Daily Check-in: Time March-es on

Options

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    @psych101‌ Just take a break & re-charge; it'll feel great. P.S. those biceps!!!! *swoon*
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    @psych101 Very nice indeed. I have too much fluff so flexing just shows off how much gravity works at this point, but some day... That is some great progress showing.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies - I think you're right Katro, I will probably take a break and just do some stretching this week...maybe some yoga
  • qstneverything
    qstneverything Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm awful, I always start Stronglifts, do it for a week or two and then abandon. On the brightside, I'm definitely getting the form down properly as I've been able to practise it for a while B)

We'll call it workout one for all intents and purposes, but I was up to workout B:

Squats 5 x 5: 20kg (about 44 pounds) which is starting weight
    Overhead Press 5 x 5: 20kg
    Deadlift 1x5: 30kg

Feel great today, let's get back into this :D
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Weds: worked out in the AM before work

Workout A
    Squat 5x5 at 40kg
    Bench press : 5x5 at 22.5kg
    Row: 5x5 at 22.5 kg

plus 15 lunges each leg with 6 kg dumbells
    2 x sets of good mornings with 20kg bar only
    2 x sets of 20 frog kicks
    15 push ups

then after work I did my muay thai class !
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Bleh, totally tweaked my back on those deadlifts I did last time (which I was totally good morning them on), so I just did some light stuff and finally got the uterus to start my way to do pull ups. Better than just taking the day off at least and playing on the gameboy.

Front Squats 3x5 65lbs
    Negative Pull ups 15
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm sick so I am out of the game for a few days.
    Gonna be so mad if I don't make the three-digit squat this month...
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga last night. I know it's supposed to be hot but it seemed hotter than usual last night. I felt woozy at a few points and had to put my head down. The instructor kept talking incessantly about anecdotes that supposedly had points but they were lost on me. It was frustrating me so that might have had something to do with my overall experience.

I'm glad I went because on my way home, I got to rescue a doggie that got clipped. Poor thing's leg was broken but she seemed fine otherwise. I coaxed her off of the busy road and sat in the grass with her while I called animal control (no owner information tag but she had a rabies tag and a home again chip). Luckily, the owner came by looking for her and saw me. Situations like this always make me want to go right to the animal shelter and adopt everything.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Bench deload day
    45 lbs x 5, 55 lbs x 5, 65 lbs x 8
    Then because I lacked a plan, I just kind of stalked around my basement, picking things up, lifting them putting them down. Tried some thrusters, found out I can't do front squats with straight grip and I can't do OH Squats so I want to work on these in my accessories for my next wendler cycle.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Brief warmup
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x115
    OHP: 5x5x70
    Dead: 1x5x130

My neck hurts today, rolled it funny. It's a finicky neck so I hope this won't delay me. Luckily it's my 2-day rest period from lifting now, so hopefully by Sunday I'll be better.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi rockstars!

It seems like everyone is doing well, many workouts were logged while I was stuck doing boring cardio everyday. I'm ready to go back to lifting, but I don't know what to do.

Should I deload from where I was before the injuries? Should I start first with body weight things? Should I do both (bodyweight + deload) during the same workout?

During the last two and a half weeks, I did cardio, mostly spinning and ATM. I have tried little things to put stress on my elbows (rowing machine, some bicep curls, packing and moving boxes full of books, things like that).

I don't know how to plan my tomorrow's workout. We're going out for the weekend, so I want it to be effective, but I don't want to do another 60 minutes of cardio, I want to do strenght training. Any suggestions for me?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    @DaivaSimone - how much had you progressed from starting to SL to when you stopped lifting because of injuries? If it was about 10-15%, I would start back at the beginning. I know that sounds like it's gonna suck, but SL would deload you that much anyways. And it gives you a chance to check/watch form again. If you progressed by more than 20%, I would do the normal deload of 10% and see how that feels.

(This is all based on my own experience and knowing my body. I don't know the extent of the injuries and limitations, so the actual numbers are something you'll need to play around with and adjust to your own needs/abilities.)
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    I'm not good with maths, but I started at the beginning of the program (lifting just the bar) and progressed to 130 squats, 130 deadlifts, 70 BP, 70 row and 50 OHP. The Stronglifts app recommend a 30% deload, so 95 squats, 95 DL, 45 BP, 65 row and 45 OHP.

I'm not sure why the app have a different calculation for the bench press deloal and the row deload because I was lifting the same load. That's weird.

Anyway.

So you would just go with a normal (but deloaed) SL workout?
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm not good with maths, but I started at the beginning of the program (lifting just the bar) and progressed to 130 squats, 130 deadlifts, 70 BP, 70 row and 50 OHP. The Stronglifts app recommend a 30% deload, so 95 squats, 95 DL, 45 BP, 65 row and 45 OHP.

I'm not sure why the app have a different calculation for the bench press deloal and the row deload because I was lifting the same load. That's weird.

Anyway.

So you would just go with a normal (but deloaed) SL workout?

