NSV's

Options

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I just threw away a pair of trousers that were too big for me (and super unflattering) when I STARTED eating LCHF. This is a big deal for me, as I grew up learning that everything always has to be used up / eaten up / not wasted etc etc. My plan now is that each time I put on something on that is too big, and I have an alternative item in a smaller size that fits, the larger item gets thrown away. The thought of sitting down and sorting out all my clothes is too much right now, but this is a step in the right direction! I'm not intending to go shopping until I stop losing weight (I want to lose around 15 kg in total) unless absolutely necessary and instead make do with a much smaller selection of clothes, and do laundry more frequently! Of course, that will also make space for a shopping spree when I get there!!

And I jogged (very slowly!) 2.2km this morning without walking. I'm gradually increasing how far I go - I started on 1.6km last week and was super proud of myself to break the 2km mark yesterday :smiley: I'm going to do the local 5k park run on Saturday 30th September and my aim is to run more of it than I walk!

I agree with @Steph_Maks in regard to donating clothes. There are many worthwhile charities out there and many people who really need the help who can't afford new items.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Here's another option for donating work clothes that no longer fit but that are in good shape and not out of style. https://dressforsuccess.org/
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    We have Charities posting clothing bags through our letterbox every day of the week; from 'McMillan Nurses' to 'Help for Heroes'.
    Sadly however, leaving these bags out for collection on the requested day, is no guarantee that the Charity collectors will turn up; that they won't be stolen'; that they will get to where they're meant to go; that those "in charge" won't go through picking out the best garments to keep for themselves.

Our company will put points on your Reward Card for every garment you bring in, and they guarantee delivery to a certified central (Oxfam) Charity Warehouse and holding bay, until distributed accordingly.
    Members of my company's staff regularly 'volunteer' at the warehouse to assist in sorting, grading and sizing all the garments donated. There are always at least three staff members in attendance, every day. (Ostensibly, we're there to do our bit. But of course, we're also there to keep an eye on things and ensure... correct procedure. ;) )

Admittedly, some of the clothing turned in by our customers, is pretty dire in quality, if they donate it in a sealed bag. 9 times out of 10 though, we get to see it at the store counter, so we can "police" what comes through. Most of the things brought in are really very nice. And we're pretty certain - or as certain as we can be - the vast majority of what people donate, gets to where it's meant to go.

For those in the UK, my company is M&S.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Brilliant idea, @Chillycatmum , I think I might look up the same situation here! Thanks for the tip!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    That's great news, @lolliopopsnrainbows! Friends like that are worth their weight in gold! What a kind buddy! Glad you're back in the saddle!
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Sorry you've had the summer illnesses to deal with @Bouddie. Kudos though on not letting that knock you off course!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @mktom29 - KUDOS! That is a HUGE accomplishment. Congrats.