Daily Check-in: Time March-es on

Options

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Here's the training sesh that happened this morning: Week 2 of UBB 2.0 Construct Phase. Nothing quite like hitting the legs on a Sunday morning!

1A) EMOTM x6 Power Snatch x2 @ 65lbs (70%) -- this felt pretty easy, I was even able to add some ankle mobility work in between sets. Wish i had taken the time to get a video, bar path felt good but a visual confirmation woulda been nice

2A) Back squats 5x5 @ 137.5lbs (75%)
    2B) Assisted (~65lbs resistance band) dips x submax (7/6/6/7/8)

3A) Metcon #2 - For time: 14:30
    - 15, 10, 5 OH Squat ­@ 75lbs
    - 20, 15, 10 1arm DB snatch (alt. arm) @ 35lbs
    - 25, 20, 15 push-ups

I ended up doing the 1arm snatch reps PER ARM instead of total because I hadn't written it down in my notebook. No wonder it took me 4 minutes more than the last time I hit this up! But hey, I'd rather do more work than not enough. I was trashed at the end!

NMW Recline rows x13 and push-ups x18 (wasn't sure I'd hit this one, but I'm glad I did).

I think I figured out why my squat progress has stalled so much: In narrowing my stance to nurse my knee, I ended up taking the adductors almost completely out of the lift. I widened my feet just a tad today and it made a huge difference in my power out of the hole (my inner leg hurts like a b**** now, too xD Knee is good tho so I'm happy)

Hoping to get in a good 45-60 min walk in the warm-ish sunlight this afternoon as well. I love me some spring weather :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Sigh

I hate typing on this thing. Between the wonky little keyboard that is called wireless even though it has to be plugged in to usb to work, how it misses letters I swear I press, adds spaces at random and my computer's decision to correct me at random, it's hard to communicate. Sad thing is, I did a quick edit last night before posting in the other forum (just copy and pasted in here) and didn't notice it said lunch instead of lunge.

I have the picture on my phone, not computer. Email then do stuff, that's too much effort for a little picture of my badly written workout. Oh well.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I love to workout but the practical side of me definitely sees it as insurance too.

yeah, i can see that. and everyone's mileage is different too with ra, so who knows. but the deal is that expecting weightlifting to cure a systemic condition like this is like expecting it to cure you of an allergy to penicillin. they're about the same thing.

To Canadianlbs: My mistake about the exercise part - I was thinking more of the osteo arthritis in which exercise is supposed to help. My son recently burned a DVD for his Grandfather of a few exercises from youtube that the council on aging suggests for OA. Thanks for schooling me on RA though. I haven't researched much on it since no flares in a long while. Indianarose.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    Workout A:
    Squats - 5x5 @‌ 85
    Bench Press - 5x5 @ 44 - YAH! I'll graduate to the oly bar next workout!
    Barbell Row - 5x5 @ 53

Sumo Squats - 1x5 @‌ 45

Finished my 3rd week, noticed that my squats are not as deep (below parallel), should I continue with the same working weight until I hit below parallel or deload?

I so enjoy reading each post, learn so much!

If 85 was easy mode I'd just go up and make an effort to do parallel your next session. If they were some challenge or you want to be on the safe side, I'd repeat your work weight until you get the form right. Deload when you fail 3 times. Be sure to do the warmup sets and treat them like your work set - that helps out practicing the form.

85 is challenging but manageable, I noticed at 70 that I wasn't hitting below parallel but kept trying, at this point I agree with you to repeat work weight to work on form/depth...thanks @awkwardsoul, it always helps to bounce things over with someone!
  • indianarose2
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Sigh

I hate typing on this thing. Between the wonky little keyboard that is called wireless even though it has to be plugged in to usb to work, how it misses letters I swear I press, adds spaces at random and my computer's decision to correct me at random, it's hard to communicate. Sad thing is, I did a quick edit last night before posting in the other forum (just copy and pasted in here) and didn't notice it said lunch instead of lunge.

Dawn: I'm with you! I hate trying to type anything substantial on anything but my regular laptop. and Autotype is ridiculous sometimes! Hence, I haven't posted anything in days... kids always have my laptop!

I'm using the SL 5x5 app bc it is easy for now, that's all i'm doing and I like the little timer.

