Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Good evening everyone, it's 88 degrees and 69% humidity out there right now. Our heat index today was 115 degrees. Whew it was hot, it is cooling down some but it's still hot when you open the door to take a peek. I was out early this morning and it was about the same temp at 6:30 am. I harvested some green beans, then sprayed everything with antifungal copper spray for the coming rain the next 7 days, then I fed everything again. The watermelon is getting huge. The other three I pollinated didn't take but one I did the other day looks to be growing. The cantaloupe are looking good too. Another week or two and we should get to try one of them. :D I tried a cucumber this morning and there is very little bitterness in it. I hope I saved them. :)

Stay cool everyone, looks like we are all having horrible weather.
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Hello,
    Sheryl, so good to hear that Gayla came through surgery okay. Did she make it home today? I'm sure she'll follow all instructions so recovery will go well. Progress with Cookie - hopefully she behaves as long as she's around.

Marcie, good looking bike. I like riding but not so much on country roads cause it's not nice and smooth. Hopefully, someone in the neighborhood will want it. Bummer on so many meetings but at least you have a break with the weekend now.

Anew, cool that the cucumbers are still good and the cantaloupes and watermelon are doing well. I bought a cantaloupe to eat this week. I hope it looks as nice as the sample they had cut.

I enjoyed being home all day Thursday. I did get the house straightened up. I put a different spread on the guest room bed that hopefully won't slide around as much. I sit on the bed a lot as that's where I dress so this will help keep the room looking better. We went to the visitation for one friend and then Ralph dropped me off at Bible study and I got a ride home with our neighbor. We were a bit later getting home cause she somehow locked the key in the car so her husband had to bring another.
    Today was our usual errands. Besides out stuff, I got some stuff for our vet friend, cat food for my sister and a prescription for Ava. I got everything put away, fixed our pizza a little early and then we went to Jeremiah's ball game. They lost but it was sure a nice evening for sitting out.
    Tomorrow I'm going to garage sales with Lori and Ralph is going to a book sale we heard about. I also hope we can go look at computers. This one keeps doing more funny things. Now my fitbit won't synch. When I get home I'll do what I need to do for Sunday. Heading for bed now. Good night.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    I'm sure happy the work day is done and I can relax now!

I brought Dad a bowl of the soup from the Grille at work again. This one was chicken tortilla soup. Not one of my favorites, but he likes it.

I got another friend request on Facebook from a family member. This time Dad's brother and Mom's sister in-law. Seems every day I go to that site I'm getting new friend request. Kind of nice though catching up with family I havent communicated with for years. Just nice touching base with them.

Well, still havent heard back from my neighbor about the bike, so tomorrow I plan to post the advertisement on the Next Door website.

Tomorrow I'll probably make another run to Goodwill, maybe take some more bottles and cans to the reclye center, go out for breakfast, get the car washed, get gas, and make a stop at the grocery store. Will be a busy morning.

I found out today that I still have 8 hours of time on the books that I need to use before June 30th, so I'll have to use it sometime next week before the fiscal year ends...otherwise it will be gone. Gonna have to figure out when I can use it.

Debora, glad you got to stay home yesterday!

Have a great night all.
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Good Morning, John went outside already to walk around and check up on whatever. I heard Jack opening his gate and walked across the street to check up on them. I didn't want to call earlier in case they needed to sleep in. He did not bring Gayla home yesterday after all. She's been suffering for so long and not using her legs that the muscle tone in her legs are shot and she's having a very hard time walking now. They wanted her to stay another night and have more PT sessions today before being released. Jack said that he doesn't think she'll do well in the motor home, so we still may have house guests. Her doctor said that he wants her to get up and walk every hour and the motor home is not big enough to walk around in. And it's a real chore climbing in and out of it, so it may not work out, although, I know they would really like their privacy. We'll see what happens, when it happens.

We don't have AC, but with the windows open and the fans going, it's tolerable. We cool off dramatically at night, so sleeping is very comfortable. The living room/dining room are open onto each other, one big room, and there's a ceiling fan over the dining room table. With table fans all around in the other rooms, it keeps the air moving. Cross-ventilation right through the house. Forecast to maybe hit 100 today and also possibly tomorrow and then cooling down again Monday, and mid to high 70's the rest of the week, Nice!!

