Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Good Morning, just a quick pop in, I finally was able to finish watching the Webinar, (good thing they continue to run it for 48 hours after it goes live) plus, got caught up in FB. John is up and outside already and, using the hose, we have very high water pressure, has killed 2 moles by hosing down the mounds and getting the critters as they try to scurry across the yard. What an exciting morning this has been.

Going to be a full day again. I have a therapy session at 11:30 and will stop at Harbor Freight on my way home and buy a surveillance system. At first, I thought a discount place would not have high quality electronics, but the reviews are very good. 4.7 stars out of 5 from 515 reviews, so most comments were a 5 and they say it's easy to set up and good 4-way viewing. We'll see if I can set it up and find out what critter I'm dealing with. Maybe I've been going about this all wrong because I don't know for sure what I'm dealing with now, although, I did kill one rat in a trap early on. They are just so much smarter than I am.

Yes, Marcie, looks like Andy is going into the dog portrait artistry. Maybe he'll consider a llama also. I hope Dad enjoyed his soup. Those flavors sound so good to me, but I know what you mean about a bowl of salt, me too, so many restaurant foods are too salty for me these days. How our tastes have changed...for the better.

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Sheryl, I bet Andy would love to do a llama portrait. Something different! Hope John gets those moles gone!

Well, off to the Spaghetti Factory for lunch. Been hankering for their chicken Marsala, and just need to get away from this office for a bit.

Have a great day all.
  • sannferris
    Back from therapy 2 hours ago and fixed lunch and now, I don't feel like starting another chore. I skipped Harbor Freight because John decided he wants to go and I didn't want him sitting in the waiting room for an hour. We'll go together tomorrow and make a day of it and go out to eat, I still have rewards at Shari's, and take a drive. Sounds so nice, I can hardly wait. I'm always excited to get John away from home and break up his routine...more like a RUT.

Marcie, I drive by our Spaghetti Factory every time I go to oncology and therapy and this past year, it always looks closed down. Parking lot is just about empty, although, the sign is still up, but the place looks empty, but then, the lights are still on. I'll have to investigate and check it out because your chicken marsala sounds so good. Last time we were there, many years ago after I had just started NM, I had their spinach ravioli, delish.

Well, John came in and asked me to come out to help.

• arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Went back to see when I last wrote and it has been a full week. I have had my ups and downs learning this new computer which has taken up time but I am learning and feeling more comfortable with it. I decided not to spend the money on microsoft office so am using open office which is free. It's similar but different so have that to learn too and I'm working on going with a new email but ran into a snag with it today. I didn't want to put an adblocker on this computer because of doing swagbucks and juno is full of ads on the side so goes slowly. We have free email with our telephone company so working on that. It will be a job to change over since I've used juno for 20 years but it is time. I've mostly been doing the usual stuff. We did got to a community theater production of Alice last Saturday night. The part of Alice was played by my uncle Joe's granddaughter – another one I've never met. Three of the grandkids are at camp this week so hurried and mailed them each a short letter on Monday. I was home all day Monday and got a bunch of little jobs off the list and took care of a few more today. Yesterday the battery backup my computer is on died so we went to town and got a new battery and Ralph replaced it. It's nice for when the electricity goes off so I can close things down properly. We also shopped for some thin wire cause Clark wanted to see how grandpa's minitiature hay baler works. A few years ago we couldn't find wire to work but Hobby Lobby gave us success this time. They found some fine dry grass at a neighbor and made about 12 bales this morning. They make a cute little bale – like about 1 by 3 inches. Ralph left a bit ago for a field day and I have a fair superintendent meeting this evening. My sister sent over a sack of sweet corn home with Ralph at noon (all husked so need to deal with it too) so won't run out of things to do.

Anew, what will be your project when the garden is done? Hope those watermelons taste good. I've never heard of garlic chives. Do you dry some to use when the gardening season is past. Cool that the pillows will work for you.

