Daily Check-in: Time March-es on

Options

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Love your avatar, @katro111‌ , lol. Good job, too. 4:30??
    Lol, I'm trying to make @crabada 's autocorrect fail a thing. ;)

Welcome to my life! LOL I'm up at 4:20 M/W/F to get to the gym by 5. I don't like lifting in the evening. I do so much better working out on an empty tummy.

I do not enjoy morning lifting. On workdays, I'm at my best between 3pm and 5pm. On my work from home days or weekends, between noon and 2pm is ideal. I can do fasted cardio just fine (if I ever decide to do cardio, that is, lol) but I need at least one meal in me before lifting or I will burn out all my energy before I'm done with all my sets.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    katro111 wrote: »
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Love your avatar, @katro111‌ , lol. Good job, too. 4:30??
    Lol, I'm trying to make @crabada 's autocorrect fail a thing. ;)

Welcome to my life! LOL I'm up at 4:20 M/W/F to get to the gym by 5. I don't like lifting in the evening. I do so much better working out on an empty tummy.

I do not enjoy morning lifting. On workdays, I'm at my best between 3pm and 5pm. On my work from home days or weekends, between noon and 2pm is ideal. I can do fasted cardio just fine (if I ever decide to do cardio, that is, lol) but I need at least one meal in me before lifting or I will burn out all my energy before I'm done with all my sets.

You're my workout timing twin :heart: I have brain fog, nausea, and lack of coordination in the morning. Afternoons and evenings are my peak performance times.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    You're my workout timing twin :heart: I have brain fog, nausea, and lack of coordination in the morning. Afternoons and evenings are my peak performance times.

i'm very comfortable with pm lifting as well. the only thing is, it tends to expand and take up as much of the evening as i allow it to, and the two times i've achieved it so far there's really been something cool about being over and done with the workout before i even get to my desk. so i've been sort of toying with the idea of going for the way-early option myself. plus, pm rush. from the little i've seen, it seems like the rowdies come out in the evenings, but the mornings tend to be sober and sensible people who do their x sets and move on.

my hesitation about committing to it as an idea is that i'm not always loose enough to trust myself in the mornings. it's not like my rheumatoid arthritis is all that aggressive, touch wood. but the morning stiffness thing is a Thing. so i'm divided right now. to just wake up and go lift probably wouldn't be such a smart thing for me.

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Brain fog is definitely what I felt this morning!

@canadianlbs - Ahhh, yeah, having to deal with a gym's PM rush might make me try to be more of an AM workout person. I lift in my basement so my routine is to chug my pre-workout on the car ride home, get home and change my clothes, then go straight into my warm-up and workout. My husband has no interest in lifting so my power rack and weights are allllllll mine.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Alright lifting session today

Squats 5/6/5/5/5 155lb - apparently I can't count. I was recording my form on the second set and when I was watching it I counted 6 reps. whoops.
    OHP 5x5 67.5lb - WHOO HOOOO!
    Deadlift 1x5 155lb - gonna repeat this, it felt bad and I'm pretty sure I failed form as my back hurt after the adrenaline went away. That and I probably need to do switch grip now.
  • barneychavez
    barneychavez Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    you ladies are so awesome! you guys definitely inspire to push myself at the gym! thanks for helping me with the squats--i think stretching has helped!

worked out tonight and last saturday. following the 5x5/strong curves hybrid, did some hanging leg raises today. that's a very loose usage of the phrase "did"--could barely do 5 reps. they were killer! walking lunges and one leg glute bridges definitely got my heart rate up. on the bright side, can now leg press 200 lbs for 12 reps!

i guess thats the bright side of working out with your spouse or a partner...instead of hanging around and waiting for them to finish, you can just keep on adding more exercises!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Ran 5km last night

Lifting tonight

Squat 5x5 @ 155lbs.
    OHP 5x5 @ 55lbs. Massive deload, had a weird cramp in my right shoulder so playing it safe
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 190lbs, 1x3@220lbs, 1x5@210lbs

Some hip thrusters, lat pull downs, step up and dumbbell presses for fun
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OK today was,

15min elliptical warmup (just cause cage was taken)
    Squats 5x5@95, second time. These were still really really hard. I can't decide if I will stay here or move up. I don't seem to push myself in moving up, but it's just because I want to be safe and I figure lifting at all is better than going super fast, right?
    OHP 3x5, 2x4 @ 50 with 5x5 Good mornings. Even though I didn't get the last rep on the last two sets I was still really proud to be doing OHP at all at 50! I really only did 50 because I wanted to use the 50 on my good mornings.

