MFP Calorie Counting

Options
trimminit
trimminit Posts: 191 Member
Hi, Calorie Counting Team!
I'm not your leader, but I started the thread as we are still waiting on a few leaders to join us.
Please use his thread to introduce yourself, discuss your progress and/or challenges, ask questions, etc.
Welcome to the challenge!

Replies

• mmcqueen927
    mmcqueen927 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Shay. I am starting AGAIN, to be healthy and fit by my 50th birthday in September. I hope to lose at least 11lbs by the end of this challenge, that will put me in onderland. My biggest struggle is sugar. I LOVE SUGAR, I want to learn to eat it in moderation. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to wean myself off? I know this may sound crazy but how does one teach themselves to just eat 2 cookies, not 10 :)

Shay
  • jcolglazier
    jcolglazier Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Jeanne here, I am one of the co-leaders of this group and I am getting here late!!! I have never participated in anything like this so bear with me as I learn the ropes. I am up for this challenge. I need to rid myself of 25 pounds. I have been using MFP faithfully for 1 year. I have been successful and happy with my results. I am ready to help you on your journey and know that you will be helpful to me on my journey. I am all about being healthy! My weight loss will be slow, but I have learned to accept that over the past year. I can't wait to get to know you!!

Hi Shay! I share your affection for sugar!

Thanks Triminit for starting this for us!

• julia_v1
    julia_v1 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP Calorie Counting Chicks - I'm one of the co-leaders too and I'm also learning the ropes. I need to shift 20 lbs this year and have been struggling keeping anything off since Oct due to one thing and another. Sugar and salt are tricky areas for me but we're going to nail it together. Will log my stats tomorrow as the iPad won't let me add anything to the spreadsheet. Looking forward to a successful journey to fit and fabulous! Shay - know your pain mine is chocolate but I love dark chocolate so that's much better as I eat less of it. Try only buying a small packet to start off with. When you're tempted to eat a cookie chew some gum, have some water or suck on a small mint candy. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    Hello all! I am a 40 year old single mom of 2 (almost) perfect kids! I work full-time, take part time classes, so finding time for ME is always a challenge, but I've been doing it!!
    In July 2013 I had major emergency surgery - I had a massive infection in my bowel and had about a foot of my small intestine and about a quarter of my bowel removed. In the year that followed, I gained 40lbs :( In July 2014 I received a clean bill of health and joined MFP; I've lost 44lbs since July by counting calories!! Who knew it could be so easy?!?!?
    I've also discovered I like running - again, who knew?!?!?! I've run two 5K races and one 10K races, hoping to do my first half marathon in June. Also hoping to reach my goal of 71lbs lost by August. 2015 will be a big year for me!! :)

Nice to "meet" you all! Let's do this!!
  • julia_v1
    Options
    Very inspiring BuddhaMom74 and congratulations on your big road to recovery - stories like this always inspire me to get up and do something and conquer my fear of the unknown. Thanks for sharing and definitely we've got this.
  • MPD6944
    MPD6944 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Glad to join with you in our weight loss journey! I've been losing weight semi-steadily over the last few years and am down a total of about 30 lbs. since January of 2013. I'm needing now to lose my last 10 lbs. or so. My weakness is not sugar, but salty things like chips which I ate a lot of over the holidays and now I have vowed not to buy any for a very very long time! BuddhaMom74 I am glad you are doing well. I also had to have surgery 8 weeks ago that took a foot of small intestines out and I am feeling so great now! I have Crohn's disease but right now they are just monitoring me and say I'm in remission now. yay. Anyone else wear a FitBit? I wear one everyday but am just getting back to working out after the surgery. Would love more FitBit friends!
  • dillyg08
    dillyg08 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, my name is Beverley. I hope to make my goal this year. Weight loss has been a struggle for me. I feel like I have a new attitude about it this time around. Good luck to you all.
  • mmcqueen927
    mmcqueen927 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just got a Fitbit Zip for Xmas. I just started wearing it on the 2nd. I'm still learning how it operates. How do you find Fitbit friends?
  • julia_v1
    Options
    Hi, I just got a Fitbit Zip for Xmas. I just started wearing it on the 2nd. I'm still learning how it operates. How do you find Fitbit friends?

