Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Also, I posted this on Facebook last night, but if you don't make it over there...

Someone here on MFP posted this pic and I just got a chuckle out of it. When I visited my Grandpa in the early 90s, he had done the same thing to his toilet (but he also used duct tape...he duct taped everything!). While I was there, if I had to "go" I would get in the car and drive down the street to the Circle K convenience store! Grandma would just use a chamber pot!

dizdzojrzcye.jpg

After Grandma passed, Grandpa came and stayed with us for awhile, and he actually duck tape the toilet seat so you couldn't lower it. I nearly fell in when I went in there in the middle of the night. I had to put a stop to that one!
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    That toilet saga is too funny. I'd go down the street too, lol.

Good morning everyone, it's 84 degrees and 68% humidity outside. Watered this morning and tried out the new hammock for the watermelon. Think it's a winner for sure. I took some old white knitted shade cloth and put grommets in each corner, then secured it to the trellis with reusable zip ties. Now the watermelon has room to grow and shouldn't drop off the support. It was getting so big it was tearing all 5 layers of supports I had given it. Now need to make 6 more hammocks for the other watermelons that are growing out there and about the size of small apple right now. I was going to feed today but the watermelon wrangling kind of took that time away for setup. I like to have all watering done before the sun is high in the sky and shining hot on the garden. If I can get out there and finish before 8:30 am I have some morning shade on me. I still come in sweating though.

Have a great day everyone.

• sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Good Morning. John's still in bed, but he's stirring. I read another article this morning from Chris Beat Cancer and am bewildered. It's about how traditional chemotherapy causes more cancer to spread and return later. It stated that the chemo makes the cancer cells hide in the blood stream and flow through the entire body and then pop up elsewhere. I'm feeling so good right now, I am not going to change my treatment, but it sure gives me something to think about. I think I can balance the traditional therapy with the alterative treatments of essential oils and nutrition. However, I may ask my oncologist more questions, just to pick his brain.

I see the surgeon next Monday, have a CT scan on Thursday and see my oncologist the following Monday.

Marcie, I guess that high toilet is a child's nightmare, however, if you were old enough to drive to the Circle K, you were no longer a child. We got a riser seat for John's Mom when she lived here, it's back in the box in the barn now. I hung on to it in case John or I need it someday. I also have handrails and bath tub bench that I got when I thought my Mom was going to come visit. Gayla is using them now. Came in very handy for her. She's doing great, lots of walking (they went to Costco two days ago and Walmart yesterday) and takes her 16 steps up and down to their home very easily now. Her follow-up appointment was a few days ago and the doctor said she's a success story. Healing very well and no longer needs those terrible, uncomfortable compression stockings.

Another beautiful day, weather-wise, in the forecast. We'll be outside getting more chores done.
  • mygnsac
    Hello all.

We got to a little over 107 yesterday. Shouldn't get that high today, but will still be in the triple digits. I'm over it!

Went out for breakfast at a new restaurant this morning. Nice wait staff, but wasn't impressed with the food. Probably won't go back there again.

After breakfast made a run over to Costco, and then got gas there as well.

Did one load of laundry so far, but will probably until tomorrow morning to do the rest. Just don't like running the dryer when it's so hot out.

I think I'm going to chill for the rest of the night and just watch some of my recorded shows. Just not in the mood to do productive stuff. Ha!

