Leslie Sansone February 2015 Walk Challenge

Replies

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    DaLoveLEE1 wrote: »
    My goal for February is 80 miles. I did 4 today from 4 Really Big Miles. Happy walking steppers.

Awesome work!
  • AnnofB
    lidenalex wrote: »
    2189 miles :cold_sweat: . That is my goal for the next 24 months. It averages 91 miles per month.
    Why 2189 miles? Because it is the length of "Appalachian Trail". Only, I will not hike that trail, instead I will do "Neighborhood hiking". Yes I will hike just like pro's, but from my home as a base. It has a couple of cons and pros compared to the hike in the wild, as you can imagine.

What a great idea! Enjoyed your quotes also. Cheering for you Alex. You can do this!
  • AnnofB
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    8/85 3 Fast Miles and 1 mile Walk in Home

WTG PinkyPal, already 8 miles in. :D

• AnnofB
    lreutner wrote: »
    I WILL walk 40 miles in February. I started using the Walk it off in 30 days dvd. The firming workout is kicking this chubby body. I'm shooting for more of the walking and working up to the firming.
    I love that lidenalex is neighborhood hiking the AT. I'm cheering you on too!

Welcome!

• AnnofB
    drbcru wrote: »
    Jan had 31 days and I got in 107 miles between work and Leslie's tapes, Feb has 3 less days so going to have to work harder to get the 100 miles in again so I'm not going to bump it up this month. Jan was my first month trying this after being a couch spud for over a year. To keep me on track I started a walking group at work and we're using my laptop to show the tapes so I have to be there - unless duties call me elsewhere. I'm trying to get them motivated so we'are starting w/the 2 mile/32 min tape. Some may not make it the whole time but I'm pushing the healthy heart that needs cardio for for 30 mins.

Congrat's on 107 miles in Jan. I had a walking buddy at work many years ago. It sure helps to have someone doing it with you. Sort of takes the "work" aspect out of the walking and makes the workout fly by. :D
  • AnnofB
    [Be aware that the "old ways" are there always lurking waiting for you to lower your guard >:) .

/Alex

[/quote]

So true, Alex. Some of us have been here for years and (don't want to discourage anyone just starting) but there's always the potential of sliding back into bad habits. You have to be vigilant, (says she who ate pizza and chips yesterday) Oh well, I'm living proof of that old saying, "If you can't be a good example you'll have to be a terrible warning."

• AnnofB wrote: »
    If you can't be a good example you'll have to be a terrible warning.

Great quote, LOL

• lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    edited February 2015
    24/71 (2189)

Have walked 24 miles and have 47 miles left, until I come to North Carolina. I plan to walk another 7 miles tomorrow and pass Neels Gap at the Vogel State Park. I can inform you that it is very cold out here. The snow is knee-deep and the mountains are high, slippery and unpredictable.

dor5ahzs2j02.png

Today I mainly listened to
    A walk in the woods: rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail, by Bill Bryson.

Excerpt: Every twenty minutes on the Appalachian Trail, Katz and I walked farther than the average American walks in a week. For 93 percent of all trips outside the home, for whatever distance or whatever purpose, Americans now get in a car. On average the total walking of an American these days—that’s walking of all types: from car to office, from office to car, around the supermarket and shopping malls—adds up to 1.4 miles a week, barely 350 yards a day....

I tried to find a store at which to get insect repellent. A man outside the post office sugested I try Kmart.
    “Where’s your car?” he said, preparatory to giving directions.
    “I don’t have a car.”
    That stopped him. “Really? It’s over a mile, I’m afraid.”
    “That’s OK.”
    He gave his head a little dubious shake, as if disowning responsibility for what he was about to tell me. “Well, then what you want to do is go up Broad Street, take a right at the Burger King, and keep on going. But, you know, when I think about it, it’s well over a mile—maybe a mile and a half, mile and three-quarters. You walking back as well?”
    “Yeah.”
    Another shake. “Long way.”
    “I’ll take emergency provisions.”
    If he realized this was a joke he didn’t show it. “Well, good luck to you,” he said.
  • alip253
    alip253 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi, All!

Feb 2, Day 1 for me!

Started with Leslie's Walk it off in 30 Days (that I just got yesterday)

Did that 30 minutes and combined with walking at work, I have 3 miles in for the day so far.

My goal is to stick with this for this 30 days, and then the next 30 and the next and so on. I have trouble sticking with things...the only constant for me seems to be sugar (licorice allsorts for lunch today...not with lunch, FOR lunch - oh no!!)

Looking forward to walking with you all!!

Alison
  • AnnofB
    lidenalex wrote: »
    24/71 (2189)

Have walked 24 miles and have 47 miles left, until I come to North Carolina. I plan to walk another 7 miles tomorrow and pass Neels Gap at the Vogel State Park. I can inform you that it is very cold out here. The snow is knee-deep and the mountains are high, slippery and unpredictable.

dor5ahzs2j02.png

Today I mainly listened to
    A walk in the woods: rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail, by Bill Bryson.

