Leslie Sansone February 2015 Walk Challenge

Options

Replies

• lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    edited February 2015
    Options
    36/71 (2189)
    Made 12 miles today, in total I have walked 36 miles. I am halfway through Georgia. Right now I am at the Tesnatee Gap, where I will spend the night in my tent.

A very strange thing happened as I passed Blood Mountain Shelter, the highest point on the trail in Georgia. I was there all alone, taking a rest, and as I looked at the magnificant view over the mountains, I swear I could hear a faint music and dance, carried by the wind, of some old long forgotten Indian tribe.

Tomorrow I will head to Low Gap shelter which is 5 miles ahead. And if this rain stops I will try to make it to Chattahoochee Gap which is an additional 5 miles further up the trail.
    z97vy2c47x7y.png

Today I listened to:
    AWOL on the Appalachian Trail, by David Miller.

Excerpt: Erwin, Tennessee, has the unusual distinction of being the only town in America to have hung an elephant. That was in 1916, and the elephant had it coming....

The endeavor is much more durable because we “own” it. We are here by choice, and we are going about it in the way of our own choosing. If we were paid to do this, we would have quit by now.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    6/56

Great walking, everyone! :D

• AnnofB
    Options
    zichab wrote: »
    February-85
    Bandit and I hit 100 pounds lost this year and I am sure the last part was because I had to walk so I could come here and see what all of you were doing. Gosh who knew being nosey was a key to weight loss!!! :laugh:

100 pounds is so very amazing and awesome Bandit and zichab o:) . I remember how excited we all were as you both kept getting closer and closer. It is good for us to remember these special accomplishments. It is encouraging to remember those sort of highlight moments that are experienced by our walkers :) .

:flowerforyou:

What Mary said. Brenda and LouAnn, congratulations! Inspirational.

• alip253
    alip253 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    2/3/15, Day two of Walk it off in 30 days. Today was devoted to the "Firm" part of the DVD, and wow did it kick my backside! Walked on the treadmill for 30 min (1.5 miles) after that to bring my total miles for the day so far to 4.55 miles (thank you FitBit for keeping track for me!)

Tomorrow is my long day at work, so I'm worried about when I'm going to squeeze the walking part in, but I will!!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Tuesday (February 3rd) 3 Mega Miles using the firm band for strength segments.

3 DVD miles.

0 outdoor minutes.

0 mini walks from Walk Blaster DVD.

0 minutes "other" kinds of exercise.

February goal: at least 2-3 miles or 30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week.

So far: 8 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 0 outdoor minutes (in the neighborhood or in a park)

So far: 0 mini walks from Walk Blasters DVD

So far: 0 minutes "other" kinds of exercise

:Flowerforyou:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    alip253 wrote: »
    2/3/15, Day two of Walk it off in 30 days. Today was devoted to the "Firm" part of the DVD, and wow did it kick my backside! Walked on the treadmill for 30 min (1.5 miles) after that to bring my total miles for the day so far to 4.55 miles (thank you FitBit for keeping track for me!)

Tomorrow is my long day at work, so I'm worried about when I'm going to squeeze the walking part in, but I will!!

No worries! Instead concentrate on being a bit creative to find some minutes to spare to walk o:) . You can do it!!
    The Firm 30 is a strong workout indeed!! Great working out on the treadmill to round out your day (*) .

• drbcru
    drbcru Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Got in the 30 min 2 mile starter DVD x2. Ladies had a rough day and weren't up to a bigger challenge. They want to do this for a week before they move up to a faster pace. That's ok, I'll go w/it since they WANT to do it. I did preview some of the faster paced ones but they didn't feel ready. They like Leslie's tapes and aren't quitting, getting 30 mins of cardio so that's what we'll keep doing.
  • texasgardnr
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Alex, 12 more awesome miles on the AT!! Love following your progress and reading the excerpts for your books :):D Hope it stops raining tomorrow so you can trek on toward Chattahoochee Gap.

