NSV's = Non-scale Victories

Options

Replies

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    A friend saw a facebook picture of me teaching my grandson to fish and complimented me on how great I looked. It was funny because I had seen the picture and thought I looked fat - oh the games our minds play. B)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I love setting goals and targets and most are quite serious but this one was a silly one - to learn to do handstand push ups for the first time ever. I saw Nicholas Cage do them in Con Air and thought it looked cool but also thought I would never be able to do them.

o6uv3z8mmfgt.jpg
  • BRaye325
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I love setting goals and targets and most are quite serious but this one was a silly one - to learn to do handstand push ups for the first time ever. I saw Nicholas Cage do them in Con Air and thought it looked cool but also thought I would never be able to do them.

That's cool, I remember that from Con Air. I'm going to shoot for this too. I'm thinking that I'm still about 25 pounds and another 100 workouts from doing it, but I'll get there.
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I want to try them too! I need to do more strength training of my upper body first though. And probably get a pillow for to cushion the blow when I fall on my head. ;)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I want to try them too! I need to do more strength training of my upper body first though. And probably get a pillow for to cushion the blow when I fall on my head. ;)
    Part two of my challenge is to do them without looking stupid or breaking my neck, haven't managed the not looking stupid part yet but have avoided hurting myself so far. :smile:
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Sijomial, you look just like Nicolas Cage doing that! I can now take my jeans off without unbuttoning or unzIpping them. I need new ones I guess but I am going to cinch these with a belt and wait a bit.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I love all these. It is so inspiring to read. I have so many, it is hard to chose. I can actually run a 5k now, I can wrap a regular bath towel around me, I can cross my legs. My favorite has to be, when I go shopping with my very fit daughters, we occasionally swap clothes in the dressing room, before I was so fat I just watched.
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    LOL Well I can't say I can run a 5K but yep, I can wrap a towel around me and cross my legs! Since I never really MIND buying new clothes, it was great when I tried my winter coat on last November and looked like a kid dressed up in her mother's stuff! Or when I fished some things I couldn't wear before out of the closet and they are now too big! It's also great to get on a plane and be able to easily snap the seat belt or know that when I tuck my purse under the seat ahead of me, i will actually be able to reach down and get it out from under there!
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow, I wish MFP had a *Like* button, because I would have hit it for all of these posts. It is so reassuring to be in the company of people who get that the victories are not all on the scale. My victory this week is spending today trying on clothes from my closet so I can pack way the too big ones and get the just right ones in rotation.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    sebenza512 wrote: »
    Wow, I wish MFP had a *Like* button, because I would have hit it for all of these posts. It is so reassuring to be in the company of people who get that the victories are not all on the scale. My victory this week is spending today trying on clothes from my closet so I can pack way the too big ones and get the just right ones in rotation.

Now that's a NSV
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Since I originally measure myself about 3 weeks ago, I have lost 1.3 inches from my hips, a half inch from my waist, a half inch off my bra band (rib cage just below your breasts for the gentlemen who may wonder) and a half inch off my thighs. I was surprised I lost anything off my hips/thighs because, historically, that is mostly where my fat will lay siege and refuse to leave. It's always the last spot to give up anything. I was truly hoping for more off the waist but it will get there.... Normally I am a slave to the scale. Now I will take some consolation and encouragement from my tape measure when that scale refuses to budge.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    This one is going to sound strange as an NSV - but here goes. Yesterday I got to spend about 5 hours working in my garage trying to affect repairs on my riding mower. After several years of neglect, I decided to tackle my mowers issues on my own rather than paying someone else to do it. It needed some TLC, a tune-up, blade sharpening, wheel alignment, grease job, battery charging and some other minor repairs. So after about 3 hours of crawling and kneeling on my garage floor, and 8 trips up and down the stairs for assorted tools, and one trip to the hardware, I was still not able to get it completed.
    So why in the heck is this an NSV??? It was because I could do it. Sure I'm pretty sore today, but I could do it. Last year at this time, I wouldn't have been able to do what I did. It felt good to work with my hands and today I am proud of the fact that I had the energy to try it and I will get it completed in the next couple of days.
    When I was at the hardware store, I was even looking for some other items for more projects around the house. I guess this is an NSV for my wife too!
  • marekdds
    Options
    BRaye, that is a wonderful NSV. I am amazed at how much energy and how much more I can get done, since I am not carrying 80 extra pounds. good for you. And Nikki, once you reach goal and the scale isn't supposed to move, you will treasure those nsvs. Huge progress :)
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    This one is going to sound strange as an NSV - but here goes. Yesterday I got to spend about 5 hours working in my garage trying to affect repairs on my riding mower. After several years of neglect, I decided to tackle my mowers issues on my own rather than paying someone else to do it. It needed some TLC, a tune-up, blade sharpening, wheel alignment, grease job, battery charging and some other minor repairs. So after about 3 hours of crawling and kneeling on my garage floor, and 8 trips up and down the stairs for assorted tools, and one trip to the hardware, I was still not able to get it completed.
    So why in the heck is this an NSV??? It was because I could do it. Sure I'm pretty sore today, but I could do it. Last year at this time, I wouldn't have been able to do what I did. It felt good to work with my hands and today I am proud of the fact that I had the energy to try it and I will get it completed in the next couple of days.
    When I was at the hardware store, I was even looking for some other items for more projects around the house. I guess this is an NSV for my wife too!