Don't forget to add any exercise you are doing or have done since Jan 1st to the exercise spreadsheet everyone. I really want to get a fitness monitor and I'm really drawn to the Misfit Shine or Flash but so many people seem to have Fitbits that maybe Shine is the wrong direction to go in, it being so new. I haven't heard of Fitbit Zip mmcqueen927 will have a look into that one too - my head is spinning there are so many out there to choose from. Ideally I want a waterproof one and Shine seems to be the only one offering that right now!
  • jcolglazier
    Options
    Hey Everyone!!! Just checking in!! ARE YOU READY? No more excuses, this is the start of the first full week of 2015!! The holidays are officially over, time to get serious with your journey.

MDP, I have been using a FitBit for about 2 years. I love it!

MMCQUEEN, I use my FitBit, I will look at the Dashboard when I sync and see if I can figure out how to add friends!!

I will let you all know I have fresh veggies washed and cut up for the week. Fresh fruits are in the fridge. I have a personal goal of eating raw veggies 5 times this week. Seems like a small goal but I am going for variety, not talking lettuce! (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, red and yellow peppers)
    My fruits are apples, oranges, & strawberries.

Trying a new recipe tomorrow: Roasted chicken with peppers and onions. :):):)
  • cjborkowski
    cjborkowski Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm excited to start this challenge but have been having a difficult time eating the way I should since thanksgiving. I keep starting but get easily derailed into eating too much & the wrong foods. I'm ready to start again & I have also stocked my fridge with foods I should be eating.
    I also like sugar & sweets. I've found it best for me to cut it out of my diet as much as possible, the less I eat it the less I crave it.
  • Onoiam50
    Onoiam50 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have been on my health journey since joining MFP in April 2014 when I weighed 261.6lbs. I currently weigh 220.8lbs so have just lost over 40lbs. My ultimate goal is around 155 so I still have a lot to go. I have participated in many challenges and find them most helpful. For exercise I usually ride my stationary bike daily and use a fitbit flex. I will be limited in my exercise for the next couple of weeks whilst I recover from surgery. In the meantime I will continue to use MFP to monitor my calorie intake.
    Since the surgery I am even more motivated to reach goal.
  • jcolglazier
    Options
    Welcome cjborkowski!!!
    Hello Onoiam50!!!

You guys are amazing for committing to take care of your self!!! My goal for the day Water, Water, WATER!!!
  • MPD6944
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I see you can invite FitBit friends by email or by Facebook friends. My email is mdavis69@bellsouth.net if anyone wants to add me! :smile:
  • MPD6944
    Options
    julia_v1 wrote: »

Don't forget to add any exercise you are doing or have done since Jan 1st to the exercise spreadsheet everyone. I really want to get a fitness monitor and I'm really drawn to the Misfit Shine or Flash but so many people seem to have Fitbits that maybe Shine is the wrong direction to go in, it being so new. I haven't heard of Fitbit Zip mmcqueen927 will have a look into that one too - my head is spinning there are so many out there to choose from. Ideally I want a waterproof one and Shine seems to be the only one offering that right now!

I love my FitBit Zip. I really like that I can hide it (it's small and I clip it to the inside of my bra - LOL). Its the cheapest one also but does not monitor your sleep. I've been thinking of getting the wristband one but haven't yet.
  • julia_v1
    Options
    MPD6944 wrote: »

I love my FitBit Zip. I really like that I can hide it (it's small and I clip it to the inside of my bra - LOL). Its the cheapest one also but does not monitor your sleep. I've been thinking of getting the wristband one but haven't yet.

Thanks for the info it really helps me try and make a decision. Just when I think, yep that's the one I'll go for, I read some bad reviews and get put off. It really helps to hear from actual "real" users
  • julia_v1
    Options
    If anyone is having problems with adding their stats to the spreadsheet you can also log them here - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10041882/competition-weigh-ins-individual-records#Item_4 if it is easier. Very inspiring group we have here and thank you for sharing your personal challenges and how you are doing so much to overcome any obstacles that stand in your way - it really proves you should NEVER give up. Let's do this Team MFP CC
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options

Hi! I updated my weight as of Jan 1, but I don't see a place to add my fitness?? ...am I missing something??

• MPD6944
    Options

Hi! I updated my weight as of Jan 1, but I don't see a place to add my fitness?? ...am I missing something??

I believe that is if you joined the group with the intense fitness added. This group is just the calorie counting one.
  • Christine_1085
    Christine_1085 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody and just wanted to say Happy New Year. I am one of the motivators of our Jump Start challenge. Let us hope that this jump start will be the beginning of our healthy year. Take care