Keto Sub Groups

Options
12346»

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not sure where the idea came from that you need to be under 25g carb to be ketogenic. Experts (e.g., Phinney and Volek) say 50-100g, right?
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    moonius wrote: »
    Interesting article. Three reasons why zero carb is easier than low carb
    myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.com/wp/2015/02/three-reasons-zero-carb-easier-low-carb/

I think Kelly's story is great and I have read several of her blog posts. She did in fact lose 120 lbs. on low carb, but then moved to zero carb in maintenance. I may end up like her. I'm not ready to do zero carb mentally yet, but I think it is a great WOE.

Thanks for posting that link, Moonius!

@octobubbles : You are welcome! Glad to help!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Not sure where the idea came from that you need to be under 25g carb to be ketogenic. Experts (e.g., Phinney and Volek) say 50-100g, right?

Once adapted, a person can determine their upper limit. But since carb counts can be inaccurate and individual physiologies differ, the <25 rec is a pretty good rule of thumb for new folks.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

The purpose is for discussion. If a person states I am a "Blah-blah-blah", then everyone will know who they're talking to. Since people don't state this, a lot of people reply to them mistakenly. But, if you say what you are, then you can understand where they are coming from.

As far as all the many groups, maybe limit to the biggies. I don't know what CFS & FM are. I do know the Epilepsy position. I would want to add that.

I will split the "Conditions" out.

Dan the Man from Michigan
    First Do No Harm, A video that shows how the Ketogenic diet cures epilepsy. Meryl Streep.

Ah! Well in that case, sure, you'd need to add diabetes and epilepsy :smiley: Celiac? That's a big one these days.

CFS=Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    FM=Fibromyalgia

But I don't think we need to list everything in that category, like you say, the big ones. People can easily add any condition to the end that they are experiencing. :smile: IMO.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »

The purpose is for discussion. If a person states I am a "Blah-blah-blah", then everyone will know who they're talking to. Since people don't state this, a lot of people reply to them mistakenly. But, if you say what you are, then you can understand where they are coming from.

As far as all the many groups, maybe limit to the biggies. I don't know what CFS & FM are. I do know the Epilepsy position. I would want to add that.

I will split the "Conditions" out.

First Do No Harm, A video that shows how the Ketogenic diet cures epilepsy. Meryl Streep.

Ah! Well in that case, sure, you'd need to add diabetes and epilepsy :smiley: Celiac? That's a big one these days.

CFS=Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    FM=Fibromyalgia

But I don't think we need to list everything in that category, like you say, the big ones. People can easily add any condition to the end that they are experiencing. :smile: IMO.

Yes, that is true, but I think I'll take it even further, I think those conditions that are helped greatly by a LCHF/Keto diet should be included.

Do you know anything about FM? I have a woman friend (my age) that used to be normal sized about 8 years ago and now is about 50 lbs overweight. We go after church in a group and she is constantly telling me about all these things she can't eat or she has problems. According to her, its ok if she any kind of sweet/starchy carbs/candy.

So, a couple months ago, I Googled FM + Keto. I spent 2-3 hours reading stuff. One thing came out clearly (at least at the sites I looked at) was that it was "inconclusive" that the Keto diet actually helped. Some people said it did and many others said it didn't. So I didn't bother telling her about it. I told her husband. I think he is part of the problem, he "enables" her to eat all the sugary stuff.

Maybe I'll start this as a new topic... (don't reply here.)

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Professor Tim Noakes says that people with metabolic syndrome *probably* need to be under 25g carbs for LC to be effective for them.

• ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    I need a better description for PCOS. DragonWolf?

PCOS=Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Is that what you are looking for?

Metabolically deranged is absolutely perfect description by the way.... LOL