Did you run today?

Options

Replies

• poke987
    poke987 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    2:17:11 today for 12.09 miles. It's hot today (70) and we left right at noontime. Ran from home, so hilly route. Hubby and the kids on bikes to keep me company. The last big run so now I taper! Woot!! Watched a YouTube video of the race course for next weekend, and it looks beautiful! There was a caution about going out fast, it's a flat course and people apparently get a bit ahead of themselves. Won't have that problem I don't think, and no matter how deep I dug today I had nothing left... just a steady slow pace.

@GreatCthulhu and @gabella0603 congratulations you both did so well!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Great runs, everybody! No running here lately, but I did ride my bike almost 75 miles yesterday!
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    @poke987 , ya resist the urge to try and keep up with the lead pack at start, I tryed that on my last 10K LOL. Pace your self for a strong finish.
    @GreatCthulhu and @gabella0603 GREAT F'N job ladies. BE PROUD of such a great accomplishment. Question to all, anyone use a fuelbelt or water belt or just used the race drink stations, I using my Fuel belt.
  • poke987
    Options
    @FireStorm1972 I decided today to just go with aid stations and not use my belt.
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    Ya i'm using my belt due to I have to carry my ID and key and of course my phone with my tunes on it and I use Map My Run to give me live updates on my pace and splits. I find my music helps me out, pumps me up when I feel sluggish.
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    My course is all pavement. My knees are going to take a pounding, luckily I took Monday off of work. 7:55am start time, ouch, means I eat at like 6am, and up 530am LOL
  • gabella0603
    gabella0603 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @FireStorm1972 I wish I'd used my small handheld bottle thing (attaches to hand, so I don't actively need to clutch it). It was hot and full sun and I ran on roads the entire way. The aid stations didn't always have enough in the cups. At the end, I could've used more liquid as I started getting chills from heat exhaustion starting in mile 10. I slowed down and finished, but then they were out of water as I crossed the finish-line and I had to hunt for water. (Other than that a well-run race). But, it's been cold here up until now, so I'm not used to running in heat yet, and wasn't prepared for it. I probably would've been OK with just the aid stations had it been cooler. (long-winded answer that probably gave you no useful info!)

@poke987 definitely don't go out too fast. My run started at the top of a bluff and it was a 2-mile run down. We kept our pace even though it was so tempting to let gravity take over! I'm glad we reigned it in.
  • poke987
    Options
    @Just_Ceci wow!! I sometimes bike my son to preschool, 16 miles round trip... but I pull a cart; both boys on the way but only one on the way back. I'm impressed with you!!
  • gabella0603
    gabella0603 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I realized I missed a few posts:

@GreatCthulhu congratulations!! -- you did great!! I hope you had a fun time!
    @Just_Ceci I agree you are impressive! 75 miles is a big number.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I am always impressed by people pulling carts on the bike and pushing jogging strollers! Saturday was the grand opening of our local Greenway- 36 ish miles of multi-use trails connecting 6 towns in Northwest Arkansas. I rode end to end and back.

I carried my handheld bottle during my half, the kind that attaches to your hand. It was perfect! I was able to easily refill at aid stations. That's what I had been using on my longer training runs, so I wanted to be consistent.
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just used the water stations. I never train with water, but it doesn't exactly get warm in the North East of England.
    I have my next HM in September so I am going to join a club and work on speed. I have a few 10k races over the next few months as well
  • poke987
    Options
    Despite being a bit sore today, I did my run! I want to finish the week early so I'll go into the race with 2 rest days. I was slow, my legs didn't really agree that we should be going back out, and it was warm again... but got it done! 3.5 miles in 35:53 celebrated with an ice cream sundae! I'm happy to have the next two runs as 2 milers! Woot! Liking the taper!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Ran a 5k around my neighborhood yesterday. It is starting to get hot enough that I need to run before work rather than after.
  • poke987
    Options
    Winding down... 2 miles on the treadmill 20:08 one more run before race day
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    5k taper run. 29:20. 2 more short runs this week then rest friday/saturday.
  • poke987
    Options
    A situation I had somehow completely overlooked the possibility of...

Our largest horse, a nearly 18 hand warm blood mare stepped on my foot tonight. Crushing my first 3 toes. Big toe got it the worst, it's throbbing and split open above my nail. I can't believe I hadn't thought of this as a potential issue... but here i sit. Ice and elevation, tylenol and hopes that it's better tomorrow. Or atleast Saturday!

Ugh.
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    forget the rest of your runs this week and concentrate on healing up. Does it need stiches? I wound't run if it's stitched might tear them. if you can't run and determined to compete, maybe walk it. Just completing a 1/2 is a great accomplishment. Godspeed 8)
  • poke987
    Options
    No, no stitches. No broken bones. Just going to be swollen and sore, and ugh. Will see how it is in the am and go from there. If i didn't have the race i likely wouldn't be as worried. Id limp around until it healed and feel slightly sorry for myself. Now im just annoyed with myself and hopeful it isn't too painful to run on. Most of my annoyance is from not seeing this coming.
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh no! I hope it heals fast! That is such a shame :-(
  • poke987
    Options
    Better this am. I can walk on it ok, and put it back into the boot I had on to do morning chores. Have not taken the bandaid off yet, think the split it going to to be main trouble now.