MFP Calorie Counting

Options

Replies

• julia_v1
    julia_v1 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Congratulations diddles19 for making it into the top three of most weight lost in the first week
  • julia_v1
    Options
    How's your second MFP Calorie Counting week going?
  • diddles19
    diddles19 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    julia_v1 wrote: »
    Congratulations diddles19 for making it into the top three of most weight lost in the first week

Thank you - pleased with myself although 2nd week not going so well :(

• julia_v1
    Options
    Getting started is always the hardest part, but after you get going, you're always glad you did it!
  • julia_v1
    Options
    It's the weekend - what are your calorie counting plans to stay on track this weekend?
  • julia_v1
    Options
    How is this challenge working out for you ladies?

Do you have any calorie busting tips you can share with the team?
    Do you only count calories or are you using another method?
    How do you monitor your calories? Only with MFP or another method?
    Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • dillyg08
    dillyg08 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    The calorie busting tip I would like to share is, drink a glass of water before your meals. This has helped with my food intake.

I only count calories, I have messed up a few times, but overall, counting helps with my accountability.

I only use MFP, to monitor my cals. I tried doing it in my head sometimes, but that is always a bad idea, for me at least.

I try not to eat back my calories. If I tap into it, I never use up all that I worked off. For instance, if I burn 500 cals, I will use maybe 200 or so.

Great questions. It open my eyes to areas that needs work.

Have s great day!
  • julia_v1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for sharing dillyg08 and great tip about the water. I also like to keep some exercise cals back but it does depend on the intensity, how long I've been working out and what form of exercise I've been doing especially if I've taken a long bike trip. Yes it is much easier to track with MFP but I do worry that the numbers it gives are off - it's a tricky one but glad it's working for you.
  • dillyg08
    Options
    Thanks for sharing dillyg08 and great tip about the water. I also like to keep some exercise cals back but it does depend on the intensity, how long I've been working out and what form of exercise I've been doing especially if I've taken a long bike trip. Yes it is much easier to track with MFP but I do worry that the numbers it gives are off - it's a tricky one but glad it's working for you.

You're welcome. I do agree that MFP, might not be 100% accurate, but if you put in your own meals based on what you're eating straight from the package you'll be good to go.

I'm from the Islands & I still like to eat our food, so a lot of it is estimated, but I can live with that because I have an opportunity to account for something.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    Hey peeps! I've really been struggling / floundering since just before Christmas :( I gained a few pounds over the holidays and I've been losing/gaining those same few pounds for the last several weeks. I'm really good during the day, but nighttime binging has somehow gotten the better of me :( Some days I've logged it all, and some days I've just abandoned logging.

For the upcoming weigh in, I will likely be up a pound. I'm sorry to let my team mates down :( I *think* I've finally gotten to the place where I'm ready to kick *kitten* again....

I just wanted to let you all know where I'm at...
  • phoebelayla
    phoebelayla Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    Hi, just stopping by frow the low carb team to see what I can learn. I follow what Beverley said- I need to log it all to keep myself accountable. The bar code scanner is my friend. I try not to eat much back out of my work-out cals, unless it is a big workout, or that was my plan on a special day.

Good luck to you all!
  • julia_v1
    Options
    May not log my calories today - it's my Birthday
  • julia_v1
    Options
    Hey peeps! I've really been struggling / floundering since just before Christmas :( I gained a few pounds over the holidays and I've been losing/gaining those same few pounds for the last several weeks. I'm really good during the day, but nighttime binging has somehow gotten the better of me :( Some days I've logged it all, and some days I've just abandoned logging.

For the upcoming weigh in, I will likely be up a pound. I'm sorry to let my team mates down :( I *think* I've finally gotten to the place where I'm ready to kick *kitten* again....

I just wanted to let you all know where I'm at...

It's so super hard and I've been struggling since Oct so I know where you're coming from but please don't think you're letting the team down...that's not the case. Take it easy and we will get there.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    It's so super hard and I've been struggling since Oct so I know where you're coming from but please don't think you're letting the team down...that's not the case. Take it easy and we will get there.

Thanks! I appreciate the support!
  • mmcqueen927
    mmcqueen927 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Happy Birthday!!!
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    I managed to salvage the last half a week and lost 0.8lb!! Yay! Back at it! I leave for the Dominican on April 7 - so new goal: current weight 163.7 - I want to be 150lbs on the day I leave. That gives me 10 weeks to lose just under 14lbs. I WILL do this!!
  • julia_v1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I managed to salvage the last half a week and lost 0.8lb!! Yay! Back at it! I leave for the Dominican on April 7 - so new goal: current weight 163.7 - I want to be 150lbs on the day I leave. That gives me 10 weeks to lose just under 14lbs. I WILL do this!!

Fabulous news and what a great boost. Sometimes we just a little movement to give us the inspiration to move forward...and yes you will do this.
  • julia_v1
    Options
    It's Weigh-in Wednesday today so head over to the spreadsheet when you get a chance. Can you believe another 10 days of this jump start challenge has already whizzed by. Looking forward to seeing how everyone has done.
  • julia_v1
    Options

Happy Birthday!!!

Thank you. Don't think I did too badly calorie wise yesterday. Had a steakhouse lunch but they're speciality is Buffalo which is supposed to be a very low fat steak meat so I had a protein high lunch which filled me up for the rest of the day. There were a few roast potatoes on the side and a gorgeous salad. Had a small slice of apple pie that I'd popped in the oven to cook in the morning which was delish. Decided not to log my food only my exercise..hoping the damage isn't so bad. It's always a struggle...whilst everyone is making a new start and getting back on track in January after Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, I always have the additional Birthday treats to get past (which I do enjoy)...Even though there's still left over pie and chocolate treats they will be factored into my calorie allowance and I will now boldly re-focus and hopefully see some good results on the scale. More exercise and movement on the cards to get things shifting.
  • dillyg08
    Options

Happy Birthday!!!

Thank you. Don't think I did too badly calorie wise yesterday. Had a steakhouse lunch but they're speciality is Buffalo which is supposed to be a very low fat steak meat so I had a protein high lunch which filled me up for the rest of the day. There were a few roast potatoes on the side and a gorgeous salad. Had a small slice of apple pie that I'd popped in the oven to cook in the morning which was delish. Decided not to log my food only my exercise..hoping the damage isn't so bad. It's always a struggle...whilst everyone is making a new start and getting back on track in January after Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, I always have the additional Birthday treats to get past (which I do enjoy)...Even though there's still left over pie and chocolate treats they will be factored into my calorie allowance and I will now boldly re-focus and hopefully see some good results on the scale. More exercise and movement on the cards to get things shifting.

Birthday comes only once a year. Glad you did not short change yourself. At the end of the day, we really can eat what we want. The key is portion control.