Leslie Sansone February 2015 Walk Challenge

texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
WELCOME to all walkers!
It is February, 2015, and time to start a new monthly challenge! Our second one for 2015! So lets make February another mega month while we continue with all the awesomeness of our January Challenge as we walk strong to becoming more healthy in 2015!

Very cold and snowy weather is definitely continuing here for many of us depending where we live. Having Leslie's, or other walking DVDs, to pop in the player continues to be a great alternative to walking outdoors. Walking outdoors can still be an important part of fitness walking this month, when possible, for those who enjoy walking some miles or minutes outside.

This group is open to any and all walkers. The majority of us use Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVD workouts, as well as those great walks or hikes outside on the trails or pathways that are available to us, or a walk in our neighborhood, and on the treadmill, as well as other Walking DVDs. All of these many options count toward our miles and minutes. However you get your walk in, come on in and join us! Post your miles or minutes that you have walked, however you did it... it is all good :drinker: !

We are a happy, supportive group, and I promise that this challenge will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you!

Set your goal for how many miles or minutes that you want to walk, indoors or out, this month. This is your own personal goal (*) . Post your results daily, weekly, or however you like.

If you find this challenge in the middle of the month it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you want to walk for the remaining days in the month. You are always welcome :) !
As we can all see the year is already into the second month. So if you are new to the group please feel free to start today so that by the end of the month you will be that much closer to your health goals. It is never too late to join in :flowerforyou:

So tie up those walking shoes and get some water, and let's start walking :smile: !

It is always fun to read which DVD, whether Leslie or another instructor, that you used. Or whatever form your walk took, whether outdoors or on the treadmill or anything in between. We all could use some new inspiration sometimes, or inquiring minds sometimes just want to know. So please share if you would care to :p .

Come on in and let us start walking the Monthly Walk Challenge together. I am grateful for each one of our precious walkers who continue to inspire and motivate mile by mile and step by step last month, and now on into February 2015!

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:

Replies

• zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,434 Member
    edited January 2015
    The February Challenge will my 1 year anniversary walking with this group and I am sure it has been instrumental in my weight loss. I KNOW it has been instrumental in the increase in my Leslie DVD collection! :laugh: Since I was given a Garmin Vivofit for Christmas, and have been trying it out this month, I feel I have to increase my miles! No excuses when the computer tells me how many (few) miles I have walked all day. :wink: So, I am going to go for an 10 mile increase up to 85 miles :noway: YIKES!! I walked 89 miles last February, but my course load was less, so we shall see!!!!

February-85

Let's all Walk Strong in February! :bigsmile:

27715887.png
  • lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    edited January 2015
    2189 miles :cold_sweat: . That is my goal for the next 24 months. It averages 91 miles per month.
    Why 2189 miles? Because it is the length of "Appalachian Trail". Only, I will not hike that trail, instead I will do "Neighborhood hiking". Yes I will hike just like pro's, but from my home as a base. It has a couple of cons and pros compared to the hike in the wild, as you can imagine.
  • texasgardnr
    edited February 2015
    zichab wrote: »
    The February Challenge will my 1 year anniversary walking with this group and I am sure it has been instrumental in my weight loss. I KNOW it has been instrumental in the increase in my Leslie DVD collection! :laugh: Since I was given a Garmin Vivofit for Christmas, and have been trying it out this month, I feel I have to increase my miles! No excuses when the computer tells me how many (few) miles I have walked all day. :wink: So, I am going to go for an 10 mile increase up to 85 miles :noway: YIKES!! I walked 89 miles last February, but my course load was less, so we shall see!!!!

February-85

WOW, one year already!! You have been rocking it my dear :D . LOL, about the increase in the Leslie DVD collection. I also have acquired my own stash over the almost 3 years that I've been walking with Leslie :laugh:

Good for you for increasing your mileage to challenge yourself o:) . You go girl!!

