NSV's = Non-scale Victories

Options

Replies

• JamieIveyMahaffey
    JamieIveyMahaffey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    I've starting to discover some lost bones. I know that sounds weird, but I've actually got ribs, and collarbones, and hip bones. I thought I had lost them years ago. Who knew?

Love this....
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can't wear any of the work out clothes I bought when I started all this 9 months ago. Even the stretchy yoga style pants wont stay up!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had an old pair of panties on today, kept falling down when I was on the treadmill, lol.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    So I shaved my beard off this week after hitting a new loss goal. I went to my 3 year old grandson's soccer practice and he didn't recognize me for about an hour. He finally took a good look and just said, "Now wait a minute!"
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    So I shaved my beard off this week after hitting a new loss goal. I went to my 3 year old grandson's soccer practice and he didn't recognize me for about an hour. He finally took a good look and just said, "Now wait a minute!"

Kids! Gotta love them. What has been the reaction of others?
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Most have said I look younger, which is kind of interesting. I've gotten that more than saying I've lost weight - perhaps they don't know how to say "you look less fat" ... haha
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Most have said I look younger, which is kind of interesting. I've gotten that more than saying I've lost weight - perhaps they don't know how to say "you look less fat" ... haha

Well, it's better than having them ask if you're sick! That happened to me once. I had lost about 40 pounds and someone asked a friend if I was sick since I had lost so much weight.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Looking good Bill
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »

Well, it's better than having them ask if you're sick! That happened to me once. I had lost about 40 pounds and someone asked a friend if I was sick since I had lost so much weight.

Nikki, this happened to me! Someone pulled me aside at work to ask me if there was anything they "could do". Apparently, they had noticed my weight loss, and assumed that I was ill as well! It was a little off-putting to say the least- but I'm going to choose to see it as an (odd) compliment. :)
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Hahahaha, biblio! All you can do is laugh it off...
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Just found this discussion, all these examples are so inspiring. Any more? (I don't have one YET)
  • BRaye325
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Just found this discussion, all these examples are so inspiring. Any more? (I don't have one YET)

I had one today. I always send a welcome message to new members when they join our group. Recently I got a reply from a new member that is having a very difficult time with not only with their health and fitness but also several other major problems in their life. It took me back to the place I was less than a year ago when I joined MFP.
    It made me remember how far I've come and at the same time, I found a new friend and it gave me the opportunity to pay it forward for all of those that have helped me these past months.
    The changes that happen here go much farther than just weight loss.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Some of the NSV's that surprised me were little things, like a standard towel wraps me w/ no gaps now, my feet got smaller, (new shoes, yay), discovering bones I didn't know I had, crossing my legs, much more stamina. I used to really be a couch potato, now my husband tells me to slow down.
  • whmscll
    Options
    BRaye325 that's awesome. Marekdds, great job!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    Some of the NSV's that surprised me were little things, like a standard towel wraps me w/ no gaps now, my feet got smaller, (new shoes, yay), discovering bones I didn't know I had, crossing my legs, much more stamina. I used to really be a couch potato, now my husband tells me to slow down.

It's the little things like you said.. I love the towel nsv..
  • BRaye325
    Options
    I spent a couple of hours both Sat & Sun doing yard work. Mostly on my hands and knees or bent over weeding and digging. Last year I could hardly move afterward and was sore for weeks. Today, I'm feeling pretty good and planning to do some more tonight, what a change a year makes!
  • whmscll
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Cookies and cakes are my downfall. In the past I have been unable to have one or two cookies and stop. Today I was really craving my (currently) favorite cookie, Trader Joe's Lattemiele Cookies. But I don't dare buy a whole package. Last time I ate the entire package in one day (about 2,000 calories -- yikes). Today when I zipped over to TJs for raw spinach and broccoli, they were giving away samples of my cookie! I looked at the package, and 5 cookies are only 160 calories! So I had three sample cookies and logged them (would have had 5, but didn't want to look like a pig at the sample counter, LOL). So I got to enjoy my cookies, not feel guilty, and not have them down in the kitchen calling my name the rest of the day.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    So I got to enjoy my cookies, not feel guilty, and not have them down in the kitchen calling my name the rest of the day.

Great for you! I have a special shelf in one of my kitchen cabinets that stores my 'treats'. I have rules about how and when I can go there. I never take out an entire package and eat from it. I only allow myself to go in there when I've pre-logged my snack and I'm still under my calories for the day. This allows me to still have some of those things I love and still stay on track. It does try to call my name sometimes, but rules are rules, I just can't go there again, not worth the health problems. :smile:
  • marekdds
    Options
    Holey crap, you guys are way better than I am. Get me near cookies and they are all gone. Kudos! I frequently bake them and give them away. I am better than I used to be, now it is more like 5 or 6 instead of two dozen.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It took a while for me to realize my latest NSV. I was getting annoyed at how wet my pant legs were getting when we FINALLY broke through winter and started the spring rains. Everyday, it seemed, the bottom of my legs were wet and cold half the morning. I didn't think I was shrinking that much in my old age. Wait! I'm not shorter, I have less thigh to stretch the material around and things were hanging low! I need to buy smaller pants, not shorter ones. :blush: