Options

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    moonius wrote: »
    Interesting article. Three reasons why zero carb is easier than low carb
    myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.com/wp/2015/02/three-reasons-zero-carb-easier-low-carb/

I think Kelly's story is great and I have read several of her blog posts. She did in fact lose 120 lbs. on low carb, but then moved to zero carb in maintenance. I may end up like her. I'm not ready to do zero carb mentally yet, but I think it is a great WOE.

Thanks for posting that link, Moonius! And Mistizoom, I totally agree. In fact, the only reason I'm eating any carbs now is to make my husband feel more comfortable as he watches me do this. But he's finally coming around to the idea that some meals I just may not have anything but protein and fat on my plate. It's the whole "It's just fuel" mentality that I love, and which inspired my husband to try LC eating again.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hm
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    With all these comments on headcheese I feel I must point out that lutefisk is an almost perfect protein supplement for anyone trying to fill out a macro.
    Pros:
    Before prep it will keep almost indefinitely without refrigeration.
    If you leave it in the company lunchroom fridge, it will be safe from theft.
    Cons:
    The traditional 2 week prep time.

Hmmm... had to look that one up. What a historically interesting food. I think given the era in which I live though, I will have to take a pass on that one.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    Hm
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    With all these comments on headcheese I feel I must point out that lutefisk is an almost perfect protein supplement for anyone trying to fill out a macro.
    Pros:
    Before prep it will keep almost indefinitely without refrigeration.
    If you leave it in the company lunchroom fridge, it will be safe from theft.
    Cons:
    The traditional 2 week prep time.

Hmmm... had to look that one up. What a historically interesting food. I think given the era in which I live though, I will have to take a pass on that one.

In some parts of Nort Dakotah and the Lake Wobegon area of Minnesota it is still considered a staple at Lutheran Church dinners.

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Ancestral food is the best. They knew how to make do with what they had, no matter what the culture, and in many ways the traditional ways of preserving food are among the healthiest ways to eat.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ok, getting back to the original post, I worked on this a little last night. Changed the wording. I put the classification into three groups:
    1. Regimens (carb level of eating)
    2. Modifiers (style or type of the regimen)
    3. Adjuncts (other factors)
    If you can think of something better way to word this, I'm all ears.

Regimens:
    Low Carb
    This group consumes between 50 & 150 grams of carbs a day. Food types are broad, with few exceptions, as long as they meet their daily macro goals. Very small amounts of fruits and breads are allowed.

Keto (Nutritional Ketosis)
    This group consumes between 0 to 50 grams of carbs a day. Food types are broad, with few exceptions, as long as they meet their daily macro goals. The standard macro is: 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. The goal of the group is to be “Ketogenic Adapted”. Generally speaking, most people have to stay under 25 grams a day to reach this goal. They use devices such as a Ketonix or ketones meter to confirm they are in Ketosis and stay in Ketosis consistently.

VLC Keto (Very Low Carb)
    This group consumes between 0 to 10 grams of carbs a day. Some people are highly sensitive to the bad effects of carbs. This group is one small step above Carnivore Keto. Primarily animal consumption, with a tiny amount of lo carb plants. For very fast weight loss, this group maintains a deficit of calories. Or for maintenance or slower weight loss, can eat above their TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).

Carnivore Keto (AKA Zero Carb)
    This group consumes between 0 to 5 grams of carbs a day. This group is doesn't eat plant based food with minor exceptions such as herb seasonings. The opposite of a Vegan diet. High calorie meals are ok, like VLC, they either lose slowly or maintain their weight effortlessly. With this low carb regimen, you don't need any external devices to tell you that you are Keto Adapted.

Cyclical Ketogenic Diet or CKD, TKD
    A complex Keto diet for advanced body builders used for maximum muscle growth. It cycles the carb intakes from low to high around an intense workout. There is also another similar workout/body building regimen called, "Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD)". It is also known for eating carbs before intense workouts. Both diets are normal Keto diets when not doing workouts.