Have a good night everyone.
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Well, this week had less time than I thought I would at home but I didn't do any babysitting. Monday I got a call about joining some ladies for lunch. The lady I work on the Echoes with had her last sibling pass away in Pennsylvania and she was not able to go out to see him earlier or for the service. She's 87 and he was 7 years older and loss of memory. So we enjoyed sandwiches and pie at a local restaurant. I picked up some things at the grocery store and was home the rest of the day.
    Tuesday I got up and made a hashbrown casserole. I left it at the church and a friend baked and used it for the meal to feed the family before the visitation. We went to town and took my Uncle Joe out for lunch at Wendy's and looked at computers more. (When we were leaving the house, I had the casserole on my lap and raised my purse up so Ralph could closer my car door. I didn't watch where I lifted it and almost got my hand shut in the door but I reacted when it hit it a little so no damage was done.) When we got home I baked 24 cupcakes and frosted them. I took them to church when we went to the visitation. Many many people there.
    Wednesday morning I walked with my friend and then stayed at the church to help prepare the meal they were serving after the funeral. I had time to go home and change. We went to the service early since we knew there would be a crowd. The obituary was in the form of a letter written to Kameron. Pastor Tim did a good job with his message. It was probably the largest funeral we've had. They served around 700. Our foods committee did a great job figuring out how to keep everyone moving. Then they had a sharing time during the meal. I had the rest of the day at home so kept up with basic stuff. Ralph and our missionary friend loaded his trailer with 23 boxes of books to take up to KC to start the shipping process. They were sure glad when our son, Alan, showed up and carried several boxes out.
    Thursday morning I went to church to get the SS material for the 3 year olds as I was asked to teach. Quite a few people are going to Texas for the funeral for the cousin. I took some boxes to the local meat locker (people use them when they buy meat) and then met up with 5 others and drove about 30 minutes to eat at the place two of my cousin's granddaughters have bought. The special was bierrocks - freshly baked and we had cherry kolaches for dessert. I brought a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread home. It was fun to go and lot of good visiting. That evening was Willing Workers. We had a special project of cutting 1x5" strips that a woman will use for a craft at a church camp coming up. I'll finish up what we didn't done. I'm taking what didn't get counted and cut along with me tomorrow.
    Today was our usual errand day. (I didn't get this sent last night so today is now yesterday.) After the errands, I spent the rest of the day getting the house back into shape. I didn't think it was that bad but I must have been moving slowly cause it took me quite awhile to do it. I also planned out what I needed to do food wise so would be ready to get busy on it when I got home today.
    So today (Saturday), I went to town and helped with the 4-H Fashion Revue. I had an easy job of checking people in as they arrived - gave them their numbers that they display on their outfits and helped them know where to go. And there was time to visit with people and I did get some of the strips I had along counted out so made a little progress. I decided against staying for the public fashion revue in the afternoon so grabbed a bit to eat and went to Great Clips for a haircut. A girl I know is working there and I thought she did a nice job. Now that she works close I'll try and give her my business. When I got home, I did my food stuff - made a fruit salad (pineapple, grapes and strawberries), did the dishes, got the rice cooker and crockpots ready, made pudding pie and did the dishes again. Oh yeah, I did order a new computer last night. I thought the price had jumped up (looked at the wrong one) and we had pretty much decided. Glad I did cause mine went to blue screen again last night but came back on okay. I hope setting up the new one goes pretty easy. I do have someone I can call to help me if needed. Put out some cider vinegar in a jar - hope there are a lot of gnats in it in the morning.
    Tomorrow is church and the usual crowd will be here for dinner.

So Marcie, what color are your nails now? You're just as busy as I am - just in the same location every day. :) Love the food pictures. Yummy. Glad Cisco is calming down from all the noise of the 4th. Very cool on the clothes you found on sale. So glad you popped in. Your extra clothes will go to a good cause. Great job on the yard work. I've asked Ralph to bring me a hoe and a pruner from the farm and little by little I want to clean up around the front porch and get some vines off the house. Don't know if it will beautify the place but it will make it easier to get up the stairs. You are a detail oriented person with all you do on those forms. Oh my on the toilet stories. The stool was higher when we visited my sister. So warm out where you are.

Anew, looks like you'll have some good watermelons soon. You're pulling things up in your garden and here the tomatoes are just getting a good start and will go until fall. Cool that you figured out how to do your own cuttings and can keep the plants you like going on your own.

Sheryl, the visit with Gerry and Marilyn (did I get that right - can't go back and look or I'll loose all this) went so well. You know how to present things to John (for now). The Blue Apron meals will be a help to them. Glad your mom decided to go along on the 4th. Hope she kept it pleasant for Norma but it is good for her to get out and see family. Hope you find out what's moving the piece of wood - if nothing else, to satisfy my curiosity.
    I have a hard time believing that about chemo when I know quite a few people that have had cancer and chemo and it has been years and no cancer has returned. Good thing to ask about. Looks like you'll be doing a lot of running around next week with your appointments.