• texasgardnr
    edited February 2015
    lidenalex wrote: »
    2189 miles :cold_sweat: . That is my goal for the next 24 months. It averages 91 miles per month.
    Why 2189 miles? Because it is the length of "Appalachian Trail". Only, I will not hike that trail, instead I will do "Neighborhood hiking". Yes I will hike just like pro's, but from my home as a base. It has a couple of cons and pros compared to the hike in the wild, as you can imagine.

What an awesome concept and challenge you have given yourself for the next two years, Alex. Are you following your progress on the virtual walking/hiking/biking of the Appalachian Trail website? I love the long term plan and commitment you made :drinker: .

We shall be cheering you on!!

:flowerforyou:
  • lreutner
    lreutner Posts: 64 Member
    edited February 2015
    I WILL walk 40 miles in February. I started using the Walk it off in 30 days dvd. The firming workout is kicking this chubby body. I'm shooting for more of the walking and working up to the firming.
    I love that lidenalex is neighborhood hiking the AT. I'm cheering you on too!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Hi Walkers! I am in for 85 miles this month.
    Happy Anniversary Zichab and congrats!!! You are amazing!
    Alex, I like your plan. Walk strong and walk proud! I will be cheering for you!
  • drbcru
    drbcru Posts: 85 Member
    Jan had 31 days and I got in 107 miles between work and Leslie's tapes, Feb has 3 less days so going to have to work harder to get the 100 miles in again so I'm not going to bump it up this month. Jan was my first month trying this after being a couch spud for over a year. To keep me on track I started a walking group at work and we're using my laptop to show the tapes so I have to be there - unless duties call me elsewhere. I'm trying to get them motivated so we'are starting w/the 2 mile/32 min tape. Some may not make it the whole time but I'm pushing the healthy heart that needs cardio for for 30 mins.
  • Are you following your progress on the virtual walking/hiking/biking of the Appalachian Trail website?

I didn't know that there was such a website :D . Do you have the link?

• PinkyPan1
    drbcru wrote: »
    Jan had 31 days and I got in 107 miles between work and Leslie's tapes, Feb has 3 less days so going to have to work harder to get the 100 miles in again so I'm not going to bump it up this month. Jan was my first month trying this after being a couch spud for over a year. To keep me on track I started a walking group at work and we're using my laptop to show the tapes so I have to be there - unless duties call me elsewhere. I'm trying to get them motivated so we'are starting w/the 2 mile/32 min tape. Some may not make it the whole time but I'm pushing the healthy heart that needs cardio for for 30 mins.

Good for you!

• PinkyPan1
    4/85 I completed 3 Miles with Bandi and 1 MIle Walk at Home.
  • lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    edited February 2015
    17/ 71/ 2189
    Today, my first day on the trail, I walked 17 miles. I am in Georgia, and have 71 miles in total to the North Carolina border. While I walked, I listened to three books on my iPhone.
    - Appalachian Trials: The Psychological and Emotional Guide to Successfully Thru-Hiking The Appalachian Trail, by Zach Davis ***
    Excerpt: Not only can you achive hiking from Georgia to Main, you can and should enjoy the process.
    Over 50, Overweight & Out Of Breath: A Year Of Going From Super Fat To Super, by Laura Sinclair *****

Excerpt: My life today is far different from two years ago. I zip upstairs and have tons more energy. My skin is healthier. I have muscle definition in my arms and back. I'm wearing size 6 jeans. I am no longer the short fat girl. I am healthy and powerful.
    A Walk In The Woods, by Bill Bryson *****

Excerpt: My grandmother could have got this far, I kept thinking. Finally, I rounded a bend and there he was stumbling towards me, wild-haired and one-gloved, and nearer hysteria than I have ever seen a grown person.
    It was hard to get the full story out of him in a coherent flow, because he was so furious, but I gathered he had thrown many items from his pack over a cliff in a temper. None of the things that had been dangling from the outside were there any longer, including his water bottle.
    "What did you get rid of?" I asked, trying not to betray too much alarm.
    "Heavy *kitten* *kitten*, that's what. The pepperoni, the rice, the brown sugar, the Spam, I don't know what all. Lots. *kitten*." Katz was almost cataleptic with displeasure. He acted as if he had been deeply betrayed by the trail. It wasn't, I guess, what he had expected.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,434 Member
    February-85
    2/1-Just Walk-4 Mile Power Walk-=4 miles