That was all I could do because the deadlift bar was taken over on my 4th OHP set (at 12:15AM and I still can't get all the equip I need wtf)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Haven't been checking in lately, whoops!

I've started Unbreakable badass 2.0 on Sunday. This is test week of the construct phase, so I worked up to a power snacth 1rm which was a PR at 92.5lbs, And a heavy squat triple of 175lbs on the first day. Then a 92.5lbs OHP 1RM yesterday as well as some crappeh assisted pull-ups that are barely worth mentioning.

I am beat up like nobody's business so last night I spent like 45-60 minutes stretching and foam rolling and I did a 25 min yoga video this morning and plan on doing a lil more core work and foam rolling tonight because I'm going right back at it tomorrow AM for I think pike presses and heavy front squat triple?

I get all of you guys not liking to workout in the AM. It's not my favorite thing ever. I wake up at 5 usually to make it to the gym around 6, 6:15 and then spend 15-25 minutes warming up before I can get into the real deal. But it's the only way I can make this work at the moment, so I'll keep at it. And this is why I like caffeine so much >_>
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Deadlift deload week
    5 x 80 lbs 5 x 105 lbs 5 x 125 lbs I could have got more on the last set but I was just so tired.
    I did 3x8 front squats with just the bar.
    Then I tried doing a wod from a website and even with modifications had a tough time.
    It was 2 rounds in 3 minutes as many times as you can complete the work rounds
    Pistol squats 4 (I did these hanging on to the bar) chest to bar pull ups (I just did inverted rows) 4,
    Then add 4 each round. I got through 2 rounds and called it quits. My quads are very very sore.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Hi All!!

I'm back from my vacation to England and Ireland. I pretty much got zero workouts in while I was there. I did do a 3.3 mile run one day, then a GORUCK event another. I did lots of walking though.

I got back on Saturday, and hit the weights on Sunday. I could definitely tell I hadn't lifted in almost two weeks. Ouch.
    Did workout B:
    Squats 5x5 at 135#. Still working on form. These felt stupid heavy. Not a good squat day.
    OHP 5x5 at 65#. These felt solid.
    Deloaded deads 1x5 at 175#. These felt pretty good. They felt challenging, but not too heavy. I'm glad I deloaded though because trying to do 205 would have been too much.
    Walked 1.5 miles afterwards.

Did hot yoga yesterday morning followed by a WOD at the gym. The WOD was 0.25 mile run then 15 assisted pull-ups. Did that 6 times total for time. Finished in 20:59.32. It was really good and challenging.

And the DOMS have set in today, both from lifting on Sunday and yesterday's WOD.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @canadianlbs RA is definitely a concern. I have arthritis in my toes and I'm stiff in the morning, more so when it's cold and/or rainy. As for cardio in the morning, forget it. I used to run with a group on Friday mornings and I'd have a burst of energy for about an hour then I'd almost fall asleep at my desk. I admire everyone that makes their morning workouts, well, work!

Last night I made up a little circuit to get the blood pumping but also to have an excuse to wear my new workout clothes. Posted on my wall but here it is:

Dumb bell rows 40 3x12
    Prison dips 3x12
    Goblet squat 20 3x12
    Chest fly 16 3x12
    Push ups 3x10
    Cobra 3x10
    Swimmers 3x30
    Glute bridges 40 3x12
    Lateral raises 10 3x15
    Front raises 10 3x15
    Kettle bell swings 20 3x15
    Good mornings 20 3x15
    Donkey kicks 3x12 each side

Today's agenda is to lift after my ear nose & throat doc appointment then maybe go to yoga tonight. It's not usually a class I do but I like the instructor and she rarely teaches in the evenings/weekends when I can attend.

• indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    RA - shoot ladies I thought exercise helps with RA? Imagine what it might be like if you didn't workout. I've got RA antibodies but no flares in a long time.
    Started my 2nd week of SL 5x5 yesterday and am loving it! It sometimes feels really easy but when I've done I'm pretty tired. Keeps surprising me.
    B workout with Dumbbells (Please don't laugh):
    Squat: 40
    OP: 25
    DL: 55
    Questions:
    - is there a certain proportion/ratio of weight that I should be using between these lifts in order to achieve balance?
    - I've read several daily post where some are nursing injuries. How best to avoid these injuries? Form...?
    Thanks!!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    RA - shoot ladies I thought exercise helps with RA? Imagine what it might be like if you didn't workout. I've got RA antibodies but no flares in a long time.
    Started my 2nd week of SL 5x5 yesterday and am loving it! It sometimes feels really easy but when I've done I'm pretty tired. Keeps surprising me.
    B workout with Dumbbells (Please don't laugh):
    Squat: 40
    OP: 25
    DL: 55
    Questions:
    - is there a certain proportion/ratio of weight that I should be using between these lifts in order to achieve balance?
    - I've read several daily post where some are nursing injuries. How best to avoid these injuries? Form...?

Thanks!!

In regards to the bolded, your DL will most likely always be more than your squat. I could look up a few sources, but the general gist is that it's easier to pick up heavy items than it is to squat the heavy items plus some of your body weight. It's ok to have a difference in weights. The main thing you want to do is make sure you are working your total body evenly for your current fitness level.

For the most part, injuries are prevented by having proper form. Some of the injuries being nursed could be injuries caused by workouts other than lifting or a chronic injury (meaning an old and/or recurring injury). If you don't currently have any injuries, then form is your best friend to prevent lifting injuries.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm so behind on check-ins! The hard drive on my computer was getting replaced and I'm too lazy to post from an iPad!

Anyway - In the middle of a stressful time of year for work and I'm using that energy to power some workouts. :)

Last night hit 100 pounds on squats 5x5 (form had some trouble here, so I'm going to step back and work on that). But it was great to hit triple digits finally.

Still plugging away at 50 lbs on OHP. Trying to rest very little in between sets as a form of progressing.

Hit 135 on my deadlift last night - big plates. My last was at 115, but I just wanted to do 45's and felt like I could. Hit 5 reps with what felt like good form. It was challenging and I was really nervous that I wasn't going to be able to do it. And I was certain the whole gym would point and laugh. Lo and behold that didn't happen.

Finished up with some bodyweight stuff - single leg RDL, split squats, etc.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    My injury was caused by poor form so definitely work on that. I over arched on a squat and pulled muscles in by back. That said, barbell is definitely better to use for SL, esp once the weight increases. Are you able to access the right equipment eventually?
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    So, although I have slacked off checking in, I've managed to pull through with my workouts (just didn't come here to tell everyone :smile:). So short version of the days I didn't log - every other day lifting or cardio, and Saturday was a rest day.
    Today:
    Brief cardio warmup
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x115
    Bench: 5x5x85
    Row: 5x5x75
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Today is a non-lifting day for me, so just a 30 min Daily Burn video and 15 min of pilates.

I did workout A yesterday. (Yes, I'm new and I'm weak.)
    Squats: 5x5 at 50
    Bench: 5x5 at 40
    Rows: 5x5 at 40
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Squat 85
    Row 65
    Bench 75

Skull crushers 40 3x8
    Dumb bell lunge 50 3x12 each side
    Lat pull down 5 setting (50?) 3x8

Don't know if yoga is in the cards tonight because I'm hungry and want to start making my curry.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thanks xcalygrl and missholiday for the excellent info! I will be sure to view lots of form vids. I am hoping to do this at home though I enjoy gyms. I think I have room in my workout area for a squat rack and my teenage son is interested in working out with me if I get a barbell and weights. Again, am hoping it will work. I homeschool my kids and my hubbie works a lot so working out at home works best for me. I will very soon like next week max out on DL with my Dumbbells.