Isabella, glad you had a relaxing 4th and good food along with good company (Dan). Yes, if they would have found oil, we would have gotten something from it. They pump water in as they drill and it take a long time for it dry I guess when it's below the ground. So after it gets dry they can turn it back to farmland.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. I plan to.
  • anewstart22
    Good morning everyone, it's 86 degrees and 63% humidity. We were supposed to get some rain tomorrow but now they have changed it to Tuesday and Wednesday instead. I fed everything in the garden today and I sprayed with Neem oil and think I will take some cuttings tonight. I have plenty of mix to pot them up into. While feeding I could see lots of baby anoles out there and believe they are really helping with the bug issues because I am not having near the problems of previous years. They say if you have lots of anoles in your garden you have a balanced garden and don't use bad pesticides. Well, that happens to be very true, I don't use bad stuff out there. I have two female flowers on the volunteer squash in my compost pile and seems to be a zucchini plant. I need to go out and see if the flowers are open and hand pollinate them.

All six of those baby watermelons are viable with three of them now the size of a large orange, two the size of a small apple, and one the size of a small plum. I cut more hammocks and we need to add the grommets to the corners of each one. The watermelon we put into the new shade cloth hammock is hanging there nicely, I think this is surely the fix I needed for trellising them. I don't know if this one single watermelon plant can actually support 7 watermelons at one time. I am not sure it could feed all those melons like it should, so I will keep watch, and if it seems to be suffering I will feed twice a week, instead of just once per week. This should provide for the heavy feeding it needs. I might even contact the liquid food company and ask them what they think.

Mygnsac-107 degrees, whew, that is hot. I feel for you.

Arobed53-I think I will be happy when the garden is done for the summer, it's getting way to hot out there. I can plant tomatoes in the fall and a lot of times you can keep them growing through winter here if covered during the cold snaps. So, I will definitely be planting in the big beds hubby just built a top for so I could easily cover them and keep them from freezing.

• sannferris
    edited July 2017
    Good Morning. Felt so good to work outside all day yesterday. I'm getting more stamina back again so that I can work longer periods of time without taking a break. My neighbor Dona said that she takes a short power nap in the heat of the day and goes back to work. I don't think that would work for me, first off, I'm not a nap person (except when I was very sick) and, second, I know me...if I stop, I don't get started again, I take the rest of the day off.

Debora, you got it right, Gerry and Marilyn. We had such a wonderful time and John participated so much, it was like old times. I was so happy. Lately, John gets extremely quiet in a group and hardly talks at all. We actually don't get into many groups anymore, but even a group of 2, he is so afraid of saying the wrong thing since he doesn't hear all of the conversation and may misunderstand what's going on. But, last Monday, was simply great. I'd like to get together again with the other John, but for some reason, my John keeps putting me off. We haven't visited with John and JoAnn in ages. And really, we don't even have to talk that much, the other John is the talker and will carry the conversation on and on all by himself. I think I will arrange a get together anyway and just tell my John that we're meeting up with them without asking first.

Since Debora mentioned it, I may have forgotten to tell you guys that my Mom decided not to go to Karen's for the Fourth after all. Norma went to Mission Commons to have lunch with Mom and they were going to leave after the noon meal, (the gathering at Karen's was to begin about 2 pm). Even though there would be food at Karen's, Norma thought it best to have Mom eat her regular lunch since she doesn't eat breakfast and it would be a long time between meals. Well, as soon as Norma got to Mom's, Mom told her that she didn't feel up to going. Turned out to be a good choice as it was more than just family, Karen had co-workers and friends also. Lots of people and many that Mom doesn't know. That gave Norma her freedom to mingle and she said that she spent most of the afternoon in the swimming pool with her grandkids.

Big, exciting news, Brent, Norma's oldest son and his family are moving to Oregon. They bought a house in Albany, less than 2 hours south of me. Brent got a position with the Salem school district and they will be coming up here in a month. Not so great news for Norma though, with this move, she will miss out on a lot of the growing up and activities of Jackson and Hudson. It won't be easy for her to go to little league games and school programs. I figure that after she retires, she'll be traveling up here a lot more.