The row vs bench thing is because they recommend you start at 65lbs on the rows (wuh? yeah, baffles me too, since I can bench more than I can row xD. Um, that's probably not a good thing... :pensive: )

I'd warm up as if you were going to hit those deload numbers, something like 45x5, 65x5, 80x3 for the squats, or whatever your usual progression would be, but keeping the option to just stick to whatever weight you're at if anything at all feels a bit off or wonky or hurts.

If you end up sticking back, I'd take some extra time (which you might have cuz you won't need as much recovery) to do some rehab/prehab moves for the stuff that hurt in order to get the best bang for your buck for that first workout back :)
  • DaivaSimone
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'll do just that. Usual warm up, than deload with the usual warm up sets. It's workout A tomorrow, I think, so squats, bench and rows,,, and then I'll try to do some flexibility work (and maybe grip work). And I may throw in a 20 minutes spinning session (if I'm not too tired) so I would have plenty of calories to drink all the wine I need to celebrate my six months wedding "anniversary" tomorrow. ;)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Agree with what krokador said DaivaSimone.

Workout B for me today.
    Squats 5x5 at 140#. My form is feeling pretty good 90% of the time. I'm really working on the knee caving issue.
    OHP 5x5 at 70#. These felt good, hard but good.
    DL 1x5 at 180#. Felt good. I'm half-tempted to skip progressing back to my 200 deads, but I think I'll just progress like I should so I don't go too hard too fast.
    Some accessories after:
    Light deads to work on grip and execution of form 3x10 at 135#.
    Lunges 3x16 at 60#.
    Straight leg deads 3x10 at 60.
    Assisted pullups.
    And a mile walk.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Squat 95 5x5 up from 85
    Deadlift 115 3x5 (one set sumo) up from 95
    OHP 50 5x5 up from 45

All felt pretty easy. I was in a time crunch to meet my friend at the movies but got some accessories in:

Split squat 50 3x10 each side
    Goblet squat 30 3x12
    Kettle bell swing 20 3x15

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i managed an am workout. awake at 5, protein shake parked in squat rack by 6:20 or so. and sleepy.

squats: 2x5@45, 1@5@65, 5x5@80. not really my greatest squats or my easiest, but i got them all done with a minute or two of rest in between.

ohp: i'm not sure. 45lb, pretty sure i did 5 sets in the end, but i kept failing at about the 3rd or 4th on a couple of them, so there were repeat sets in there. it wasn't really feeling right this time around.

deadlifts: 5x1@120, i think? clearly the issue with lifting that early is by the time i get home i can't remember anymore what i did. but i stopped at the other gym on my way home just for do-overs, and i know i did 5x1 at 120 that time.

whoa but the ride to work was a slog this morning. last time i did the workout before the ride i felt fine, but this time i was like a finalist in the molasses marathon. all week i've been planning/promising myself i'll come home after work, eat dinner and go to bed to get a good start on my sleeping; haven't managed it yet. but i think that it really has to happen tonight.

accessory, end of day: 3x8@50lb rows, because working the rear shoulder feels so good after either version of press. various sets of ohp again, with much lighter bars. and a few sets of one-sided press on the left, with a 5lb dumbbell. plus the do-over deadlifts at 120.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Long day leading up to an interesting time in the gym. My biceps sure felt it tonight but that in part is probably from hours of working freight including cases of water and teas that I had to carry through a passkey protected door then open the cooler door before being able to put down again. Got a lot done at least. Since I did front squats last time, I decided to try some of the things from workout B from stage 2 tonight. I skipped all of the crunches though. And I did them in different order based on what was the most convenient at the time. Felt weird carrying my book in a small bag to double check on some of the lifts but oh well.

Random Workout, parts from Stage 2 B

underhand lat pulldown 3x10 @ 60 - wasn't sure at first but not bad overall, I may like it.

db prone cuban snatch 3x8 @ 5 - the weight is easy but the motion is awkward, had to fix the seat after the first set.

bulgarian split squat 3x8 each foot @ 10 - yeah, a lune but not bad though the bench may be too high for me, I might try a smaller step next time.

wide-grip deadlift from box 3x8 @ 95 - Don't like lugging the step around but it turned out to be better than I first expected. I used a set of plates to get the bar up a little higher which barely fit alongside the long step but made it work.

Considered doing the other lunge but chickened out as I was putting away the step I'd be using for it since other people were in the room where they are kept for class use.

Extra
    wide grip lat pulldown 3x8 @ 70 - these were hard to get all the reps done.
    db shrug 3x10 @ 27.5 - little more challenging now.
    assisted chin-up 3x8 @ 14 - tad easier this time, still so long to go.

Yay for day off work tomorrow!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Lifting day again finally! Had an unintended 3 days off. Too busy at work.

Squats 5x5 85 lbs
    OHP 5x5 45 lbs
    Deadlift 5x5 125 lbs
    Bench 5x5 65 lbs
    Lat pulldowns 5x5 70 lbs