wrote: »
    E_Brault...isn't it interesting how things can just kind of shift around!
    I managed to lose on the scale this month but measurements stayed the same.

Very cool! I have started to notice the same thing except - I could see the gap in the mirror with my new old jeans.

• E_Brault
    Options
    This is a real odd ball, NSV: I have been working with a personal trainer for about 3 weeks. Last night, I went to my friends house and was sitting on the couch - when I got up - it was so easy. I didn't hold on to the sides of the couch, no wheezing (crap, never even smoked!), no crackling of various joints. It was like a jack in the box. One second I was sitting, next second I was up. But the darn scale still hasn't moved.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Yesterday, I put on my stretchy Lycra gym pants that goes to my knees. I haven't worn them in a while bc they were too tight for the gym. You got it! They are too loose! The waist band puckers about 2 inches and I had to keep pulling them up - no draw string. The scale still hasn't budged.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    New PB mile equivalent for 1 hour on the elliptical yesterday. 6.63 miles, and the calorie count per machine (gross calories) was 936. I'm determined to hit 960 and sustain 16 calories per minute average for an hour. And on that machine, it might be tricky.

@E_Brault I'm starting to wonder if your scale is broken or you are just actually changing body composition that much without weight loss. Do you ever weigh multiple times in one day to see if you have large fluctuations through the day?

and @chamblisk I've seen that mentioned before, and it just seems so funny how people notice the draft before seeing it in the mirror!

But all the NSVs count in my book, they become part of our motivation at times.