NSV's = Non-scale Victories

Options

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    LOL, I love this! I had one that involved my shoes. For years I kept saying I couldn't wear heels b/c I was too old and unsteady. Then one day my girls talked me into some pumps, (not stilettos or anything). Sure enough I could walk in them since I wasn't carrying around a 10 year old on my body anymore. It was the weight, not the years. (Still prefer flats, but nice to know I can dress up if needs be)
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Cookies and cakes are my downfall. In the past I have been unable to have one or two cookies and stop. Today I was really craving my (currently) favorite cookie, Trader Joe's Lattemiele Cookies. But I don't dare buy a whole package. Last time I ate the entire package in one day (about 2,000 calories -- yikes). Today when I zipped over to TJs for raw spinach and broccoli, they were giving away samples of my cookie! I looked at the package, and 5 cookies are only 160 calories! So I had three sample cookies and logged them (would have had 5, but didn't want to look like a pig at the sample counter, LOL). So I got to enjoy my cookies, not feel guilty, and not have them down in the kitchen calling my name the rest of the day.

This is why I love shopping at BJs Warehouse. They always have taste testers. Last week I had a bite of pizza, sip of Kool Aid and the smaller snack cookie known to man. It was delicious, silenced the dogs and I proceeded throughout the day without tripping over my tongue which had been hanging out of my mouth yearning for pizza and cookies for days. The Kool Aid was a sentimental bonus.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My 3yr old grandson thinks I'm actually getting younger - too cute! He says he thinks now that I'm 12 ............................................. my wife might agree some days. :wink:
  • marekdds
    Options
    I walked 2.5 miles today and didn't even break a sweat, (heart rate didn't get above 80).
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    all of my clothes are now size 14/16 -- including denim shorts and bathing suits!!! I have work people stop me often to compliment me!
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    all of my clothes are now size 14/16 -- including denim shorts and bathing suits!!! I have work people stop me often to compliment me!
    Great NSV!!
  • marekdds
    Options
    It is always great when people notice your hard work.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    This one is kind of weird, but...I no longer fear the booths at restaurants. My standard process is to ask for a table (because odds are I wouldn't be able to fit comfortably in a booth), but that is no longer a problem. It's a small thing, but it makes me feel less abnormal.

Also, yesterday I walked nearly 6 miles (throughout the day, not all in one session...but it's a lot for me). Walking is my main form of exercise and I try to walk no less than 3 miles per day. Yesterday I ran out of coffee, and instead of driving to the store, I walked. Helped tack on those extra miles. I bought my first FitBit a couple months ago, and that thing sure makes me want to get out there and walk and build up the step count! The other night I was a few hundred steps short of my daily goal, so I went out to the backyard (at midnight!) and just kept walking around the pool until I reached that goal. My dog watched me from the porch and must have thought I'd lost it. Ha!
  • BRaye325
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    This one is kind of weird, but...I no longer fear the booths at restaurants. My standard process is to ask for a table (because odds are I wouldn't be able to fit comfortably in a booth), but that is no longer a problem. It's a small thing, but it makes me feel less abnormal.

The same for me. I even ask for a booth now, just because I can. :smile:
  • marekdds
    Options
    mygnsac, brilliant! Sounds like something I would do. My NSV for today was I ran three 11 min miles (5.5 mph). Not exactly world class, but I am happy with it.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    I spent 10.5 hours on Saturday working on my yard, weeding, planting, trimming, edging, matting, & mulching. I can't believe how much I was able to get done and sure I'm sore, but it's more like a good feeling kind of sore. I was even still very active yesterday when I thought I'd be down for the day. Last year I would have been done after about an hour or two.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    New to the group here but I did something this morning I haven't done before. I pretty much swim and lift weights for my exercise. I've been walking my dog about 3 to 3.5 miles twice a week lately as well. I injured my hip at the gym about 5 weeks ago and have been forced to curtail some of my exercise but now it's feeling fine.

Soooooo, this morning I decided to jog for part of the dog walk. There's about 1/2 mile of the trail that's relatively flat, the rest of the walk is very hilly, so we jogged the 1/2 mile section out and back. I swear there was a look of surprise on my dog's face................... ;)

The real NSV though.......is that I liked it.
  • downongreenacres
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    I spent 10.5 hours on Saturday working on my yard, weeding, planting, trimming, edging, matting, & mulching. I can't believe how much I was able to get done and sure I'm sore, but it's more like a good feeling kind of sore. I was even still very active yesterday when I thought I'd be down for the day. Last year I would have been done after about an hour or two.
    Working in the garden is so satisfying...it makes the pain worth it!
  • downongreenacres
    Options
    W
    luluinca wrote: »
    New to the group here but I did something this morning I haven't done before. I pretty much swim and lift eights for my exercise. I've been walking my dog about 3 to 3.5 miles twice a week lately as well. I injured my hip at the gym about 5 weeks ago and have been forced to curtail some of my exercise but now it's feeling fine.

Soooooo, this morning I decided to jog for part of the dog walk. There's about 1/2 mile of the trail that's relatively flat, the rest of the walk is very hilly, so we jogged the 1/2 mile section out and back. I swear there was a look of surprise on my dog's face................... ;)

The real NSV though.......is that I liked it.

Wow thats great! If my dog saw me running he would look to see if something was chasing me ! :blush:
  • luluinca
    Options
    Wow thats great! If my dog saw me running he would look to see if something was chasing me ! :blush:

That's funny............my dog loves to run so I think she was just too happy for words.....I wonder sometimes what she's thinking though!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Today I put on a pair of tracksuit bottoms I haven't put on in forever. They used to be rather tight around the thighs, showing every bump. Much to my astonishment they are now loose, almost verging on baggy, around the thighs. It's the little things that keeps me from stuffing Keeler Elf cookies down my gullet.

• chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've been quietly trying to turn my life around for about 2 years. Found and joined MFP at Christmas and have learned to track and get support from others on this site. My NSV this week...no fewer than 6 people, from my neighborhood, church, school and store, have commented on how much weight I have lost and how good I am looking. Even co-workers that I see everyday! I thought the first comment was just a fluke...not that it didn't feel good. But now I've been getting noticed everyday! Great boost to the self-esteem. I figured out the timing is probably because I have dug into my "summer" clothes....less bulk is more revealing....and I have been able to get into slacks I haven't worn in years. I won't say they are "skinny" jeans, but close :blush:
  • marekdds
    Options
    That is such a fun NSV. Yeah, it is great when you know you are losing, but wonderful when others notice.
  • luluinca
    Options
    chamblisk wrote: »
    I've been quietly trying to turn my life around for about 2 years. Found and joined MFP at Christmas and have learned to track and get support from others on this site. My NSV this week...no fewer than 6 people, from my neighborhood, church, school and store, have commented on how much weight I have lost and how good I am looking. Even co-workers that I see everyday! I thought the first comment was just a fluke...not that it didn't feel good. But now I've been getting noticed everyday! Great boost to the self-esteem. I figured out the timing is probably because I have dug into my "summer" clothes....less bulk is more revealing....and I have been able to get into slacks I haven't worn in years. I won't say they are "skinny" jeans, but close :blush:

That's a great NSV. It's so nice to be a little leaner when summer rolls around. Good job!

• luluinca
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Today I put on a pair of tracksuit bottoms I haven't put on in forever. They used to be rather tight around the thighs, showing every bump. Much to my astonishment they are now loose, almost verging on baggy, around the thighs. It's the little things that keeps me from stuffing Keeler Elf cookies down my gullet.

Having baggy clothes can be expensive but so worth it!!!!