Isabella, yum on the zucchini bread. Thanks for sharing what your typical work week is like. Our Bible study is ready to decide on a new one. I can't go tonight but I'm sure whatever they choose will be fine. I've enjoyed what we've done the last year – didn't take any prep.
    We only have two teachers in a class if a couple teaches together. We choose to have more in ours to make it easier with the age we have. Classes have two teachers but they teach different Sundays. Ralph wants me to go to the class he is teaching this Sunday so got things arranged for that.
    Guess I didn't mention that after you put the apple cider in a jar, you cover it with saran wrap (and use a rubber band to make sure it stays tight and then poke some homes in it – about the size of a fork time. They can fly in but can't get out.
    Beautiful frame.

Sheryl, hope the security light lets you know what you are dealing with – whatever obnoxious things they are. Smart rats are not good. Yay on John and the moles.
    Amazes me that Christina still gives to others in spite of all the pain she has. My friend here that has chari is now at a neurosurgeon with her oldest son trying to figure out what's going on with him.
    What are you studying in your Bible study?
    Glad you got a good report. Slightly larger is something to watch – will pray it stays that size since you are doing okay with the meds you are on now.

Oh my, you'll never forget your trip to the State Fair this year. I've wandered around looking for my at places too. So frustrating. So glad your car was there and they were so helpful. Wow, Andy is very talented. Wonder if Cisco will recognize himself.

Cooking some carrots and cauliflower together to eat and then will be heading out soon. Tomorrow will be the usual errands. Need to finish gift stuff – we celebrate 5 birthdays this Sunday. Then I want to get the house vacuumed and start to be ready for Sunday since we have some going to do on Saturday.
  • arobed53
    Oh my, I wrote a long post and pasted it in - evidently I forgot to post it and didn't keep the file cause I had a problem and had to close the computer down. I'll try again - another day. Boo hoo hoo.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. Debora, your long post is here, there must have been a glitch and it was hidden from you last night. It's always good to read about your week, so full and busy and fulfilling.

No new mole hills in the back yard, so if there is no activity for a couple days, those 2 moles that John got were probably the culprits. Moles are loners and there aren't usually a lot of them, it only takes one to tear up an entire yard. Fortunately, they only breed once a year, so chances of babies down there are nil. Gophers, on the other hand, breed 3-4 times a year and usually have large litters, I'm so glad we have moles and not gophers. I'll go check the area behind the garage later, that's where John killed the second mole yesterday.
    But, the critter in the barn is very active, the little board was moved again so he made access to get in and out. And, another hole in a feed bag and a mess on the floor. The bait stations look untouched. I've got to move those bags and put them in a more secure place, but I just don't know where right now. Like I said before, I may have to wait until they are used up and not buy so much at a time from now on.

Today, we'll have a day out, if John remembers, even if he doesn't...we're going out! All our chores can wait for tomorrow, my mantra, "there's always tomorrow".

• arobed53
    edited July 2017
    Oh, Sheryl, glad to see I did post it. Here I was working on another one. Good thing I dropped it to read your post. So I can delete it and do something else. I got the rest I needed for Sunday when we shopped. We celebrate 6 birthdays this month. And I'm gong to cut the sweet corn off the cobs and use it for Sunday too. That's a project for tomorrow.

Yay on no more mole holes. Keep working on the critter and have a good outing today.

Oh, one more thing. I have a new email address if anyone wants it. It is ralphanddebora@wheatstate.com. I'll still be able to get email at the juno one but hope to slowly close that one out.
  • sannferris
    Thank you Debora, I added your new email to my contacts.

Good Morning, yesterday was a good day. Started slow, John slept in and then puttered around an hour or two. I almost wasn't sure if I could talk him into going, he forgot all that we had talked about on Friday. We left the house at noon, went to Shari's for breakfast/lunch. Noon was lunchtime, but we ordered breakfast food. Belgian waffle with fresh strawberries and whipped cream with an egg and 2 bacon. John told me to order for him so I got 2 exactly the same, he ate want I wanted. He said it was very good, so I came out the winner.
    On our way to Harbor Freight, we passed by Orchard's Feed, the farm supply store that takes roosters, I wanted to see how many people were ahead of me on the waiting list. Plus, they built a new building and we hadn't been there in years, since they moved from their historic little "shack" into that huge new building. The guy behind the counter couldn't find the list and said that the person in charge of the list was out yesterday, so I didn't get my answer, but we took the time to walk through the store and see everything. They have added ACE Hardware to their inventory, so they are much more than just a little feed store now. Then, on to Harbor Freight and we walked the aisles and looked at everything all over again. I know their inventory like the back of my hand. Picked up the surveillance system and several other things. One more stop at Wilco Farm Supply to pick up a bag of llama pellets, they get a treat when they get sheared and got home close to 5 pm.