Excerpt: Every twenty minutes on the Appalachian Trail, Katz and I walked farther than the average American walks in a week. For 93 percent of all trips outside the home, for whatever distance or whatever purpose, Americans now get in a car. On average the total walking of an American these days—that’s walking of all types: from car to office, from office to car, around the supermarket and shopping malls—adds up to 1.4 miles a week, barely 350 yards a day....

I tried to find a store at which to get insect repellent. A man outside the post office sugested I try Kmart.
    “Where’s your car?” he said, preparatory to giving directions.
    “I don’t have a car.”
    That stopped him. “Really? It’s over a mile, I’m afraid.”
    “That’s OK.”
    He gave his head a little dubious shake, as if disowning responsibility for what he was about to tell me. “Well, then what you want to do is go up Broad Street, take a right at the Burger King, and keep on going. But, you know, when I think about it, it’s well over a mile—maybe a mile and a half, mile and three-quarters. You walking back as well?”
    “Yeah.”
    Another shake. “Long way.”
    “I’ll take emergency provisions.”
    If he realized this was a joke he didn’t show it. “Well, good luck to you,” he said.

You are making great progress, Alex.

Had to laugh at the above conversation. "Well, good luck to you." Ha-ha! Sad but true about a huge majority of Americans.
  • AnnofB
    alip253 wrote: »
    Hi, All!

Feb 2, Day 1 for me!

Started with Leslie's Walk it off in 30 Days (that I just got yesterday)

Did that 30 minutes and combined with walking at work, I have 3 miles in for the day so far.

My goal is to stick with this for this 30 days, and then the next 30 and the next and so on. I have trouble sticking with things...the only constant for me seems to be sugar (licorice allsorts for lunch today...not with lunch, FOR lunch - oh no!!)

Looking forward to walking with you all!!

Alison

Welcome Alison. I hope you find walking with Leslie more sticky than licorice! :D

• alip253
    alip253 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks...I hope so too!
  • lreutner
    lreutner Posts: 64 Member
    Started off February walking a Power Mile at our local senior center. Then 1 mile WAP at home. For the rest of the month I'll really going to try and stick with the Walk it off in 30 days dvd. It is a bit harder for me and I need the challenge.
  • lreutner
    lreutner Posts: 64 Member
    DaLoveLEE1 wrote: »
    My goal for February is 80 miles. I did 4 today from 4 Really Big Miles. Happy walking steppers.
    Way to go!! I have yet to make it through that one all the way.
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    February 1-2

7 with Leslie
    7 Miles with Leslie to date

5 outdoor miles
    5 outside miles total

12 miles total / goal 150

Have been doing a lot of different walks with Leslie. I bought a bunch of her dvds and have been mixing it up depending on how much time I have before work. A lot of them have boosts and been loving it!

Happy Walking!!!
  • drbcru
    drbcru Posts: 85 Member
    Goal - 100 mile
    2/1 - 2.7 m
    2/2 - 6 m - had 1 new person join my Walk for Health group so we did the 2 m Start to Walk. Want to start them slow so they can build up. Then came home and did the 3 m Burn Abs.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited February 2015
    AnnofB wrote: »
    [Be aware that the "old ways" are there always lurking waiting for you to lower your guard >:) .

/Alex

So true, Alex. Some of us have been here for years and (don't want to discourage anyone just starting) but there's always the potential of sliding back into bad habits. You have to be vigilant, (says she who ate pizza and chips yesterday) Oh well, I'm living proof of that old saying, "If you can't be a good example you'll have to be a terrible warning."

[/quote]

Agree with both of these quotes from Alex and Ann. So very true!! Those habits are still lurking for me also, and I've been here for several years too :noway:

Alex thanks for posting the maps and the info as well as the enjoyable excerpts from the book that you are listening to. You are so kind to share all the wonderful things that you are learning, listening to, and experiencing virtually with us (*)

:flowerforyou:
  • texasgardnr
    zichab wrote: »
    February-85
    Bandit and I hit 100 pounds lost this year and I am sure the last part was because I had to walk so I could come here and see what all of you were doing. Gosh who knew being nosey was a key to weight loss!!! :laugh:

100 pounds is so very amazing and awesome Bandit and zichab o:) . I remember how excited we all were as you both kept getting closer and closer. It is good for us to remember these special accomplishments. It is encouraging to remember those sort of highlight moments that are experienced by our walkers :) .

• texasgardnr
    edited February 2015
    Monday (February 2nd) I did two walks from the WAP For Your Week collection: Muscle mile one (used wrist weights) 1 mile, and the 2 mile Walk Strong Express (firm band and strength intervals).

3 DVD miles.

0 outdoor minutes.

0 mini walks from Walk Blaster DVD.

0 minutes "other" kinds of exercise.

February goal: at least 2-3 miles or 30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week.

So far: 5 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 0 outdoor minutes (in the neighborhood or in a park)

So far: 0 mini walks from Walk Blasters DVD

So far: 0 minutes "other" kinds of exercise

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    12/85 Good morning Walkers! I completed the Women's Walk 2 mile and the 2 Mile Walk This Way!