Modifers
    If applicable, add the below modifiers in front of the regimen. EG: Paleo Keto, Primal Carnivore Keto, Paleo VLC.
    There are some exceptions; obviously you can’t be a “Vegan Carnivore Keto”.

Vegan
    This group eats no food derived from animals or dairy. May have some difficulty getting enough protein. For fat, they can obtain from coconut oils and some nut oils.

Paleo
    This group restricts eating highly processes foods and dairy. This diet advises that you avoid foods that were not available for consumption before the agricultural revolution. Prefers organic and un-refined foods. Paleo is opposed to saturated fats. May restrict certain types calorie free sweeteners.

Primal
    Similar to Paleo, but more liberal about what they can eat. Can eat dairy and saturated fats.

Protein-Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF)
    PSMF is a lo-carb, lo-fat, lo-calorie diet. Rapid weight loss. A long-term PSMF diet undertaken carelessly and without the care of a physician may lead to serious health risks.

Adjuncts:
    Add one or more, of the below, to further define the way-of-life.

Intermittent Fasting (IF)
    Occasional fasting (usually under 500 calories @ day) or “0” calories (water only) fasting. In the case of the under 500 calories a day ~ you may eat one particular food like, eggs or fat, etc. Usually the duration of the fast is a minimum of 16 hrs and up to 48 hrs. They may do this once a month or as in the case of a 16 hr. fast: daily and everything in between. Many health benefits are derived from the fast. Fat burning and Ketone production is at its highest.

Sedentary
    A person doesn’t do any kind of exercise. Usually has a desk job or other sit down job. They may not be able to do exercise because they are too heavy, or have injuries that flare up upon exercising.

Cardio
    A person regularly does one or more of the following: walking, jogging, light exercises and other cardio exercises. Elevate the heart rate, tones the muscles. Many other health benefits.

HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training), Body Building
    This adjunct takes Cardio to a much higher level. To build bigger muscles, often for athletes. Often coupled with the TKD & CKD Keto styles (see above).

Low FODMAP Diet
    This group has digestive problems when eating certain kinds of sugars that can cause bloating, diarrhea, constipation, etc. Some also have inflammatory bowel disease. You have to restrict consumption of fructose, lactose, fructans, galactans, and other polyols sugars found in certain fruits and zero-calorie sweeteners.

PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome)
    This group has extreme difficulty with losing weight even following the Ketogenic or lo-carb regimens.

So, after you add it all up, an example would be like the below.
    • Primal/Keto/Cardio
    • Paleo/Carnivore/Sedentary
    • Primal/VLC Keto/IF/Cardio/PCOS
    • Primal/CKD Keto/HIIT
    • Primal/Lo-carb/Cardio

I probably left something out, let me know. I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Are You Having Charlie horse/leg cramps?
    Need Potassium?
    More Emoticons
    Keto Constipation & Psyllium Husks
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I would be:

Keto/IF/Sedentary

• DittoDan
    Options
    Should I add "Diabetic" in the last category?
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Dan, should you put a line at the top that says: "All the following include High Fat intakes of 60% or higher, except where noted."
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    So.... Primal/Keto/IF/PCOS/Diabetic
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So I'd be VLC Keto/IF (fasting not done intentionally, just as a result of appetite-awareness)

(VLC with the exception of the recipes I've been testing for my husband's birthday party lately, lol - I still can't believe I ever ate up to 120g of carbs per day. Now when I hit 30 I get grumpy about it!)
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great work.
    IMO-I don't think you should add "diabetic" in the last category as it is a "condition" not necessarily your WOE. Your chosen WOE seems to be helping regulate the condition. And to clarify, that means I also wouldn't include the last two, the Low FODMAP Diet and PCOS. Those are attributed to conditions and that's a slippery slope. Then someone is going to want epilepsy in there (the original condition the keto diet was studied for), and asthma and migraines and CFS & FM, all conditions that are indeed helped by a specific WOE. Just my 2 cents. :)

Very conscise.
    What are you going to do with all this information? Are you doing this just... for fun?
    Are you keeping it all on your blog?
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am plain old keto. Almost always below 20 net but damn sugar alcohols keep me higher than 20 total. Evil creatures. I am also sometimes wishy-washy keto.