B workout (dumbells and wrist weights)
    squat 5x5 40#
    press 5x5 25#
    deadlift 1x5 55#

A workout: (dumbells and wrist weights)
    squat 5x5 45#
    bench 5x5 40#
    row 5x5 30#

Now some rambling bc I'm new and hoping anyone who is interested/has time/feels inclined might comment.
    1. I've been watching the Riptoe vids on form. I think I'm doing Ok. I was feeling the squat heavily in my upper hip (Tenor Faciae Latae? per a diagram i looked at). Now I am concentrating on putting my weight on my heels, driving from my hips...and I don't feel the pressure in my hip anymore.
    2. These weights in general are feeling pretty easy. I know I can count on them getting harder so I'm trying to learn all I can about good form. I found myself doing these last two workouts alternating the first 2 lifts out of boredom to get it done.
    3. I am struggling with only lifting 3 days a week and only 3 lifts. I was doing daily supersets (chest/back 2x/wk, bi/tri 2x/wk, legs 1x/wk) before so this is a big change. As the workouts get more challenging I am hoping it will help.
    4. The hardest thing right now though is that my progress on weight and inches has stalled since starting this routine. Very confusing. My intake has been pretty to very good I think. I rarely go over net cals and try to underestimate burns. My intake is 1310 per MFP and another TDEE calc confirmed it a month ago when I started. However, I checked 2 other TDEE calcs and found that with a 20% deficit I could/should be able to consume 1600-1700 cals. Should I up my cals? I was losing on average a #&an inch per week. Could it be I'm not lifting heavy enough? My starting loads were about 1/2 of a 5 rep set that I was doing previously - saw that as a starting point somewhere here on how to get started...
    5. Lastly, started looking into oly bars and wondering if a 6' bar would fit on most power racks as that is what I am leaning towards investing in.
    Thanks in advance if you care to reply!

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Cardio - Couch to 5k, Week 4 Day 2

Not bad. Still tough, especially near the end but I make it through the jogging each time and part way in the cool down it's like "is that all?"... Though would be better without the cramps, bleh. Now to curl up, maybe eat and get ready for work.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Back from my break (of 1 week)

Workout B (Sun)

Underhand Biceps Curl Seated - 5 x 5 115

Reverse curls - 5 x 5 - 105

Squats 5 x 5 - 175

Bench press - 1 x 5 - 105

Deadlift 5 x 5 - 195

Flat Dumbbell Fly - 5 x 5 - 40
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Triples will not happen today. Soooooooooo tired. No energy to lift. Only motivation to sleep. Triples will be done tomorrow. Over and out.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Sigh

Dawn: I'm with you! I hate trying to type anything substantial on anything but my regular laptop. and Autotype is ridiculous sometimes! Hence, I haven't posted anything in days... kids always have my laptop!

I'm using the SL 5x5 app bc it is easy for now, that's all i'm doing and I like the little timer.

B workout (dumbells and wrist weights)
    squat 5x5 40#
    press 5x5 25#
    deadlift 1x5 55#

A workout: (dumbells and wrist weights)
    squat 5x5 45#
    bench 5x5 40#
    row 5x5 30#

Now some rambling bc I'm new and hoping anyone who is interested/has time/feels inclined might comment.
    1. I've been watching the Riptoe vids on form. I think I'm doing Ok. I was feeling the squat heavily in my upper hip (Tenor Faciae Latae? per a diagram i looked at). Now I am concentrating on putting my weight on my heels, driving from my hips...and I don't feel the pressure in my hip anymore.
    2. These weights in general are feeling pretty easy. I know I can count on them getting harder so I'm trying to learn all I can about good form. I found myself doing these last two workouts alternating the first 2 lifts out of boredom to get it done.
    3. I am struggling with only lifting 3 days a week and only 3 lifts. I was doing daily supersets (chest/back 2x/wk, bi/tri 2x/wk, legs 1x/wk) before so this is a big change. As the workouts get more challenging I am hoping it will help.
    4. The hardest thing right now though is that my progress on weight and inches has stalled since starting this routine. Very confusing. My intake has been pretty to very good I think. I rarely go over net cals and try to underestimate burns. My intake is 1310 per MFP and another TDEE calc confirmed it a month ago when I started. However, I checked 2 other TDEE calcs and found that with a 20% deficit I could/should be able to consume 1600-1700 cals. Should I up my cals? I was losing on average a #&an inch per week. Could it be I'm not lifting heavy enough? My starting loads were about 1/2 of a 5 rep set that I was doing previously - saw that as a starting point somewhere here on how to get started...
    5. Lastly, started looking into oly bars and wondering if a 6' bar would fit on most power racks as that is what I am leaning towards investing in.
    Thanks in advance if you care to reply!