My 2 remaining Blue Apron meals, from this week, both call for the oven to be on, so I will not be preparing those today. If it's super hot, maybe I can get John into the car, with A/C, and we'll find a nice air conditioned restaurant. However, I don't want to be gone if and when Jack brings Gayla home, we need to be ready for her if she needs to come over here. So, there's always PB & J.

The llamas don't act any different whether sheared or not, so I still think all that fiber works as insulation against the heat as well as the cold. But, after shearing they sure are easier to brush and keep groomed, they look a lot better.

• mygnsac
    So nice. Woke up to 60 degree weather this morning. Opened the windows and turned the whole house fan on. It will warm up to about 100 later, but I sure am enjoying the cool weather this morning!

I'm going to get a load of laundry going, clean Simon's stinky litter box, then head off to run my errands while it's still cool outside. I think I'll get in the pool this afternoon.

Have a great day all.
  • mygnsac
    Well, woo-hoo my bike is sold, and for the asking price of $250! My neighbor came over a little while ago and wanted it. With it she also got a bunch of bike accessories...locks, a rack to mount the bike on the car, the original seat (which I had replaced), etc.

When our neighbor came over, she asked if Dad could help her blow up this gigantic blow up duck raft she had bought for her kids to use in the pool. We have an air compressor which made fast work of that. That thing is just too cute. Unfortunately, when Dad was putting the compressor away, he threw his back out (been about 4 years since that happened before). He's in bed resting now, but I suspect he's down for the count today. I 'll probably be the one walking Cisco later today. I told him to just all that and let me put it away, but the stubborn thing didn't do it. Sometimes I think he forgets he's 73 years old!

Warming up now. It's about 90 degrees, But at least we shouldn't be in triple digits today.

I went out for breakfast this morning. Ate half a belgium waffle, 1 egg and 1 bacon (brought the rest of the bacon home for dad to crumble in his oatmeal). Got gas for the car, and then stopped at Leslies Pools to pick up a new swim cap. I can never find one that fits my big old head, so hoping this one will. I think I'll get in the pool around 3 or 4 this afternoon. I like to wait until the sun moves off the pool before getting in.

Okay, well, once again have a great day.
  • anewstart22
    Good late evening everyone. It's been a very long day today. We did get a few sprinkles of rain but not much at all. I watered this morning because the sun was shining and new if I did not I would have dry plants today. Then I had a shower and hubby and I had breakfast and made an Ace Hardware run, then the grocery store. I was sweating soaked all over again by the time we got home. I ran to Walmart around 5:00 and picked up a couple of these two tier racks for the kitchen counter and I love the look of them.

I have my dish cloths (top rack) and towels (bottom rack) in one and the paper plates, cups, napkins, paper towels and plastic ware in the other one. It looks so much better than the plastic containers I had on the counters. I am determined to stop using so many paper towels. It's money down the drain and if I have cloths and towels easily available I will use them instead. I'll be keeping the picnic supplies covered until we need them. We don't use paper plates and plastic cups very often.

Here are the racks, although online they cost more than in the store. The cost was $14.99 there so I was happy with that.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-2-Tier-Rectangular-Serve/55149822

I was looking at the garden through the window this afternoon and noticed one of my cantaloupes was a creamy yellow color and new it was ready for picking. I went out to take a look and all I did was touch it and it fell off the stem into it's little pouch. I had glanced over to the watermelon and it wasn't there. I questioned my eyes and yep it was gone from the trellis. I walked over and found it laying on the soil with the pouch it was in hanging on the trellis broken. So, I brought it in the house.

I sure hope it tastes good, but I cant imagine it would since it hasn't been growing long enough. I have one more that is showing promise so I put a pouch over it and I added two more pouches each to the other cantaloupes in the hopes I don't lose them too. I'll let you all know the saga of the melons as it continues.

Arobed53-It is really nice to change a room up with a new spread. Sometimes it's just the little things that make a big impact.