I hear John getting up now, so I'll close.
  • sannferris
    Oh yea, regarding the little board under the big barn door. Still a mystery as to what kind of critter keeps moving it. Unless we set up some kind of surveillance, I don't think we'll ever know what's going on in the middle of the night. But, I have tried all different types of configurations of traps, inside the door and outside the door and nothing works and that little board still is moved every morning. Last night, we removed the air hoses so that we could close the door completely and I put a long heavy 4"x4" along the bottom of the door to keep whatever critter this is from chewing more of the rubber seal off of the bottom of the door and all was still intact this morning. Maybe, we just have to close things up tight from now on.
  • anewstart22
    edited July 2017
    Good evening everyone. I didn't sleep a wink last night so went to bed around 12:30 and slept until 7:30 tonight. It's going to be another long night I think. We put the hammock's on all the other watermelons and I found the tendril on my big watermelon is starting to turn brown. I think it will be another two weeks or so that I get to pick that one. Yum, can't wait to bite into that. I gave hubby his half of a small cantaloupe we grew tonight and he said, "I have never had a cantaloupe as good as this from the grocery store". I am so happy he likes them and can't wait to grow some more of those too. I did not get to taking my cuttings from the tomato plants tonight. I guess I'll have to go about doing that in the morning.

Because I got up so late I was in a scramble to figure out dinner. I had taken out a kielbasa sausage to cook with some potatoes and onions but discovered my potatoes had gone bad. So, I was on the hunt for another recipe and found one online. I made lots of changes to it though. I made it in our dutch oven and it cooked 26 minutes faster than the recipe baked in a regular baking dish said. I also removed a lot of the fat from the dish by replacing the 1/2 cup olive oil for 2 tablespoons unsalted butter. Then added more flavor to it by replacing the 1/2 cup water for low salt chicken stock to the recipe. So, I used a total of 1 cup low salt chicken broth to make up for the 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup water in the original recipe.

Here is the new recipe, it was very good, even without the potatoes.

Kielbasa Potatoes Cabbage and Carrots In Dutch Oven. Can Use regular baking pan but will take about 15-25 minutes longer to bake.

Instructions for cast iron dutch oven.

Ingredients

2 tbsp unsalted butter
    1 medium head cabbage
    4 medium-sized potatoes
    4 large carrots
    1 lb kielbasa
    1 cup low salt chicken broth
    Dash pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 375°F. Pull out dutch oven with lid.

Melt butter in dutch oven on low heat, then swirl on bottom and sides of pot.

Peel carrots, cut into 4 pieces each and layer in bottom of dutch oven.

Remove outer leaves from cabbage. Cut cabbage into quarters and then cut each quarter in half. Wash cabbage and place on top of carrots and in center of dutch oven.

Peel potatoes, cut into quarters, and place in dutch oven with cabbage.

Cut kielbasa into four pieces, and add to pan between cabbage and pan sides.

Pour 1 cup of low salt chicken stock over all and cover pan.

Grind black pepper over all.

Place in preheated oven. Cook for about 25 minutes, checking if potatoes and carrots are done. If not add about 4 minutes and check again.

NOTE:

If using a regular baking dish I would rub all over the inside of the pan with the butter, then layer ingredients. Cover with foil if your baking dish does not have a lid. Bake for 40 minutes and check potatoes and carrots for doneness.

Well, that's the recipe, try it if you like all that's in it.

Have a great night everyone.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited July 2017
    Hi all, I'll make this quick since it is past my bed time and I have to work tomorrow. I didn't get to post yesterday because our bible study group had our summer b-day lunch at 11:15am at a Mexican restaurant called La Tapatia. Our bible study teacher really liked her gifts so that makes me happy. I got home just in time for Dan and I to go to our Free library concert. This artist played "tropical rock & roll" which is Jimmy Buffet type stuff. Very enjoyable. We had sandwiches for dinner that I brought home that were left over from a catered lunch from Panera on Friday for a gal at work that retired. It was VERY hot this Friday and Saturday - in the high 90's and even 101 degrees in some areas. Also VERY humid yuck!

