Dec 1-Dec 6 Check In Challenge Thread

Options

Replies

• imabizzybee
    imabizzybee Posts: 123 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Kris, I'm a certified Zumba instructor. It can be really hard on your knees, so be careful. It is the most common injury we see.If you are wearing regular sneakers, go get a cheap pair of keds or something else super-smooth on the bottom. You want to be able to twist and turn with almost no friction. I know a lot of people wear jazz or hip-hop shoes, and those really aren't great. Take care of those knees!!

Yes, after a lifetime of being told to avoid fat, it is really really hard to embrace that change. You are told it is a demon not an angel for decades. But your calories seem to be way too low to be healthy. Have a potato or sweet potato! Enjoy a piece of salmon if you can't make it to mammals or birds. You don't want your body in starvation mode. I'm 5'2" and my main goal for this year was to get my daily calories up to 1500 without gaining weight, after years of staying below 1200. I still freak out a little when I cross the 1200 line. I come pretty close to 1500. Losing in teeny increments (like a pound a month) but not gaining and I am much healthier.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Kris - might want to try bowling shoes they have very little heel rise and are designed to slide. I would also caution that you may want to delay zumba for a while til you are safely running/jogging again. I tend to be cautious towards injury prevention so may be advice you have already worked through. Hard to say in this format. Either way find a way. Jamm on!
    -
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Cynthia - I admire your perseverance. You are doing great things.
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good morning all. I am trying to get back to cooking for myself more, I love to cook but it's just too easy to eat the casseroles or pasta dishes that the wife has made for the kids. Lazy basically lol. Last night I grilled a piece of salmon for the first time. Oh my word.... Only problem was...I probably should have cut it into thirds or quarters cause I ate almost the whole thing....like 12-14 ounces.

6xptpyr06dax.jpg
  • JackTJr
    JackTJr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    2 Days in a row! Is a win for me!
  • MarkMcElvy
    MarkMcElvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello Tuesday. Hope the day finds everyone well.
  • jeffreyschmitt34
    jeffreyschmitt34 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Day 2 time to get in 10000 steps B)
  • TJ_Gauthier
    TJ_Gauthier Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard, Nick!

kilosierra, that's either a huge piece of salmon, or a tiny pan! Looks good, though. Have you thought about preparing a bunch of something to be able to re-heat as needed? I like to do that with fish and chicken. I'll cook an entire package of either (3-6 lbs) at a time and just reheat it and make a quick salad to go with it.
  • kilosierra83
    Options
    Welcome aboard, Nick!

kilosierra, that's either a huge piece of salmon, or a tiny pan! Looks good, though. Have you thought about preparing a bunch of something to be able to re-heat as needed? I like to do that with fish and chicken. I'll cook an entire package of either (3-6 lbs) at a time and just reheat it and make a quick salad to go with it.

It was a 1 pound filet, my wife ate a little and the kids all tried some. I plan to start cooking on Saturday or Sunday for the week. Smoke or grill a bunch of something and bag it up for the week.

• TJ_Gauthier
    Options
    It was a 1 pound filet, my wife ate a little and the kids all tried some. I plan to start cooking on Saturday or Sunday for the week. Smoke or grill a bunch of something and bag it up for the week.

Nice, that's what I do. I'll cook on Sunday and it usually lasts through the week. We just acquired 2 new roommates, so there's challenges with that.
  • kilosierra83
    Options
    I have 6 kids so I have to hide it too lol.
  • TJ_Gauthier
    Options
    Yea, my stepmom had 3 kids when my dad married her, then they had 3 more(so 6 total). He had a locking cabinet built into his closet. He kept the Little Debbie's right next to the handgun, lol.
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That salmon looks great!

Must be my Eastern European genes, because I have no issues with increasing fats. In fact, I have seen some articles that your ability to handle HFLC versus doing better on a HCLF diet is somewhat heritage/DNA based. What I am finding interesting is that the FB CarbNite group seems to be heading increasingly towards promoting what I think is high protein, no enough fat. I guess anything can happen in the wild wild west of a forum. Lots of talk of getting 1-1.3grams of protein per total lb body weight (not lean) and half that of fat. I'm typically opposite. I seem to naturally fall to 175ish grams fat a day with 100 or so protein and under 30 net carbs (calories range from 1700-2300 on any day). I am not a snacker. Have cocnut oil/heavy cream in morning, lunch and dinner. Typically nothing outside of that...unless it's carb nite of course.

Forgot all about the cold shower thing, until I was walking around outside in a sleeveless shirt prior to putting on my cardigan- starting my car, and walking to mail box in 20F temps. Then I remembered.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Had to take the day off work to get car repaired. Also went and got a pressure cooker, Have a Bone in Pork Roast in the Slow Cooker over a bed of Broccoli, Cauliflower, Sweet potato, Pepper, and Onions. Should be ready this evening so I can pull the bones, add them to bones I got at Kroger, and do up a batch of Bone Broth tonight, and still get to bed earlier than normal.
  • TJ_Gauthier
    Options
    John, that sounds awesome. Are the veggies cooked while the roast is? It seems like the Broccoli and cauliflower would become a weird texture.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Quick check in today. Home with another migraine. But avoiding comfort eating so that's a plus!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    TJ - Yeah they get pretty soft but that is the way I like em and they soak up more of the butter, fat and spices. Purely a personal preference.
  • aceronjr
    aceronjr Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thankful for the much needed rain, 2.5" at our home since Sunday evening. Hopefully we get a good snow fall in the Sierra's.
  • kc9ljo
    kc9ljo Posts: 19
    Options
    Day 2, still here!
  • 25mcaro
    Options
    Postponed cross training in favor of stretching today.