January Chat

Options
123457»

Replies

• JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh - and thanks Kathy for the yoga calorie info! I am grateful to have you on my team today :) Nor'easter for us on Tuesday!
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, Joan. I always think it's helpful to have more than one source for information, no matter what the topic.

:D
  • JoanLovell
    Options
    I tried entering a couple of days from my MFP diary and their food data base is not as complete. You can find ANYTHING on MFP.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    JoanLovell wrote: »
    ... some folks might find it fun to check out Chronometer.com - another food and exercise tracking website. It doesn't have a social support aspect (invaluable) but it does give you an amazing breakdown of the essential nutrients you are getting - both by individual food and in the aggregate. Also - of course - cals in and cals out on a nice bar graph. It's a very simple, clean design -- cooool.

Gonna check this out for the info, thanks Joan! ~ Kathy
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I've tried other weight loss sites and this is, by far, the best.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Joan: It wouldn't be an email, but you could probably do this in other ways yourself. You can set a reoccuring calendar appointment if you use something like outlook and ask to be reminded. You can set an alarm on your smartphone to ring once a day and to repeat until you turn it off. Just an idea or two. There are apps to send yourself reminders for meds, probably one for just general daily reminders, too.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I just noticed, if you use an android app, MFP also lets you set reminders.
  • JoanLovell
    Options
    I just noticed that too!!! Thanks!
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Just read an interesting tip, will find out of its true. For me one of the most difficult things to do is record what I eat every day. It just gets so darned boring! lol silly I know! And I know its a very effective tool! Anyway, an article said that if you record as little as 3 days a week it can result in weight loss so I am going to stop berating myself for "falling off the wagon" and if I miss a couple of days of recording, just go ahead and do it!
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    DreamOn145 wrote: »
    Just read an interesting tip, will find out of its true. For me one of the most difficult things to do is record what I eat every day. It just gets so darned boring! lol silly I know! And I know its a very effective tool! Anyway, an article said that if you record as little as 3 days a week it can result in weight loss so I am going to stop berating myself for "falling off the wagon" and if I miss a couple of days of recording, just go ahead and do it!

• sharondtd
    Options
    For what it's worth, I decided to make keeping the diary a brain exercise and a hobby. It has been very educational to learn the macro and micronutrients in the foods and the challenge is to stay close to the current NIH and CDC recommendations for nutritional balance.
  • JoanLovell
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sharon - I'm in the same mode as you are. I really enjoy having a better understanding and I've really cut down on salt - for one thing - after learning how much the foods I eat are contributing. I still eat more than the recs, but I shake on less, and never into food while it's cooking.

I never make progress without logging pretty much everything. If I don't, things start to go into my mouth without much thought.

I'm sure you are right, Dream. my career was in behavior change research, much of it around nutrition and weight loss. Studies have found that simply writing someone a letter telling them of their weight, the guidelines for a healthy weight and the risks of not paying attention it will motivate them to lose - not everyone, of course. The only question is what works for YOU. Different strokes. And yes - beating yourself up does no good whatsoever!
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options

I get bored with it also - on weekends I log, but I don't do comments, blogs etc... and I use the mobile ap. I can do it quickly and on the go. Every now and then I just do the "quick" add calories but not very often. I found if I take a complete break i get totally lax and wind up putting on a lb or two.

• gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Logging is my life. I usually log immediately after every meal/snack because otherwise I forget and then the weight comes back. This might be because I like my junk food too much, but I know that logging consistently is what works for me.
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use my tablet mostly to log my food. Sometimes it doesn't. Then MFP starts my daily count over. I'm on a 20 day streak. I've made the streak a challenge. I try to log on my break at work. I'm trying to make it a habit to read a couple of posts daily. If I'm on hear reading, I will log also. If I get away from logging for several days, I'm eating, I just know me. I cannot keep on track without logging.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Gram and Learn-- Right on! Or should I type Log On. To me, logging on the phone is so much easier than in a notebook, and the nutrition breakdowns so helpful. Logging helps keep me aware.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    My phone's camera is how I can log. I only rarely have to do a search through the food database. MFP's ability to scan and gather the needed info is what made me successful at logging and then they went and hooked up with other apps that help me with my activity level and walking regularly. I am here to stay B)
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I log on weight watchers by tablet or phone but as Iknow the we points of most of the things I eat I use Quick Add most of the time......... I like logging and I am sure it keeps me on track

Jean
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

It can be boring, but I've been amazed and a little frightened by what I've learned about my nutrition, LOL! It really helps me to make more of an effort to get more protein and less salt and sugar in my daily diet.

• Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    January Chat is closed...February Chat is now opened :D