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I was thinking more of the osteo arthritis in which exercise is supposed to help.

makes sense. on weight and inches, i'm not sure how this applies for someone who's already used to more volume at lower weights but water retention and other upticks are very familiar to a lot of us when we go heavy and or come back after rest. 1350 sounds low even for someone who doesn't work out a whole lot, to me.

• indianarose2
    Options
    Thanks canadianlbs. I was wondering about water retention etc. and 1350 feels low to me but I was avg'ing 1#/wk so I may hold for a little while longer especially since no loss recently.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    4 hr derby bootcamp today. My legs hurt.
    My first big game of the season in 2 weeks. Another (harder) bootcamp in 3 weeks. Home opener in 5 weeks. It will be a busy month! I need to make up some progress from this month though if I want to keep on track.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    One of those derpy lifting nights.

Squats 5x5 165lbs - not 100% happy with form again, should of repeated my last weight but forgot. I should just mark it on the app as a fail so I remember for next time.
    OHP 5/5/5/5/2 70lbs - BLOODY HELL I got psyched out on the last set! ARRGGGHH
    DeadLift 1x5 155lbs - So on warm ups the plates hit the squat rack and bounced back and hit me in the shin. Not fun.

Trying some casein tonight which I hope will combat my post lifting next day hunger beast - it tastes like sand, yay. bleh.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Sadly today was all helliptical. The cage was in use when I got there and I was watching it like a hawk while on the elliptical, then I got distracted by the show that was on and stopped watching for two minutes and in that time it turned over to someone else. Sigh.

On the plus side I really liked the show that was on Food Network and I don't get that channel at home, so I spent a whole hour on the helliptical which is unheard of for me. At least I worked off some of my caloric overages from the weekend!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine introduced me to this great all you can eat sushi place on Saturday and then hubs was a little pouty that he didn't get sushi so we went back there on Sunday.... Needless to say, good by weekly deficit. Oh well, that happens. Decided that this morning would be a great day to do deadlift day instead of ohp. I also had the grand idea to have 1.5 scoops of C4. Omg, I think I can taste colours.
    Dls 135 x 5 160 x 5 180 x 5. I had the energy to go for six but my form felt off so I erred on the side of caution.
    3x8 emotm front squats (empty bar)
    Then a modified wod (because I forgot my accessories plan at work)
    40 pistol squats (20 per leg)
    10 Lunges (5 per leg)
    30 pistol al squats
    20 Lunges
    20 pistol squats
    30 Lunges
    10 pistol squats
    40 Lunges
    Now time to get ready for work!!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I also had the grand idea to have 1.5 scoops of C4. Omg, I think I can taste colours.

y9bwb92yzjib.jpg
    cw4kivw47mw7.jpg
    ld9nt1jvknl4.png

• DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    @mirrim52 keep us posted about your roller derby extravaganza! I would love to be in the derby league here in Montreal, but there's not so much openings on the team. I may try next year.

Workout B this morning. I had still some DOMS from Friday workout (you know, those flash gordon DOMS I was talking about? well, it was way, way worst on Saturday, and still handicapping on Sunday... brutal), so squats were painful and my form was junk. It's hard to get back on track. The deload is hard on my ego, but the fact that I'm just unable to perform squats without being in pain, that's just maddening. Still, I completed the workout.

Warm up: 15 minutes ATM

OHP: 1x7 @ 30, 5 x 5 @ 35.

Squats: 2x5 @ 45 (after those, I had another episode of flash gordon DOMS), 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 75, 5x5 @ 80. I did 85 on Friday, but my thighs didn't want to cooperate today, really.

Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 85.

Then plank (60 seconds, I've lost some endurance), stretch and foam rolling (so painful, blah!).

All in all, this workout was ok. I'm hoping on using my bike tomorrow morning, that will probably help with thighs DOMS.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    katro111 wrote: »
    I also had the grand idea to have 1.5 scoops of C4. Omg, I think I can taste colours.

cw4kivw47mw7.jpg

So much of this... although the crash will probably be just as spectacular as the high, but I will worry about that later, first I must complete all of my work before I slip into a coma! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga Saturday. Did lots of hip openers and my right flexor is still a bit sore. Plan on doing SL today after work.