Sheryl, we may never know the mystery of the little board. I think it was a good idea to completely close the door for now. Sorry John has been complaining more and doesn't realize it. Dan has been doing a bit of the same but I chalk it up to being very hot and he has been very worn out working out in the yard for too long. So very happy to hear that Gayla is doing so well. What a blessing. It will be nice to have your nephew so close. Perhaps it will bring Norma up your way more often.

Marcie, you never said - did you try the hemp oil and it didn't work? I have heard that rubbing lavender oil on them helps also. Maybe that would be something to try next year. That was a great deal you got with the $4 pants, etc. It is a wonderful idea to donate your clothes to WEAVE. A very worthy cause.

Anew, I totally understand pulling those plants. Sounds like you got rid of them just in time. I never knew you could take cuttings of tomato plants but it makes total sense after reading the article you linked us to. I can't wait to see how it works for you. The watermelon hammocks are a great idea. So clever. The volunteer squash is too funny. We call those "volunteer" plants "free loaders". :) How nice to get some surprise zucchini.

Debora, sounds like a great week you had. How nice to go to your cousins daughter's restaurant. My husband's family is Czech and his aunt always made apricot kolaches. SO good! Sounds like you ended up getting a desk top. What brand did you get? Did you catch any gnats with the vinegar?

OK, gotta go. Have a wonderful week everyone!

• anewstart22
    Had to come back and post this link to rooting tomato plant cuttings in water. I think I will do this instead of buying potting mix to plant them in. If I root them in water then I can plant them directly in my growing mix I already have made up. They should do very well out there after they get lots of roots on them. Lord knows I have plenty of mason jars to do the job, lol.

http://mrbrownthumb.blogspot.com/2013/08/rooting-tomato-cuttings.html
  • mygnsac
    Good morning everyone.

Oh boy, another work week has begun. Ugh.

Ran lots of errands this weekend, took another load of stuff to Good Will, went out for breakfast, did laundry, cleaned the house, did a little yard work, etc. Was on Facebook quite a bit jibber-jabbering with co-workers and family.

Don't know why, but I've sure been thinking about Mom a lot lately. Sure do miss her and wished she was her. Sometimes, you just need your Mom!

When I went out for breakfast on Saturday, I asked them how old you have to be to order off the senior menu. He said, meh, it doesn't matter, got ahead and order. Less food and and less price, love it!

My division chief is still in Indiana attending a business conference. She should be back tomorrow I think. Based on all her Facebook posts over the weekend, she's having tons of fun there! I'm glad. She needs a break from this place once in awhile. I sure wouldn't want her job!

A friend of one of the attorneys in the office is opening a restaurant today, and it's really close to where I live, so I'll probably check it out later in the week.

Well, back to work...again oh boy!

• anewstart22
    I wonder if this pillow would help Christine with her neck? Does anyone know how to reach her?

http://www.qvc.com/ItemsRecentlyOnAirView?storeId=10251&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

• sannferris
    edited July 2017
    Good Morning. Thank you Anew, for thinking of Christina. I talk to her on a fairly regular basis and would pass along the info, however, the link took me to a Dell computer. (Maybe you meant that for Debora). Unfortunately, Christina's pain and problems are way beyond a special pillow, but you never know what may give her some comfort. Thanks again.

New development with the barn doors, yes, I said "doors" because after closing up the big door tight and seemingly having success, I see that another door has been chewed through. I'll take my camera when I go out again and take photos. Still not a hole big enough for anything to get through, just the plastic seal under the door is chewed up. What's more upsetting is that we just had new seals put in within about a year, when we had the garage door guy come out and adjust the springs so the doors open easily and stay open. We have a lot of bunnies this year and I saw 2 of them yesterday morning right in front of the barn. It looks like "bunny chewing" type marks, but they are too big to get through the opening, so why chew plastic?

Bible study resumes today and I plan to go, unless something happens with John this morning. I can plan, but I never know until the last minute. Yesterday, I went to the follow-up appointment with the surgeon. All is healing well, except for a little "thick" scar tissue in places that he said I can massage out with oils. I go back again in 3 months.