Thanks Pinky! It does not seem like it has been a year. Bandit and I hit 100 pouinds lost this year and I am sure the last part was because I had to walk so I could come here and see what all of you were doing. Gosh who knew being nosey was a key to weight loss!!! :laugh:

Enjoy your hike on the Appalachian Trail Alex! I get out of Georgia though. It is Sunday so you might not be able to have a beer after your hike! :laugh: However, Michigan is in the middle of a 10 inch snow blizzard so Georgia might be a good spot right now! :wink:

Walk Strong Everybody! :bigsmile:

27715887.png
  • texasgardnr
    edited February 2015
    Sunday (February 1st) 2 miles 40 Plus Workout from LS's Walk Aerobics series

2 DVD miles.

0 outdoor minutes.

0 mini walks from Walk Blaster DVD.

0 minutes "other" kinds of exercise.

February goal: at least 2-3 miles or 30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week.

So far: 2 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 0 outdoor minutes (in the neighborhood or in a park)

So far: 0 mini walks from Walk Blasters DVD

So far: 0 minutes "other" kinds of exercise

:flowersforyou:
  • DaLoveLEE1
    DaLoveLEE1 Posts: 27 Member
    My goal for February is 80 miles. I did 4 today from 4 Really Big Miles. Happy walking steppers.
  • texasgardnr
    edited February 2015
    lidenalex wrote: »
    Are you following your progress on the virtual walking/hiking/biking of the Appalachian Trail website?

I didn't know that there was such a website :D . Do you have the link?
    Alex, I'm sorry but I got the name of the virtual hiking trail mixed up. On Leslie's Sansones web page (walkathome.com) on the forum in the Walk Social area some walkers are walking a "transcontinental" virtual walk across the United States using this web site: http://plainspoken.lbl.gov/index.html I personally am not doing this but the group doing it started in February 2013 and are still going strong by the looks of how many posts are being made.

However, when I realized that I had the name of your hike/walk mixed up I did look on the web and found some websites that might be of interest for use with a virtual hike on the AT: http://rhodesmill.org/thefox/maps.html and http://www.atdist.com/

Apparently there are also iPhone apps for virtual walks including the AT https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/virtual-walk-treadmill-or-gps/id634548793?mt=8.

And I got lost reading some blogs about hiking (real and virtually) the AT. Very interesting.

Let us know how you are doing on your virtual hike. You have a great plan in the works!! I also like how you listen to books while walking. Thanks for the excerpts form your books! I also do that when I put in a Leslie DVD with the music only option, as well as when I walk outside.

:flowerforyou:

• PinkyPan1
    8/85 3 Fast Miles and 1 mile Walk in Home
  • websites that might be of interest for use with a virtual hike on the AT: http://rhodesmill.org/thefox/maps.html and http://www.atdist.com/
    Thanks a lot very useful :D<3

Apparently there are also iPhone apps for virtual walks including the AT https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/virtual-walk-treadmill-or-gps/id634548793?mt=8.
    Got it :)
  • zichab wrote: »
    Bandit and I hit 100 pouinds lost this year

OMG 100 pounds, it's fantastic :D:D

I lost 22 pounds in May-Sep and gained 20 pounds Nov-Feb. Mainly because I lost my focus and got involved with other things that took my interest,

Be aware that the "old ways" are there always lurking waiting for you to lower your guard >:) .

/Alex

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Goal 56 miles.
    2/56

Hello Everyone!

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    zichab wrote: »

February-85

27715887.png

We have all had a hand in sending the Sansone kids to college, I"m sure! :D