Mygnsac-So glad to hear you sold your bike, and for asking price. :smiley: Sorry your dad hurt his back and hope he feels better soon.

Sannferris-Glad to hear your friend is getting the help she needs. We lived in our RV for 6 years and I would never do that again. I think she will have a terrible time getting in and out of it. Even getting into bed usually means trying to get to a higher bed because of the platforms they build under them. We moved here because I had hurt my knee and couldn't climb into the bed or step up into the shower without immense pain. Not to mention the steps getting in and out. I hope she heals quickly.

Well, I hope you all have a great day tomorrow, good night.

• mygnsac
    Hi all.

About ready to call it a night.

Took Cisco on his nightly walk. I swear, that dog think he must pee on everything out there! He also isn't thrilled with my walking stride. He's used to Dad's. I'm hoping Dad will be feeling better tomorrow morning, otherwise Cisco will have to put up with me walking him again.

I went swimming around 5 pm. The water in the pool is like bath water after that heat wave we just had. Felt nice though doing some laps.

Anew, love hearing about your gardening efforts!

Okay, I think I'm bed-bound. Night all.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. John's outside gathering pine cones. With our heat and gusty winds yesterday, there's a whole new "crop" to pick up. Sure keeps him busy.

Gayla called me yesterday from the hospital and she sounded TIRED!!! After sounding so extremely good Thursday night, it all hit her Friday and yesterday. The good meds must have worn off and after PT, she is really feeling it. She said that she was finally able to use the steps in PT that she hadn't been able to lift her leg up to on Friday. Anyway, Jack brought her home about 2:30 and she called me to come over for a visit. She sat in the downstairs office and when I left, she still hadn't tried to climb into that motor home yet. I told her that if she can't make it, come over and sleep at our house. I never heard from them last night, so I guess she made it into the motor home. I'll see how they're doing later today. I don't want to hover and I'm sure I made it perfectly clear that they can use our home as their own.

Anew, John and I lived in a 28' travel trailer for 10 years and I loved it. (John had previously lived in it for many more years). That was 25 years ago and neither of us had any physical ailments at the time, so no issues with climbing the steps. It sure kept us clutter free, minimal stuff and everything had a place and got put away after use. Once we started collecting the old International trucks and parts, and wanting animals, we moved to our little 2 acres and now we're surrounded by clutter and junk. Oh, for the good ol' days.

Gonna be another hot day, hitting 100 degrees, but Monday will be a big cool off. Depending on the wind, we hope to burn the burn pile within a few days. It's getting really big and we will have a burn ban July to September, so I want to knock that thing down before we can't burn. We'll pile it up again and burn again in October before the rains come. We sure have lots of debris around here from the trees and pasture.

I better go open the gates for the llamas so they can lay in the shade for the day.

• mygnsac
    Dad's back is a bit better today. I actually got up really early (not like me on a Sunday) at 5 am to walk the dog, but Dad said he wanted to do it. Just can't keep that guy down long. He ditched the cane he was using last night, so it's getting better. He said he's been through this with his back so many times, he know the process of healing from it.

I ran more errand this morning. Went out for breakfast, got the car washed and vaccumed, stopped at the recycle center to cash in some cans and bottles (mostly Dad's)...boy was there ever a long line of people there today!, and then popped in to the grocery store to pick up some stuff I forgot to get yesterday.

Now I'm finishing laundry, and about to go boil the eggs for the week. Later this afternoon I'll probably get back in the pool, then take a shower afterwards.

I'm considering taking tomorrow off. I have what they call a "Professional Development Day" and if I don't use it by June 30th it will go away. Not sure what the rest of my week will be like, so tomorrow is probably the best time to use it. On July 1st we get 2 more of those days, and they will have to be used by June 30th of next year. They've been doing this since 2012.

Once again Dad informed me, after the fact, that he had a surgical procedure. Had no clue. Apparently last week he went in and they removed the nail on one of his big toes. Says it was initially painful, but is okay now and healing well. My Mom had to have the nails on both of her big toes removed when she was a kid!