I'm even more confused this morning than ever...the little board that is under the barn door that always ends up outside every morning, was inside this morning. I will work on setting up that camera today so I can see what's going on out there at night. I am so curious to see what we're dealing with.

No new mole mounds in the back yard this morning, yay!! Next job to keep John busy is to fill in a lot of holes with dirt. He has displaced a lot of dirt by watering in those mounds and flushing the dirt down into the tunnels. The back yard looks like a mine field after all the explosions.

The coffee is ready and I can smell that great aroma. I will grab my mug and go watch Lucky Dog and Dr. Chris, Pet Vet. I just got up and I'm ready to sit and rest in front of the tv already. Sheesh.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Hi all.

Didn't do too much today. Just went out for breakfast, went to the store, got gas, came home and did a load of laundry. Will finish that up tomorrow. I think I'm pretty much donesville for the day today? Have a great night eveyone!
  • sannferris
    YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS !!!!!!!!

We got the cameras and monitor all set up in the barn yesterday. A perfect view of the bags of corn and another of the door, to catch any action. I set the system to record from 9 pm last night to 6 am this morning, covering all hours of darkness and when I went out at 6:20 to feed and check on everything...no activity in the barn at all. The little board is exactly where I placed it last night and the bags are untouched, no new holes and no corn on the floor. Unbelievable, as well as frustrating and a bit funny. Like I said before, this critter is a lot smarter than me.

Oh yes, Good Morning.

It turned out to be a good test run as far as recording goes. I didn't realize that it would record in 10 minute video clips, but that's what I have, so it's easier to scan through than a full 9 hours of boredom. I'll try again tonight. If nothing ever happens again, I am still happy that we bought this system, one of those "$200.00 mouse traps", ha ha ha. We can also use it later for other areas. We may need it if the kids in the development chose to climb the back fence. I'm expecting the worst where kids are involved, their balls end up in our pasture all the time. We toss them back, but one of these days, I'm sure that a kid is going to try to get it on his own.

I hear John getting up, so I'll keep this short and see what today brings.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited July 2017
    Good morning ladies,
    Saturday morning I picked up a "chick flick" called "Bad Moms", some chicken salad, some popcorn and potato chips and headed over to Jami's house to get my hair dyed and hang out since she is still somewhat laid up from her broken ankle. We had a really nice time. They removed her cast on Friday but were not happy with the progress on her ankle. She has fallen 3 times with the cast on while on the crutches and probably re-injured the ankle at least once. They really wanted to put a cast back on for another 3 weeks but she convinced them to go with a brace and a boot. They'll see how that goes and if she is in a lot of pain as she gradually puts weight on the foot they will put the cast back on. She is going to Italy in a month so she really needs to heal. It is really tough to get her to stay off it and just sit and relax though!!

Anew, glad you got all the cuttings you need from the tomatoes. I agree about the hydroponics. Too bad about one of the watermelons getting snipped but it is easy to do with a tangle of leaves and vines. Thank you for the kind words about my dad. Happy to hear the pillows work for you guys. Also good to hear the review about sleeping with it. That is what I wanted it for so sounds like it wouldn't work. Dan bought me one of the U shaped ones for sleep but it was very tight and uncomfortable. I guess we'll keep it for something but it was disappointing. The garlic chives sound wonderful! I have never heard of them. I am definitely putting them on my "some day" list.

