Before and Afters ANYONE????

Options

Replies

• iam4life
    iam4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Rockmaker wrote: »
    Is there even such a thing as a BMI waiver?

My health insurance company offers a discount for healthy people, & it involves an A1c blood test and a BMI calculation. But they actually do offer a waiver for muscular people. So, I'd say, "Yes."
  • iam4life
    iam4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Is it like that for skinny people who get strong and buff? One day will I look at my bulging pecs, arms and 6 pack and see a wimpy skinny girl? :'(

Is it that you look at yourself and still think you have too much weight left to lose, or that you're sad that you were fat...or you're sad you're not fat anymore?

Two years ago I went to HI for a cousin's wedding (talk about incentive to lose weight!) My husband and I did p90x for three months to prepare. Their app has a way to take pics every 30 days, and in the middle of the program, I never felt like I was having success, and even as the wedding approached, comparing my first and last photos, I didn't see the change.

I did, however, feel more fit and stronger than ever before. That's what led me to restart P90x last week. When I opened the app to take my before photo, I saw the pic from 2 years ago. I didn't even recognize me. I HAD A SIX PACK AND NEVER EVEN SAW IT.

So, in analyzing my body-image issues, I think yes, we all need therapy!! I only saw the squishy skin or poochy gut that just wouldn't go away... (I've since decided my "poochy gut" is due to a muscle tear from bearing 7-lb twins. And it's not that poochy at all, just poochier and more stretched-marked than before.)

I honestly feel like my insistence on shopping at thrift stores drove my dissatisfaction, because the clothes just didn't fit right to flatter my figure. I just now invested some serious funds in a new wardrobe, from an actual retail outlet, gasp. And I feel happy when I get dressed. I focus on changes I like. And I've decided to let my husband tell me all the changes he sees in my progress pictures, because for some reason, I'm blind to it.

So, in summary, you might actually always see the wimpy girl you used to be, but you'll just have to fight that urge. Make sure you take photos regularly!

And as an aside, I'm pretty sure I broke my foot doing day 2 of p90x this time around! Why, God, why??! <whine>

• m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm having the opposite problem. I'm down almost 25 pounds but no one else (other than my significant other) has noticed. I've noticed clothes are looser or things that didn't fit now fit. The other day a friend of mine asked me about what I plan to wear to an event that is happening in June. When I told her and then told her the dress is too small now but it should fit by June, she said, "you've already been dieting since January though. Do you really think that you'll lose weight by then?" It isn't like I told her I needed to lose another 40 pounds by June. Her tone clearly implied that she doesn't think I've lost any weight. I guess the positive side is that no one noticed those last 25 pounds when I was gaining? :neutral_face: That one comment knocked me off track immediately that night.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    One way to look at this is to take any pictures you have and resize them until the distance between your eyes, and if you can between your eyes and your mouth is in the same proportion (like you could put the pictures on top of each other). Then look at them side by side. You can even make one partially transparent... LOL

All that being said, how I feel is my win, not whether someone notices. And in all likelihood, @m_puppy, your friend is probably basing her questions off of her own experiences and failures. She's never had that type of success and has no point of reference. She doesn't want to believe that you can do it if she can't, and therefore, she ignores the facts in front of her face.

Also, while we are hiding in loose clothing, it is harder for others to see, other than our faces. Your SO hopefully sees you OUT of all those loose clothing items and therefore has a better point of reference.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thank you. You're right. I knew this but I needed it said the way that you said it. She's actually recovering from a tummy tuck. She's always been skinny fat but having kids ruined her stomach. She's never gained weight, she simply doesn't eat. I know that she is an insecure person, I just needed the obvious reminder I guess.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I was going to point out about the clothing as well. When I am heavier, I tend to layer scarves and sweaters over my pants and shirts; nobody but my husband and kids see me in form-fitting clothes, so nobody but my husband and kids will notice smaller increments of weight loss.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If her own self-view is skewed, of course her view of you might be, too. Glad you're letting reality help you level out on this worry/irritation. (hugs)
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    @iam4life Sometimes when I'm out with hubby and there are people around I will ask him to 'pick one' with as similar a figure as possible to myself. He always picks a slimmer one than I choose as my own body-double. It does help me a little to see what I truly look like. And he's truthful, he would never be complimentary when I've asked him for honesty. He's never been disciplined for honesty ;) so he has no need to lie.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    @iam4life Sometimes when I'm out with hubby and there are people around I will ask him to 'pick one' with as similar a figure as possible to myself. He always picks a slimmer one than I choose as my own body-double. It does help me a little to see what I truly look like. And he's truthful, he would never be complimentary when I've asked him for honesty. He's never been disciplined for honesty ;) so he has no need to lie.

That's a great idea! My husband always points out pear-shaped women with large thighs wearing shorts and says, "See, honey, you could wear shorts--look at her--she's shaped just like you, and she looks good." Of course I always think he's just being sweet and come up with a million reasons why *I* would not look as good as the woman he pointed out.... but maybe I should start listening to him.
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 380 but I avoided cameras then. Today I weigh 278 pounds.
    o76lwhajf7z2.jpg
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    moonius wrote: »
    o76lwhajf7z2.jpg

Looking great, you can really see it in your face.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Better, more willing smile, too!
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    o76lwhajf7z2.jpg

Yay for the new you!! Your body got smaller but I think your smile got bigger! :D So encouraging.
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Now to lose the next 100 pounds...
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Now to lose the next 100 pounds...

Oh you've SO got this!!!!!
    B)
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    B)
    I am continually stunned and amazed at the achievements here. I have a long way to go and it's posts like these that help me along.

I admire your determination, resilience and achievements. Congratulations to you all.

<3
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just remember every meal is a step towards or a step away from your goal. Either way you are motivated by something. When you are taking a step away from your goal you are putting a different short term goal in front of it. Figure out what it is (tired, depressed, body craving, etc) and decide if that is truly more important. Usually it is not.
    Find a better way to deal with the short term goal (go to bed, get busy, or pop a stick of sugar free gum in your mouth, etc) and carry on.
    It all happens one meal at a time. One pound (or kg) at a time.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    o76lwhajf7z2.jpg

Yay for the new you!! Your body got smaller but I think your smile got bigger! :D So encouraging.

Definitely!
  • annsmith324
    annsmith324 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    parkdad73 wrote: »
    Just remember every meal is a step towards or a step away from your goal. Either way you are motivated by something. When you are taking a step away from your goal you are putting a different short term goal in front of it. Figure out what it is (tired, depressed, body craving, etc) and decide if that is truly more important. Usually it is not.
    Find a better way to deal with the short term goal (go to bed, get busy, or pop a stick of sugar free gum in your mouth, etc) and carry on.
    It all happens one meal at a time. One pound (or kg) at a time.

This is fantastic! Thank you!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    b57cf01ef11a0a4e8e38f0682b2b08b392ae.jpg June 7, 2014.....about 190 lbs.

b57c209e62e045457c055f375f4c6c813128.jpgMarch 25, 2015...about 142 lbs