Sheryl, what does John do with the pine cones? Hope Gayla's pain evaporates soon. Poor lady. So nice of you to offer to let her stay with you!

Okay, I guess back to laundry. I have a huge stack of towels I need to fold. What fun! Have another load going now, there will be one more tonight before bed.

Have a great rest of the day everyone.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited June 2017
    Hi all, what a busy weekend! My coastal jaunt with my friend Jackie was great fun! I bought house made hot dogs and kielbasa at a german market/restaurant called Tip Top Meats, then we went to an organic market called Lazy Acres and I bought some fruit. It was cool, they have a "bee rescue hive" and one wall is glass so you can watch the bees doing their thing in the hive. Then we went to Seaside Market and I bought some honey bourbon pork chops. Neither of us got anything at the donut/bakery shop. Last stop was a beachy restaurant called The Besta-Wan Pizza House. We got pizza and chatted for a long time. Dan and I went to Trader Joe's and Sprouts afterward.

My friend Jami went for a hike yesterday and on the way back down the mountain she slipped on loose rock/sand and broke her ankle in two places and tore ligaments and walked the rest of the way down for 2 hours on that broken ankle even tho she was in a tremendous amount of pain! Crazy woman! She has an appt with an ortho surgeon tomorrow.

Anew, the tomato pie sounds interesting. I'll have to look it up. The heat sounds horrendous especially with the humidity. So glad hubby fixed your AC. He is so handy with everything! How were the melons? hopefully they came off because they were ready and were delicious!

Debora, Nice that you got to have time visiting with your flylady friends. Are they drilling the oil well on your property or next to it? How scary that Thomas could have drowned! Glad all turned out OK. I've been getting burger king coupons every month. I'm going to have to use one. I haven't been to burger king in probably 20 yrs or more. Do you have lightening bugs (or do you call them fire flies there) where you are? We had them in NJ. I loved watching them!

Marcie, nice that you've been able to use the pool. What color did you paint your nails this week? Sorry you've been having to deal with such high heat too. Hopefully not too humid though. That was a really pretty ring you got. Is it your birthstone? I may have mentioned this before but Dulcinea growers is the only mini watermelons I buy now because they are always sweet. Do they sell them where you are? I haven't seen them yet this year. Kind of a big thing this year is selling watermelon with seeds again. Go figure! Some people claim that they are sweeter and better for you. Sounds like you watch some interesting animal shows. That's fun. Crazy about that Cannibus bill. I took a look at your new website. Very nice!! You should be very proud! Very happy to hear that you sold your bike for the asking price. That is a nice extra addition to the wallet! I had the Friday from hell this week too! I wonder what was up with that?!

Sheryl, great job getting 2 of the llamas sheared already! Thanks for the updates on Gayla. Is she still staying at home or in the RV? It is good that the feed store re-homes roosters. How far are you on the waiting list? The ceiling fan makes such a nice difference. We laugh that it took us 14yrs before we started using the one in the kitchen. We love it so much now we are thinking about having one put in the bedroom. We'll see.

Well, that's it for this week. I'd better get to bed. I'm not even going to proof read my post this time! Yikes! :)

Have a wonderful week all!
  • anewstart22
    Good morning everyone, we are getting some good rain. It just started pouring again a couple of minutes ago. It is currently 78 degrees and 86% humidity. This is why when it is raining the air conditioner is still on, otherwise the humidity would make you sweat, lol.

We had the cantaloupe yesterday for breakfast. It wasn't the best tasting cantaloupe I've had, but the color and texture was really nice, and it was very juicy. Having been without water is definitely a factor in the flavor profile but at least it wasn't bitter. I am hoping the next one is better as they ripen. I already picked another the next day and I am letting it sit on the counter to ripen some more in the hopes it will be sweeter.

The other watermelon that showed promise is now twice as big as it was yesterday. Those watermelons grow fast. Hopefully I can keep this one on the vine to maturity.

Sannferris, glad you were able to go visit your friend. I wonder now since you said she was in the downstairs why they didn't set her up a bed down there. Is there not a bathroom available to her on that floor?