Great! The quality of your life has improved now that you can do more stuff. I don't think this will go unnoticed by the Mrs. Expect an evergrowing honey-do list soon...
  • BRaye325
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I don't think this will go unnoticed by the Mrs. Expect an evergrowing honey-do list soon...

Oh yea, that started already!
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Two days ago, while I standing at standing at a bus stop, a young (late 20"s to early 30's), handsome, and fit man came over and sat on the bench behind me. We were awaiting the same bus. After a few minutes, the young man said: "Excuse me. I don't mean to be rude or anything. I just wanted to say that you still have "it". You look good."

That put a big smile on my face. I took a big breath, tried to lessen my smile, and turned around and said to him: "Thank you. Thank you very much!"

I had a smile in my heart all day.

Every woman wants to know that she has or still has "it". And it's wonderful when that confirmation comes from a stranger. I, now, have another tool in my arsenal to help me push forward when I am having a difficult time.

I hope that I don't sound too vain. I am not. I am still 54 pounds away from my goal. I have a lot of work to do. Little compliments like this simply help to validate ones hard work.
  • marekdds
    Options
    LOVE IT! What a cool nsv. Really does lift the spirits.
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had multiple non-scale victories over my weekend out of town. I tracked every meal in MFP and stayed within my calories while eating out for 3 meals a day. I ate fairly healthy too: fish, lean beef, eggs, salad, veggies, fruit, & a vodka drink each night.

Here's another NSV -Packing for the weekend. It was a breeze since I new what I had in my closet that fit me and was comfortable. Oh, and I hate packing so this was a huge bonus. As others here have mentioned, spending time weeding out clothes in my closet proved so very valuable.

Onward! On Sunday, I walked 18k steps and then I drove 2 hours home. We got in at 9:30 pm, and unpacked the car. I felt tired that night but really good at how much I was able to do without getting cranky. Another NSV, I wasn't sore that evening or the next day. Last year this would have been a struggle and I probably would have felt awful from junk eating and sore from all the walking and standing.

I am smiling just thinking about the successes of my weekend since my scale has been very slow to move. It feels like I'm bragging but honestly I don't care. We all know this could easily have gone badly if I had not set a goals before the weekend to track everything I ate. I also agreed to do a quick estimate of calories if needed. Quick adding calories is not the ideal method since accuracy is difficult but necessary to hold myself accountable when a food can't be found in the data base. We'll see what happens when I weigh in on Friday. Either way, I think NSV's give my scale a little less power.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    italy10548 wrote: »
    I had multiple non-scale victories over my weekend out of town. I tracked every meal in MFP and stayed within my calories while eating out for 3 meals a day. I ate fairly healthy too: fish, lean beef, eggs, salad, veggies, fruit, & a vodka drink each night.

Here's another NSV -Packing for the weekend. It was a breeze since I new what I had in my closet that fit me and was comfortable. Oh, and I hate packing so this was a huge bonus. As others here have mentioned, spending time weeding out clothes in my closet proved so very valuable.

Onward! On Sunday, I walked 18k steps and then I drove 2 hours home. We got in at 9:30 pm, and unpacked the car. I felt tired that night but really good at how much I was able to do without getting cranky. Another NSV, I wasn't sore that evening or the next day. Last year this would have been a struggle and I probably would have felt awful from junk eating and sore from all the walking and standing.

I am smiling just thinking about the successes of my weekend since my scale has been very slow to move. It feels like I'm bragging but honestly I don't care. We all know this could easily have gone badly if I had not set a goals before the weekend to track everything I ate. I also agreed to do a quick estimate of calories if needed. Quick adding calories is not the ideal method since accuracy is difficult but necessary to hold myself accountable when a food can't be found in the data base. We'll see what happens when I weigh in on Friday. Either way, I think NSV's give my scale a little less power.

I think you did fantastically well. You ate well, allowed yourself some treats and had a good time. What more could one ask from a weekend away?
  • marekdds
    Options
    Brilliantly done @italy10548