Sheryl, sorry to hear that it turned out to be rats. I can't wait until you get the camera hooked up and get some details on exactly what you're dealing with. Good that the Dr. decided that a watch and see approach was still appropriate for now. Sounds good that you have a coconut oil and lavender oil or frankincense blend to use when the other oil runs out. You amaze me! Not only did you pull the tree stump out, you cut up the wood and split the logs. Did you split them with an axe like in the movies? I am also amazed that Christina has so much going on and still goes to help others. God bless her! You mentioned going to Burger King because you still had a bogo. I haven't been to a BK in at least 30 yrs but had a bogo so a coworker and I went a couple of days ago and got a whopper. It was decent. At least it is still all beef or so they claim. ;)

Debora, I love to go to community theater or any play for that matter. Dan not so much so I don't go often. New computer systems are such a pain. They make me very cranky! ;) I would have been content to use XP for the rest of my life! Thanks for the new e-mail address. I will send you an e-mail just so I can get you into my autocomplete system. Neat that you wrote little letters to the grandkids while at camp. Something they will cherish. I am very jealous of the sweet corn you got. I will have to pick up some corn when I go shopping today. :p Thanks for the rest of the info on the apple cider vinegar. I will try that next time.

Marcie, what a state fair to remember. I only lost a car once. I was at a LARGE mall where they used pictures of vegetables and fruits to show what section of the lot you were parked in. I noted that I was parked in the "tomato" section. When I came out of the mall into what I thought was the tomato lot, it turned out I was actually in the "orange" lot! :smiley: Sheesh! I love the painting of Cisco. Is he going to send it to you when he is finished? He is very talented! You never said whether you tried the new restaurant that opened near work?

Well, I'd better go get ready for church. Hubby got really annoyed last time I posted on a Sunday because I spent too much time here and we were a tad late for church! Have a wonderful week my friends and stay cool!
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Sheryl, looks like we were posting at the same time. :) Too funny that there was no activity now that you have the "$200 mouse trap" installed! You're right though, the cameras will be useful for other things as well. We will stay tuned for further developments! Have an awesome day!
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Good afternoon everyone, had some friends come in yesterday and now they have gone home. Made a nice big breakfast and included my first watermelon in a fruit bowl including blueberries and green grapes. Yep, you read that right, we picked our first watermelon out of the garden yesterday and it was 17 pounds, eek! Hubby has a fish scale we used by putting the watermelon back into it's harness and clipping it to the scale yesterday. This melon is bright red, sweet, sweet and juicy. Can't wait to eat the other three that are still out there when ready. Yum!

Sanferris-It's so funny that creature decided to play hide and seek with you. Can't wait to hear what it is.

Isyvanek-I love the pillow, it did not work for my husband to sleep with because he sleeps on his stomach. I have not tried yet to sleep with it other than on the couch and it is awesome for that but I sleep on my side for the most part. If not on my side I am on my back.

Have a great day everyone.

• sannferris
    Good Morning, John is up already, so not much time here, but popped in to say...no activity in the barn again. I still don't know what that was, but maybe it's gone forever and I'll never know. Just another one of those animal mysteries.
    Good news is that there is also no mole activity, Yay!!
  • anewstart22
    edited July 2017
    Good morning everyone, It's 86 degrees and 65% humidity out there right now. It was a bit cooler earlier this morning at 81 degrees and 78% humidity. I was able to get two cherry tomato plants removed from the garden today which leaves three tomato plants to take out sometime this week. I'm all icky sweaty now too. Sheesh, it's just too hot out there.

Sannferris-Good news on the animal and moles being gone. Maybe that animal smelled you after spending the time out there to set up the camera. It might be back next week. Good their gone now though.