Mygnsac, it's good to know your father is feeling better now. I'm sure Cisco will be happy to walk in his stride again. I keep forgetting to tell you I got the Krups egg cooker and love it. I get perfect boiled eggs now. One thing I didn't like was all the leftover calcium and minerals from the water left on the surface of the tray and the bottom of the cooker. I cleaned it really good and started using filtered water instead. Now I just have to wipe it out really good and rinse the tray when I am done. No more yucky white and dark brown junk all over it. I can't stand my appliances looking like I don't take care of them. I guess that's some sort of OCD but I don't live by an OCD life though, lol.

Isyvanek-It sounds like a fun time had with your friend over the weekend. Lot's of great places to shop and eat. Wow, I hope Jami recovers quickly from that broken ankle. I can't believe she walked out of that and she might have caused herself some more damage by doing it. We haven't had the watermelon yet, I put it in the fridge drawer to get it cold. I don't think it will be good to be honest. It has not been on the vine long enough to ripen and those don't ripen off the vine like a cantaloupe will. It fell off the vine because the support pouch it was in broke, so it fell from it's weight. I'll update when we eat it.

I hope you all have a great day today.
  • mygnsac
    Hi all.

Stayed home today. Back to the rat race tomorrow.

I found a manual for the bike I just sold and took it over to the neighbor who bought it. Later in the morning she brought me the $250...I'll be depositing that into my savings account tomorrow.

Went out for breakfast this morning, and then stopped in at a nearby Goodwill store. Was hoping to find some decent purses there, and did! Can't beat $4 for a really nice purse. While I was there I glanced around to see if any of the stuff I've been donating was there, but didn't see any of it. Who knows where it was distributed.

The weather is just beautiful right now. In the 60s when I got up and in the 70s. We're thinking we may not even need the AC today.

Isabella, so sorry to hear of your friend's fall! I hope she is doing okay. Yes, aquamarine is my birthstone.

Anew, I hope the watermelon that fell off the vine is good. We're still trying to find a good one around here. I guess it's just too early in the season.

Have a great day everyone.
  • mygnsac
    Just finished washing down one of our exterior walls on the front of the porch. Had a bunch of black splotches on it which I'm assuming were from kamokazee (sp) bugs! Dad says he's planning to have the whole exterior power washed sometime soon. Needs it!

Yesterday before I got in the pool I needed to skim some leaves out of it. Went to get net we have stored by the fence and couldn't get to it because the palm tree fronds from the nextdoor neighbor's palm tree were hanging over the fence, so I cut about 6 of those fronds off. The gardeners will break those down tomorrow. Those things are sure spiky! That guy is so oblivious..,I'm sure he does't even know he has a palm tree now!

Well, I'm about to change purses, then paint my nails. Then I'm done for the day!

Here's me in a Barkleys video. Dad did one of himself, then sent me the link. Pretty freaky?

https://subarusaysthanks.com/video/bestdayever/26fd8b95-8884-44f6-8c54-37506109d80a/1
  • anewstart22
    edited June 2017
    LOL, I love that video Mygnsac.

Just picked another cantaloupe and have at least one more to pick tomorrow, maybe even two.
  • sannferris
    edited June 2017
    Ha ha ha, what a way to start the morning. Those are great, funny videos.

Good Morning. Gayla's doing quite well. She's upstairs in her own home. They spent Saturday night in the motor home and she stayed in there Sunday until about 1 pm when it got unbearably hot. She then moved into the office, nice and cool in there, but no conveniences of home. The computer is there, but no tv or books, no place to really walk around and no bathroom, so she made her way up the spiral stairs and rested comfortably in her own bed. Those stairs are steep, like in a lighthouse. She can get around on her own up there and was able to take a bath yesterday.
    Anew, they thought of setting up a bed in the office, but you guessed it, there is no bathroom downstairs. Jack is a machinist and has a metal fabrication shop. He built a big concrete block building with the work shop downstairs and living quarters on the second floor.