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    17/85 Good morning Walkers! I completed 5 Mega Miles this morning! Woot!
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    February-85
    2/1-Just Walk-4 Mile Power Walk-=4 miles
    2/3-Vivofit tracked-3 miles=7 miles total

Walk Strong Everyone :bigsmile:

27715887.png
  • lidenalex
    Options
    46/71 (2189)
    Walked 10 miles today. I am at Chattahoochee Gap and will camp for the night. I'm all wet due to the heavy raining, but I'll hope that my clothes will be dry come morning. I plan to make it to Indian Grave Gap tomorrow, which is 7 miles up the trail. My heel and ankles are hurting each morning, but they loosen up during the walk. They say that I will get hiker legs in two weeks and that all will be easier.

5vo1dntqucrx.png

Today I listened to
    Rethinking Life on the Appalachian Trail, by Gary Bond

Excerpt: And at the same time, there was one statement that haunted me. Thoreau wrote: The mass of people lead lives of quiet desperation. Quiet desperation! Was that true? And if it were true, then why? It so bothered me to think of that fate that I vowed as a teenager not to become one of those quietly desperate people.
    Thoreau also wrote: I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, ... and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it ... or if it were sublime, to know it by experience….

day4.png 127.7K
  • lidenalex
    Options
    This is what I've read and it has been confirmed by a Danish study.

The Benefits of Walking
    • 40% lower risk of early death.
    • More energy, less tired.
    • Reduced depression.
    • Better quality sleep.
    • Lower risk of coronary heart disease and stroke.
    • Lower risk of colon and breast cancer.
    • Lower risk of type 2 diabetes.
    • Loosing weight.
    • Improved muscular fitness.
    • Increased bone density.

Only 9 miles per week, will give you most of those benefits. 16 miles per week (2.5 miles a day) will give you maximal benefits.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    lidenalex wrote: »
    This is what I've read and it has been confirmed by a Danish study.

The Benefits of Walking
    • 40% lower risk of early death.
    • More energy, less tired.
    • Reduced depression.
    • Better quality sleep.
    • Lower risk of coronary heart disease and stroke.
    • Lower risk of colon and breast cancer.
    • Lower risk of type 2 diabetes.
    • Loosing weight.
    • Improved muscular fitness.
    • Increased bone density.

Only 9 miles per week, will give you most of those benefits. 16 miles per week (2.5 miles a day) will give you maximal benefits.

It's amazing when you think about it. Walking a free, very efficient way of improving your health. How cool is that?

Thanks for the info, Alex :D

• AnnofB
    Options
    10/56

Walk Strong, walking Buddies! :#
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    February-85
    2/1-Just Walk-4 Mile Power Walk-=4 miles
    2/3-Vivofit tracked-3 miles=7 miles total
    2/4-Just Walk-Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan-5 miles=12 miles total

Walk Strong Everyone:bigsmile:

27715887.png
  • lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    edited February 2015
    Options
    56/71 (2189)
    Walked 10 miles today. I am at Tray Mountain shelter. I have 15 miles to the North Carolina Border. I'll plan to reach the Deep Gap shelter to morrow, 8 miles up the trail.

In five days I've walked 56 miles. That's the power of focus. When I focus on ONE thing then everything else becomes secondary. That is both a blessing and a curse.

jnh4o3t71789.png

Today I listened to
    Rethinking Life on the Appalachian Trail, by Gary Bond

Excerpt: Our conversation turned to the ways that their lives had changed since loosing their wives. Shiloh told of getting rid of almost all the stuff he had. "If I can't carry it on my back or in my heart, I don't need it"

Excerpt: He shared his trail motto with me (and possibly a life motto as well): "Just keep hiking long enough and you'll come to a shelter."
  • lreutner
    lreutner Posts: 64 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So far I'm at 6/40 plus 2 Firm 30 sessions. My thighs are sore.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    12/56

Happy Thursday!
  • AnnofB
    Options
    Alex, enjoying your book excerpts.
  • alip253
    alip253 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wednesday, 2/4 the "Burn" part of Walk it Off in 30 Days (in a skirt, no less!...was in between work and a dinner meeting)

Ended the day with 4.8 miles.

Still sore from Tuesday's Firm workout!

Thursday, 2/5 Did the Firm workout (sore thighs and all) and then walked 2 miles on the treadmill to loosen my legs up.

At 5.5 miles so far today...curious to see if I have to go down the steps (home, not work, thankfully) tomorrow on my backside. Sore thighs are not a friend to stairs (or to toilet seats either, but no one has to see that!)