Talked to Mom yesterday and she said it's HOT down there in Redlands. I told her how perfect it is here, (we had 70's yesterday) but she wants me to send her my weather, not that she'd come here to enjoy it. I told her that I'm too selfish to just send her my wonderful weather, I'd share it with her here, but I'm not sending it away.
    Marcie, I feel for you, as difficult as my Mom can be, it's still so great that I can pick up the phone and chat. I didn't realize that your Mom passed so soon after retiring. My Mom got a breast cancer diagnosis right after retirement also, but we are so thankful that surgery took it all out of her body and that was 30 plus years ago. What type of cancer did your Mom have?

Well, I gotta go see what John is talking about.
  • mygnsac
    edited July 2017
    Good morning everyone.

I'm tired this morning. My eyes feel like lead! Gonna be a long day.

Once again, ran into Dad at Noah's Bagels. He was having a bagel breakfast sandwich again. I got my cup of coffee and got out of there!

My division chief has returned from her business conference in Indiana. Said it was hot and humid there. No surprise!

Sheryl, bunny chewing! Wow! Mom retired in August 2010, was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in September 2010, went through chemo, and then died on February 24, 2011. So unfair. She had been complaining long before that of stomach pain. The doctors said she had irritable bowel syndrome, but never tested her for ovarian cancer. Had they done that, I'm sure she would have had a better chance of survival. Glad your Mom survived her bought of cancer!

Anew, nice of you to think of Christina. Poor lady has gone through so much. I just feel so bad for her.

This seems to be Cisco's new thing. I wake up in the middle of the night to turn over and there's that dog spread over the middle of my bed. I just contort around him, because I can't disturb the sleeping dog!

f0nj4ojr6pnx.jpg

Well, I guess I better get back to the form revisions. Fun, fun, fun!

Have a lovely day everyone.
  • anewstart22
    Sanferris-Let's try that link again. Sorry it went to the wrong thing. That pillow is a travel pillow with a front neck support and a much better design than the donut style travel pillow. I know she was having some problems with her neck hurting, and not being able to support it very well. This might be the ticket for her to have some support while sitting in the chair.

http://www.qvc.com/WOW-Pillow-Versatile-Home-and-Travel-Pillow.product.V33044.html

Well, it's 2:47 am central time and I am wide awake. I got a couple hours sleep but woke up wide eyed and not quite so bushy tailed. I have a run into big town this morning with my elderly friend. She wants to stop in at Joann's, go to lunch at Olive Garden, then head to Sam's Club. When we are all finished with that she wants to head over to Arby's for some sandwiches to take home for her husband. I told mine what we were doing tomorrow and asked if he wanted sandwiches too, "Oh Yes I Do" he said, lol. Big ole smile on his face. It will be a few hours long and hope I can get a bit more sleep tonight.

I decided to cut open the last cantaloupe and boy is it good. I shared with hubby and cut his up for his lunch box tomorrow. He'll be happy to take that with him.

Mygnsac-I bought a couple of those pillows for us because I think my husband might be able to actually sleep with one. He is a stomach sleeper and always trying to figure out a way to support his neck. Maybe this will be the ticket, I don't know for sure. That Cisco, I'd kick his butt out of my way, lol. I always had to make the dog move when we were sleeping. She wanted to get between us and then stretch out all the while pushing both of us off the bed, lol.

Well, have a great snooze everyone and I'll try to check in tomorrow but not sure if I will.