Yesterday was perfect weather, temps dropped over 20 degrees from Sunday. This week should be very nice. I'm headed outside now to set the burn pile on fire. Winds are calm and even though there are guys working on the 13th lot behind us, I'm going to chance it and hope the winds don't change and smoke them out. Two things need to be done this week, before the end of the month: burn and go get gas before my fuel rewards expire. I should be able to get 40 cents off per gallon.
  • mygnsac
    Hi everyone. I was going to say happy Monday, but forgot I took yesterday off and it's Tuesday! Boy am I losing it!

Deposited that $250 I got for my bike as soon as the bank across the street opened this morning. It's in my saving account now.

I just go back from the Farmers Market across the street here at work. Didn't get any fruit and veggies this time. Just bought a jar of almond butter from the nut stand guy (he gave me a sample..really good!) and I bought a basil-pesto-mushroom pizza from the pizza stand that sets up out there each week. Pretty good pizza, but I won't all of it, so I shared the rest with some of my co-workers. Would have taken the rest home for Dad, but he won't go near anything with mushrooms!

We're all holding our breath to see if the governor will be signing a bill that will create a new cannibus cooperative association entity type. It's been sitting on his desk for about a week now. If he does, we'll have to scramble because it will go into effect immediately.

Yesterday afternoon I scrubbed down the wall outside on our porch. It had black splotches on it that were driving me batty. Don't know where they came from.

Dad had to buy some open toed sandals to use while his toe heals. Says it's not as easy to walk in them as his regular shoes. But, he's still walking! After he threw his back out last weekend, I only had to walk Cisco once before he took over that duty again.

Sure been enjoying this cooler weather. Night and Day from the heat wave we had last week. It will be warming up again throughout the week, but shouldn't get back to triple digits (or so they say).

Well, back work. I can't believe it's already noon. This day is flying by!
  • mygnsac
    Well, it looks like I'm walking the dog again tonight. Cisco won't be thrilled, but he can just suffer through it! Dad's going to his monthly American Legion meeting. He usually gets back around 9ish, but there's no reason that he should have to walk the dog that late.

Found out before I left work today that Governor signed that horrendously written cannibus bill. Will most likely be dealing with that much of the day tomorrow.

As I was driving home from work, once I got off the freeway, I found all the traffic lights were out. Apparently power was lost for about an hour. Didn't hit our house though! Don't know what the issue was.

I never did get around to painting my nails this weekend. I'm just let them be chippy this week. I'll paint them next weekend.

This afternoon we had to call cops to come handle an irate young man who was our filing counter. Don't no what his issue was, but we had our inhouse security gaurds up there until the cops arrived. Also, while I was out yesterday, there was a similar incident. What's up with people?

I think I need to go eat something, and then walk that dog around the block so he can pee on stuff! I have some rice and fresh corn left over from yesterday, so I think I'll just reheat that for dinner tonight.
  • anewstart22
    Happy late evening everyone. Just came in from picking two more cantaloupes but didn't pick much else, just a few tomatoes. It's too wet out there to be messing with the plants right now. More rain coming tomorrow though. I think my plants are about drowned now. We've had rain daily since Saturday and today was most of the day, good thing they are all in raised beds and pots. Right now it is 80 degrees and 78% humidity.

For dinner I made skillet chicken and dumplings and we planned on the watermelon for dessert. Well as I suspected it was not ripe although it did smell very good like a watermelon should it was 90% white inside, and tasteless. I know that would have been a fantastic watermelon had it not fallen off the vine early. The other one on the vine is now double size again so I gave it two more layers of bags to hold it. I may add two more tomorrow until I can figure out what to use on them.

So we had another cantaloupe and it wasn't much better than the first one. I hope the next three we have will be better since I have been keeping up with the water. I still have three left to ripen out there and then I will pull the plants. I numbered the other three I have on the counter, one picked yesterday and two picked today so we eat the earliest ones first.

Sannferris-Good to know your friend is doing well now. Good on the burning and the great weather. How are you getting gas rewards?

Mygnsac, I think the heat gets to people but I sure hope that person isn't one of those nut jobs you have to watch for. What is this cannabis bill?

Well, I hope you all have a great night.