• sannferris
    edited July 2017
    Good Morning. Didn't have a chance to pop in yesterday, but wanted to tell you that there was no activity in the barn yesterday. I came up with a whole theory about the possible reason. I've seen some rodent/pest repellents that are electronic and put out a ultra high frequency pulse or hum or tone or something to keep pests away, I thought that maybe the surveillance cameras and monitor themselves might be putting out a high pitched tone that is irritating the critter.
    But, I caught something on camera last night. I've just been going over the video clips this morning and on the one at 11 pm, I can see the board move and a critter enter. It looks bigger than a rat, but I can't make out exactly what it is. I will need to move the camera closer to the door and zoom in on it. Maybe tonight, I'll get more answers. Oh, even though I can see the creature enter the barn, the bags of feed don't appear to be touched, no cracked corn on the floor, so I have no idea why he came in. The clips are in 10 minute segments, so I could check the beginning of each clip and saw where the board was moved and then watched the entire previous clip to see the action. Since the board is already moved out of the way, I don't think I can easily detect when the critter leaves and I don't want to sit through hours of videos of nothing to see when he left. Just watching 6 minutes of nothing happening on the video that has the action seemed like an eternity. And, all for a few seconds of scurrying out of camera view.

Yesterday was a good day for me, but frustrating for John. I got to Bible study and we had another good discussion and visiting. I stopped at Great Clips and got a haircut and did some grocery shopping on my way home. When I got home, I could see a lot of things that led me to believe that John had an electrical problem. The circuit breaker box was open and all the doors left open and extension cords all over. Long story short, John tried to use the outlet on the front deck and it does not work. We've always had trouble with it and even though we've replaced it twice with weather proof receptacles, it quits working after a very short time and I think it's due to being outside in the weather, so we gave up on it. But, John forgot and tried to troubleshoot the problem and fix it while I was gone. I calmed him down and put everything back the way it should be.

I know that these last few weeks, some of you have asked questions and since I didn't answer right away, I have forgotten which ones wanted to know what. If there's something you still want to know and I never got back to you, please ask again. I have to be better about responding to your posts the very next morning, so I don't forget, and not just ramble on and on about my day.

Now, back to more rambling...

I got John all prepared last night for me to be able to sit and watch the Webinar #5 about cannabis and when I clicked on it, it wouldn't play. After clicking and refreshing everything I could, I gave up. It is replaying OK this morning, so I think I'll watch it, or as much as I can, before John gets up. It runs for 48 hours, so I have tomorrow morning to see it as well.

I also got an email, by way of The Truth About Cancer that I'm following, about another web series on the immune system. It's also free, so I registered for that too. It is running each day this week and is only available each day, so I missed yesterday completely, it won't repeat. However, what part I listened to on Monday really did not interest me, so I'm not going to bust my neck to get to over to it. Not that it was not interesting, but it was info that I already heard many times before from the other seminars I've watched.

Now, I need to refill my coffee mug.
  • anewstart22
    Good afternoon everyone, it's 93 degrees and 53% humidity out there right now. Our heat index is 105-109 again today. It's hot but dry out there which is much easier to handle than hot and wet with humidity. After I watered the garden this morning I removed the last two tomato plants and it's getting bare out there, lol. Good thing because it is far too hot to garden anyway. I do need to start seeds for the fall planting though and have decided to grow all new tomatoes that I haven't grown before. So, the cuttings I took will either be tossed or I'll give them to someone else if they want them.

Sannferris-Good to know you had some kind of movement, is it possible you have a possum getting into the barn?

• sannferris
    edited July 2017
    Anew, it could very possibly be a possum. We've had possums before, but usually under the house, not in the barn. I didn't think it was possums or raccoons because they usually don't go for cracked corn over "meat", and our crippled ducks and chickens are easy pickin's.

I'll go back to the video and see if I detect more possum characteristics.

I moved the camera from 10 feet to 4 feet away from the door, so instead of a big overview, I should see more detail tonight.
  • sannferris
    I checked out the video again, but it's just so hard to tell. I don't think the nose is long enough for a possum, but the rest of him looks like it could be. Hopefully, tonight will tell all.
  • anewstart22
    It'll be interesting to know what you find Sannferris.

Good morning everyone, it's 80 degrees and 85% humidity with a heat index of 105-109 again today. I watered and sprayed the garden with neem oil this morning, because while removing the tomato plants yesterday, I noticed white flies everywhere. So, tomorrow I will feed the water melon and bell peppers while I water.

Don't have much more to chat about, have a great day everyone!