I'd like to be carnivore keto but I like veggies and quest bars and protein powder too much.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This group consumes between 0 to 50 grams of carbs a day. Food types are broad, with few exceptions, as long as they meet their daily macro goals. The standard macro is: 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. The goal of the group is to be “Ketogenic Adapted”. Generally speaking, most people have to stay under 25 grams a day to reach this goal. They use devices such as a Ketonix or ketones meter to confirm they are in Ketosis and stay in Ketosis consistently.

I don't agree that most people need to be under 25 g carbs/day to be in nutritional ketosis. Phinney and Volek are pretty clear that for most people it is 50 g carbs/day or fewer. Remember, most people are not metabolically deranged like many of us here are :). You might clarify this somehow.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »

metabolically deranged

HAHA made me spit my water, never heard this before but it is an apt description.

And I'd be Keto/Primal/Cardio/PCOS

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    On paleo, looking at Loren Cordain's sites, it looks like he's gone agnostic in regard to saturated fat.

Loren Cordain's site: http://thepaleodiet.com/whats-the-verdict-on-saturated-fatty-acids/
    "Saturated fat should be consumed in moderation."

I can't find any straight up statements on Robb Wolf's site.

I think paleo just doesn't EMPHASIZE the saturated fats the way primal does.

I'd be Primal/Keto/Sedentary-ish.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    Wow! Great work.
    IMO-I don't think you should add "diabetic" in the last category as it is a "condition" not necessarily your WOE. Your chosen WOE seems to be helping regulate the condition. And to clarify, that means I also wouldn't include the last two, the Low FODMAP Diet and PCOS. Those are attributed to conditions and that's a slippery slope. Then someone is going to want epilepsy in there (the original condition the keto diet was studied for), and asthma and migraines and CFS & FM, all conditions that are indeed helped by a specific WOE. Just my 2 cents. :)

Very conscise.
    What are you going to do with all this information? Are you doing this just... for fun?
    Are you keeping it all on your blog?

The purpose is for discussion. If a person states I am a "Blah-blah-blah", then everyone will know who they're talking to. Since people don't state this, a lot of people reply to them mistakenly. But, if you say what you are, then you can understand where they are coming from.

As far as all the many groups, maybe limit to the biggies. I don't know what CFS & FM are. I do know the Epilepsy position. I would want to add that.

I will split the "Conditions" out.

I need a better description for PCOS. DragonWolf?

I hope this helps,

First Do No Harm, A video that shows how the Ketogenic diet cures epilepsy. Meryl Streep.

• tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    primal/keto/i.f. (rarely but i do)

the exercise categories are mushy for me. i mainly do walking for cardio, and kettlebells and bodyweight for strength. i don't like long duration cardio that is also intense - it's one or thw other for me (slow low intensity, or short high intensity - but that is always primarily focused on strength & functional movement).

• tmdalton849
    Options
    not intending to derail the thread again, but do any of you offal lovers have any suggestions as to what to do with pork heart and liver? if i had a grinder i would just make sausage, but i don't.

i posted over in the paleo/primal forum but didn't get any replies.
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    sorry - pork heart and tongue, i mean.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be defining their terms -- which is nice because there's such a wide variety of ways to low carb. Diet Doctor just made a post today with his three categories for LCHF:
    Here’s my view on different levels of LCHF:

Strict LCHF <20 gram carbs per day
    Moderate LCHF 20-50 grams per day
    Liberal LCHF 50-100 grams per day
    Source

I'd fall under the generic Keto or Moderate LCHF. My carbs are often low enough for me to be in ketosis but that's not my main focus; I'm happy to eat as many carbs as I possibly can and still have a normal appetite.