• mygnsac
    Anew, nah...I can't bring myself to kick Cisco out of the bed. Just an old softy I guess! Ha! I also usually have a cat draped at the end of my bed. Spoiled things!
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Nice Sunday. I taught the 3 year olds - fun to see them a year older. I did have someone to help me but I would have been okay. Had dinner and then everyone hung around for quite awhile. We got all the rest of the strips cut for camp and in bags. Heard from a missionary at church in the evening. Cider vinegar did its job so gnats, fruit flies or whatever are under control.
    Monday night was 4-H so I did the calendar, got things together and packed a sack lunch since it was our tour. We saw rabbits at the first stop and saw some projects kids are working on. The second stop we saw 2 bucket calves. The third stop we saw dwarf dairy goats, horses and we ate and those who wanted to swam. It was a nice evening for sitting out so no one hurried off.
    Tuesday I did my list since we got home late the night before. We planned to go to Jer's volleyball games in the evening so Ralph wanted to go to a book sale ahead of that. But I said we couldn't leave until the computer came. Didn't want it sitting on the porch. It came about 4:30 and we took off and had a nice evening. They lost the games but still fun.
    This morning we worked on the Echoes. We started a new step. We are making sure the month and year and page numbers are on each pate - adding it when necessary. It will take us awhile and we can't visit as much cause we have to concentrate but so it is. This afternoon I unpacked the computer, actually got it all hooked up correctly and with a few phone calls and some almost tears cause I was to nervous to push the manual button and the other you had to pay and I was sure I shouldn't have too. Tech support got me through it to get the anti-virus and back-up on this computer. I could do online stuff but no microsoft office and I decided to have a young man help me and he can't come until tomorrow so I hooked the old computer back up. I am using the new keyboard so can see all the letters but the letters push differently so making a lot of mistakes and having to stop to fix them. Making a list of questions for the guy as I think of them. So it's coming along.
    Tomorrow morning I'm helping put up a window display, John will be in the afternoon and Bible study in the evening. Before John comes, I also want to vacuum up a whole lot of dust and figure out if there are extra cords I can get out of there. I have a new mouse but don't know if I'll switch or not.

Anew, cool that the hammocks are working. You learned a lot this year - improving things all the time. Cool that you can do tomatoes again in the fall. Bummer on the nights you are awake. The recipe sounds good. I put it in my file. Why does a Dutch Oven take less time - I don't think I have one. What a fun outing you have planned with your friend.

Sheryl, yay on more stamina. You can power through the day and just sleep good at night. Glad the visit went so well. Sorry your mom stayed home except it was the best thing for Norma. Nice for you to have Norma's son move close to you. Maybe she'll move your direction too after she retires. But I suppose your mom would not want to move. But still more visits with her will be a nice benefit for you.
    Hope it's not rabbits - plastic is not tasty but shutting things up sounds like the smart thing to do. Hope you made it to Bible study. Glad to hear the good doctor report.

Isabella, another fun Saturday for you. Nice to get together with the ladies just for a good time. I don't know how hectic your work week are but your weekends sure seem relaxing. My new computer is an Acer - new brand for me.

Marcie, Cisco looks so relaxed on your bed. Nice of you to spoil you animals - as long as you get your rest. Cool that you can get less and pay less. Your Saturday sounds fun too and yet you get lots done. Glad your division chief is having fun while she gets work done too with the conference. Let us know how the new restaurant is.

This week is warming up more - getting close to 100 but since I'm inside most of the time, it's not a problem for me. Going to get things picked up in the morning Even though it's a guy coming, it's a good reason to get done what I want.
  • anewstart22
    edited July 2017
    Arobed53-That recipe is really good. A cast iron dutch oven surrounds the food in heat while in the oven with the lid on making the cook time less. It will steam bread which results in a great crust and moist tender inside. I haven't made any yet but I have had some baked in a dutch oven before. It's much different than a baking dish. I recommend getting one because there is so much you can do with it.

The one I bought is the Lodge Logic 5 quart with a lid, that can also be a skillet because it's flat on top. I also like it because it has what are called "Helper Handles" which are not 6" long and getting in the way of other pans on the stove. The helper handles don't stick out and make popping both into the oven easily on the same rack if you wanted to.

You can make scrambled eggs, fried eggs, biscuits, corn bread, cook bacon, make casseroles, pie, cobblers or even roast veggies in it. Fried potatoes for a 3-4 people. If you want more fried potatoes, or more bacon I recommend the larger 12" or 14" skillets Lodge makes. The versatility is endless and that's just the lid turned skillet. I baked some yellow crookneck squash in the lid with a breadcrumb parmesean topping, and it was really good.

Imagine all you can do with a 5 qt dutch oven pot. Bake bread, bake a cake, roast a chicken, fried chicken, make a beef roast, soups. You name it, you can make it. Tomato and citrus products on a new cast iron pan are not recommended because of the high acid. But once you've been using it a while and it's good and seasoned you can make all the chili you want, or use some lemon juice in a sauce, you just don't want to leave it sitting in the pan.

You also want to make sure to clean your pans right after using them. It's easiest then to add hot water and scrub out anything stuck to the pan. Lodge has a scrub brush that Walmart sells too. You can heat it on the stove if you need to boil the water to soften something that might have stuck. Once clean you want to dry it with a cloth towel and place on low heat to completely dry it. Once that is done you want to give it a very light/thin coat of oil or lard to keep the seasoning going. Leave on the low heat a few minutes, then turn off heat and let cool. It'll be ready for the next cooking adventure.

It does not require high heat to cook, the pan holds the heat well and distributes it very well. I fried some chicken for my husband twice with the recipe included in one of the links I gave you. It's perfectly fried and it does not cook on extreme heat. I learned how to use cast iron by doing a lot of reading and remembering my mom's cast iron pans she used when I was growing up. The trick is to preheat the cast iron on low, move the dial to two and then again to 4. There is no reason to ever go past a medium heat using cast iron. Medium on my electric stove is number 6. Most of the cooking I do doesn't go past 4. You can do that preheating while you are prepping the food you will cook, like the chicken.

Once your pan is heated to 4 add your couple inches of oil and let heat, it won't take long until you see it starting to dance in the pot. Then add your prepped chicken to fry. Don't overload the pan, turn the heat back down to about 3 and 1/2 and brown the chicken. You don't want the oil to be splattering everywhere, just a nice bubble around the chicken. Turn and brown the other side. Remove from the pan and set on paper towel lined plate. Start your next batch of chicken and keep going until the last pieces are getting browned. When you turn over the last batch to brown add back all the pieces of chicken to the pot, cover with lid and lower heat to 3 and let cook until cooked through in center. Remove lid and let the chicken get a crispy crust again, moving it from top to bottom of the pot. Remove to clean paper towel lined plate and let cool.

The "best chicken ever" says my husband and that says a lot. I am not a fryer of foods, but he likes fried chicken so I have decided it's time I make it for him. Saves on the pocketbook too, lol.

I find I am using my cast iron far more than my all clad now. I still use my stainless steel for a lot of things, but I really do like the cast iron. It is quite heavy, and I can't lift a full dutch oven out of the oven, hubby has to do it for me, lol. I have lots of injuries and arthritis against me but most people can pick up a heavy cast iron though. It does take more care than a regular pan but it is well worth it. It is also the original non stick if it's properly cared for.

Here is the one I have and it's on a sale price right now. It can go as high at $60 for one. Make sure you follow the manufacturers directions for what to do when you first get your pan and how to maintain it's seasoning.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Logic-Cast-Iron-5-Quart-Double-Dutch-Oven-L8DD3/12554407

I don't like cast iron coated in ceramic because it cracks and scratches. I had one of those pans and was quite unhappy with it. Just plain old original cast iron is the best kind.

Here are some websites you can check out on the care and cooking with cast iron.

http://www.castironcookware.com/cookbooks-recipes.html

https://www.thespruce.com/cooking-with-cast-iron-p2-3060125

This link is about collecting, restoring and the care and use of cast iron. If not properly heated you can warp it. Cast iron does not require an extremely high heat to cook with. Don't add cold water to a hot pan as that can warp it. Cast iron can be used on any cook top out there such as glass, electric, induction, gas, etc. If it gets warped it won't work on a flat top or induction, it must be flat to make a connection for even cooking. You can even cook over and in the fire pit with cast iron.

http://www.castironcollector.com/cooking.php

Whew, I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with this, lol. It really is not hard to maintain cast iron.
  • anewstart22
    edited July 2017
    Mygnsac, I once did one of those surveys "Are you a true lover of cats?" and failed it because I said I would kick the cat out of my chair when I wanted to sit down. Would I allow the cat to take over my pillow and I said "No". Would I allow the cat to be on the counters in my kitchen, or on my tables, I said "NO". I failed lol, because I refuse to let the cat totally own me. It's my house and I share it with the animals, but I won't let them totally take over and completely own me, lol. Guess I am not a softy. :smiley::wink: